Vitamin D? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-23-2009, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need to know if anyone has any info on this. My pediatrician told me to give my daughter oral vitamins. When I questioned her on why my baby would need extra vitamins since she should be getting plenty of what she needs from my breastmilk she told me that vitamin D is blocked in breastmilk. Is this true at all? Does anyone know if there is any real reason to think a bf baby wouldn't be getting enough vitamin D?

Mother to Juliette Elora (7-5-09) : Married to my best friend and DH Chris
Caretaker of two strange cats Pippin and Sylvie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-23-2009, 11:05 AM

Sorry to crash your ddc! Here is some good information on vitamin D for breastfeeding infants. Just because vitamin D is added to formula does not mean it is lacking in breastmilk (although there sure are a lots of docs out there who think that).

Some good take away lines to share with an uninformed pediatrician include:

Quote:
babies rarely need vitamin D supplements
Quote:
The amount of vitamin D in human milk is small: 0.5-3.4 µg/liter (20-136 IU/liter) [Hamosh 1991, Good Mojab 2002] in mothers who are not vitamin D deficient. However, the vitamin D in human milk is in a form that is very easily used by the baby and therefore adequate for most infants, when combined with a small amount of sun exposure.
Quote:
The best way to get vitamin D, the way that our bodies were designed to get the vast majority of our vitamin D, is from modest sun exposure. Going outside regularly is generally all that is required for you or your baby to generate adequate amounts of vitamin D.
Quote:
World Health Organization information [Butte 2002, p. 27 ] states, "Two hours is the required minimum weekly amount of sunlight for infants if only the face is exposed, or 30 minutes if the upper and lower extremities are exposed." This guideline is from a study [Specker 1985] of exclusively breastfed Caucasian infants under six months old at latitude 39°N (Cincinnati, Ohio, USA). Darker skinned infants may require a longer time outside (three to six times the sunlight exposure) to generate the same amount of vitamin D [Good Mojab 2002].

It is not necessary to get sun exposure every single day, as the body stores vitamin D for future use. Per [Good Mojab 2003], "Studies have shown that children can store enough vitamin D to avoid deficiency for several months when they are exposed to only a few hours of summer sunlight."

"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." -Isaac Asimov read.gif

#3 of 6 Old 07-23-2009, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't think the doctor could be right about that but I wanted some confirmation. Thanks for the information.

Mother to Juliette Elora (7-5-09) : Married to my best friend and DH Chris
Caretaker of two strange cats Pippin and Sylvie
#4 of 6 Old 07-23-2009, 02:12 PM

I am glad you posted this. Our pediatrician told my DH that we should give our baby oral vitamins too, and mentioned the thing about vitamin D. When he came home and told me this I was pretty much like "uh no, our baby does not need vitamins"

Elijah Mercury (7/2009), TTC #2 with my new soon to be DH! Tattooed, 29 year old cancer survivor! treehugger.gif

#5 of 6 Old 07-23-2009, 02:56 PM

Our pediatrician NEVEr mentioned giving her vitamins. He DID tell us to get her outside in the sun for 10-15 minutes for Vit. D b/c of it not being transferred through the breast milk as well.

33 Year Old w/ a on the way w/ my DH. EDD 4/6/2011. Mama to Lotus Olivia 7/17/09 and fur mom to 1 and 1
#6 of 6 Old 07-24-2009, 12:15 PM

It's because it's part of the standard AAP recommendations.

Because of the sunscreen epidemic many women do not have adequate vit. D levels (the range is somewhere between 80 and 30, and most are around 30--which really isn't adequate).

Vit. D does pass from mother to babe, but only if mother has enough.

Get your levels checked---vit. D is a very important component---your body depends on it for manymany other functions.

I will be taking my babe outside under the clear sky so she gets some sun, but I also know my vit.D level---87, and wouldn't supplement my baby, if anything I would add D to what I take.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page