how will you give birth? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 11-03-2008, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having a homebirth this time, but I found out that my favored midwife is taking vacation this summer. I don't know who we're going to see now, but I'm sure she'll give me some good recommendations.

Kristen - doula and birth educator, wife to Ben and mama to Sydney Mu (8/06) and Cal Edward (7/09) :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 54 Old 11-04-2008, 08:00 PM

Planning for a second hospital natural VBAC with a midwife. I'd prefer a birthing center but they don't take VBACs. :

Erin.
#33 of 54 Old 11-04-2008, 08:14 PM

DD was born intervention-free but in a hospital with a FP doctor. I am planning a homebirth with a midwife this time and DH is on-board as well. I am very excited!
#34 of 54 Old 11-06-2008, 11:19 AM

I'd love to have a homebirth, but it doesn't seem it will work out this time around. I'm stationed in Japan at an Air Force base (and live in base housing) and I am not getting any good news. Liability, insurance won't cover it, no English-speaking midwives (and I speak very limited Japanese!) within 1-1/2 hours from here, etc. So I'm thinking I'm going to give up on the idea of a water homebirth and will be in the hospital. I hear from other natural birth mommies that they're really good here about not pushing meds and respecting your wishes, so I'm not too concerned. Maybe baby #3 will be stateside and born at home. :-)
#35 of 54 Old 11-06-2008, 03:43 PM

Last time we planned a homebirth, and due to high BP, I had to transfer care during my last month. We wound up being out almost $3000 for a birth I didn't get to have. I just can't take that chance again - financially or emotionally.

Luckily, the MW that was to attend the homebirth introduced us to an awesome nurse MW. She totally respected my birth plan and we really clicked. I see her for well-woman care, so she will attend this next birth in a hospital as well.

love.gif

#36 of 54 Old 11-07-2008, 10:01 AM

This is my first pregnancy, so I am not totally sure. We are leaning towards a homebirth with a midwife, but I am a little nervous about how unpleasant being in labour in mid-July in our un-air conditioned house might be. I realize that's a foolish reason, but it does give me pause. For right now, I am going to talk to the hospital midwife I used for well woman care and see what her thoughts on things are. She recommended all sorts of holistic treatments when we were having trouble getting pregnant, so I am pretty sure she will be supportive if I choose a home birth, rather than birthing with her.
#37 of 54 Old 11-07-2008, 02:41 PM

Either free standing birth center or home with a midwife. My last labor was good until my ob started intervening so that I would have the baby while she was still oncall. I got to the hospital at 10am 5cm, 2 hours later was up to 8cm and then began exams every half an hour or so because the dr had 2 c-sections scheduled and wanted to work me in around them. I stalled for 8 hours at 8cm, ended up with my water broken and on pit with an epidural. I feel that if they left me alone, it would have happened much sooner and I could have gotten through naturally. This being my third baby, I feel much more confident this time around.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#38 of 54 Old 11-07-2008, 05:49 PM

Hospital birth with OB un-medicated. I'd really love to avoid pitocin this time around, but after 2 pitocin births (both also unmedicated) I know I can do it.

I have to get on the ball and call my OB. He'll be pleased (and surprised) to be seeing me again.

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
#39 of 54 Old 11-07-2008, 06:51 PM

Since this is #1, we will probably do a hospital birth, also that's all our insurance will cover.

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

#40 of 54 Old 11-09-2008, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
hopefully midwife assisted homebirth (pref water birth). My last baby came at 35 weeks, 1 day and although he was perfect and had no problems, I had to have him in hospital. Hope this little guy will stay put a bit longer (I have also had two 36 weekers)
#41 of 54 Old 11-09-2008, 03:17 AM

At home. UC or midwife not sure yet.

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#42 of 54 Old 11-09-2008, 03:31 PM

This is my 1st and I'm definitly nervous about giving birth. This being said, I will be having my first little bean in a hospital.

33 Year Old w/ a on the way w/ my DH. EDD 4/6/2011. Mama to Lotus Olivia 7/17/09 and fur mom to 1 and 1
#43 of 54 Old 11-09-2008, 10:37 PM

homebirth, God willing.

i've had one hospital birth, one homebirth, and one freestanding birth center birth. the homebirth has always been my favorite. now that we're back in an area where there are homebirth midwives, that will be our first choice.

