pp body issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 08-03-2009, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I loved my cute round pg body because I knew there was my ds inside of me and it all seemed so beautiful. Now that he is out and I am so happy to be with him on the outside, I feel like my body is empty and ugly. I know this is vain and stupid but my squishy fat tummy that is preventing any clothing from fitting is really starting to bring me down. Maybe I thought that by 2w pp things would be back to normal? I gained around 29 lbs so I must have lost at least half of that by now and the other half is orbiting my mid-section, thighs, arms, etc.

I just do not feel attractive. My leaky boobs that are lopsided half the day when ds only nurses on one are not helping either. I have started to exercise slowly and I am eating healthy but I was just not prepared for this miserable in between.

I felt a million times worse when dh and I were at a restaurant recently and there was a table nearby with 2 new babes. We overheard one mama say she was 7w pp and the girl was smokin hot- which dh could not help but notice. There was no way you would know she had had a baby recently.

Anyone else feeling this way? Any positive stories? ( by positive I do not mean "I walked out of the hospital in size 0 jeans" )

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#2 of 21 Old 08-03-2009, 04:08 PM

I'm adjusting to my postpartum body too. The stretch marks that showed in the 3rd trimester are much more prominent now. I've been wearing a postpartum belly support band that helped with the shrinking belly. I know it's shallow but I'm really hoping not to get the loose skin that is hard to get rid of.
#3 of 21 Old 08-03-2009, 04:13 PM

I felt the exact same way after DS was born. I guess I had expected that once he was on the outside, I would just slip back into all my old clothes and be the same person I was before pregnancy. Boy, was I shocked to find out that wasn't the case at all! To make things even worse, I broke my foot when I was 8 weeks postpartum and had to limit my activity for 6 MONTHS!! I couldn't even exercise to get rid of the baby flab! And I was one hot lady before the baby invaded my body, so this was very depressing for me.

But, even though it took me longer than most because of the injury, I eventually got my body back. I had gained 50# with him, so it came off but took a while. I had to watch what I ate (never really had to do that before) and exercise regularly - it was the one thing I really made time for and it really, really helped me out of my funk.

Then, just when things were back to normal, I found out I was pregnant again! I was so frustrated because I just wanted a few months to enjoy my body! But I have to say that this time around, my attitude is completely different - I really don't have the same frustration that I had last time. At 2 weeks postpartum I feel really strong and healthy and even though I have around 20# to loose, I am ready for the challenge! As soon as my bleeding stops I am going to run like the wind!

Give yourself time, Mama!! You will feel good again soon. Its only been 2 weeks! Just take it one day at a time.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#4 of 21 Old 08-03-2009, 04:47 PM

I feel you. I think it's hard to handle that even if you lose the weight pretty quickly, your hips (or at least mine) are wider for a while. I've lost all but 10 pounds, but I'm still not even fitting comfortably in size 10 (I was a 4 before). Last time, it took about 4 months before I felt pretty good, and it was 9 months before my body forgot that it had ever been pregnant.

Bed sharing, baby wearing, breastfeeding mama of Vonn (dob 12/9/07) and Reuben (dob 7/17/09).
#5 of 21 Old 08-03-2009, 05:10 PM

It took 9 months to grow your baby, and (unfortunately) it takes a while to get your body back. I feel pretty flabby and gross at 2 weeks pp.

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

#6 of 21 Old 08-03-2009, 05:20 PM

Check out http://theshapeofamother.com/

Has helped me immensely in coming to terms with my own body!
#7 of 21 Old 08-03-2009, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I've been feeling a bit shallow and silly about my body too. I'm only 8 days post partum, and I think considering that, I'm probably doing very well. I didn't put on as much weight as I thought I would, and I was definitely not trying to limit my weight gain, and it seems to be slipping right off.

The number on the scale doesn't bug me as much as the new shape of my body right now. I was proud when I had even just the tiniest prego pooch even though no one would have known I was pregnant, and now I think it looks awful! I also think my hips may have spread. I tried on a pair of stretchy pre pregnancy yoga pants and they were much tighter through the butt than before. Haven't touched much other pre pregnancy clothes yet. And despite not swelling much at all, and my hands looking back to normal to me, I still can't get my wedding ring on. I miss it I know these things are unrealistic at this point and that it's silly to feel self conscious about it, but I still do sometimes.

