Anyone else pregnant and co-sleeping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 11-05-2008, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm getting so little sleep lately that I'm overwhelmed. My DD is 3 and this past week has been going through a phase of not sleeping much. She's got a stuffy nose so that might be it, but between her waking me and the difficulties I'm having getting to sleep I'm exhausted. I think I was in bed for 6 hours last night and up with her 5 times and then she's been up since 5:30.

We're heading in the direction of night-weaning as she's happy to nurse for a few seconds and then roll over and go to sleep and I just think about how much easier this first trimester fatigue would be if she'd just SLEEP! Anyone out there want to wallow with me?

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 11-05-2008, 12:37 PM

Here I am! I'm co-sleeping...with my almost 7 year old! Oh my. I really would like to have him in his own bed before my belly gets big but I'm not sure how that'll happen. He seems to need contact with someone next to him in order to sleep. And even then, he doesn't sleep all that well. Last night he woke up at 2 am and has been up ever since.

Kristin, momma to Cade (11/01) and Camden (7/09) . Wife to Jeff and lover of Jesus.
My life in smilies:  treehugger.gifhomeschool.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gifvbac.gifdishes.gifwash.gifmodifiedartist.gifsewmachine.gifreading.gifgeek.gifphotosmile2.gif
#3 of 24 Old 11-05-2008, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're co sleeping with my 4 yr old and it's driving me nuts! He's all over the bed and kicks alot. We've been trying to transition him to a mattress on the floor next to us for a long time but he always ends up with us in the middle of the night.
I'm not sure what we're going to do but changes are needed soon!

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#4 of 24 Old 11-05-2008, 02:02 PM

My youngest is only 10mo and nurses all night, so yeah...
#5 of 24 Old 11-05-2008, 02:16 PM

i'll wallow. my 5 year old sleeps in our bed and my 2 year old (who does sleep in her own bed) was up at 5 this morning. this sucks. yesterday i was so bagged i was asleep at 7:45pm. to top it all off, dh is sleeping all day as he is doing night shifts right now. bah. bah and bah.

my goal is to make it through the day w/o snapping.

2vbac mama to dd1-5 3/4, dd2 3, and ds- 07/10/09
#6 of 24 Old 11-05-2008, 02:41 PM

I'm cosleeping with our 13 month old. We have a toddler bed side-carred, but only because we needed the extra space! She moves around A LOT at night and will sometimes lay in there, sometimes lay perpendicular between DH and I, sometimes lay on my back. It's pretty funny to DH and I right now, but I'm sure as my belly gets bigger it will be less so :P Also, we had planned on continuing cosleeping with both kids when LO#2 is born, but I'm not sure it would be safe with our little monkey crawling all around! I'm kinda hoping she'll nightwean on her own and start STTN. Haha

Sarah, loving wife to Michael (9/6/03), SAHM to my big girl Maya "Monkey" Grace (10/5/07) and my baby girl Charlotte "Bugsy" Mae (7/2/09) : :
#7 of 24 Old 11-05-2008, 02:56 PM

Oooh I feel ya! In our queen size bed, by morning we have me, DH, 5yo ds, 4yo dd & almost 2yo dd. Craaamped and we are going to work on getting them to stay in their beds starting tonight. lol They have one huuuge bed really (2 queen sized mattress sets on the floor). They think it's so fun, but they migrate to our bed when we're fast asleep.
#8 of 24 Old 11-05-2008, 03:21 PM

I am cosleeping with my DS as well. He has been teething 3 molars lately so I do not get much sleep. He would nurse every 0.5 -1 hr starting like at 2 AM. I was wondering about just giving him Tylenol and getting sleep, but he never had any drugs (besides Mylicon like twice which did not work for us). I ended up giving him Hylands which helped a little. But usually he sleeps fine first couple of hours, and then when he starts this thing at 2AM I am way to sleepy to try to put 3 tablets in his mouth...
So I feel like a zombie...
#9 of 24 Old 11-05-2008, 03:58 PM

Sort of co-sleeping too.

Willow is 5...and usually she sleeps at the end of the bed ("Like a puppy!" she says)... usually in the middle of the night I pull her up to snuggle with me.

We got a new bed...it's only a queen and toooo small. lol

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#10 of 24 Old 11-05-2008, 05:22 PM

We are cosleepers and with #3 coming, we are going to have to upgrade to a King Size bed. I sleep on one side, dd2 13 months,dh and then dd1 almost 3.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#11 of 24 Old 11-05-2008, 05:28 PM

Pregnant, cosleeping and what seems like almost constant night-nursing. The last one I've got to fix. I can't take much more.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#12 of 24 Old 11-05-2008, 07:40 PM

Another co-sleeper.
My 2.5 yr. old is a sleeping miracle. We walk him to his bed, read stories, give kisses, and don't see him again until the morning.

My 4.5 yr. old is a sleep nightmare. He wants constant contact. For over a year now we start the night with putting him in his own room--Daddy goes with him and stays til he falls asleep--but he always ends up in my bed. ALWAYS.

My 10 mo. old is a horrible sleeper too and seems to want constant contact and nurse all night long. I am hoping this will will change as he gets older and I get further along in pregnancy. I wish those two would sleep with each other and hang all over each other all night long and let me get some sleep.
#13 of 24 Old 11-05-2008, 08:50 PM

We are. Thinking of nightweaning, unless it happens on its own in the next few months Yeah, right!
We have a king, but we are for sure going to sidecar another bed soon and have DD sleep there. I don't feel like our king would allow enough room for another person, and I don't want DD flopping on a young baby. It boggles my mind that some of you have multiple kids with you in a queen size! I don't think I would get any sleep.

