Chat Thread: We can chat about anything here - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 153 Old 11-22-2008, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok ladies, you have all made me feel so much more normal?

shantiani, so sorry about your crummy medical bill! financial stuff is stressful, pg or not! i hope they get it situated for you right away.

eli's mama, i can't help lol thinking about the waiter singing happy birthday. i'm so glad your dog is ok though. just the *idea* that it could have been on would have really freaked me out.

ATruck (ack, I know you had a name, I just can't see it on the reply page!) me too on being grouchy especially with dh. last night, i was trying to be extra cheerful to counterbalance the emotional craziness and hopefully, i came up with a happy medium. i don't really know if it worked though. i'm sure my face went from rage to tears to cheer and i just looked insane again. lol

all right, i am taking control today. i am going running (well, this has kind of morphed into walking the steep uphills and running the in betweens and downhills) as soon as dh steps out of the shower. i am also going to eat as much raw food as i can today. i KNOW that the sugary stuff and the bread type things i've been eating are not helping.

Christie

Vegan, homeschooling mom to my 3 boys and my girl, missing Matthew born still at 34 weeks

#122 of 153 Old 11-22-2008, 02:30 PM

Hang in there everyone! The first trimester does not last forever
I have to keep telling myself that anyway LOL

Yay to keeping breakfast down today!

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#123 of 153 Old 11-22-2008, 02:35 PM

I found my midwife yesterday. I only interviewed 2 because we don't have that many options where I live. One was a little outside my comfort zone with some of her homeopathic philosophies but the other was pretty middle of the road and flexible.
The one I chose is also the only licensed midwife in the area that does homebirths. The others in the area are not licensed which is not that big of deal except it helps that my insurance will pay some of a licensed mw and that she can order an ultrasound or other tests if needed.
I'm happy with my choice and feel a little lighter now that one thing is settled.

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#124 of 153 Old 11-22-2008, 06:22 PM

Hello, all! Sorry for not posting in a while, but we have had a crazy week, and I have just been in survival mode. My dh is a minister, and a man he was friends with in our church committed suicide on Saturday night. Usually our week is crazy from Thurs - Sun and then dh takes Sun afternoon and Monday off, but this week he was just in so much shock (he was there before the coroner even left and helped the funeral home guys clean up so the family wouldn't have to) that he spent two days basically either doing funeral arrangements of in bed. Then he had to get up and get ready to do the funeral, then yesterday he had to start getting ready for Sunday, and then he leaves on Sunday afternoon for a conference in Toronto and is gone until THursday, at which point he will once more have to get ready for Sunday . . . so what I'm saying is that I've been essentially solo parenting while feeling yukky and pregnant (fortunately not too yukky) and trying to be supportive to him and to the family of the man who died. And I don't get a real break, for another two weeks.

So, yeah, I didn't want to be all sensational and whiny, so I didn't really post this week.

Also, I'm working on a bed sized quilt for my god daughter. Her birthday party is tomorrow, and I wanted to get it done in time. No such luck, though. I still have another 8 or 10 hours of work to do.

As far as the pregnancy goes, I am a bit more emotional than usual, and really tired, but not too sick so long as I take care to eat. I had sciatic nerve problems last time, and I'm already getting sore backs, so I'm trying to stand really straight and excersise my back and abs. I really turn inward when I'm pregnant, so I think its a bit hard for the boys. I'm just not as emotionally available as usual.

I have told two friends -- one around here, and one who lives in New Brunswick. Other than that, we won't tell anyone until mid-december, right around the 12 month mark. My family is spread all over the place, and dh's family is very chattery, and we've lived in 4 or 5 different places and had pretty wide reaching social networks. So once news gets out about us, it gets OUT, so we don't tell people things we don't want EVERYONE to know.