I think part of it is anxiety over losing my identity now that I'm a mom. Like having my body the way it used to be will help me from getting lost in my baby's life. Hmm... I'll have to think more about that.

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#8 of 21 Old 08-03-2009, 09:06 PM

I'm there too. I'm 2 weeks pp and I know better than to try on my pre-preg. clothes, but I still did and nothing fits. This is my 4th so I know my body will come back, and that it takes time, but it's still hard. By 3 months I know I'll feel better, but I agree with everything taking at least 9 months. Bfing helps a lot. But if this is your first, there is some changing that never changes back.

I bought some stretchy skirts to live in for now.
#9 of 21 Old 08-03-2009, 10:03 PM

Penstamon, I could have written your post almost word for word. I felt so great pregnant, even though I'm overweight. I loved my round belly and didn't fret the weight I gained (although I never looked at the scale during my pregnancy) because I knew I was growing a baby. But within a week of having my son, I began to feel fat, frumpy, and ugly. I do have a tinge of baby blues, but my unhappiness with my body goes deeper. I worked to lose lots of weight after my first son, and being 39 years old now I know I'm going to have to work hard to lose this weight. I just don't have the energy yet to even think about cooking healthy meals and such. And it's WAY too hot in Las Vegas to go out and exercise, even walk. Hopefully soon I'll feel the push to cook again, choosing healthy foods and being more conscious of my daily habits.

At least I'm nursing - that burns 500 calories a day, right?!

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

#10 of 21 Old 08-04-2009, 12:03 AM

I am right there w/ you penstamom too. I'm 2 wks pp and I gained 50 lbs even. I was VERY surprised to find out I have already lost 29 lbs from bfing alone! Needless to say, I was super swollen for most of my preg. as well, so I'm sure a lot was water weight. I'm sure the last 20 will be harder, but I plan on continuing to drink lots of water and taking walks w/ my little lady as often as possible.

I had planned on belly binding to try and tighten up my belly, but I ended up w/ an emerg. c-section. I tried to wear my belly wrap once, but it hurt my belly (its not too tight either). I want to wear it b/c I feel I'm missing the time to try and tighten this skin, but it still hurts. I hate to sound vain, but I now have had all my tummy muscles cut through and my incision is glued together (no staples thank goodness) and its going to be so hard to get "me" back. Should I also mention now that I would love my next child closed to this one?? I don't know what to do w/ all of this now!

33 Year Old w/ a on the way w/ my DH. EDD 4/6/2011. Mama to Lotus Olivia 7/17/09 and fur mom to 1 and 1
#11 of 21 Old 08-04-2009, 01:31 PM

It takes me a good year to lose the baby weight. And I nursed both dss for 2.5 years each. I'm not the greatest excersicer though.
The one thing I try to do right away is some ab work and lots of kegals.
I felt so full and beautiful this pregnancy. My belly just looked really nice to me and I didn't gain tons of weight other places. I don't want more than 3 children so I'm mourning my pregnancy a bit since it was my last
I feel ok about my body but I have a really flabby belly now. It just looks awful. Really poochy and stretched out. No more bikinis for me...ever!
Hang in there and take are of yourselves!
#12 of 21 Old 08-05-2009, 03:00 AM

I'm 4w pp and having a really hard time with body image too. Nothing fits.. I am still in maternity clothes, am hardly able to take a shower... you know the rest.

I don't remember how long it took for me to get back to normal last time, but I do know that it is possible!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#13 of 21 Old 08-05-2009, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I hear you. To be honest, I hadn;t thought about my body image postpartum but had worried that I would feel not so great during pregnancy. Well, I felt great whilst pregnant. but there are some changes which are pretty hard. I am very thankful that my body had bounced back, for the most part, but the very, very large chest is difficult... I keep reminding myself that I'm providing sustenance to a little one and that it's only temporary (though I plan to nurse for the long haul). Because of hypermesis I only gained 15 pounds, and while I'm pretty much at fightng weight the changes in themselves are pretty disorientating.

And wowsa, what has happened to my appetite. I feel a bit worried that Im actually going to gain weight BFing.

Zubee

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
#14 of 21 Old 08-05-2009, 10:24 AM

And wowsa, what has happened to my appetite. I feel a bit worried that Im actually going to gain weight BFing.

Zubee[/QUOTE]

I am never that hungry when pregnant, but when breastfeeding HOLY MOLY!! I'm starving!! But last time I got suuuuuper way too skinny (like grossly) breastfeeding, so this time I am trying not to worry about my baby bulge. I'm focusing on wearing flowy shirts that hide the extra floppy skin still sticking out and plan to start exercising in a few weeks.