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#44 of 54 Old 11-09-2008, 11:02 PM

Hospital birth probably with my Midwife like I had with my DS
I had my OB for my DD and loved him the same
so it doesnt really matter to me.
I had preE with DD not with DS but he had the cord pretty tightly around his neck and both times were handled wonderfully

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz
#45 of 54 Old 11-10-2008, 01:36 AM

birth center birth for first time around, hoping for water birth.
How do you find out more about the hypnosis stuff?
#46 of 54 Old 11-10-2008, 02:04 AM

Hospital birth with an OB described by an L&D nurse as having "the soul of a midwife." The hospital's very natural birth friendly, too, with tubs and birthing stools and stuff.

I never, ever thought I would birth in a hospital (my ds was born unassisted), but it's not my baby (I'm a gestational surrogate), so not my choice. I feel confident I can have a fantastic natural birth regardless of the location, though. The parents of this baby are also very supportive of my preference.
#47 of 54 Old 11-10-2008, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
With DD I had a hospital birth with a group of CNM midwives

With #2, I'm hoping for a birth center waterbirth, and I have a independent CNM lined up.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#48 of 54 Old 11-11-2008, 03:00 PM

Hospital with a physician.
I wanted so badly to have a midwife and a doula, but I'm high risk due to a uterine anamoly, so I can't go that route.
Luckily, I'm quite fond of my OB.
#49 of 54 Old 11-11-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLala View Post
Hospital with a physician.
I wanted so badly to have a midwife and a doula, but I'm high risk due to a uterine anamoly, so I can't go that route.
Luckily, I'm quite fond of my OB.
Do you mind sharing what your uterine anamoly is? If you don't want to, that's ok.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#50 of 54 Old 11-11-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reha View Post
Do you mind sharing what your uterine anamoly is? If you don't want to, that's ok.

I don't mind at all. I have a unicornuate uterus with a non-functioning left uterine horn. Basically, only half of my uterus is formed and it is displaced to the right.
So, there is a high possibility that I will have to have a C-section, but I am planning to prepare for a natural birth and pray I get to go that route.
#51 of 54 Old 11-11-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLala View Post
I don't mind at all. I have a unicornuate uterus with a non-functioning left uterine horn. Basically, only half of my uterus is formed and it is displaced to the right.
So, there is a high possibility that I will have to have a C-section, but I am planning to prepare for a natural birth and pray I get to go that route.
Interesting! I had a client a while back who had a uterine septum, and all 3 of her babies had been breech because of it. She went to 37 weeks and birthed vaginally (after 2 cesarean). But, I know that is different than a unicornuate uterus.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#52 of 54 Old 11-11-2008, 03:20 PM

I don't know yet. Is that weird? I don't. I have a doula, and I'm seeing a rather crunchy-as-they-go set of OB/GYNs (and there is a midwife in their office, also), and even if I have a hospital birth I would like it to be as natural as possible. My ideal is a water birth in a birthing center, but the nearest birthing center is pretty far away. I don't want to give birth at home, because this apartment feels so temporary to me and just...not right. I'm undecided.
#53 of 54 Old 11-11-2008, 08:18 PM

I can't help but think about the original question "How will you give birth" and ask myself something very different from what we have all been responding to...

Judging from past experiences, I will give birth noisily and naked, with my husband at my side, awe struck at watching me and holding one of my older children in his arms. I will hopefully give birth fearlessly and fiercely. I suspect I will give birth wet and messy, needing a shower afterwards. I fear I will give birth quickly and painfully, puking and pooping my guts out. I pray I will give birth painlessly or even orgasmicly (that would be nice). I particularily hope to give birth peacefully because I hope my 4 year old daughter will be at my side.... learning about how to give birth.

I am so glad that these pregnancy threads are here to remind me to think about these matters, as everyday life (morning sickness survival) keeps me pretty occupied. I appreciate that I get a chance to visualise the future and focus on THIS BABY.

thanks everyone

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#54 of 54 Old 11-12-2008, 12:20 AM

Planned UC unless I go into early labor (history of it)...in which case, hospital.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page