Crafty mamas-show off your baby goods! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 07-02-2009, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a few things I've made so far. . .

baby alpaca cap

bamboo fleece gown (still need to put snaps on)

merino kimono wrap

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
#32 of 44 Old 07-02-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durafemina View Post
OMG that is gorgeous! Where did you find the pattern?

CPST & mom

#33 of 44 Old 07-02-2009, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
That hat looks so snuggly!

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#34 of 44 Old 07-02-2009, 07:49 PM

I wanted to make all kinds of stuff for this baby and ended up sidetracked with my husbands four month long job search and living with my parents with all of our stuff in storage for that whole time. We finally got settled into our own place last month and I have kinda run out of time.
The only thing I have made is a pouch sling. I had a ring sling with my first son but had problems with having enormous boobs and the rings digging into them no matter how I wore it. So this time I made a pouch sling to avoid that problem. It was soooo easy to make!! I am going to make up a few out of different fabrics. I am also planning on making a mai tei but haven't gotten started on it yet.
I wanted to make my own all in one or pocket cloth diapers but I have definately run out of time to do that. I have never made them before and it seems pretty time consuming. We still have some left from DS1 that will fit once DS2 is a few weeks old and I will probably just buy some more. It seems like between the cost of materials and the time involved to make them, I would be just as well off to buy some.

Bethany ~ Mama of two wonderful boys ♥ ♥  Wife to one amazing man ♥

Massage Therapist ~ Doula ~ Student Midwife

#35 of 44 Old 07-02-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
baby alpaca cap
OMG that is gorgeous! Where did you find the pattern?
it's free on Ravelry - the Aviatrix baby hat (or here)

it's a really fun, quick knit!

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
#36 of 44 Old 07-03-2009, 12:22 AM

Thank you so much for the link!! It's so cute.

CPST & mom

#37 of 44 Old 07-03-2009, 04:01 AM

I know! I'm tempted to make another one even. . .
have to finish all the boring stuff like breast pads & mama pads and tie-on diapers first.
Btw - I've been doing my breastpad with ovals of old (soft, fine) lambswool sweaters with a couple flannel layers. I found the wool did the best stay-dry, yet breathable job last time (much like the wool soakers ) and you can just rub some lanolin straight into them and they feel soooo nice on.

#38 of 44 Old 07-06-2009, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

A couple more FOs to share

Adorable pointy hat! It's being modeled by one of my cereal bowls.

And less exciting, a couple more burp cloths. I found a large piece of flannel in my stash I had forgotten about.

I still have lots of projects in the almost done pile.

#39 of 44 Old 07-06-2009, 02:50 PM

so inspiring! These are all awesome! I really want a sewing machine!!

mama to Quinn born 7.9.09, Audrey born 7.11.11, expecting baby3 July 19 2014
#40 of 44 Old 07-06-2009, 04:04 PM

I started on a pr of the Pimp My Longies after finally finishing baby's hat (nothing to write home about--just a kool-aid dyed blue basic roll brim hat) using leftover yarn- and realized I barely have enough to make the cuffs of the top and bottom with the matching yarn.... DOH!
I still need to make the boring stuff like breast pads, too, and still have yet to try making an AIO diaper or two...

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

#41 of 44 Old 07-08-2009, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Not the best pic, but here is a snap front sleeper I finally got the snaps and elastic done on.

#42 of 44 Old 07-08-2009, 06:13 AM

I'd like to make some wet-bags, and try my hand at some diaper-covers, but I'm still a bit of a novice.

Is there a specific name of the cloth I'd ask for that's waterproof- or do I just ask the lady at the cutting table for waterproof cloth?

Also, the Post Partum Pads- are they a lot better than disposable? I mean, obviously not going in the trash is a bonus (Green, yay!), but are they more comfy? What material do you use? I would venture to guess flannel.

I need to take pictures, but so far I've made: a reciving blanket, a LONG burp cloth for my tall DH, a pillow-case style sheet for my pram mattress, a hooded towel, some wash-cloths, and I am about to make a cover for a changing pad.

OMG I saved a lot just buying some foam on sale instead of one of those contored thingies. We're co-sleeping, so the top of our dresser will be our changing station, baby has no room of her own for now.

Blarg, blarg-blargity- BLARG!!!

#43 of 44 Old 07-08-2009, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

The waterproof fabric you're looking for is Polyurethane Laminate or PUL. You may not have much luck finding it in a local stores, though some Hancock's carry it (mine doesn't ) You can find it online in tons of places. The diaper making forum is a good place to find resources.

#44 of 44 Old 07-08-2009, 02:25 PM

Wow, everyone is so talented. I knit a little gnomey hat for the baby on Monday. You can see it here. I'm still working on the baby's blanket.

This might have already been asked, but what are everyone's favorite soaker patterns? I've knit the punk knitters one before, but it was for a charity (before I was pregnant) so I didn't get to try it. I also bought the Vanilla pattern a few days ago because it looked nice. Thoughts?

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page