Well...my water broke..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 07-04-2009, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I woke up at about 3:30 this morning because I had a small break in my waters. I put a pad under me and then went back to sleep since that doesn't mean that much and if labor was starting I knew I'd need the rest. I woke up again at 5:30, because of a contraction this time I think, I stood up and immediately had a flood I have called my midwives and let them know and am now getting some things done while I wait for active labor to start. My midwives policy is that I need to start active labor within 24hrs of my water breaking (5:30 a.m) so wish me luck

I can't believe she is going to be a few days early. I have been told so many times that it wasn't likely as she is my first. She isn't due till Tuesday though.

Mother to Juliette Elora (7-5-09) : Married to my best friend and DH Chris
Caretaker of two strange cats Pippin and Sylvie
#2 of 30 Old 07-04-2009, 08:49 AM

That is exciting! Sending easy labor vibes your way :

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

#3 of 30 Old 07-04-2009, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Woohoo! Come on baby!

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12
#4 of 30 Old 07-04-2009, 09:07 AM

Labor vibes!!

:

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#5 of 30 Old 07-04-2009, 09:39 AM

Yay-- I hope that the contractions start soon! Good for you for getting as much sleep as possible. I hope that you meet your baby today!

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#6 of 30 Old 07-04-2009, 10:11 AM

Yay! Wishing you a happy birth!

love.gif

#7 of 30 Old 07-04-2009, 11:19 AM

Hooray! Come on out baby
#8 of 30 Old 07-04-2009, 11:42 AM

So exciting!
I am amazed you were able to sleep after you realized your water had broken - I would have been to hyper. Good for you!!
Sending easy labor vibes your way! :
#9 of 30 Old 07-04-2009, 01:21 PM

Yea! Hoping it starts up soon for you, and sending you easy labor vibes!

Leigh

#10 of 30 Old 07-04-2009, 01:40 PM

Yay! I hope contractions start soon and you have an easy labor!

Elijah Mercury (7/2009), TTC #2 with my new soon to be DH! Tattooed, 29 year old cancer survivor! treehugger.gif

#11 of 30 Old 07-04-2009, 01:53 PM

Happy Labor!!!
#12 of 30 Old 07-04-2009, 04:19 PM

: Sending some labor vibes!
#13 of 30 Old 07-04-2009, 05:20 PM

Sending lots of easy labor vibes your way.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
#14 of 30 Old 07-04-2009, 05:56 PM

Good luck! Are going to try anything natural to get your labor going since you are on a time restraint? I hope everything goes well for you!!!

Bethany ~ Mama of two wonderful boys ♥ ♥  Wife to one amazing man ♥

Massage Therapist ~ Doula ~ Student Midwife

#15 of 30 Old 07-04-2009, 05:56 PM

Good Luck mama!! Sending you labor :

33 Year Old w/ a on the way w/ my DH. EDD 4/6/2011. Mama to Lotus Olivia 7/17/09 and fur mom to 1 and 1
#16 of 30 Old 07-04-2009, 06:05 PM

Yay! Labor vibes!!

CPST & mom

#17 of 30 Old 07-05-2009, 07:25 AM

: Good luck!
#18 of 30 Old 07-09-2009, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well....what was supposed to be a natural homebirth ended in an emergency c-section I am truly heartbroken about how things went but at the same time my little girl is gorgeous and I am so happy to have her and that she is healthy. I'm tying not to focus too much on the rest.

As I had said before my water broke at about 5:30 Saturday morning. Active labor did not start however until around 5:00 p.m. In the meantime I was just getting some things ready for the birth and the baby and enjoying the special day with my husband. My midwives had me try some natural methods to get labor going and then a bit later they had me take a labor tincture they had given me a few times. When labor finally did get going my doula came over followed shortly by the first of our midwives. I was having pretty regular contractions by then (about 4 mins apart) and some were getting very strong. For the most part they were in my back. The midwife checked the baby's heat rate and it was wonderful. She also did an internal exam and was a bit surprised by how soft the baby's head felt, however since the heart beat was defiantly low down in the stomach she thought that the baby was probably turning its head a bit so that it was the face she was feeling. At that point it was about 9 pm and I was 2cms and 75% effaced. She called the other midwife who started heading down to give a second opinion on the baby's position. Now my contractions started coming quicker and they were getting more and more intense. I had my mother come over for support and my husband started looking for a way to get the birth pool filled. When the second midwife arrived at around 11:30 she unfortunately confirmed what my first one had feared, that it seemed that the baby was coming butt first. They then suggested that we go into the hospital and get an ultrasound done to be sure. I was devastated. They did call the hospital before we went though and were given the impression by the midwife there that if it was a frank breach a vaginal birth was still a possibility. So we went in. The ultrasound confirmed that the baby was indeed butt first; her heart beat however was still perfect. I was by this time 6 cms dilated and though I was still working my way through the pain ok I was terrified to be at the hospital. Unfortunately it was at this point that we were told that they were infact not willing to attempt a breach birth, that none of the doctors on were qualified to do so and that a cesarean was my only option. I can't explain to you how I felt...I'm sure many of you can imagine. They whisked me off to a labor room and were shoving forms in my face and talking policy at me while I was going through intense contractions (I was 8cms dilated by now) and was crying and thoroughly terrified. Besides the normal sorrow pain and fear I have also never had surgery in my life, never been admitted to a hospital, never even had an IV. I don't know how I got through all of this; certainly the support of my husband, mother, doula and midwives was essential. I could not have done it otherwise. The hospital staff was very inconsiderate; I had become a case to them, an inanimate object to be worked on. My midwife had to practically herd them out of the room just to get them to give me 1 min of quiet to try to somewhat cope with everything. When we got down to the or I was 9cms dilated and in heavy transition. They at first wouldn't let anyone in with me for the spinal but fortunately my mother convinced the anesthesiologist that he needed to let her in. I think he gave in because she is a nurse herself. It was a good thing because that only way I got through that was by gripping onto her. Anyway to finish this incredibly long story, my husband switched in after the spinal and they delivered our baby by c-section at 4:29 Sunday morning. She is completely beautiful and wonderful, and we love her to death. I am still stunned at how everything turned out. We got home from the hospital today and I am so happy to be home but wish so much that I wasn't so enfeebled and could just enjoy being here with the baby. I know that will come in time and none of this will matter. The truly important thing is she is healthy. What gets to me the most is that I know we could have had her naturally. I could have gotten through labor, I was so close to the end and she was doing very well.