Angelorum, I wouldn't tell people at work yet. When I was working and pregnant, no one even really noticed for 14 or 15 weeks. Although, I was teaching and I moved to a new school at the semester change in FEb when I was already 2 mos pregnant, so people didn't really know that I had been thinner two months before . . .

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#125 of 153 Old 11-22-2008, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think I have been over-the-top emotional so far. Maybe my DH has a different opinion though!

We spent the afternoon at the thrift store. I bought a bunch of baskets for Xmas presents, and I came across some retro flour/sugar/etc containers from 1978 with mushrooms on them for super cheap! I am super excited about them Unfortunately, I have no where to put them, since my kitchen is TINY.. but I had to have them. We'll move eventually and I'll make sure to get a place with a much larger kitchen.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#126 of 153 Old 11-22-2008, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good luck with the next couple of weeks Jilly, it's always so daunting when you know you've got a crazy time coming.

I had a funny dream last night that we lived with my mom (or she lived with us, it's all kinda hazy) and that I found her on MDC stalking all my posts and she was really upset that we hadn't told her we were expecting. I couldn't figure out how she found out until I realized that my positive pregnancy test has been sitting on my nightstand since the day I peed on it.

The dream probably is coming from the anxiety I have about telling her. I know she'll be excited about the pregnancy, but in the past she's reacted really negatively about the idea of home birth, which we are planning to do. The subject will come up because she knows we don't have any insurance, and MIL is a home birth midwife which I've talked about before. I've been hoping to educate her about it all before I got pregnant, but as this was unexpected I haven't gotten very far. I think once she knows more about it, it won't be so bad, as all of her reactions are really coming from misinformation/ignorance on the subject. A few months ago I mentioned in an email that she should watch the Business of Being Born (she has a netflix account) but she never mentioned it so I don't know if she ever did. I'm probably worrying about it more than necessary, she was really calm and respectful when my sister was having her first, but then sis had hers in hospital with the epi. we'll see.

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#127 of 153 Old 11-22-2008, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Angelorum- Good luck telling your mom. My mom would be supportive of me having a HB, but my MIL I think will have a harder time with the idea. So, we'll see.

A girl in another online forum that I visit (before I found MDC) who is a L&D nurse is totally freaking every one out with the possibility of me having a HB. Which totally sucks... I get that she sees high risk births (some that they create) all the time, but I wonder how often she sees a normal, intervention and drug free birth?

#128 of 153 Old 11-23-2008, 11:12 AM

I know that around here they rarely see natural births. When I went to our hospital (the nearest MW is 2 hrs drive away from me and I was delivering in Jan) for a little tour during my last preg., the Labour and Delivery nurse was older, and she was really funny and nostalgic. She kept saying things like, "We used to have a real birthing bed in here, but now we just have a regular bed, becuase almost all the women just get hooked up to an epidural right away" and when my doc was on holidays and I went to see his replacement, he was just checking all my information in case I went into labour in the next couple of weeks, and he said, "And you'll be having an epidural?" in a sort of I-know-you-will-be-but-I have-to-ask kind of way.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#129 of 153 Old 11-24-2008, 03:27 PM

Hey ladies!

Crawling out of my deep dark hole and blinking at the flurry of noise and information.
I've been totally withdrawn lately, from everyone. I spent much of Saturday alone in a dark bedroom, not reading or watching a movie or anything.. just me and my thoughts. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I don't want to do anything or go anywhere. I would like to fast forward about 4 weeks... anyone know how I could pull that off??
In the last week 2 women i know have given birth and it just feels surreal to me, I can't even connect with my feelings about them or the babies. It actually makes me kinda nauseated and weak-kneed to think about them being in labor and giving birth.
Uurgh, writing about this isn't improving matters. I guess I just wanted to say, hi. I'm still here, the day will come when I'll be posting regularily again, but for now... i guess I'm just too darn grumpy.
Hope everyone is doing well, hugs to all

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#130 of 153 Old 11-24-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

I have my m/w appt today and I'm 9 weeks!