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#14 of 24 Old 11-05-2008, 08:56 PM
wbg

Not pregnant now, but have been there. We co sleep with our 8yr, 7yr, 5yr and infant. A few years back we bought a king size bed, chopped off the legs and now we sleep on the floor. We then bought a queen futon which we unroll each night next to the bed, and then the 6 of us, kind of find our groove sprawled across the "floor bed". I try to get everyone off to bed in their own room and they all make their way into our room throughout the night.

During my last two weeks of my last pregnancy, I could not take it so I landed up sleeping in my boys room by myself in the single bed! But the whole family just followed me there and slept on the floor of that room! Felt a little bad, but was too uncomfortable to care!

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !
#15 of 24 Old 11-05-2008, 09:37 PM

Yeah...we've been trying to transition our 18mo to his toddler bed, but, we need to get a bed rail because he falls out. He seems to be working towards weening lately though he only takes a few sucks and then asks for water....he only nurses once or twice (in the past 2 days lol) a night now...so could be just a phase I guess.
#16 of 24 Old 11-06-2008, 12:37 AM

My 19 mo has a crib at this point, but he still nurses at night. I would say that 9 nights out of 10 he spends some portion of the night in our bed.

I would love to nightwean him, but he isn't on board with the plan and I am afraid that he will wake up his sister. She lives with us every other week, and one week is just not enough time to break the habit.

love.gif

#17 of 24 Old 11-06-2008, 10:18 AM

DS is only almost 9 months, so we're still doing co-sleeping, night-nursing. We have our bed on the floor with his crib mattress right next to us, but he rarely uses it. I think when my due date starts to get close we'll start trying to get him to sleep on his own mattress next to me. A squirmy, kicking toddler + newborn just doesn't sound good to me!
#18 of 24 Old 11-06-2008, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, so reading that I'm not the only sleep-deprived fool out there makes me feel better. That's a good thing, right?

So last night we tried out something new. DH and I switched spots so that when DD woke up he tried to settle her. I think he managed to get her back to sleep once and then she came over to my side and nursed the next time she woke, so at least I got a little bit more alone time. Hopefully it's something we can work one especially for once the baby is born.

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#19 of 24 Old 11-07-2008, 03:41 PM

Wallow wallow wallow.

My 19 month old has been nursing fairly constantly starting at about 2-3am. Ouch. My 5.5 year old dd comes in to the big bed at sometime during the night. She wasn't too bad last ngiht after I had a talk to her about snuggling a little too close (she's been throwing a leg over me that's been making me feel hot and trapped).

I'm not quite sure which has been a worst for me. The constant nursing or feeling so darn hot. I can stand having blankets and kids all in my space right now.

Oh and the dog has been lying on my feet most of the time as well. :

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
#20 of 24 Old 11-07-2008, 11:18 PM

Not in your DDC, but I can totally relate! DD (3yo) sleeps with us and is driving me crazy! Poor thing has a cold (we all do) and has not been sleeping well. She's been kicking, waking up all of the time, twiddling nonstop when she nurses...grrrr.

Don't really know what we'll do when the baby comes in April. Thinking about a sidecar co-sleeper. Guess we'll see!
#21 of 24 Old 11-08-2008, 01:10 AM

What works for us
My 4 year old daughter and I sleep in a double bed in one room, my 2 year old son sleeps with Papa in another room. In the early morning, Papa brings my son in to sleep another hour or two with us, untill the alarm goes off in our room. The kids actually sleep through the alarm, so i can bring them out to the sofa for snuggles one at a time.

Oh, and I have been getting a nap everyday, with one kid or both depending on my daughter's energy level.

I do recall being really tired, and frustrated when I was getting big and pregnant last time and we did move my daughter into a single bed which was up against our big bed. I also ended up weaning her for one month, because it hurt and made me so grumpy it wasn't worth it. She started back up again after the baby was born and my milk came in like gang busters!

Co-sleeping is a funny thing, sometimes it's great and sometimes it's not, but it sure makes me feel close to my kids..

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#22 of 24 Old 11-08-2008, 07:41 PM

a little late joining this thread...

we are still co sleeping and night nursing.. both of which I want to wean him from.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#23 of 24 Old 11-10-2008, 03:19 PM

THIS is what we plan to do when #2 arrives for SURE. My DD will be just 2.5 and I doubt she'll be ready to be on her own. We have a queen size bed and DD (20 months) currently sleeps in between us. SO, my hope is that it will be newborn on the crib, then me, then DD, then daddy. That way my toddler still has me (who she just needs to be next to and she sleeps great) and I can nurse the newborn all night, and we have enough space for everyone. I don't think DH exactly likes the idea of being so far from me, but it's not any further than he is now... and our kids won't be young forever!
#24 of 24 Old 11-11-2008, 01:16 PM

Congrats on your pg!!

Wish I had time to read thru the responses but baby about to wake. I was in a similar situation this time last year. A couple things worked.

1. I spent the night - or part of the night - in another bed. We have a guest bed so I would go to bed in there. When DD woke DH would calm her and she most often would go back to sleep. If they really needed me, I'd go in and nurse her - but at least I'd get a LITTLE extra sleep.

2. After spending a couple nights in the guest bed, I moved back into our bed but with a new sleeping arrangement. Bed rail on one side, DD next to it, DH in the middle, me on the other side (so not next to DD). She often woke but fell asleep with just DH comforting her. Not all the time, but some of the time.

I wanted DD to get used to the new sleeping arrangement long before the baby came because I knew we'd co-sleep with both in the bed, knew I didn't want the two LOs sleeping next to each other and knew I didn't want DD to associate the new arrangement with the arrival of the baby (to prevent jealousy). The added benefit was that she was a little further away from me and the need to wake in the night significantly decreased.

Good luck! It is exhausting - I know!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page