I broke my own record at 11 days postpartum - ugh! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-31-2009, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got my period!!!! :: :

With my DD it took all of 3 weeks. This time I am down to 11 days! WTF. Yes, I am exclusively breastfeeding. In fact I make enough milk to feed 10 babies and it is constantly spilling all over my lap (over supply problems). I was feeling down 2 nights ago and even crying because baby was awake and I didn't want to be. Well, bam, the next day there's the period. And with it, increased crotch pain, tons of bleeding, just ugh. Yes, I am sure it is my monthly friend. Maybe I could have babies 10 months apart :

, , , , , to DD1 (4.5 years old) and DD2 (7 months) and 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 07-31-2009, 01:47 PM

Postpartum bleeding can last for up to 10 weeks, how can you tell the difference? Many women get a mini period at 6 months and then go back to no bleeding. I'm 2 weeks postpartum and my bleeding just increased heavily with cramping but i'm also singlehandly raising 6 children.
#3 of 16 Old 07-31-2009, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

I can tell because I had very clear PMS that went away when the period started. My bleeding had gone down to just clots and a small amount of brownish blood and than the morning after the PMS it was suddenly overfilling pads and really heavy and red - exactly like my periods are. And now it is tapering off, exactly like my periods. And, with my first DD, I had very minor spotting throughout the pregnancy right on my cycles (did not have that this time) and the 3 week postpartum period then was right on cycle - and I had another one at 7 weeks, and another one at 11 weeks, and so on and on. My period bleeding is very different then the lagging postpartum bleed.

#4 of 16 Old 07-31-2009, 02:17 PM

I am thinking that it's not physically possible?

I mean, the shortest cycle ever has to be still more than 11 days, right?

Let's assume your cycle started the day after you birthed (I can't even conceive of it starting the very day).

Let's say you ovulated only 6 days later, an incredibly short ovulation time.

But then I don't think that even abnormally short luteal phases go under maybe 8 days?

So that at minimum is 15 days after birth - and we're assuming just a really, really, absolutely abnormally short cycle.

Certainly your hormones are in flux and can cause PMS-type symptoms. But I absolutely cannot imagine that you actually ovulated in that time.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#5 of 16 Old 07-31-2009, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I am probably not actually ovulating. But, there are people who have "period-like" things THROUGHOUT the pregnancy. And I had something similar to this, but just spotting, with my first. Whatever it is biologically - it is the exact same symptomwise as a period for me and with my first they continued on right on schedule.

I know my body, and I am having the entire host of symptoms that go along with a period.

#6 of 16 Old 07-31-2009, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
I am thinking that it's not physically possible?

I mean, the shortest cycle ever has to be still more than 11 days, right?

Let's assume your cycle started the day after you birthed (I can't even conceive of it starting the very day).

Let's say you ovulated only 6 days later, an incredibly short ovulation time.

But then I don't think that even abnormally short luteal phases go under maybe 8 days?

So that at minimum is 15 days after birth - and we're assuming just a really, really, absolutely abnormally short cycle.

Certainly your hormones are in flux and can cause PMS-type symptoms. But I absolutely cannot imagine that you actually ovulated in that time.
I like how you are logic-ing through that. Where you are logic goes awry, however, is that I cycle through my pregnancies. So I was in the middle of my cycle when I gave birth. I don't know how but I am just one of those really weird women who doesn't get a break from my period. And no, I don't actually think I am ovulating - but that is based on nothing other than it sounds unlikely.

#7 of 16 Old 08-01-2009, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Whatever it is, that stinks mama I did read a thread here once where a mama discovered she was pregnant again at her 6 week postpartum checkup . Crazy as it sounds, it is possible for some women I guess.

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#8 of 16 Old 08-01-2009, 04:44 AM

Holy crap, you get your period while pregnant too? You poor, poor woman

CPST & mom

#9 of 16 Old 08-01-2009, 11:47 AM

That stinks.

My mom has a theory that early return of periods in breastfeeding moms has to do with oversupply and the babies not having to suck as hard...it's proved true with her and me with my first, and several others in our LLL group. Ugh...11 days is horrible though!
#10 of 16 Old 08-01-2009, 12:40 PM

ugh!! Yeah, I was wondering how you could tell the difference. I bled for SO long after my daughter's birth, I couldn't fathom how you could know if it was a period or not But... that STINKS and I'm sorry

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#11 of 16 Old 08-01-2009, 02:11 PM

I don't know what it is, but it isn't your period - you just can't ovulate when you're pregnant.

I'm sure it's something, but it's not your period.
#12 of 16 Old 08-01-2009, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post
That stinks.

My mom has a theory that early return of periods in breastfeeding moms has to do with oversupply and the babies not having to suck as hard...it's proved true with her and me with my first, and several others in our LLL group. Ugh...11 days is horrible though!
That makes a lot of sense! My babe often just lays there latched and lets the milk drip into her mouth! I am a full force faucet that doesn't have an off switch - lol.

#13 of 16 Old 08-01-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naupakamama View Post
I got my period!!!! :: :

With my DD it took all of 3 weeks. This time I am down to 11 days! WTF. Yes, I am exclusively breastfeeding. In fact I make enough milk to feed 10 babies and it is constantly spilling all over my lap (over supply problems). I was feeling down 2 nights ago and even crying because baby was awake and I didn't want to be. Well, bam, the next day there's the period. And with it, increased crotch pain, tons of bleeding, just ugh. Yes, I am sure it is my monthly friend. Maybe I could have babies 10 months apart :
that is one cruel joke mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashells View Post
I don't know what it is, but it isn't your period - you just can't ovulate when you're pregnant.

I'm sure it's something, but it's not your period.
you don't have to ovulate to get a period. many women have annovulatory cycles quite often.
#14 of 16 Old 08-03-2009, 12:23 AM

Extra magnesium might help you with oversupply, if you want that...

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#15 of 16 Old 08-03-2009, 12:51 AM

I do believe it's called deciduous/decidual bleeding when you have "periods" during pregnancy. Often hormone related (as in even your whacky pregnancy hormones are out of whack ).

Periods can return pretty fast PP. Like other pp's have said it's not a real period. They are anovulatory and therefore not considered "menstrual". (and yes lp can be shorter than 8 days....mine once they return start at 4-5 days and slowly get longer...the one before I conceived this time was 7. )

Sorry op. That sucks. I have a friend that that happens with. I do not envy her.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#16 of 16 Old 08-03-2009, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
Extra magnesium might help you with oversupply, if you want that...
I haven't heard that, can you give me more info? How much to take, etc? I have some calcium magnesium citrate pills. Is it the calcium/magnesium balance or just a general lack of magnesium?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page