Baby isn't using hands much... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-23-2009, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just want to know if everything is ok development wise. DD is my first, and DH hasn't been a parent to a baby in a while.

DD is 2m 1w She grabs my shirt when she nurses, and has recently been putting her hand in her mouth on purpose, and is even reaching out to me on occassion.

But she rarely opens her hands, doesn't grasp objects, and makes fists when she's trying to do mini push-ups. Actually, she only recently started making fists with her thumb on the outside. When she was only a few weeks old, she would clench her hands REALLY tight around her thumbs and I would worry about her hurting her thumbs. They seem alright now.

I'm not freaking out or anything, I am just a new mom and not sure if there is something I should do, or if this is totally normal.

Thanks for any input.

shirt-grab picture: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2495/...687190f0f6.jpg

Blarg, blarg-blargity- BLARG!!!

#2 of 5 Old 09-23-2009, 11:46 AM

my son is not quite 7 weeks. He also has the tight, TIGHT fist thing going on. But he is starting to grab my shirt when nursing. I also hold his hands sometimes when he is nursing and he will open them to grab my fingers. The picture of your daughter grabbing your shirt when nursing looks like it does when he does it. From what I remember with my daughter it is very common for them to be like this for a few months

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#3 of 5 Old 09-25-2009, 05:30 PM

Sounds normal to me! Just make sure to pry her little hands open in the bath tub. You might be surprised at what you find in there! Poppy loves to hide lint in her fists, and hair, too ha ha

Lauren - mom to Lolli (09/23/07) and Poppy (07/21/09) and Ozzie (05/26/12)

#4 of 5 Old 09-26-2009, 08:25 PM

My dd is the same age as yours and is doing roughly the same stuff with her hands. I think it is early for them to be opening their hands and really grasping objects.

If I remember correctly The Baby Book by Dr. Sears was full of info on what to expect at each age range.

But generally the way it will go for this first year (and all the rest) is that you stress about them not doing something (or doing something) then by the time you find the answer (usually that they all go at their own pace) they will suddenly start doing (or stop doing) whatever you were worried about. Then you will find something else to worry about.
#5 of 5 Old 09-28-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melamama View Post
But generally the way it will go for this first year (and all the rest) is that you stress about them not doing something (or doing something) then by the time you find the answer (usually that they all go at their own pace) they will suddenly start doing (or stop doing) whatever you were worried about. Then you will find something else to worry about.
yup... and I am finding that as a second time mother I am worrying MORE than as a first time mother *sighs*

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page