Losing weight at the end? how much is ok? UPDATE - baby here - post #7 :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-06-2009, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and if it's too much, what would it mean???? I vaguely recall that it's not unusual to lose some at the end, but I feel like I'm losing too much.

At my appointment last week, I had lost 3.5 lbs from the week before. I figured it was fluid, because I had been sweating a lot at night, following daytime swelling. fine. But now I'm really not getting the daytime swelling anymore, but I'm still sweating at night, and still losing weight. Lost another pound since then; according to the scale, I lost a half pound just since yesterday.

Should this concern me? I assume there's some hormone shift going on, but if so, I thought I'd be delivering by now. I'm starting to think that the baby's posterior position is somehow delaying labor, because the rest of me feels really ready to go. (and all the spinningbabies in the world isn't getting him/her to budge - so I'm also concerned that there's a reason for the baby's position - like maybe a scary reason, like he's tied up in the cord or something - though I guess we won't find out until he/she is born, one way or another)

My next appointment isn't until Thursday, which seems like an eternity at this point Though it will include an NST, which should help my peace of mind. maybe. I hope. I know if the doc thinks the weight loss is a problem I'll hear about it. But I like to know what the possibilities are going in.
#2 of 14 Old 07-06-2009, 12:44 PM

Totally normal to lose weight in the end and it sounds like you are within a safe amount. Posterior can hold up labor but you aren't even 40 weeks are you? Baby might not be ready!
#3 of 14 Old 07-06-2009, 01:27 PM

I lost 4ish pounds in the last 2 weeks, after not gaining in the previous 2. Totally within the realm of normal, I believe

Sarah, loving wife to Michael (9/6/03), SAHM to my big girl Maya "Monkey" Grace (10/5/07) and my baby girl Charlotte "Bugsy" Mae (7/2/09) : :
#4 of 14 Old 07-06-2009, 03:40 PM

it's not nice to brag ladies.

I haven't lost a pound.

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

#5 of 14 Old 07-06-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli's mama View Post
it's not nice to brag ladies.

I haven't lost a pound.
:

After a month of no gain, I packed on over 3 last week.

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#6 of 14 Old 07-06-2009, 04:56 PM

I lost 10 in a week, I got reamed out today by my midwife. I just am going through a stressful time, coupled with a baby who is not giving me much room to store food and the heat, I am just not interested in eating much lately.
#7 of 14 Old 07-09-2009, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Update: baby girl born last night! fourth vbac, spontaneous labor, but it was weird. I'm still not sure when active labor started - in the middle of the night (wee hours of Wed. morning - thanks to that full moon?) I started having painful contractions with that menstrual crampy feeling - but only one per hour or so - big whoop. Obviously not active labor though I suspected it was early labor. Then they increased to about two per hour by lunchtime. Then it got painful to move around though they still didn't seem regular at all. I would have a huge one every time I got up (like off the toilet, where I spent considerable time trying to rid myself of the wretched constipation). Finally even though the babysitter wasn't back yet, I had DH and the kids drop me off at the hospital. I *really* wanted the epidural by then - the car ride had been difficult and very painful even though I only counted a few contractions in that time. (the pain was there in between contractions, just like last time.) I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to get the epi like last time. Indeed I got it and it was heaven

It was still a fast labor in spite of the epi - baby born less than 3 hrs after I got to the hospital, which was funny because I thought it was probably on the early side (it turned out I was at 5 cm when I got there - somehow I managed to walk myself inside and up to L&D because I was afraid the wheelchair ride would be worse ).

Baby was still posterior and stayed that way until the final moments - she turned just as I was about to push her out. Out in a couple easy pushes. I'm glad I got the epi also because before that my back was killing me on one side, presumably from the posterior position. That was a new experience and hurt like the dickens (it's still sore now).

just a little first degree tear - my easiest, most peaceful birth of all!!! A far cry from my unmedicated one thirteen months ago. We're in love with our sweetie pie Standard-sized for my babies, 6 lbs 11 oz at 38w4d

What a day - took the kids to swimming lessons in the morning, had a baby at dinnertime my first ever daytime labor. It's always got to be something different! time to feed her, again......
#8 of 14 Old 07-09-2009, 11:15 PM

congrats! Welcome earthside little one

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#9 of 14 Old 07-09-2009, 11:27 PM

Congratulations, mama!!
#10 of 14 Old 07-09-2009, 11:55 PM

Congratulations, mama! :

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

#11 of 14 Old 07-10-2009, 12:03 AM

Congrats Mama! Welcome baby! ::

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#12 of 14 Old 07-10-2009, 08:48 AM

: Congratulations, mama! Sounds like a pretty full day with swimming lessons and a birth! Welcome, baby!
#13 of 14 Old 07-10-2009, 10:16 AM

Ya-hoo! So glad you got the birth you wanted!!!

mama to Journey (1/07) Sequoia (1/07) and Camellia (7/09)
#14 of 14 Old 07-10-2009, 12:36 PM

Congrats! So glad it went the way you wanted! And quick too!

Leigh

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page