Membranes swept but... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2009, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...not very good news about progress...
Cervix is thick and I am only 1 stupid cm dilated!!
Even the midwife was a bit taken aback and then tried to cheer me up by saying "thick-ish"

I had been able to live with all my prodromal labor and pains by telling myself: 'Well, at least my body is doing its work and I am probably getting all soft and open every time it happens"
I did not, in my worst case scenario, expected to hear that!

Basically all this pain has been in vain.

Somebody just shoot me now!
There is NO WAY my cervix is going to soften up and open enough any time soon.

:

I think I am going to suggest to DH we all go out for a nice lunch at our favourite restaurant. Then I am going to buy a big chocolate Haagen-Dazs container, put on some music and go hide in my bedroom...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 08:13 AM

I don't think there's anything I can say to help, so just

Blarg, blarg-blargity- BLARG!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:37 AM

s mama! Not that this is typical, but let me tell you that with my first, I had a full 2 days of contractions, went to my midwife on the second night and got checked. I was only 1 cm! I couldn't believe it. She said "well probably not tonight, maybe tomorrow." So I went home. Had a glass of wine sat in the tub a bit, still contracting like mad and just being resigned to not having a baby anytime soon. Well by 1 am I knew something was happening, and by 3 am my baby was born. So it CAN happen.

I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

Old 07-07-2009, 08:59 AM

That's frustrating with all the prodromal labor

I had a cervix check the day before going into labor. 1-2cm, "some" effacement and floating.

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
Old 07-07-2009, 09:08 AM

How about spinningbabies.com after all the comfort food? And maybe some sex? Sometimes prodromal labor happens from the baby being not quite positioned correctly. And sex... well, besides the prostaglandins that soften the cervix... it just feels good. LOL!

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

Old 07-07-2009, 09:09 AM

Sending hugs, mama! I have been "stuck" at 2-3 cm dilated with 75% effacement for about 2 1/2 weeks now even though I've had several 12hr (and many shorter) periods of prodromal labor So I can sympathize!
Old 07-07-2009, 09:55 AM

There are lots of women who walk around 2-3cm dilated for weeks with no progress, and women who do not dilate even a tiny bit before labor starts. Every body is different and just because your cervix wasn't ready yesterday doesn't mean it isn't today! Hang in there, Mama. It will happen...

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 07-07-2009, 10:01 AM

I'm so sorry.

When I had DD, I was only a fingertip dilated the day before I was due, and the OB said my cervix wasn't ready to go into labor...BUT 12 hours later I was in labor.

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

Old 07-07-2009, 11:12 AM

oooohhhh boy, that does suck. sorry for my bluntness but you know you were thinking it! when i had mine stripped when i was preggo with ds, i was just 1-2 cm. idwife could barely get a finger i to do it, but, there wa my boy, in my arms, not 9 hours (4 of which were labor) later. dont loose heart mama. your cervix may not be dialting much but you uterus is strenthening for some good hard contractions, hopefully shortining your whole labor. prodromal labor is useful, promise. i had mine stripped a few days ago and i am 3 cm diallted and very soft in there and i have been putting a capsule of evening primrose oil in there each night. seems to have helped~ maybe try that~ after your hubby of course!

joyful mama to DS 2-05, open adoption birthmama to DD 5-07: and DS 6-98, and my littlest one 7-09. crazy in love with DH!
Old 07-07-2009, 11:54 AM

Quindin, I'm another one who at 39 wks, was *barely* 1cm with DS2's pregnancy and I was really bummed. However, by the next day I went into labor and had DS2. I was convinced labor would still be far away. So, you never know... keep your chin up.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:16 PM

Stay tough! Its hard not to get discouraged, and PP's have said this as well, but how dilated and effaced you are NOW, has nothing to do with when your body and baby will go into labor.

Nicole - Mom to FOUR healthy, happy, wild boys.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:30 PM

Quindin, I have seen women non-effaced, high, posterior cervixes (sp?) that have their baby within 24 hours of being checked. Anything is possible!

Also, aall of the contractions you are having *are* doing something. Dilation and effacement aren't the only things that your body does. Often times, its brining the cervix forward and getting baby into a nice position as well.

Your baby *will* come soon.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
Old 07-07-2009, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

I took the kids out all day and then when we got home DH took the kids so I could have a bath and he cooked nice dinner. Feeling better now

I found this interesting link about the differences between multiparas and first time moms when it comes to effacement: here
Hmm...

I bought some EPO which I have already taken + inserted, and I have talked to DH about continuing to help me along too

Thanks for the positive replies - and sorry for whining so much... :
Old 07-07-2009, 05:51 PM

I'd be willing to bet you $$$ that you go first. I've had preterm issues since 14 weeks and was 90% effaced at 36 weeks (with my second child), and my due date was yesterday. BUT I bet even though you feel like you haven't made any "progress" that you end up with a babe in arms before I do.

Just keep reminding yourself that you never know what's going to happen and effacing/dilating prior to labor is NOT a sign you're going to have the baby soon, necessarily.

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
Old 07-07-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quindin View Post
I found this interesting link about the differences between multiparas and first time moms when it comes to effacement: here
Hmm...
That was an interesting segment of that book. I'm in the FTM category and was effaced, but not dilated at all when I had my mw check last week. That makes me feel a little better knowing that is the way it is supposed to be. It seemed discouraging to hear I wasn't open at all, but I guess things are still moving and shaking in some way.

I hope you are holding your babe soon. This last part (with being patient and all) is definitely the hardest!

Brittany- Wife to Eric : Mama to Asher : born 7/15/09
Old 07-07-2009, 06:45 PM

Yeah, I meant to also mention that most multips don't really efface much before labor starts. That's why pre-labor cervical checks really mean nothing.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
Old 07-08-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reha View Post
Also, aall of the contractions you are having *are* doing something. Dilation and effacement aren't the only things that your body does. Often times, its brining the cervix forward and getting baby into a nice position as well.
I was going to post this as well. My MW both mentioned this and not getting enough water (especially in the hot summer) as reasons for prodomal labor. Even if you don't know exactly what the contractions are doing, they must be doing something!

love.gif

Old 07-08-2009, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Met at the hospital in order to schedule an induction (must be done ahead of time).

Under normal circumstances I would not even be thinking about that until week 42 because I know that due dates are just numbers. Besides, I REALLY want a homebirth.

The problem is: DH needs to go and teach at an yearly summer camp for 2 weeks on the 19th - the day I reach 42 weeks - so the baby needs to be born before then! My sister arrives on the 13th from the USA and will stay with me until August regardless, so I won't be alone
I am also 100% sure of when this baby was conceived so I know he/she won't be induced too early by mistake.

So I now know FOR SURE that I won't be pregnant beyond Tuesday, the 14th!
It is so amazing to finally see a light at the end of the tunnel!

In the meantime I am working to get the baby out before then with EPO, sex and walking
Old 07-08-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quindin View Post
Met at the hospital in order to schedule an induction (must be done aheadnof time).

Under normal circumstances I would not even be thinking about that until reaching week 42 because I REALLY want a homebirth and know that due dates are just numbers...
The problem is: DH needs to go and teach at an yearly summer camp for 2 weeks on the 19th - the day I reach 42 weeks.... (my sister arrives Monday from the USA and will stay with me until August regardless, so I won't be alone )
I am also 100% sure of when this baby was conceived so I know he/she won't be induced too early by mistake.

So I now know FOR SURE that I won't be pregnant beyond Tuesday, the 14th!
It is so amazing to finally see a light at the end of the tunnel!

In the meantime I am working to get the baby out before then with EPO, sex and walking

You must be very relieved!!

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

User Tag List