#131 of 153 Old 11-24-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I have my m/w appt today and I'm 9 weeks!
Good luck

#132 of 153 Old 11-25-2008, 01:34 PM

I just had to throw out there somewhere that I am so excited for Thursday! We just got the news that both of our mom's parents along with all of our parents & siblings are doing Thanksgiving together since we're going to be home! So we get to tell the whole family at the same time about the baby! I'm practically bursting at the seams ready to tell them! :

Is anyone else spilling the beans this week?

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

#133 of 153 Old 11-25-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbride View Post
I just had to throw out there somewhere that I am so excited for Thursday! We just got the news that both of our mom's parents along with all of our parents & siblings are doing Thanksgiving together since we're going to be home! So we get to tell the whole family at the same time about the baby! I'm practically bursting at the seams ready to tell them! :

We are spending Thanksgiving with dh's family and are telling them. We'll call my family probably Friday, since we won't see them in person until Christmas.

Funny story about my in-laws:

so a couple of months ago my sil calls up to announce her VERY unexpected first pregnancy. We laugh and congratulate and I joke with dh about how we're falling behind as we have no kids yet. The day after that, my other sil calls dh and says she hopes we are pregnant. We were not trying to conceive and I had just got my period, so dh says we're not and asks why. She says that when sil called to announce her pg, it dawned on her that maybe that was why she had been feeling so crappy and lo and behold, she's accidentally pregnant too. She didn't want to rain on her sister's parade, and thought it wouldn't be so bad if we were expecting too. So here I am 2 months later, having been totally taken by surprise by my own pregnancy and excited to tell them so we can all laugh and commiserate and imagine the three little cousins all the same age running around when we get together in the future. we all were really trying to avoid, and none of us even slipped up with the birth control, it's so baffling how it could happen to all three of us at nearly the same time.

Lizzyq, how did your appointment go?

#134 of 153 Old 11-25-2008, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbride View Post

We are!

#135 of 153 Old 11-25-2008, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post
We are spending Thanksgiving with dh's family and are telling them. We'll call my family probably Friday, since we won't see them in person until Christmas.

Funny story about my in-laws:

so a couple of months ago my sil calls up to announce her VERY unexpected first pregnancy. We laugh and congratulate and I joke with dh about how we're falling behind as we have no kids yet. The day after that, my other sil calls dh and says she hopes we are pregnant. We were not trying to conceive and I had just got my period, so dh says we're not and asks why. She says that when sil called to announce her pg, it dawned on her that maybe that was why she had been feeling so crappy and lo and behold, she's accidentally pregnant too. She didn't want to rain on her sister's parade, and thought it wouldn't be so bad if we were expecting too. So here I am 2 months later, having been totally taken by surprise by my own pregnancy and excited to tell them so we can all laugh and commiserate and imagine the three little cousins all the same age running around when we get together in the future. we all were really trying to avoid, and none of us even slipped up with the birth control, it's so baffling how it could happen to all three of us at nearly the same time.

Lizzyq, how did your appointment go?
wow! thats pretty cool!!!

my appt went well.. little bean is still sticky

#136 of 153 Old 11-25-2008, 11:53 PM

I finally figured out how to easily post to MDC from my blackberry, so hopefully I can be more active on this thread. Yay!

I was 7 weeks yesterday and decided to go ahead and draw my blood for a basic CBC, just for fun. I tried drawing it myself, but wasn't very successful at that, so I had a midwife friend of mine do it. . I didn't have any lab work done at all last time, and this time I just want to do a CBC early on and then again in the 3rd trimester, just for fun to see what my body does. It's handy to have a lab account set up, so I can order it myself.

