Special Considerations Second + Time Around? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-08-2008, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I remember reading when I was pregnant with my ds about diseases you have to worry about getting from your child when you are pregnant with your second, etc. I'm finding it impossible not to get snot, spit, and dirty hands on me, and I'm trying to wash my hands a lot, but they're starting to crack and bleed, so I think I need to let up.

My question to those of you who have previous children is how careful you are and what you do to avoid getting germs from your older children. I don't want to distance myself from my ds, and we BF and bedshare, so I don't even know how much difference hand washing makes.

Bed sharing, baby wearing, breastfeeding mama of Vonn (dob 12/9/07) and Reuben (dob 7/17/09).
#2 of 6 Old 11-08-2008, 11:32 PM

I don't know what the "correct" answer is, but, I really haven't changed anything...I think, though, its really hard for me to change anything because Johnny is still my "baby," mentally...you know? He was REALLY sick about a week ago and I did ask the dr if I should be concerned and he didn't think so. I know chicken pox is supposed to be bad, but the dr said sense I had it as a child, even if I got it again while preggo it would probably be such a light case it wouldn't cause harm (they thought briefly my son had chicken pox--but, he didn't).

I work with kids though, and I have been a little extra cautious not to breath there air--I feel a little more concerned about "outside" germs that I might not be as "immune" too.
#3 of 6 Old 11-09-2008, 12:27 AM

Good question. This is definitely something I need to think about. I work with 3-4 year olds on Sundays and they're always breathing all over me! lol I know that I plan on taking my vitamins every day, getting plenty of water and rest, and maybe taking elderberry if needed (I would have to find out if that can be taken while pregnant first). My son hasn't had chicken pox yet and I wanted to expose him if possible but I guess I better put that on hold for now!

Kristin, momma to Cade (11/01) and Camden (7/09) . Wife to Jeff and lover of Jesus.
My life in smilies:  treehugger.gifhomeschool.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gifvbac.gifdishes.gifwash.gifmodifiedartist.gifsewmachine.gifreading.gifgeek.gifphotosmile2.gif
#4 of 6 Old 11-10-2008, 02:14 PM

There was a pox party this week in my area and I TOTALLY would have gone had I not just found out I was preggers. OH well, now my kids can maybe get exposed together someday.

I don't change anything day to day, though. I try to eat as healthy as I can, but I don't think having a cold is going to really harm my unborn child. When I was pg with my DD I got the flu so bad I was puking for a day STRAIGHT.

I really think proper nutrition will help your defenses, you obviously can't really avoid your toddlers boogers and coughs... at least I can't!
#5 of 6 Old 11-10-2008, 04:09 PM

I thought exposure to pox was only dangerous if the mother didn't have immunity?

I know that fifths disease is another that pregnant women need to be cautious of.

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
#6 of 6 Old 11-11-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemommy View Post
I thought exposure to pox was only dangerous if the mother didn't have immunity?
You're probably right but I am not taking any chances.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page