I do struggle with body image after having a baby because I worked in the fitness industry and my body was one of the ways I got clients. But you know what? We just had babies!! We need to give our bodies time to heal and give ourselves grace while it does.

Ina May finds stretch marks to be beautiful
#15 of 21 Old 08-05-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post

:
I cannot stop eating. And I am craving all the wrong things like cookies and chips. I cannot believe how dramatically my appetite has increased - I don't remember it being like this last time around. On Monday I will be exactly 3 weeks postpartum and I am going to start running and keeping a food log. I *only* have 20 pounds to loose (10 from this pregnancy and 10 from last time around) so I am going to kick it into full gear and really do my best to get back into a few old pairs of pants by the winter.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#16 of 21 Old 08-05-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post
:
I cannot stop eating. And I am craving all the wrong things like cookies and chips. I cannot believe how dramatically my appetite has increased - I don't remember it being like this last time around.
I really think the cravings for sweets (I end up craving chocolate and cookies!) is almost a very basic need that our body has for fast energy to meet the increased needs of bfing. When I remember I try to keep nuts and cheese around--otherwise I totally bottom out and grab something sweet.
#17 of 21 Old 08-06-2009, 06:39 PM

DDC crashing from Sept. Anyone have advice on how to tone the tummy pp? I recently have become a bit worried about my body pp and since this is my first am wondering what to do so that I don't get too depressed about it all when it happens. I also was recently able to wear most of my capris undone with a belly band, but just in the past week my hips got so wide that now I can't pull them up past my thighs Will I be able to fit back into them with the belly band and not zippering after bfing for a few weeks or do I need to go buy some new pants?

Happily married 1 year. our first born Sept 28th. : , :, :, , :.
#18 of 21 Old 08-06-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zumbi View Post
DDC crashing from Sept. Anyone have advice on how to tone the tummy pp? I recently have become a bit worried about my body pp and since this is my first am wondering what to do so that I don't get too depressed about it all when it happens. I also was recently able to wear most of my capris undone with a belly band, but just in the past week my hips got so wide that now I can't pull them up past my thighs Will I be able to fit back into them with the belly band and not zippering after bfing for a few weeks or do I need to go buy some new pants?
Start working out now?

I am still wearing some maternity pants and loose skirts because I cannot fit into my pants (not even my bigger pants). I think it's just part of the package, but sucks nonetheless. This pregnancy was actually healthier than my last, and I gained less weight (and my baby was bigger than my first baby).. but I am still not able to wear the clothes I want to wear yet.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#19 of 21 Old 08-11-2009, 12:36 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Me too.

I think part of the issue is that I gained more real weight with this pregnancy and less water weight. And nursing doesn't seem to be burning as many calories for me as it did last time. Last time I lost so much weight so quickly that I was back to my (awesome) college weight. It was great for my ego.

At 2pp I've lost a reasonable amount but nothing like last time + my expectations are off the map + and people keep looking at me funny and I know they are thinking, wow, still holding on to that weight. Seriously, I am 2w PP!
#20 of 21 Old 08-11-2009, 02:09 PM

I've always been self-conscious about my midsection. Now that I have (more) flab and stretchmarks added to it... yeah, I haven't been feeling that attractive. Boyfriend is doing his best to make sure I know he still finds me desirable, but the problem has always been me finding myself undesirable.

I thought it was going to be difficult to drop the pregnancy weight. Let's just say I've proved myself wrong. So my focus now is to be healthier. DS's reflux and gas issues are helping -- I've learned that I can't eat pizza and tacos and junk food for several meals in a row.

- Born 7/21/09
#21 of 21 Old 08-11-2009, 03:59 PM

I am also feeling flabby and fat around the middle. I am almost 2weeks pp. I told DH that I felt so beautiful and goddess like when I was pregnant. Now I feel empty and saggy. I am also feeling a little ppd which is not helping. I think that I am going to go to the thrift store next week to try to find some transitional clothes. It really don't want to wear my maternity clothes b/c they are too big and my pre preg clothes are way too small. I think I will feel a lot better to get some clothes that fit and are loose around my belly.

Bethany ~ Mama of two wonderful boys ♥ ♥  Wife to one amazing man ♥

Massage Therapist ~ Doula ~ Student Midwife

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page