I have been to acupuncture 2 times now, and I am inclined to think it has helped. I'm still throwing up when I first wake up, but I can sort of eat and I can go in the kitchen again with out dry heaving. So, that's something.
This is sure an expensive 1st trimester, with all the takeout I have been getting. I wish I could have a thanksgiving, but we are skipping it, since I can't cook, and I'm not fond of my mom's food.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#137 of 153 Old 12-03-2008, 04:18 PM

Hello there ladies! Hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving Day.
Ours was pretty good, enjoyed dinner immensely, got very sleepy and took a big nap with my 2 year old son, who was sick with runny poop for a few days... yuck!

The only real downer of the day was when my very religious Grandmother launched into a highly inappropriate description of the failings of her children and how God has comforted her in the face of her children's failures.... Totally yucky. Wish my kids hadn't been there for that.

The last few days have been significantly better for me, following a few truly awful days of misery wherein I found myself wondering, "Why, oh why, I hadn't protected my body from this...." Been thinking I should write that up all fancy with caligraphy and post it on the wall by our bed... as a reminder to use protection! te heee.

We had our first real snowfall today.. it's all white and lovely outside. The sun is shining and it's pretty warm, we played in the yard for awhile. My pant legs are damp at the bottom... winter.

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#138 of 153 Old 12-03-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
A girl in another online forum that I visit (before I found MDC) who is a L&D nurse is totally freaking every one out with the possibility of me having a HB. Which totally sucks... I get that she sees high risk births (some that they create) all the time, but I wonder how often she sees a normal, intervention and drug free birth?
First off, yay for you being another SLC homebirther : I'm actually in North Salt Lake. Are you shopping for midwives or have you found someone? Also, I'm sorry you have to deal with a negative nurse in your ear. It is funny how some L&D nurses just don't get that what they see in the hospital is not what we see at home. Not even close. There is no comparison.
#139 of 153 Old 12-03-2008, 05:30 PM

So after not having much of any sleep the past week, none that was uninterrupted, my best friend gave me the ultimate gift this morning! She came upstairs (she lives in my basement and watches the boys while I'm at births instead of paying rent) at the crack of predawn (when the boys get up), and took care of them all day! She even got Kieran ready for school and ran him in and filled my car with gas! So I was able to sleep for several hours without a little one wiggling next to me, the boys fighting, disney channel blaring in the background....it was heaven. Funky dream filled, but heaven none the less. In fact, I woke up and was really sad because in my dream I'd deep cleaned and organized my entire kitchen and decorated the house for christmas, then I woke up and my kitchen was a mess (although my friend did have a load in the dishwasher going, yay!) and there was no glitter or pine boughs in sight. *sigh*

Priceless Kieran (4) quotes I missed cause I was sleeping (he was apparently in rare form this morning):

"Unky Will would come over more if we through him parties."
"Sari, what's up with all this ghetto bootay dancing music, I thought you like good music?"
*while dancing to MC Hammer* "I can't control my booty!"

One golden moment from Liam (2):

"Hi Edward!" *to poster of Edward Cullen on the wall* followed up by "More Twilight!" Oh, he is my son!
#140 of 153 Old 12-03-2008, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonygoony View Post
First off, yay for you being another SLC homebirther : I'm actually in North Salt Lake. Are you shopping for midwives or have you found someone? Also, I'm sorry you have to deal with a negative nurse in your ear. It is funny how some L&D nurses just don't get that what they see in the hospital is not what we see at home. Not even close. There is no comparison.
I am going to Rebbecca Williams. How about you?

I think there are a few of us SLC mamas here... well, I am in both June and July, so maybe I am thinking of the other DDC.

#141 of 153 Old 12-03-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:

I think there are a few of us SLC mamas here... well, I am in both June and July, so maybe I am thinking of the other DDC.
I'm seeing Chris ****** and Melissa Mayo, but Rebecca is awesome, I was a doula at a birth with her last December (one of her first homebirths I think).

