Hypnosis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-10-2008, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone asked about hypnosis in another thread, and I thought it deserved a reply in it's own thread.

I used Hypnobabies for my second birth and it was AMAZING. At first I thought it was a load of baloney and the whole idea made me nervous (what if it plants some idea and I end up clucking like a chicken?? ha ha), but nothing could have been further from the truth. It was relaxing, it was peaceful and I was fully present through every moment of my birth. I even had to ride in a car with my husband over an hour away, in labor, to the birth center and it was easy as pie - even after my cd player died and I couldn't listen to it anymore. He and I calmly discussed baby names, the weather, the glow of the moon, whatever, and every 5 minutes or so I'd just relax, get quiet, let the wave come and go and get right back to what I was doing. My midwife seemed a bit miffed that I wasn't screaming like a banshee by the time we got there. She fully expected my labor to continue for many many hours - I was so calm, she thought there was no way I could be having a baby soon! I was her first hypnosis-birth. She seemed to be astounded by how calm my birth was. I beat her time projections by quite a bit, too...I had that baby shortly after I got there.

I wouldn't say it was totally pain free from start to finish, but I can't really describe it. Like the contractions were a non-issue. When my son was crowning I definitely felt some pain. I didn't listen to the labor cd, however. I don't know why, I just didn't want to hear it at the time. Perhaps that would have made a difference.

I will definitely be digging those cds back out, I can tell you! I'm also going to try the cd they have for nausea this time, I'll try anything to keep the hyperemesis at bay!

HTH!
#2 of 8 Old 11-10-2008, 10:11 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience. That sounds really nice. I didn't have to much difficulty with contractions, just relaxed as much as possible, but found the pushing phase very difficult. What is hypnobirthing like during that phase? I was in the hospital (preterm labor) so there was no "breathing the baby out"- it was directed pushing all the way.

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#3 of 8 Old 11-10-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger75 View Post
Someone asked about hypnosis in another thread, and I thought it deserved a reply in it's own thread.

I used Hypnobabies for my second birth and it was AMAZING. At first I thought it was a load of baloney and the whole idea made me nervous (what if it plants some idea and I end up clucking like a chicken?? ha ha), but nothing could have been further from the truth. It was relaxing, it was peaceful and I was fully present through every moment of my birth. I even had to ride in a car with my husband over an hour away, in labor, to the birth center and it was easy as pie - even after my cd player died and I couldn't listen to it anymore. He and I calmly discussed baby names, the weather, the glow of the moon, whatever, and every 5 minutes or so I'd just relax, get quiet, let the wave come and go and get right back to what I was doing. My midwife seemed a bit miffed that I wasn't screaming like a banshee by the time we got there. She fully expected my labor to continue for many many hours - I was so calm, she thought there was no way I could be having a baby soon! I was her first hypnosis-birth. She seemed to be astounded by how calm my birth was. I beat her time projections by quite a bit, too...I had that baby shortly after I got there.

I wouldn't say it was totally pain free from start to finish, but I can't really describe it. Like the contractions were a non-issue. When my son was crowning I definitely felt some pain. I didn't listen to the labor cd, however. I don't know why, I just didn't want to hear it at the time. Perhaps that would have made a difference.

I will definitely be digging those cds back out, I can tell you! I'm also going to try the cd they have for nausea this time, I'll try anything to keep the hyperemesis at bay!

HTH!
I want to try hypnobabies but I wonder if it will work if I am induced? I am against induction and Im against pain medication. However my husband works offshore 2 weeks a month and it could take him 12 hours to get flown back to shore and get home to the hospital! So if I dont go into labor on my own while he is home - I am going to see if I cannot be induced when he is home (especially if I am already dialating). But I hear its much harder to go it without pain relief when you have pitocin going.

Loving Mother to our adoption miracle, Riana :, and our angel baby, Xavier. Trying for baby. Wife to my Hero! BLOG LINK IN PROFILE
#4 of 8 Old 11-10-2008, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATruck View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. That sounds really nice. I didn't have to much difficulty with contractions, just relaxed as much as possible, but found the pushing phase very difficult. What is hypnobirthing like during that phase? I was in the hospital (preterm labor) so there was no "breathing the baby out"- it was directed pushing all the way.
Like I said, I chose not to listen to the final cd (I was so focused by that point I didn't want any distractions), but my experience with his birth at a free-standing birth center was definitely a whole lot better than the hospital birth with my daughter. It's impossible to compare the two! I did breathe DS out and it was pretty amazing. Just being calm enough and centered enough, thanks to the hypnosis training, allowed me to really be in tune with my body and let things flow naturally. DD's birth in a hospital was 3.5 hours of directed pushing - it was hell on earth. With DS I pushed at the very very end and it only took about half an hour.

I can't tell you how much of it was the different choice of birth location and attendants, my own reading and how much of it was the hypnosis, but I do truly feel that it kept me calm and collected and so present in my body that I knew exactly what to do.

After my daughter's birth I vowed I would never do it again, that I would find an OB who'd do an elective c-section. Luckily I read a lot and stayed away from that route! DS's birth was the most amazing experience and I can't wait to give birth again!
#5 of 8 Old 11-10-2008, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_Mother View Post
I want to try hypnobabies but I wonder if it will work if I am induced? I am against induction and Im against pain medication. However my husband works offshore 2 weeks a month and it could take him 12 hours to get flown back to shore and get home to the hospital! So if I dont go into labor on my own while he is home - I am going to see if I cannot be induced when he is home (especially if I am already dialating). But I hear its much harder to go it without pain relief when you have pitocin going.
I bet it would be really beneficial to someone being induced. Anything to help you have the birth you want (no pain meds) is good! I truly wanted a med free birth with my first and unfortunately I just wasn't prepared for it, I wish I had tried hypnosis then. I think I could have skipped getting the epidural, which led to many many more interventions and made the whole experience pretty awful.

Hopefully you'll have your baby while your husband is home!
#6 of 8 Old 11-10-2008, 12:23 PM

Did you take a course or just buy the CDs? It looks like I live at least 3 hours from anybody who gives a course on it.

Mom to a little boy (June 2009)
#7 of 8 Old 11-10-2008, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird45 View Post
Did you take a course or just buy the CDs? It looks like I live at least 3 hours from anybody who gives a course on it.
I just did the self-study cds. There are no classes anywhere near me, either. Though I did love it so much that I wish I could take the instructor training!

The cds are great and it was actually nice, making sure I took the time to just sit and relax for a period of time every day. It feels a little...goofy...in the beginning. I'd think to myself "this is ridiculous! It'll never work! I can't do it right!" Or I'd be totally unable to relax and my legs would start getting all jittery trying to sit still. As I practiced, though, I started having more faith in it and I found it easier and easier to relax. As I got further along, I would often listen to a cd as I went to bed, often dozing off in the middle. It really helped me sleep once I started getting more uncomfortable.
#8 of 8 Old 11-10-2008, 07:34 PM

I took the Hypnobabies class last time (absolutely worthless instructor though) and wished we'd just done it at home. In the end, I didn't end up really using it, although I do think the time I spent each day "practicing" was good for my blood pressure and overall mindset during labor. I think I may try again this time. I know I can do natural childbirth without it and I think I will buy into it more this time since I know what labor is like, etc. I'm willing to believe that being relaxed helps control the pain so that might be a step in the right direction.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page