Birth control plans? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 07-08-2009, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really haven't thought about this, but my OB is insistent that we resolve this "problem" by 6w pp. I will not do bcp's because I hate taking anything like that and do not ever want to go back to the fake cycles that I had years ago. OB wants me to get a non-hormonal IUD, but I am not big on the thought of something jammed into my uterus, kwim? DH and I have never used condoms or diaphragms or anything of the sort in 10 yrs together. Good old NFP and withdrawal worked perfect until we wanted to TTC (which was quick too).

I know that after baby during bfing there can be stray ovulation occurring and I would like to wait for baby #2 for at least another 2 or so years.

What are your plans? What do you think about NFP/withdrawal?

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 36 Old 07-08-2009, 10:07 PM

I think this is the last baby for me. Dh thinks we should try again in a few years. I'm still young and so I think I'll just opt for the iud. Now I'm not sure which iud to go for.

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#3 of 36 Old 07-08-2009, 10:13 PM

My DH is getting a vasectomy. This is our third and last baby.
#4 of 36 Old 07-08-2009, 10:24 PM

laser beam.

for reasons cited by mags. (though ultimately i hate the finality of it all.)

2vbac mama to dd1-5 3/4, dd2 3, and ds- 07/10/09
#5 of 36 Old 07-08-2009, 10:26 PM

I'm not totally sure what we are going to do, but I would be very careful about IUD. Anyone I know who has had one ends up with nothing but trouble, i.e. serious infection, infertility, the works. We will likely have another child after this one (though hopefully not for a few years). I think we will probably use condoms for a while and then figure something else out. Where is that stupid male birth control pill they have been talking about for years? They make a pill for everything else. . .

Brittany- Wife to Eric : Mama to Asher : born 7/15/09
#6 of 36 Old 07-08-2009, 10:29 PM

We used NFP both for avoiding and conceiving, worked perfectly both ways.

Whatever you end up going with, don't let your OB pressure you into anything you don't want.

Amy, wife to Paul 5/20/01, SAHM to Daniel 5/23/07, Claire 7/15/09, and Elaine 9/4/12

#7 of 36 Old 07-08-2009, 10:36 PM

This is the last baby. We tried for 10 years to get pregnant with this one, and this pregnancy has been very difficult. We can NOT do this again. So it is a urologist appt for hubby.

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#8 of 36 Old 07-08-2009, 10:38 PM

I keep telling DH that until he gets snipped there will be no sex.

Unfortunately that is probably more difficult for me to follow through with. . .I'll be having the fit of my diaphragm checked at my 6 week appointment and there are always condoms.

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
#9 of 36 Old 07-08-2009, 10:55 PM

I'm going to try the copper T IUD (the non-hormonal one)...although if it makes my periods too heavy/crampy i'll prolly switch to the Mirena.

My doctor says that she doesn't like to put IUD's in until about 8-12 weeks postpartum. I think that *sucks* because it means i'll be using condoms for about 4-6 weeks...i freaking HATE condoms, but it's better than getting prego again, i suppose!
#10 of 36 Old 07-08-2009, 11:30 PM

I'll be doing the IUD again (Mirena). It worked well for us last time.

Leigh

#11 of 36 Old 07-08-2009, 11:42 PM

We'll probably use NFP or condoms (though I HATE condoms) but we haven't discussed it too much. I'm in the "the more the merrier" camp when it comes to kids, but DH would be happy stopping at 2 (which we now have). I do want to wait until Charlotte is a year old before throwing all caution to the wind, because my milk was gone by the time I was a month along this time (though that didn't stop ODD, Maya, from nursing through!). With tandem nursing I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get pregnant at all, but I know stranger things have happened

Sarah, loving wife to Michael (9/6/03), SAHM to my big girl Maya "Monkey" Grace (10/5/07) and my baby girl Charlotte "Bugsy" Mae (7/2/09) : :
#12 of 36 Old 07-09-2009, 12:08 AM

