how much is too much? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-06-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reading the PP bleeding thread got me thinking - How much is too much for a new mama to be doing? I have a 4.5 year old, and an almost 3 year old. DH is at work from 12:30 PM until around 11 PM. I had my mom with us the first 5 days, and I literally did nothing. The PP bleeding totally slowed to almost nothing, but a week later, of me doing my regular routine, has the bleeding way up again I obviously can not *not* take care of my kids, things around the house... At the same time, I am sure that the increase in bleeding is my body telling me to slow down - right? Since I have two toddlers, am I doomed to have long PP bleeding (FTR, I bled 6-8 wks with my first two, and I was up and doing everything I could with in days...) Is it unhealthy to have a PP bleeding period of that many weeks??? What do you think is okay for PP mamas to be doing? (as far as cooking, cleaning, folding laundry, etc....)

Jackie and Rafael (4/15/04)
DS (4/25/05) my unschooled airbending pokemon wizard 
DD (10/05/06) my spirited pixie, who weaned at 3 yrs 10 months
DD (7/27/09) my UC water baby - I mean toddler!

DS (2/21/12) UC #2! My littlest love

#2 of 7 Old 08-07-2009, 11:03 AM

I'm not an expert on pp bleeding, but I do remember my dr telling me that the bleeding would slow down, and then pick back up again for awhile. So, I do think that maybe that is normal. As far as how much a pp mom should do---I usually just listen to my body. I also jump right back into my routine. Mostly because I have to, but also because I want to feel back to normal. However, if I am physically hurting or tired, I slow down and take a rest. Hope that helps a little.
#3 of 7 Old 08-07-2009, 01:23 PM

As a single mama to 6 i can commiserate. I am still bleeding heavily at nearly one month postpartum but i can't get any spare time to rest so i just deal with it.
#4 of 7 Old 08-07-2009, 01:34 PM

I have a 22 month old and a 2 week old and my husband was away for work all this week and will be out of town again next week. So.... yeah, doing it all. And my bleeding definitely picked back up. my midwife reminded me that "they" recommend not lifting anything heavier than the baby (HA!) and that even vacuuming is considered too "strenuous." Awesome, so since I can't lift my 22 month old, I guess we'll just stay home ALL THE TIME? No way! I am bleeding longer this time than last, I'm guessing because I am more active.

Lauren - mom to Lolli (09/23/07) and Poppy (07/21/09) and Ozzie (05/26/12)

#5 of 7 Old 08-07-2009, 05:56 PM

I would just say that you should try to take it as easy as you can. I know of a mom who ended up with a uterine infection and had to be hospitalized b/c she was just doing too much too soon.

Bethany ~ Mama of two wonderful boys ♥ ♥  Wife to one amazing man ♥

Massage Therapist ~ Doula ~ Student Midwife

#6 of 7 Old 08-08-2009, 05:04 PM

Butting in to say that you should do whatever you can to get some help, beg friends, hire someone, have family visit. They say 40 days of rest and pampering for 40 years of health afterwards. You just did a major thing so you need to take it easy and be taken care of!
#7 of 7 Old 08-09-2009, 03:04 PM

It has been really hard for me to stay home, not go out, let my DP get groceries on his way home or the weekend, let my DD who is 7 entertain herself more than I would like (I felt really guilty about that one). But when I did too much - sometimes just 2 loads of laundry, I would start bleeding bright red. So I just gave up all house work, and did minimal dinners. It was not easy, but it did work. After a day or so my bleeding lessened and at 5 wks pp I am done bleeding and doing my regular routine again.

Maybe you can just cut back on what you do? not taking care of the kiddoes but everything else?

Angie - mom to Allie 12/01, Ephram 07/09  and Asher 3/1/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page