2nd day of bleeding after postpartum vaginal exam? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-21-2009, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was bleeding a little bit after I got checked at my last pp visit on tuesday, but now it's thursday and I am still bleeding but it's a bit more. I have been wearing pantiliners but I could probably wear a regular pad.
Could this be from the check still? Or my period? WTH!

Elijah Mercury (7/2009), TTC #2 with my new soon to be DH! Tattooed, 29 year old cancer survivor! treehugger.gif

#2 of 6 Old 08-21-2009, 03:45 PM

Hi - I just posted this in the June DDC. Hopefully, you don't have what I had. Just want to share my experience.

"All - please keep an eye on your bleeding. I delivered my DD on June 5. I had my 6 wk follow-up on July 13. At that time, my bleeding appeared to be tapering off. As time went by, the bleeding started to pick up and get bright red again and by week 9 postpartum it was medium flow and bright red. Even though I'm breastfeeding, I thought it might be my period (no cramps though) or possibly overdoing it with exercising. I just had a gut feeling that something wasn't right so I called my OB/GYN's office and they got me in for an ultrasound which showed that 1.5 cm of placenta did NOT deliver and that was causing the bleeding. They scheduled me for an urgent D&C which I had last Thursday. Apparently, if that situation is not remedied fairly quickly, you run the risk of hemorhaging. "
#3 of 6 Old 08-21-2009, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Oh mama! Sorry you had to go though that, but thank you for letting me know.

I just called my birth center and I let her know. She told me to wait a couple days to see if it stops tapering off, if it doesn't then it's not my period and she'll send me to an OB.
I just feel like it's not my period because it started AFTER I had an exam. My period wouldn't be triggered by a vaginal exam.

Elijah Mercury (7/2009), TTC #2 with my new soon to be DH! Tattooed, 29 year old cancer survivor! treehugger.gif

#4 of 6 Old 08-21-2009, 08:19 PM

Did you have a PAP? Some women's cervices are pretty friable that soon after childbirth, and can bleed/spot quite a bit.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#5 of 6 Old 08-22-2009, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

I did have a PAP, but now I am technically on day 5 of bleeding. It started off as just needing a pantiliner and now I need a regular pad. It's a pretty heavy flow. Normally with my period it's the opposite, it starts off heavy then gets lighter.
I'm kind of concerned now. My midwife told me to wait, but it's already been 5 days and I don't want to wait if there's something wrong.
My periods have always been pretty painful too, lots of cramping.

#6 of 6 Old 08-22-2009, 04:42 PM

I would be just a little concerned and call the OB just to be on the safe side. It could just be some cervical irritation because of the pap, but (especially with your history) I think it is a good idea to just see the doc and get checked out. Let us know how you are doing!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page