This is our third baby and likely our last. We have successfully used NFP for 12 years but I have to say for me personally, it is harder to use the fertility awareness method when breastfeeding. Taking my temp is always hard because I tend not to get longer chunks of sleep so my temp tends to be all over the place and I have a lot less cervical mucus when BF so its hard for me to tell when I'm ovulating. The whole time I am nervous. Once I get my cycle back, we supplement with condoms during the time I should be ovulating (my cycles are very regular). I don't look forward to that again and have considered trying another kind of birth control...of course, DH wants to get a vasectomy, which would solve all our problems. It just seems so final to me, I am having a hard time considering it as a real possibility.
#13 of 36 Old 07-09-2009, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I'm planning on going back to our NFP/condoms when fertile routine. I know it can be harder while breastfeeding, but I really did like it before. My sister always had really long periods of lactational ammenorhea, as in a couple of years long. So, if I'm like her, it may not be too much of an issue.

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#14 of 36 Old 07-09-2009, 01:31 AM

DH is getting the V as soon as he gets insurance. Hopefully bfing will work until then.. and probably condoms.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#15 of 36 Old 07-09-2009, 01:49 AM

I'll be doing NFP along with occasional condoms, to be on the safe side, until I get my cycles back. Its that ovulating before the first post-baby period that scares me! I don't mind having a 3rd baby, but I really don't want to get pregnant before this current baby is 18 months old.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#16 of 36 Old 07-09-2009, 01:54 AM

After ds was born, my dr talked to me about bc at my 6 week appt. I looked at her like she was crazy! Sex? Now? Are you kidding? DS was 9 lbs 11 oz and I had a painful recovery, there was NO way I was letting my dh anywhere near me.

We didn't use anything between having ds and getting pg w/ this one. I didn't cycle until ds was almost 9 months old, and we started trying right away for this one. It took 8 months.

SO, knowing that we do want a 3rd child, and how long it took to conceive this one, we probably won't use anything this time either- although we'll probably practice a little of the fertility awareness until we're ready. That sounds silly..."practice a little". Hmmm. I might need ot rethink this.

I've had 3 friends whose dh's got the big V this spring. To me that just seems so....final. DH feels this way too. Maybe we'll feel differently after #3.

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
#17 of 36 Old 07-09-2009, 02:59 AM

I can't do hormones of any kind and IUDs fall out (big uterus)

We will do NFP combined with a barrier for each of us (cervical cap or diaphragm + condoms) Paranoid, but my sister had a condom baby and I know of a diaphragm baby, too. Then I might even throw in a Persona fertility monitor once I am not breastfeeding anymore (it only works well when the lactation hormones are gone)

People almost get angry at us when they ask hear we won't sterilized, even though we feel like is 6 is enough... The thing is that I also thought that 2 was enough 9 years ago, and see how much our minds have changed! So no, we are not ready to take that step yet - even though we DON'T want to get pregnant again! Crazy, I know...
#18 of 36 Old 07-09-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
My DH is getting a vasectomy. This is our third and last baby.
Us too ... DH is pretty adamant about it
#19 of 36 Old 07-09-2009, 03:21 AM

I didn't get my period back postpartum last time until DD was like 1.5 yrs old, so I'm not SUPER concerned about it. Plus, it took 2 yrs to conceive my 2 y.o., and I got pregnant a few cycles after I started cycling again this time. I guess since I know we're not done I'm just not going to stress about it. I feel like I know my fertility signs pretty well that if I started to get fertile I'd know and if we weren't quite ready we could do something about it. So I guess I'm in the nothing camp haha.
#20 of 36 Old 07-09-2009, 03:30 AM

We use VCF (vaginal contraceptive film) which has worked great. It's a spermicide.

I had PCOS so I never knew exactly when (or if) I'd ovulate. I was pregnant a few months after we stopped using it.

It's relatively simple to use, you insert it (foreplay is a great time for that ) and in 15 minutes it has disolved and is ready kill off any little swimmers.

Soooo much better than condoms. DH introduced me to VCF, he and his ex used to use it too, and it worked for them for years- so I have more evidence than just my experiance.

We're going back to that soon as I'm up for intimacey again.

Blarg, blarg-blargity- BLARG!!!

