Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   July 2009 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/511-july-2009/)
-   -   Anybody else had problems with PPD? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/511-july-2009/1133028-anybody-else-had-problems-ppd.html)

Quindin 09-05-2009 08:42 AM

Olivia will be 8 weeks old tomorrow (where has the time gone???) and she is a joy! What a calm and happy baby she is. Totally different from how she was in my tummy :LOL

Anyway, this is also my 4 week on anti-depressants... I had bad PPD at weeks 3 and 4. Crying all the time, having scary thoughts, feeling like the kids would be better off without me. Freaky. I never experienced that before.
Then the doctor had me on Celexa and the depression is gone. The problem is that it killed my sex drive and it numbs my emotions a bit... Now I wish I had eaten placenta after birth... *sigh*
The doctor said I will be on them for at least 3 months.

Has anybody suffered or is suffering from PPD this time around?
How are you coping?

tracymom1 09-05-2009 10:54 PM

nak
I am. I will be seeing a therapist next week. I went to a psychologist and before even talking to me she wanted to find out how I feel about SSRIs. Its not that I am totally opposed to meds, but I would at least like to have a few sessions and see how I am doing before jumping into anything.

Its been hard. Harder than I had ever thought it could be. I am on a roller-coaster 24 hours a day. I lash out at DH for no reason, I cry at least a dozen times a day (a lot in the shower) and DD will not take a bottle so I really have not one minute to myself (unless, of course, it is to put in a load of laundry or clean up something).

Ugh. I just want to feel good.

gossamerwindweb 09-06-2009 04:56 PM

I DID eat my placenta... or at least some of it. And yes, I am suffering from PPD. Actually I have a lot more post partum anxiety than depression, but anxiety breeds depression. I have been on an SSRI for almost 2 weeks now. I feel somewhat better but I am still weepy often. The sleep deprivation is affecting that. Yesterday we put our king sized mattress on the floor next to a double mattress and that way I can nurse the baby and then ROLL AWAY from him when he is done. Otherwise he comfort nurses a lot during the night which is uncomfortable for me and wakes me up (the position I have to lay in so he can latch on). Last night I got 7 hours of sleep only broken 3 times. It was amazing. I hope once I get caught up on some sleep, I will feel better. to all of us!

guestmama9971 09-07-2009 08:32 PM

-

pinksprklybarefoot 09-07-2009 11:16 PM

I only was able to take a few capsules of placenta because mine became moldy! It must not have gotten as dry this time around.

I do take Wellbutrin, and I have for years. Often, Dr.s are hesitant to prescribe it for nursing moms, but the LC at the hospital assured me that in actuality, it should be fine. DS1 seems ok. For me, it has a much lower side effect profile than an SSRI - no sexual side effects, no weight gain, no mania. I would be lost without it.

fawnanddoe 09-07-2009 11:52 PM

I am having problems with PPD. I have been taking Zoloft for quite a bit now. There have been a few big PPD episodes, and at first when I was taking the Zoloft I kept forgetting it and then that's when it really kicked in. I started getting really anxious, irritable, angry, resentful (all of this at DH). I just wanted to be alone but I felt lonely.
It's getting better and the meds are really helping. I have also been going to a therapist once or twice a month and then a free PPD group every Thurs. Talking to other mamas that are going through the same thing has helped immensely.

askew 09-08-2009 08:30 PM

I am on Zoloft for PPD and I am not sure if it is working. I guess I feel a bit better, but not 100%. I had it pretty bad with my DS and did nothing. It took like 18 months to feel better again, so this time my doc thought I should go right to the antidepressant when PPD surfaced again.

gossamerwindweb 09-09-2009 03:09 PM

I do have to say my anxiety is still really bad. And not necessarily about the baby. About stupid things. Like I got a cut yesterday and last night it was aching around the cut, and INSTANTLY I got anxious and worried that I had a flesh eating bacteria. It is SO absurd to worry about that... it is so rare, but I couldn't calm down until I told my DH "Please tell me I don't have flesh eating bacteria in this cut"... once he said it, I was fine. WHY I can't calm myself down when I KNOW my fears are irrational I have no idea *shakes head* and love to everyone!!!

LilMomma83 09-12-2009 10:47 PM

I was on Zoloft my whole pregnancy from PPD with DS1, my CNM wanted me to get evaluated and maybe increase it when I was at my 6wk appt, but, I slowly started feeling better, and I'm feeling great now (11wks), I think it is in part exercising, being more adjusted, and the BC I'm on (Mirena). I'm taking Flaxseed oil (omega-3) everyday, but, I'm taking Zoloft every other day now, I think I'm going to go to half every other day soon, until I run out.

gossamerwindweb 09-13-2009 02:53 PM

is flaxseed supposed to help? I just started taking it last week because my skin is so dry. That would be great if omega 3s are supposed to help PPD!

LilMomma83 09-16-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamerwindweb View Post
is flaxseed supposed to help? I just started taking it last week because my skin is so dry. That would be great if omega 3s are supposed to help PPD!
My CNM said it would...