Mothering Forum banner

Lennon Thomas <3 (added birth story)

687 views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  learnlovebe 
#1 ·
He was *almost* a C-section but came out just in the nick of time! I'll try to post a birth story later

http://www.newbabynews.net/hospitals...981403&r=0&st=

Let me just say, I didn't have a natural birth...and was a little hesitant to post this here...

I'm going to attempt to get this birth-ish story out before the baby wakes up, but considering he's been sleeping for about an hour now...i'm prolly running out of time. So hey, why don't i just cut the chit-chat and get down to business, right? Right.

Soooo...this was a totally different experience than with Araseli. With Bean, I had normal contrations the progressively got stronger, went to the hospital, water broke, had my kid naturally (epidural dude was in the operating room...i wanted one, though). Had stitches, ouch, etc. etc.

With Lennon...well, me and Sterling were enjoying our day off together. We went to see Harry Potter (it was okay), ate yummy greek food, we were just relaxing. We were snuggling in bed around 11pm on Sunday night and I felt a, um, leak? I was like...did I seriously just pee? Haha...okay, so I don't wet the bed - but it was very odd. I jumped up and rushed to the bathroom. Apparently, my water broke...well, it was like a leak, really. Not some theatrical water breaking you'd see in the movies.

It was gross, though.

When i opened the bathroom door Sterling was anxiously waiting on the other side of it - half excited looking, half freaked out looking. I told him I was pretty sure my water broke and we called the doctor. He said I should probably come in to be checked.

Let me just add - I wasn't having any contractions. Not really. And i hadn't been for a couple of days, either. I was feeling kinda crampy earlier that night, but that was all. Sooo...what did we do? Well, i cleaned the bedroom, packed a few more things - Sterling cleaned the kitchen, and we finally took off. Still no cramping.

When we got to the hospital they put me in a sort of waiting room and checked me. I was still only 3cm dialated. My cervix wasn't soft. Fetal moniter. Baby was okay. Around 1am on Monday they finally put me in a labor/delivery room and hooked me up to another moniter (external) and told me to sleep - that hopefully labor would progress naturally overnight. We slept some. Not much. Really, about 3 hours, non consecutive. It's hard to sleep when someones checking on you all night, and you're leaking (gushing?) water!

The baby has "variables". When i contract he his heart rate slowed a LOT....thus the constant monitering. It was nerve wracking.

Morning - around 6am. Nurse comes in and checks me. Still 3cm. Still no contractions. She hooks me up to an IV to give me fluids and to get ready for the pitocin - because they are going to have to induce me at this point. I'm hungry but can't eat anything but disgusting orange jello. Blech. I hadn't ate since 10pm the night before (we had a late dinner, lol). I keep having to pee...nurse keeps having to unhook me from moniters and i think she's annoyed. Thankfully, she wasn't my delivery nurse. Wasn't very friendly. Doctor gives me pitocin around 8am (i think).

I start contracting but my cervix isn't softening or getting bigger. Well, by around 2pm i was about a 5-6cm and everyone was starting to talk about other options (ie: c-section). Just preparing me. I had an epidural. It was SUCH a relief. My contrax were getting pretty painful. I was naseaus. Shaking uncontrollably. Sterling was the only one in there with me - I just wanted him. I apologized for being boring, because I wasn't all chatty - just laying there in the zone, occasionally eating ice chips. He assured me not to worry (lol). He was amazing.

The baby kept having trouble. They mentioned the cord was probably around his neck. They had me get on all fours to see if he would turn and I did. Yes, my legs were numb. Yes, embarrassing. I was also wearing an oxygen mask at this point. And leave it to me, to be in THIS position and kinda give Sterling the "hey, lets do it" face, hahaha...or at least i tried to. Okay, i was mortified and trying to lighten the mood!

Internal monitering now. Still 5-6cm. They finally called my doctor to come in (i had another doctor checking on me, but Dr. Kim was coming in to deliver). The other doctor was telling me the baby is stressed and nothing is working (They turned off the pitocin around 4:10pm to see if THIS would help, that maybe they were pushing the baby too hard...it didn't help at all). I was getting mentally prepared for a C-section. They were going to take me. I was just staring at Sterling, terrified, pretty much. I did NOT want a C-section, but clearly, this baby wasn't going to come on his own and I wanted him to be okay.

I felt pressure just at that moment. I told the nurses, they somewhat ignored me. I felt pressure again and told them - they checked and I was fully dialated and his head was *right* there. They told me to push...I did. Dr. Kim came in right when the head was crowning. I pushed for maybe 4 minutes and he came out. It was 4:32pm. Sterling cut the cord. It was amazing. It really didn't hurt. I was amazed, and SO thankful that he decided to come! Perfect timing, Lennon!!

I didn't have any tearing at all. My placenta came out in one or two pieces (with Bean it was in mutiple pieces and Dr. Kim had to manually remove it...yes, more unpleasant than it sounds!). My numbness was wearing off. Sweet!

Most importantly, Lennon was healthy! He did have the cord twisted around his neck. The doctor gave him to me and I pretty much nursed him right away (while I delivered my placenta). When my placenta was out (it was uncomfortable, so i wanted to hold/nurse Lennon to distract myself while Dr. Kim was doing this) I gave Lennon to Sterling. It was so precious to see them together. I felt so happy and so much love <3

Sterling was the only one in the room with me...he was amazing and supportive, I'm sure he was scared (I know i was) but he didn't let on, and just kept telling me it would be okay and that he loves me. I was impressed that i didn't need my mommy, lol. My parents were there, btw - waiting in the lobby (they came the night before and stayed at our place while i was in the hospital).

Araseli wasn't able to come to the hospital. No one under age 12 was allowed in due to about 14 cases of swine flu locally. We were able to check out of the hospital at 11:00am on the 21st though, and she came to the house around 2pm to meet her brother. She loves him. She thinks he's adorable, and even though she thinks "boy kisses" are gross, and swore not to kiss him - she kissed him a bunch

See less See more
#8 ·
Yay! Congratulations, mama!

I just have to tell you....I've never met anyone else with my name (Lennon), so I was excited to see you named your boy that. I was born a few months after John Lennon was killed, so my parents decided upon my name, if I was a boy or girl.

But, then I saw that your husband's name is sterling! That's my sister's name!
. Too funny!

#11 ·
oh- and i already know there'll be more interventions than i'd planned for at the birth of my little guy in less than 3 weeks. i know i'll be induced- just hopefully not cut!

#12 ·
He's so cute! An August mama here lurking. I am giving birth at Riverbend due to the closing of the birth center. I hope by then they've lifted that ban on visitors under 12- I want DD to come.

Glad to hear it went well!

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reha View Post
Yay! Congratulations, mama!

I just have to tell you....I've never met anyone else with my name (Lennon), so I was excited to see you named your boy that. I was born a few months after John Lennon was killed, so my parents decided upon my name, if I was a boy or girl.

But, then I saw that your husband's name is sterling! That's my sister's name!
. Too funny!
nak

lol! i'll have to tell dh that when he gets home!

#15 ·
What a great story! I'm glad everything worked out really well for you and babe in the end!
Congrats on your new bundle.

And what Reha said is hilarious!
What a coincidence!

#16 ·
I'm very glad you posted. Congratulations on your birth, and I *LOVE* the name. Welcome to the world, Lennon!
:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.