#21 of 36 Old 07-09-2009, 08:00 AM

I think we're doing condoms and FAM for the first little while. Depending on how that goes (like if it goes badly w/r/t getting enough sleep to temp, etc.) then I might consider a non-hormonal IUD. I don't want to even THINK about getting pregnant again until LO has had a year of breastmilk. We do plan on more than one child, though, so if it happened it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#22 of 36 Old 07-09-2009, 08:06 AM

DH is considering a vasectomy. I'm not so sure. We agreed this should be our last. But I don't like anything that final. I don't usually get AF back for around 19 months and have never gotten pg without it. so we have a little time to decide.

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

#23 of 36 Old 07-09-2009, 10:34 AM

Dh is getting a vasectomy. We have 2 children together and he has a 3rd child from a previous relationship. We are both happy with our family size and have decided that if we feel the need to expand our family in the future, we would like to go the adoption route.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
#24 of 36 Old 07-09-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldmanBaby09 View Post
I'm not totally sure what we are going to do, but I would be very careful about IUD. Anyone I know who has had one ends up with nothing but trouble, i.e. serious infection, infertility, the works.
I had one (copper) for over 2 years with no problems, other than just getting used to it at first (random cramps for the first few months). After that it was awesome to not have to think about anything!

We're done after this babe, so the big V is in order for DH. Until that is in effect (since it takes a few months to be truly effective) we'll probably be using some sort of spermicide/pull out/lam combo. Just the pull out method does NOT work for us! Both of our babies were conceived using that method!

I think the only problem will actually be getting DH to the initial doctors visit. He's all for the V, but is a big huge baby about going to the doc and hasn't been in nearly 10 years. Since he was in the Army and physicals were required!

Kristen - doula and birth educator, wife to Ben and mama to Sydney Mu (8/06) and Cal Edward (7/09) :
#25 of 36 Old 07-09-2009, 11:58 AM

I'm going to get the Mirena IUD - I've only talked to people with good experiences and my MW thinks they are awesome. I don't want to take the pill, hate condoms, and withdrawal seems too risky when I will be in school full-time. Neither one of us wants to do anything permanent, because although this might be the last baby, never say never.

love.gif

#26 of 36 Old 07-09-2009, 12:52 PM

I have no idea. After DD, we used abstinence for a while (I had some healing problems). I didn't get my period back until DD was 20 months. Before that we were just using the withdrawal method. Then we used condoms for a while, until I got sick of them. Then we went back to withdrawal for 6 months or so before we started TTC, and I got pg the first month. If this baby is "easy" (DD was colicky and very high needs), then DH might agree to have another one, in which case we will probably just use the same methods we did before. If we decide we are done, then he can get a vasectomy.

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

#27 of 36 Old 07-09-2009, 02:45 PM

OK, so here is my related question:
I had my baby this morning and with labor fresh in my mind I don't want to do it again. but I know memory fades fast
How soon after giving birth is too soon to say no more kids because of birth
#28 of 36 Old 07-09-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniellasMommy View Post
I had my baby this morning and with labor fresh in my mind I don't want to do it again. but I know memory fades fast
: Congratulations! I think you have to give it some time before you decide if you want anymore kids RIGHT after giving birth! For me it also took getting consistent long stretches of sleep before we decided on #2 and for #3 it took even longer than that!!!
#29 of 36 Old 07-14-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniellasMommy View Post
How soon after giving birth is too soon to say no more kids because of birth
Congratulations! It took me about 2 months to get over giving birth and decide that another child would be welcome. I tried to get a Mirena put in but apparantly, my uturus is shapped oddly and it wouldn't stay in. I tried the mini-pill but couldn't remember to take it. I just gave up and said, "you know what? I think I want another one anyway and I want that 2nd one as soon as possible." So, that ended birth control after Sam's birth.

This time, we are done done done with 2. Anika isn't born yet so it isn't the labor talking . My DH has pretty much agreed to the vasectomy. I've told him he should start working on getting a dr. and appt. so that he is good to go once I am healed but he is dragging his feet. He knows though that there won't be any activity until it is done since I don't want to take any chances.
#30 of 36 Old 07-14-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quindin View Post
I
People almost get angry at us when they ask hear we won't sterilized, even though we feel like is 6 is enough...
Wow, that is pretty darned rude of these people! How is your birth control any of their business to begin with??

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page