Pregnant with nursling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 10-30-2008, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm nursing my 19 month old. . he nurses frequently. Unfortunately I seem to be losing my milk supply already I'm stepping up the fluid intake and started eating more oatmeal. . keeping my fingers crossed.

Wondering how many other nursing mamas were here?

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
#2 of 50 Old 10-31-2008, 12:13 AM

Me! DS is 16 mo and still going strong (although I think I may have less milk because his nursing pattern seems to be changing). I really want to make it until he's 2 yo (6 days before this LO is due).

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#3 of 50 Old 10-31-2008, 01:19 AM

me me me!

My dd is just about 14months, and my supply has alreadt really decreased. its important to me that she get the nutrients from it, so a good friend of mine is pumping for me and Im going to bake with it for her (muffins), and have her drink it, or put it in her cereal. Hopefully my supply will come back soon

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#4 of 50 Old 10-31-2008, 01:34 AM

We are still nursing, too. My DD is more in love with it than ever. She will be 2 in a few weeks. I have not noticed a change in supply yet, but maybe I am dense? DD has not said anything, but she will nurse even when I know there can't be any milk left.

I have found Adventures in Tandem Nursing very helpful. I am tentatively planning to tandem nurse if she wants to, but we will for sure be night weaning in the near future. What is everyone else planning?

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#5 of 50 Old 10-31-2008, 01:51 AM

I'm okay with tandem but night weaning for DS is going to need to happen soon. He normally wakes every 2 hours or so at night and I just really need more sleep.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#6 of 50 Old 10-31-2008, 07:07 AM

I have a 10mo
She is still nursing obviously

She does like food A LOT though, so I have a feeling she will completely wean herself before the baby is here
#7 of 50 Old 10-31-2008, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, Adventures in Tandem Nursing is a wonderful book. Need to pull it out and reread (I have a copy from the last time I was pregnant. . m/c at 8.5 weeks)

H has been nursing less at night the past couple of weeks, so night weaning might happen on it's own. I just don't want him to fully wean. . I don't think he's ready.

#8 of 50 Old 10-31-2008, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Remind me again the benefits of nursing past 19 months? I'm getting sore, and he only nurses in the morning now.
#9 of 50 Old 10-31-2008, 10:24 AM

My kids nurses only for comfort after 12 mos.
I think that making the baby feel safe and happy is a good benefit
But yeah... I hear you on the sore nipples thing. And I keep having thrush on top of it!
#10 of 50 Old 10-31-2008, 10:25 AM

Im still nursing dd She is 23 months (I need t update my sig ) One of the HUGE benefits recently was Dh and I got a wicked cold and I think she did a little bit too but she nursed right through it and I think she would have been much worse off had she not, Breastmilk has all kinds of antibodies in it
#11 of 50 Old 10-31-2008, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

My DD nursed until just after her third birthday (so I guess anything short of that seems too soon to me). My 19 month old isn't very verbal. . I can't imagine how much more frustrated he would be if he stopped nursing.

#12 of 50 Old 10-31-2008, 10:33 AM

i'm still nursing my 2 1/2 year old, mostly for comfort around bedtime and waking. when i was pregnant with her i was nursing her older sister who was 28 months at the time when we finally had to wean. it was simply too painful at 6 months.

2vbac mama to dd1-5 3/4, dd2 3, and ds- 07/10/09
#13 of 50 Old 10-31-2008, 03:20 PM

I'm nursing my 17m old... I've also noticed a decrease in supply, and likely the taste. It's actually been very hard on DS I had no idea he would take it so badly.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#14 of 50 Old 10-31-2008, 07:07 PM

I'm still nursing DD who turned 3 last month. She's pretty much only nursing to go to sleep, during the night, and first thing in the morning in bed. I'd be thrilled if I could gently nightwean her in the near future, and I don't think I'd mind if she quit nursing on her own before this baby is born.

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#15 of 50 Old 11-01-2008, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've got a 21mo daughter and she still nurses a lot (seriously like too many times a day to actually count). It seems like maybe even more than usual lately, but it might be my imagination. I know I still have milk, but there could be less and maybe she's trying to build up my supply. I definitely want to work on night weaning though because that's when my boobs get sore. I also think that as my belly gets bigger she's going to have to get used to not nursing in restaurants because she won't be able to fit between my belly and the table. I really don't have any attachment to either outcome when it comes to tandem nursing vs. weaning. Whatever happens is fine. I would like Jules to nurse until at least 2 (her birthday is right around the 20 week mark for this pregnancy) do you know if it's likely that I'll still have milk then? I don't LOVE nursing and if it becomes really painful while pregnant I might consider weaning. So far though it's been okay. Plus a friend of mine told me that nursing helps lessen morning sickness and frankly I've been feeling really good this pregnancy, so I like that part.

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#16 of 50 Old 11-02-2008, 11:00 PM

I'm still nursing my 2 yo too. I nursed ds1 until 3.5 but ds2 seems to be cutting back a little. I won't say I'm not encouraging it. But I will be sad if he completely stops anytime soon. I don't think my supply is dimishing in any way so far, but I can remember the agony of nursing from a dry tap and I pray that it doesn't happen again!!

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

#17 of 50 Old 11-02-2008, 11:49 PM

I'm nursing my 13 month old. She's not thrilled with solids, and she nurses all day and night, so I don't imagine she'll stop any time soon! I am definitely sore but I keep telling myself I just have to trudge through ~ the goal is to nurse through the pregnancy and then tandem. I think I would feel guilty if DD weaned because I know that it would be because of the pregnancy...
Has anyone who has done this before tried the MotherLove More Milk Two? I'm thinking of getting some, but it's pricey and I don't want to shell out money for something that is ineffective! Also, it has (I believe) red raspberry leaf in it, which I've read can stimulate uterine contractions... so is it something you can't take until the second trimester? Any other safe ways to keep my milk production up?

