Not good... going to get checked - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 50 Old 06-23-2009, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That sounds very odd to me. At work, I know that if someone came in at 38 weeks with those symptoms they would want to induce, no question, and probably put you on mag if your BP didn't drop after the birth. What does your MW say?

CPST & mom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 50 Old 06-23-2009, 07:04 PM

Trust your instincts. Is there another hospital you could visit for a second opinion?

Listen to your gut and your body. If you need to go back after their shift has ended and see a new doc. Insist that they treat all of your symptoms and not just what the BP cuff is telling them.

I'm so sorry they aren't taking you seriously. Your health and your baby's health are more important than someone having an off day at work. Please go back if you feel you need to.

Hugs!!!
#33 of 50 Old 06-23-2009, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
: that all's well. That's so frustrating that you have no clear instructions on what to do. I agree with Cheshire that you should consider going to another hospital... I can tell you 100% that you would not have been sent home at the hospital I work with.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to my wonderful children: dd11, dd8, ds5 and 07/15

#34 of 50 Old 06-23-2009, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

I am having midwife care with the NHS - not a private midwife.
That means that even though my midwife is part of a group independent from the hospital, they ultimately must follow the general protocol and hospital rules if something goes wrong and I need be see there. That means, she does not try to override the doctors' decisions.
Besides, knowing that I want a homebirth, she maybe felt even less inclined to push for something else to be done. She did emphasize many times that I must again if something is wrong though - but as I said earlier, I don't know what that means now.

ETA - No, there is no other hospital.
You get the care from the hospital in your area.
You know what is funny? I used to be so relieved that here I did not have to go brought all the over the top precautions I went through in American hospitals. Now I am afrai that nobody is doing enough.
#35 of 50 Old 06-23-2009, 07:19 PM

Are they at least doing a 24 hour urine collection, to look at protein? The test stripes are notoriously inaccurate.

It is reassuring that your labs all look normal. The facial swelling and general malaise/nausea is concerning to me. Its normal to see swelling in extremities at this point in pregnancy.

Take lots of baths....water immersion is a natural way to lower blood pressure.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#36 of 50 Old 06-23-2009, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reha View Post
Are they at least doing a 24 hour urine collection, to look at protein? The test stripes are notoriously inaccurate.

No, no mention of such tests.
Just the strip when I got there, which showed +
#37 of 50 Old 06-23-2009, 08:29 PM

Oh mama, I am sorry that this is happening to you! I can't believe they just sent you home.

I trust my intuition, when I feel like there is something wrong with me or my body then it's usually right. Your intuition seems to be telling you that there's something wrong. Maybe you should call the hospital or your MW every time you take your BP and it's high and tell them what it is. The fact that you have all of these other things going on too is scary. I really hope that you get some answers and that everything is ok. I will be sending you lots of hugs and positive vibes!

Elijah Mercury (7/2009), TTC #2 with my new soon to be DH! Tattooed, 29 year old cancer survivor! treehugger.gif

#38 of 50 Old 06-23-2009, 08:36 PM

I can't believe they are not doing a full work-up including a 24 hour urine. You should have been monitored overnight with vitals every 2-4 hours. Please don't feel like a hypochondriac - high BP and swelling, and nausea and vomiting are very real symptoms that should be taken seriously. So is the protein on the stick - though I really, really can't believe they aren't having you do a 24 hour. Are they having you monitor your BP at home? I am a nurse and worked both at an OB office and at the hospital in L&D and this all seems just weird to me. Maybe the protocol is different in the UK. What blood tests did you have done? Are they going to repeat them in 24-48 hours?

I am feeling a lot of frustration for you :

I cannot stress this enough - if you ever feel concern or are worried about anything call the Ob. It's their job to take care of you and answer your questions. Please keep us posted.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#39 of 50 Old 06-23-2009, 09:10 PM

I don't have any medical advice for you, but I'm sorry you're getting the run around. I would be SO frustrated that no one seems to be hearing you. I like what the other poster said- if your BP remains high and you keep having other symptoms, I'd go back in when there's a different shift. That's just what I would do. Hugs to you, I'll be thinking of you!

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
#40 of 50 Old 06-23-2009, 10:49 PM

Keep hydrated and eat lots of protein. Don't hesitate to go back if things don't seem right, you do have the right to proper medical care. You will be in my thoughts!
#41 of 50 Old 06-23-2009, 10:57 PM

I agree with what everyone else has said. Do you know what blood tests were run? I don't really know what the "right" ones are but in my last pregnancy there was a whole PIH panel I had done at one point.

fingers crossed for you....
#42 of 50 Old 06-24-2009, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quindin View Post
No, no mention of such tests.
Just the strip when I got there, which showed +
Those strips are NOT accurate in ruling out or diagnosing pre-eclampsia or other such syndromes. They only give a snapshot of what is in your urine at that given time, and your protein level fluctuates wildly during the day. They are not quantitative either, though some strips claim they are. You need to know how much you are excreting per day, and the only way to do that is to collect all your urine for 24 hours. Oh, I hope you can get some better care soon.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to my wonderful children: dd11, dd8, ds5 and 07/15

#43 of 50 Old 06-24-2009, 12:50 AM

I am sorry that you are feeling so bad and not being taken seriously at the hospital. I agree that you should trust your instincts. You know your body and how you are feeling better than anyone. If you continue to not feel well and have high BP at home, go in again.
#44 of 50 Old 06-24-2009, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Update, Quindin?
#45 of 50 Old 06-24-2009, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Put on almost a whole extra kilo since yesterday morning...
I did not expect that

BP has been normal, and no protein in my home tests though.
Very, very tired, but no headache
#46 of 50 Old 06-24-2009, 05:33 PM

How are you feeling about it? What is your intuition telling you?
#47 of 50 Old 06-24-2009, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know what to feel about it or what to do next.
I feel deflate and powerless. I want DH to come with me Friday and help me speak up.

I am relieved that I got no high numbers today.
If only the baby would come soon, before things have time to go bad.
#48 of 50 Old 06-24-2009, 06:45 PM

(((hugs)))
#49 of 50 Old 06-24-2009, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
If the symptoms don't clear I would insist on the 24 hour urine collection. But with any luck, it was nothing, and everything will go normally with the rest of your pregnancy!
#50 of 50 Old 06-25-2009, 12:17 AM

yeah I agree, do whatever you need to do to get treated and have your symptoms respected. Mothers intuition in pregnancy is huge, and you have that plus some pretty big symptoms. If you're worried at any stage, go in there all guns blazing and demand the treatment you deserve I hope its nothing and it clears up soon.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page