Mothering Forum banner

FINALLY...It's my turn!

942 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  ATruck 
#1 ·
Hi mamas!

My big guy, Theodore "Theo" William was born 8/6/09 at 1:42 am. He weighed 9 lbs 2 oz and is 20 1/2 inches long! He is by far my biggest baby!

I went into labor on my own Wednesday around 10pm(after pumping and drinking Raspberry leaf tea, I think they helped) and labor came fast at first.

Because things were progressing so quickly, I decided to be checked so my doula met my husband and I at the hospital. I was only 1 cm and 70% effaced but since I had been 0 cm and 50% effaced only the day before at my appt, I decided to walk around a bit and see if I dilated more before going home.

I walked around for an hour with LOTS of contractions and when she checked me again, I was at 2. Two more hours and I was at 4 cm and they admitted me.

I ended up with a different doctor than my own(a woman this time) who laid it all out for me in a very supportive way.

She told me, "I know you have been getting a LOT of flack for your choice to have a VBAC. There are risks but if you are serious about doing this, I will support you. However, we have to be able to trust each other and the #1 most important goal for both of us is a happy, healthy baby and mama."

She was an amazing doctor who encouraged me every step of the way. She kept telling me how great I was doing every time I was further dilated.

I labored for 12 hours and did end up taking some Fentanyl for pain about 6 cm. I continued to labor with contractions one on top of the other(OH MY GOD, THERE IS NO WAY TO UNDERSTAND HOW MUCH THAT HURTS UNTIL YOU EXPERIENCE IT) and after many more hours, my labor stalled out. The baby's head was not moving further down, even though my contractions were hard and should have been moving him down. His heart also wasn't responding super well but he wasn't in danger yet so we kept watching and waiting. I was at a point of sheer exhaustion and couldn't contemplate going on with no more progress but kept taking one contraction at a time. God Bless the tub and laboring on all fours!

After 26 hours of labor and not dilating past 7.5 cm and his head was not down at all, the doctor, my incredible nurse, my amazing husband and my very patient doula and I decided(with a TON of tears and frustration) that it was time to consider other options. There was a reason he was not moving down- she thought it was a fit problem but for whatever reason, the amount and intensity of contractions and labor I was having and him not being engaged at all and not completing dilation or effacement was telling us A LOT.

As soon as we made that decision, my water broke with the next contraction and there was meconium in the fluid. That solidified my decision. My baby was stressed. At that point, I just wanted to know he was ok.

So- C- section it was. The cord ended up being wrapped around his neck and I am so thankful I didn't continue to attempt- who knows what could have happened. I feel incredibly blessed that I was able to experience going into labor on my own, labor, contractions, losing my mucous plug, my water breaking and battling through the pain without an epidural. It's amazing how all the labor I experienced has made me feel more confident and that I can truly do anything!

Baby Theo did well and was ready to eat immediately! I feel awesome that he got to stay in my uterus until HE was ready to come out and I can already see HUGE differences in my 40+3 baby with nursing, and how well he tolerates everything than with my 36 and 37 weeker. They just weren't ready.

I am so glad I fought for what I wanted and never for one second felt like I gave in. It happened just as it should. Thank you mamas for all the support you have given me in this DDC- you have been amazing! I wish you all healthy babies and wonderful birth stories- whatever they may be(that is, for those still pregnant). For mamas that have already birthed their miracles, enjoy your babies!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.