Sarah, loving wife to Michael (9/6/03), SAHM to my big girl Maya "Monkey" Grace (10/5/07) and my baby girl Charlotte "Bugsy" Mae (7/2/09) : :
#18 of 50 Old 11-03-2008, 11:50 AM

My DS is almost 14 months old. He still nurses a lot and I really want to keep nuring him. I hope I will not loose the milk totally. He really loves nursing. And he does not eat a lot of other food. So any ideas about trying to make it as long as possible?
When I got my BFP this morning I felt like I was cheating DS out of momma's milk. Anybody else feeling this way?
#19 of 50 Old 11-03-2008, 05:24 PM

My nursling is 4, almost 5. I've always joked that perhaps me getting pregnant will be what finally gets him to wean. So, I guess I'll find out if that's true!

My nipples are killing me, but I can't deny him when he says 'Mommy, I'll be really gentle, because I want to nurse'.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#20 of 50 Old 11-04-2008, 10:20 AM

I'm nursing my a little-under 3 year old but he's starting to taper off. We're down to bedtime and once a night which is a HUGE improvement.
#21 of 50 Old 11-04-2008, 11:15 AM

My 18mo is nursing at least 4-5 times a night and several times during the day if I'm off work. It's funny because I think my supply is down a little (just from the way he tugs and pulls and switches sides) this is the first I've ever given any thought to when he would ween. So far nursing has been painful for me (except when he climbs on me lol) and I had nail biting pain for sooooooooo long (about 7mos straight) after he was born that I think I would go through it again if it makes life easier for him...I just can't imagine him being ready to ween anytime soon.
#22 of 50 Old 11-04-2008, 07:12 PM

I also have a 19 MO DD who still nurses frequently day and night. I hope to contuinue nursing until she is at least 2 and as long as it works for us. I am fine with tandem nursing too but, honestly, I hope Camryn weans before then simply for logistical reasons -- nursing a squirmy toddler along with a fragile newborn sounds like an accident waiting to happen

Kristy
#23 of 50 Old 11-04-2008, 10:12 PM

my 3.7 yo dd still nurses enthusiastically actually it seems she nures moreso at least she's longer at the breast.. @ 6x during the day=3 longish sessions reminicent of her early infancy - and 1 b4 bed-I haven't told her I'm pregnant -had m/c one year ago but shortly after conception she's definately "monitoring" changes but hasn't asked for water after nursing as" milk is salty "like last preg or C/o "empty allready"!!!.I'm due June30 ish so I'm posting in two ddc.I haven't experienced any discomfort but it's early
#24 of 50 Old 11-05-2008, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
A friend of mine who is also nursing and pregnant said that nursing is supposed to alleviate morning sickness. I'm 6 weeks pregnant and I haven't really felt nauseated at all. I mean in the evenings I feel a bit headachey, stop feeling hungry and in general I feel a bit blah and tired,but never like I am going to throw up. And during the day I'm feeling pretty great. Like I actually have the energy to exercise and I have an appetite for food that is healthy (all i ate 1st trimester w/ dd was powdered sugar doughnuts and top ramen). Is anyone else feeling this way? Frankly feeling well is kind of freaking me out. Please tell me I don't need to worry.

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#25 of 50 Old 11-05-2008, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

I wish it was the case for me. I've felt a fairly constant low level nausea (the kind where you wish you could just constantly eat saltines). I've never felt this lousy with any of my other pregnancies. If nursing is suppose to help with that I wish wish wish it would start

Quote:
Originally Posted by junipermuse View Post
A friend of mine who is also nursing and pregnant said that nursing is supposed to alleviate morning sickness. I'm 6 weeks pregnant and I haven't really felt nauseated at all. I mean in the evenings I feel a bit headachey, stop feeling hungry and in general I feel a bit blah and tired,but never like I am going to throw up. And during the day I'm feeling pretty great. Like I actually have the energy to exercise and I have an appetite for food that is healthy (all i ate 1st trimester w/ dd was powdered sugar doughnuts and top ramen). Is anyone else feeling this way? Frankly feeling well is kind of freaking me out. Please tell me I don't need to worry.

#26 of 50 Old 11-05-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junipermuse View Post
I wouldn't worry every pregnancy is different -but be careful what you wish for in a few weeks you could be looking for ginger
Some women don't have m/s.I've had transient nausea interestingly enuf while nursing -shrug & for me this is early -will keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't get worse @ 7-9 wk. point.
-hth Don't worry.
#27 of 50 Old 11-05-2008, 11:21 PM

I am nursing my 19 mo. He still wakes up every few hours in the night to nurse. That is going to have to stop. :yawning:

love.gif

#28 of 50 Old 11-06-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksprklybarefoot View Post
I am nursing my 19 mo. He still wakes up every few hours in the night to nurse. That is going to have to stop. :yawning:
I hear ya!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#29 of 50 Old 11-06-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reha View Post
My nipples are killing me, but I can't deny him when he says 'Mommy, I'll be really gentle, because I want to nurse'.
This is the sweetest thing I've read in a long time. Makes me smile so big!
#30 of 50 Old 11-06-2008, 09:14 AM

I found out today I'm pregnant - hooray! DS will be only 9 months next week, so I really want to keep nursing him! I haven't picked up the Tandem Nursing book, but it sounds like a good one. Does it usually take a lot of work to keep up your supply while pregnant?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page