Any Other Tandem Nursing Mamas Yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-06-2009, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How is it going? For me, tandem nursing was a lot easier and more fun in theory than in practice...anyone else? I thought that it would make my girls closer and make me feel like I was giving each of them all I could, but I fear it's making me feel like I'm not giving either one enough, kwim? I'm sure a lot of this is the postpartum hormones talking...has anyone done this before, and can tell me it gets better???

My toddler is SO SO demanding when she wants milk, and will throw a fit if I don't give it to her, and then again when I unlatch her. My newborn, on the other hand, is pretty laid back about the whole thing...which makes it harder because I have to make sure that she is getting enough (esp. because she was only 6 pounds!) and I have to work at nursing her more since she is still sleepy.

I will say that it is getting easier as time goes on...but my feelings about the whole thing are still getting sorted out...

Sarah, loving wife to Michael (9/6/03), SAHM to my big girl Maya "Monkey" Grace (10/5/07) and my baby girl Charlotte "Bugsy" Mae (7/2/09) : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-06-2009, 10:48 AM

I'm so there with you!!! My toddler almost makes my skin crawl sometimes--I think just because he wants to nurse so much...and the nurse who did our home check up got me to latch them both on at he same time so now DS1 thinks he can nurse whenever DS2 nurses.

I have had a few sweet moments just nursing DS1 to sleep or something, but, I think I would enjoy it more if I didn't have someone attached to me or crying to be attached to me all day (and night!) long LOL
#3 of 8 Old 07-06-2009, 11:07 AM

I am not tandem nursing. My toddler weaned in February and the baby isn't due for a couple more weeks. I just wanted to suggest that you find out if there is a La Leche League Group that is for extended/tandem nursing in your area. When I was nursing my toddler the extended nursing group was a lifesaver. It meant so much to me to be able to go and relate to other women who had similar experiences. If you don't have a group, there is a great book from LLL called Adventures in Tandem Nursing that could maybe give you some perspective and support. (Like you have anytime to read! LOL!!)

Hang in there Mama and follow your heart. You have to find the balance that will work for you and your family. I hope that if you truly want to continue tandem nursing that it gets easier for you!!

Sending you love! You are an awesome Mama!!!!

Bethany ~ Mama of two wonderful boys ♥ ♥  Wife to one amazing man ♥

Massage Therapist ~ Doula ~ Student Midwife

#4 of 8 Old 07-06-2009, 03:48 PM

I tandem nursed my first two and intended to tandem 2 & 3 but ds2 weaned himself about a month ago. I didn't even realize it was happening. But with ds1&2 it worked out pretty well after the first couple of weeks working out the kinks. I can remember feeling like I couldn't nurse ds1 for a while and then once I got over the hump I nursed him for about a year longer. DS1 really slowed down once he realized that I wasn't forcing him to stop nursing but that the baby just needed more milk. We talked about it non stop, baby has no teeth, can't eat food like you can etc. If you want to do it mama, you will. It is hard at first but does get easier!

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

#5 of 8 Old 07-06-2009, 10:36 PM

Day 1 tandem nursing here.. It am handling ok, but i can't do 2 at once.. it makes my cramping much more painful.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#6 of 8 Old 07-06-2009, 11:58 PM

I'm in theory tandem nursing. I never ended up weaning DS2 who just turned 2. We were only nursing before nap and before bedtime. I just got home from being in the hospital for four days and my father-in-law put DS2 to bed so I'm not sure what we will end up doing. I've been really surprised he hasn't asked to nurse when he has seen me nursing the baby. He's so in love with her though that I almost wonder if he will just wean himself now. Only time will tell! I'd be a little sad if he does decide to wean but also relieved.

Jess ~mom to DS1 8/05, DS2 6/07, DD 7/09 and one surprise 5/11!
Melanoma survivor/patient. Diagnosed 11/09. Wear sunscreen. Check skin. See a derm.
#7 of 8 Old 07-07-2009, 09:54 AM

sitting in the wings of tandem nursing at the moment. . . but the last couple of days dd has been sick and wanting to nurse all the time - and it's so uncomfortable with the ensuing contractions & awkward positioning (I have no lap & she's getting heavy for me at 21 months).
She's in no position to stop now though. . . so. . . hoping to muddle my way through (I tried to find that tandem nursing book in town & no luck).

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
#8 of 8 Old 07-07-2009, 04:45 PM

I thought we might tandem nurse. DS mostly weaned during my pregnancy. . he would very occasionally latch on for a minute or so. He actually asked to nurse a couple of days before I gave birth. . but he totally didn't remember how to latch on. I thought that when my milk came in that he might figure it out again. I was feeling really full so offered him the opportunity to nurse. . just to help lighten the load a little bit. It seems pretty clear that he has completely forgotten how to latch on. Oh well, guess there won't be any tandem nursing here for us.

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page