I don't know about here, but I do know a few mamas who are in the June/May clubs. One is my son's preschool teacher (we both teach Birthing From Within), and the other is a mama who is also seeing Chris and Melissa.
#142 of 153 Old 12-03-2008, 07:16 PM

I had my first interview today and it was so-so. It was about an hour away. I asked how many births she had attended and she said around 275. Her hospital transfer rate is 10% but she said that's mostly new moms. She also said no to attending breech births and twins. She's also had a different price for homebirth and birth center birth. Its not all that bad but I'm not sure.

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#143 of 153 Old 12-03-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMamiBella View Post
I had my first interview today and it was so-so. It was about an hour away. I asked how many births she had attended and she said around 275. Her hospital transfer rate is 10% but she said that's mostly new moms. She also said no to attending breech births and twins. She's also had a different price for homebirth and birth center birth. Its not all that bad but I'm not sure.
If you're not sure, I'd keep looking. 275 births isn't bad and I think many MW's mostly transfer new mom's for exhaustion (at least that's what I've been told). The no breech or twins thing would worry me but is that a legal thing where you are? I know my MW admits she doesn't have a lot of twin or breach experience but if we run into that, she'll bring in a much more experienced MW to assist. I'm completely okay with that.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#144 of 153 Old 12-03-2008, 07:33 PM

The no breech or twins thing would worry me but is that a legal thing where you are? I know my MW admits she doesn't have a lot of twin or breach experience but if we run into that, she'll bring in a much more experienced MW to assist. I'm completely okay with that.[/QUOTE]

I don't think its illegal and I'm sure the midwife would've told me if it was. I guess I'll keep looking. I'm lucky though cause there are at least 4-5 other places I can call.

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#145 of 153 Old 12-04-2008, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Here in UT, twin and breech births are illegal to attend for "certified" midwives (CNM, CPM), but not for lay and direct entry m/w's.

#146 of 153 Old 12-04-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:

I live in Utah valley, but I go to school in SLC

#147 of 153 Old 12-04-2008, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post
I live in Utah valley, but I go to school in SLC
:

What school are you going to? I'm going to SLCC currently- and hope to transfer to the U next year.

#148 of 153 Old 12-04-2008, 01:02 PM

I'm at the U. It's quite the commute, but usually it's not so bad. Losing my breakfast this morning on the bus was not so fun however. I hope it doesn't become a regular thing.

#149 of 153 Old 12-04-2008, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Angelorum- right on! You even take the bus up here? I am undecided whether or not I will take the fall 09 semester off or not. I started going to college when DS was 3 months old, but new LO will be 1 1/2 months when F09 semester starts.

#150 of 153 Old 12-04-2008, 03:28 PM

There's no way I would commute so far if I had to drive it. For one, I hate driving, it just stresses me out, especially in winter weather. For another, that's $$$$ for gas, even with it being so much lower now, it's still a 3rd of my gas tank round trip, and my car gets over 30 mpg. And then I'd have to buy a parking pass, or run out and pay meters like everyone else does. My bus pass is free as long as I'm paying tuition. Also, I get can get a lot of homework done on the bus, though lately I've just been napping. I usually take an express bus, it only stops a few times between my stop and downtown, and then I just transfer to one of several buses that go to the U. That way, it's really not too much longer than driving would be.

I'm undecided about next fall too. Assuming I deliver at 40 weeks, babe will be only 4 weeks old when semester starts. There's no way I'm commuting so far with a baby that age, or leaving so young a baby at home with someone else. The most I can conceivably think to do is to take the one class I could probably get online. The rest have to be on the main campus, and some of them even require concurrent enrollment in another class. If I could go full time, I'd be done by Spring 2010. If we lived closer, I could probably do a lot more, but when you have to add 3+ hours of commuting time, one 50 minute class means a long time away from home. DH is planning on starting grad school at byu, which is one of the many reasons why we don't move farther north, but maybe we can move closer after he's finished and I can finish my degree. So, I really have no idea what's going to happen. I'll just have to figure it out as we go along.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page