who have you told? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't told anyone, except one of my very close friends. I didn't even have a chance to tell DH!! He left for work early yesterday and came home late, this morning his co-worker showed up here before I had a chance. I'm thinking he might just have to figure it out on his own!! So who have you told, if anyone?

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

#2 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 03:33 PM

a couple close friends, dh, all of you online (and SIL is on MDC so she and her dh know), and one girl from my doula class.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#3 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 03:44 PM

Three girls at work.

One guy friend back in Texas.

You guys at MDC.

EDIT: Never mind, I thought this was the June DDC!

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#4 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 03:50 PM

Just my mom (who has probably told every person she knows already) and a co-worker who knew we were TTC for a while. We are holding off on telling everyone else until the holidays.

DS Alexander Joseph born 6/29/09
#5 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking it would be fun to tell family at the holidays. But I don't know if I'll be able to wait that long. On top of being too excited to keep it to myself, I don't know how long my less than athletic figure will keep my secret.

#6 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 04:05 PM

Oh yeah

Since I work at WIC, and I get WIC, my coworkers know too!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#7 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 04:22 PM

Yeah Jess...the holidays would be a great time to tell everyone if we can hold out too. It might not be too hard because DP's family is in another state. We were thinking of getting everyone coffee mugs, or t-shirts...something cheesy like that...that say "World's Greatest Grandma/Uncle/Aunt/etc and have them all open them at the same time. At least that's the plan...but who knows if we can hold on that long.

DS Alexander Joseph born 6/29/09
#8 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 04:24 PM

We told our ds1, who is 5 1/2. Even though we weren't planning on it, we did it anyway. His reaction was too wonderful to describe! I'm not sure when we're going to tell anyone else. I like keeping it our *thing* right now, ykwim?
#9 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 04:33 PM

I called my best friend as soon as I tested. I wanted to call DH but I wasn't sure how he'd feel (I knew he'd be happy once he had a few minutes to adjust but I knew he'd initially be shocked and I didn't want to do that to him at work) and I needed to talk to someone. After DH got home and I told him, I called my little sister. Besides you guys, that's it.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#10 of 28 Old 10-26-2008, 10:25 PM

Just a few close friends but they all live far away. No one where we live yet.
#11 of 28 Old 10-27-2008, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So far we haven't really "told" anyone. However my husband's best friend has a sixth sense about this sort of thing. He has been the first to know with both pregnancies so far. The first time he just looked at me (I was 4 weeks along) and just said "So are you pregnant?" This time I was talking to him on the phone and it was the same thing, he just knew. The only other person who knows is a friend irl who is also on mdc, so she read it on here. She knew we were trying though. That's it. I'll probably tell some other friends tomorrow at a halloween party, but we're waiting a few more weeks to really start telling most people. Dh doesn't want to tell anyone until we have it confirmed by a doctor. Even though I've told him we're not having a doctor, we're having a midwife and really peeing on a stick is the only confirmation we'll probably get until a heartbeat can be detected on a doppler and frankly I'm not sure I can wait that long to tell people.

The only thing is we're staying a week with family down in LA right now and I feel like them not knowing makes me seem rude. Like I'm so tired and so I'm not offering to help with cooking and cleaning and if they knew I was pregnant they'd totally understand, but because they don't it just seems rude. Or I spent all morning hiding upstairs today, because MIL had painters painting a room downstairs and I was avoiding fumes like it was a life or death matter and I think it just came off as being aloof. Also I got yelled at for eating the second to last banana because they're for sil and fil for breakfast tomorrow (which I didn't know), but I really think mil wouldn't have cared if she'd known I was pregnant because pregnant women are first priority when it comes to food. You know?

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#12 of 28 Old 10-27-2008, 11:29 AM

Right now no one knows except for DH and I. I was thinking about waiting until Christmas when we're with our families, but now I'm not sure if I want to wait that long. DH is so excited and he wants to tell everyone right now, but I'm trying to rein him in until we at least have one MW appointment. The first appointment is 11/11, so we'll see what she says and go from there.

Mama to my sweet girl born at home 6/09
#13 of 28 Old 10-27-2008, 12:25 PM

I told 2 of my friends first because they knew we were trying. Then I had them help me surprise DF. He of course was ecstatic. Everyone else we're going to wait until after we see the heartbeat.