Anyway, sorry to write such a long story. I don't mean to sound so negative, I feel truly blessed to have my baby. I guess I am just thinking about it all a little more now that I am home again and see what could have been

Here are some pictures of our little beauty.
Her name is Juliette Elora and she is so very precious and wonderful. We are both blown away by her :

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...i/_IGP5870.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...i/_IGP5922.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...i/_IGP5955.jpg

Mother to Juliette Elora (7-5-09) : Married to my best friend and DH Chris
Caretaker of two strange cats Pippin and Sylvie
#19 of 30 Old 07-09-2009, 09:21 PM

Congratulations on your beautiful little Juliette.

I'm so sorry your birth had to go the route it did. I truly hope that you can enjoy your babymoon and find a way towards a healing path. Maybe the Healing Birth Trauma forum might help in time.

Take care of yourself mama, and enjoy that little girl.
#20 of 30 Old 07-09-2009, 10:17 PM

she is beautiful! Welcome earthside little one I am so sorry that the birth went like that and that they treated you that way.

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#21 of 30 Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 PM

Hugs, mama - but oh my your little angel is sooooo beautiful! She's perfectly named - enjoy your babymoon!

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

#22 of 30 Old 07-09-2009, 10:48 PM

I hope that you are soon able to only look forward. She is beautiful and looks very alert. I am truly sorry that you had the experience you did with the hospital staff. Clearly you shielded your daughter from the negative energy and had a wonderful support system of family and choice caretakers.:
#23 of 30 Old 07-09-2009, 11:34 PM

She is absolutely GORGEOUS!!
What a lucky little girl she is to have a mom who planned such a loving birth experience and who labored so hard until the last minute just because you knew it was the best for all of you. I agree with the PP how it is clear how well you shielded your baby from the negativity of the people there!

Nowadays it is nearly impossible to find professionals who are willing to attend a breech birth, particularly if it is a surprise breech. So if you were to begin imagining "what if"s, the surgery as an outcome would have been the same.
The lack of compassion and beside manners displayed by hospital personal is inexcusable, and when you have the energy you may consider writing them a letter of complain.

In the meantime, enjoy your babymoon! She is really a princess and her name suits her so well!
#24 of 30 Old 07-10-2009, 12:00 AM

Congrats, Mama and welcome baby! :
I am sorry your birth did not go as planned. I had a c-section with my first and it took me a long time to heal from the trauma. Please let me know if you need support. I am happy to be there.
Healthy healing!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#25 of 30 Old 07-10-2009, 08:09 AM

Congratulations, What a cute little baby! You have every right to feel the way you do and please do talk about that is why we are here. It is very difficult to have a homebirth turn ceasarian. Much peace and speedy healing.

Me, my Husband and three little Boys! 7, 5 and 7 1/2 months! Life is good!
#26 of 30 Old 07-10-2009, 08:24 AM

: Congratulations on your beautiful daughter! I agree with others you obviously shielded her from the negativity of those around you. I am sorry your birth didn't go as planned and I too would have been so overwhelmed with how quickly and significantly it changed. Take good care of yourself, along with that sweet baby!
#27 of 30 Old 07-10-2009, 10:23 AM

She is gorgeous, and you did an amazing job. You trusted your midwives and yourself to make the decisions that had to be made.
Who knows what might have happened if you had tried to birth her vaginally, with the lower heartbeat, etc.
Try not to dwell on the fact that you had a c-section in the end. You made it a long way through her birth and did the right thing.
Be proud, you are a strong mama!

mama to Journey (1/07) Sequoia (1/07) and Camellia (7/09)
#28 of 30 Old 07-10-2009, 11:35 AM

Congrats on your beautiful baby! She is just gorgeous.

I'm so sorry your birth turned out that way and you got treated so wrongly. (((HUGS)))

Leigh

#29 of 30 Old 07-10-2009, 04:20 PM

wow, she is gorgeous mama, congratulations! i am 37w4d and just had an unsuccessful attempt to turn our frank breech baby this morning, so i read your story with interest i'm so sorry for the way you were treated at the hospital and for the way things turned out with the actual birth but she is healthy and beautiful in the end, no matter how she got here. i feel really lucky to have an OB who is willing to allow me to deliver breech vaginally, and i feel calmly confident that i can. your story makes me even more convinced that it isn't impossible and that you were about to deliver successfully. anyway, thank you for sharing your story and congratulations again on your little one! :

ashley medschool mamasuperhero.gif, married to my sweetiejammin.gif , mama to edie q born 07/09carrot.gif and "bean #2" due 12/12 bellycast.gif, loving our life!joy.gif

#30 of 30 Old 07-10-2009, 06:21 PM

Congratulations on your beautiful baby!
If you feel you need it, ICAN is a good international organization that helps women who've had c-sections. There are local chapters/ support groups and some women I think find them really helpful in healing from the trauma. I know the woman who runs our local chapter and she is amazing.
Heal fast and enjoy your baby!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page