Chat Thread: We can chat about anything here - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 153 Old 12-05-2008, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMamiBella View Post
I had my first interview today and it was so-so. It was about an hour away. I asked how many births she had attended and she said around 275. Her hospital transfer rate is 10% but she said that's mostly new moms. She also said no to attending breech births and twins. She's also had a different price for homebirth and birth center birth. Its not all that bad but I'm not sure.
If you are not sure, keep looking. And remember to trust your instincts, how you feel about a midwife is important.... she's gonna be there during a very intense time in your life. I remember when I met my first midwife, how good I felt, like I had just made a new friend.....
My current midwife also has different charges for a birth center birth, but for me it will be less at home, so it's not an issue. Her facilities are super awesome, more like a bed and breakfast than anything else. I'd be tempted to birth there if it didn't involve getting there... so not interested in a car ride ANYWHERE while in labor!
Oh and regarding hospital transfers... does the midwife have an established hospital where she generally transfers to? I find it very reassuring to know my midwife has a great relationship with the staff at the hospital blocks away from the birth center.... women do need hospital care sometimes and having a staff that is accustomed to a particular midwife's expectations can be a great thing. Her husband is a doctor there, and was my back up doc last time around.

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 153 Old 12-05-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Here in UT, twin and breech births are illegal to attend for "certified" midwives (CNM, CPM), but not for lay and direct entry m/w's.
Just to clarify, it is only illegal for Licensed Direct-Entry midwives. I know a mama who is seeing a CNM and has dual care for her twin's birth. CPMs who are unlicensed still do attend twins and breeches. And the only people who attend vaginal breech births in Utah are unlicensed direct-entry midwives and one OB, Dr. Silver at the UofU. Also, LDEMs are allowed to attend "surprise breech births" if the birth is "emminent"
#153 of 153 Old 12-05-2008, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonygoony View Post
Just to clarify, it is only illegal for Licensed Direct-Entry midwives. I know a mama who is seeing a CNM and has dual care for her twin's birth. CPMs who are unlicensed still do attend twins and breeches. And the only people who attend vaginal breech births in Utah are unlicensed direct-entry midwives and one OB, Dr. Silver at the UofU. Also, LDEMs are allowed to attend "surprise breech births" if the birth is "emminent"

My doula teacher at SLCC works for an OB who will deliver breech and twin births.. he is in UT county.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page