Worried about baby not smiling yet.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-07-2009, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm from the August DDC, but my baby asia was actually born on July 15th.

Anyways, she will be 8 weeks old on wednesday and I'm a little worried because she doesn't seem to be smiling yet. Maybe 2-3 times a day I can get her to smile and I can't tell if it's completely random or in response to me. I interact with her a lot and don't seem to be making much progress. I'm worried she could be having a developmental problem since everyone keeps telling me she should be smiling by now, and maybe even laughing!

So I'm just wondering if anyone elses babies aren't smiling yet at 8 weeks, or if you think I should be worried?

Happy mama to Asia born 07/15
#2 of 5 Old 09-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Banned

Babies all hit milestones at their own speed. People don't always appreciate that when interacting with a specific baby. She may just be taking a slightly different path. Honestly, 8 weeks sounds early to me for laughing.

That said, if you're worried about it and you're in the US, it would be a great idea to call your state's early intervention program.
#3 of 5 Old 09-08-2009, 03:05 PM

I think you're within the range. I don't have a baby book handy (thinking like the Sears' Baby Book), but I'm pretty sure that most of the developmental milestones have a range of a few weeks.

My dd was born a week after yours and she's really only starting to smile this week, and she gets tons of interactions from her siblings. So I don't think 8 weeks is too "late".

Also for many of the milestones there is no sign, then suddenly they do it. I would definitely give your pede a call if you're worried though.

My first just wasn't a smiler though (and it's sort of nerve wracking and exhausting for a new parent) but now she's a pretty regular 9yo (who still only smiles when she feels like it)
#4 of 5 Old 09-08-2009, 06:09 PM

I swear my first didn't smile til she was 4 months. She's 3 now, and has absolutely no developmental delays. She was just a very serious baby! My son was born a few days after yours and he's just starting to smile and coo. No laughing yet at all. I think you babe is in the range of normal.

Kristen - doula and birth educator, wife to Ben and mama to Sydney Mu (8/06) and Cal Edward (7/09) :
#5 of 5 Old 09-08-2009, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dd was born on the 5th and just recently started really smiling often. As in more than once a day. Maybe in the last week she has really picked up. But, she is a crabby baby and when she is screaming in my ear she isn't likely to smile. Even now she has maybe 3-4 times a day that she gets smiley and then will crack one smile after another for a few minutes. She just laughed for the first time Sunday. At herself in the mirror of all things! Not at the silly faces or noises I make.

FWIW- I read 12 weeks is the outside limit for the smiling milestone, and at that point they start to look for a problem with vision.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page