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
#14 of 28 Old 10-27-2008, 08:28 PM

I told DH and then we told our best friends (they're a couple). We'll tell everyone else closer to Christmas.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#15 of 28 Old 10-27-2008, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

well I think we've decided to tell everyone at Thanksgiving. I really think i'll be showing already by then. it's my 3rd though.

#16 of 28 Old 10-28-2008, 02:34 PM

I've told my husband, my best friend, and soon a few other close friends. I'm telling my stepmom tomorrow. Once she knows though, the whole world will know.
#17 of 28 Old 10-29-2008, 11:45 AM

Husband and a few close mama-friends. I'm scared to tell anyone else. I only told the people I knew would be supportive.
#18 of 28 Old 10-29-2008, 11:52 AM

I've only told on here and to a couple of other online friends. I want to tell our families before we tell friends, and my parents just went out of town yesterday. Gah! They'll be back Saturday at least.

We told the kids already. They walked in when I was showing the BFP to DH!

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#19 of 28 Old 10-30-2008, 10:30 AM

i told my mom and dad and thats it. i'm too scared to tell anyone else, esp. the kids (who are 5 and 2 1/2) until i'm a few more weeks into it after the m/c 2 cycles ago.

2vbac mama to dd1-5 3/4, dd2 3, and ds- 07/10/09
#20 of 28 Old 10-30-2008, 12:30 PM

I am sooo weak. I called my best friend and another good friend right away. Then I told my SIL but told her not to tell our husband's parents because I want to try to wait until Christmas though I doubt I can make it that long.
I wasn't going to tell anyone else but then slipped to another friend because I was so nauseous and she asked if I feeling OK
So I'm up to 4 people (besides DH) and I keep saying I'm NOT telling anyone else! I really want to wait until closer to 10/12 weeks.

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#21 of 28 Old 10-30-2008, 12:34 PM

I wrote a cryptic message on Facebook, but some of the people there already guessed

I also told my sisters and will tell my mom today.
#22 of 28 Old 10-30-2008, 05:41 PM

DH, and here...I'll probably tell everyone at Christmas. My family has a reputation for starting to ask "Are you still pregnant?" at like month 6 So I'll keep it a secret for as long as possible.
#23 of 28 Old 11-03-2008, 08:27 PM

I've pretty much told everybody.
We have a really close group of friends, so once one person was told, everyone would know, so I decided I'd beat the secret gossipers to the chase and just spill the beans myself! Most extended family doesn't know yet, but our moms, my dad, and my grandma do. We've told my dd (27mo) but she doesn't really get it yet.

Kristen - doula and birth educator, wife to Ben and mama to Sydney Mu (8/06) and Cal Edward (7/09) :
#24 of 28 Old 11-03-2008, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

well i told my mom. but that's it. i really wanted to try to keep it under wraps for a while, but i'm kind of antsy to tel everyone i run into. soon enough i won't be able to keep it a secret, i feel so bloated already!

#25 of 28 Old 11-04-2008, 01:33 PM

I called my husband at work as soon as I tested. I told my co-maintainers at vaginapagina.com, and my closest people: my sisters-in-law and my brother-in-law. I needed their support, as this pregnancy was not exactly expected and I was extremely anxious and uncertain when I found out. That's it for people I told, except for posting here, of course. I'd like to keep it under wraps until Christmas for everyone else.
#26 of 28 Old 11-04-2008, 04:52 PM

So far we have told our close friends (a married couple in another city) and two other close friends of mine know. I would really like to wait until Christmas to tell everyone else, because I just don't see our family being encouraging. This baby is a surprise for us and when we went away this weekend for our anniversary all we kept hearing from everyone was "Don't come back pregnant!" They all think they are so funny, but last night I had to hear all about how bad it would be if we got pregnant
from my Mom & stepdad... they were joking around, but I was feeling a little sensitive. I know my Mom will feel terrible when I do tell her.
#27 of 28 Old 11-06-2008, 10:16 AM

When I did a home test last week I called my mom and DH's parents. When I went to the doctor today and had it confirmed, I called them to let them know and called my dad. Ahh, and I put it in my Facebook status. ;-) Everyone else we know will probably find out within the week!
#28 of 28 Old 11-06-2008, 11:22 AM

I don't want to tell anyone before Christmas. Until then, it's just DH and MDC

A tired mommy to DD (7/09) and loving wife to DH (08/06)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page