Anyone else planning a HB? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 86 Old 11-23-2008, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I keep coming back to this thread! It is so exciting to see so many HB mommies here!
#62 of 86 Old 11-24-2008, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
This is my first!

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12
#63 of 86 Old 11-24-2008, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!
I am planning a travel birth with my back home midwife. So not really home. More like sublet birth. If I can't go to there, I am not sure what I will do. I may have a sublet birth closer to me but still like 90 minutes away OR I may go to a crunchy hospital like 90 minutes way. My least favorite option is to go to a semi-crunchy hospital 30 minutes away.

I don't know how difficult it will be to arrange prenatal care given my plans to birth out of state. Wish me luck!

It is so tempting to do a semi-UP also. Some of it is really not rocket science! I can certainly measure my belly work a doppler and pee on a stick pretty good.
#64 of 86 Old 11-24-2008, 12:52 PM

Yup. Planning my second homebirth! With my wonderful midwife from DD2's birth!

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#65 of 86 Old 11-24-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post
I think it will depend if I can find a midwife that takes our insurance, there is no way we can afford to pay out of pocket.
You might be surprised at how reasonable the cost is...it varies quite a bit from state to state. Or your midwife might have a scaled fee or be open to barter or something.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#66 of 86 Old 11-24-2008, 01:03 PM

I just had an (unplanned unnassisted) planned homebirth, four weeks ago and it was the best experience I've ever had!
My hubby got to catch our little girl on our livingroom floor!
Good luck to everyone having a homebirth!
With my first I had a hospital birth and homebirth is by far, way better!
:
#67 of 86 Old 11-24-2008, 01:13 PM

I haven't made any appointments. There are quite a few midwives to choose from in my area. I have used the same midwife twice. I can't decide whether to stay with the same or go with someone new. This will likely be our last baby and I want to make the right decision. I also thought for sure I wanted a homebirth but dh reminded me of how our house isn't usually sparkling clean, and that I might be embarassed when the midwife shows up.

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#68 of 86 Old 11-24-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
You might be surprised at how reasonable the cost is...it varies quite a bit from state to state. Or your midwife might have a scaled fee or be open to barter or something.
Yep this is true. My midwife charged $3500 but Dh painted her office and was able to take some money off of that.

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#69 of 86 Old 11-24-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMamiBella View Post
I also thought for sure I wanted a homebirth but dh reminded me of how our house isn't usually sparkling clean, and that I might be embarassed when the midwife shows up.
This sounds like a concern I would have! "I can't do a HB because the house is a wreck."

Of course, I suspect many midwives have seen some pretty messy houses, considering heavily PG women can only do so much cleaning...

Kristin

Mama to Laurel '06 & high needs Will '09
Crunchy in mainstream suburbia | Sleep-deprived WAHM
#70 of 86 Old 11-24-2008, 03:11 PM

I know a clean house is probably going to be the last thing on my mind when i'm labouring, I'm sure they've seen some pretty messy houses.

#71 of 86 Old 11-24-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMamiBella View Post
I haven't made any appointments. There are quite a few midwives to choose from in my area. I have used the same midwife twice. I can't decide whether to stay with the same or go with someone new. This will likely be our last baby and I want to make the right decision. I also thought for sure I wanted a homebirth but dh reminded me of how our house isn't usually sparkling clean, and that I might be embarassed when the midwife shows up.
Really, they don't care if your house is a bit messy. And you won't be thinking about it when you're in labor either. As long as it's not really nasty dirty (you know, a poop ring in the toilet and food glued to the kitchen floor) you are fine.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#72 of 86 Old 11-25-2008, 12:26 PM

The more I read about hospital births, the more I'm leaning towards HB.

I want to discuss it with my DPs, first. They're just as leery and distrusting of hospitals as I am. So long as it's a low-risk pregnancy and labor, it shouldn't be a big deal... right?

- Born 7/21/09
#73 of 86 Old 11-25-2008, 01:21 PM

I would go so far as to say that if your pregnancy is low-risk it's a bigger deal to go to the hospital than it is to stay home because of the risk of unnecessary interventions. I'm admittedly feeling really biased right now after watching Orgasmic Birth on the weekend, but it was a really fantastic film. I brought DH to see it and I think it really made the harsh differences between home and hospital births quite clear to him. If your DP's are hesitant maybe you could watch that and/or The Business of Being Born with them.

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#74 of 86 Old 11-25-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimProbable View Post
I would go so far as to say that if your pregnancy is low-risk it's a bigger deal to go to the hospital than it is to stay home because of the risk of unnecessary interventions. I'm admittedly feeling really biased right now after watching Orgasmic Birth on the weekend, but it was a really fantastic film. I brought DH to see it and I think it really made the harsh differences between home and hospital births quite clear to him. If your DP's are hesitant maybe you could watch that and/or The Business of Being Born with them.

ITA. Having done it both ways, there would have to be a very compelling medical reason to get me to even set foot in a hospital while in labor. The HB was THAT much better. I absolutely hated how powerless they made me feel in the hospital. And how pushing and fear mongering they were.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#75 of 86 Old 11-26-2008, 09:44 PM

I also want a homebirth. I'm trying to gather info on midwives so that I can get the planning started. I just wish my state made it easier!
#76 of 86 Old 11-27-2008, 05:28 PM

I've had two midwife deliveries (in hospital), and one emerg. cesarean. This one will be a cessarean done somewhere in the 36-38 week range
#77 of 86 Old 11-30-2008, 11:26 PM

I'm planning on a homebirth. My first babe was born at a hospital (natural vaginal breech), the three girls were home births. I cannot imagine a hospital birth this time. But I'm having a very hard time because I can't find a midwife. I'm praying that an opening will become available.

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
#78 of 86 Old 12-01-2008, 12:09 AM

I absolutely LOVED dd's homebirth and will have one this time too, even if it costs us 4000 dollars that we really dont have (anyone else in the sonoma county area?) and ditto firewoman~ i almost had ds in the car!

joyful mama to DS 2-05, open adoption birthmama to DD 5-07: and DS 6-98, and my littlest one 7-09. crazy in love with DH!
#79 of 86 Old 12-01-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamergrrl View Post
I also want a homebirth. I'm trying to gather info on midwives so that I can get the planning started. I just wish my state made it easier!
Have you tried nchomebirth.com?

#80 of 86 Old 12-01-2008, 10:46 PM

I'm a student homebirth midwife and so of course will be having my baby at home. I am concerned though. This Thurday there is a meeting to further regulate Licenced Direct-Entry Midwives in Utah in regards to VBAC mamas (which I am). I apprentice with two midwives, one licensed, one not. The one that is licensed was at my first HBAC and I would be sad if she was regulated into not coming to this birth. Everyone, please send good, low-regulation vibes and prayers on Thursday!
#81 of 86 Old 12-01-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonygoony View Post
I'm a student homebirth midwife and so of course will be having my baby at home. I am concerned though. This Thurday there is a meeting to further regulate Licenced Direct-Entry Midwives in Utah in regards to VBAC mamas (which I am). I apprentice with two midwives, one licensed, one not. The one that is licensed was at my first HBAC and I would be sad if she was regulated into not coming to this birth. Everyone, please send good, low-regulation vibes and prayers on Thursday!
Eeks! I'll be thinking good thoughts for the families and midwives in Utah on Thursday!

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#82 of 86 Old 12-02-2008, 04:06 AM

Yikes, I'm in Utah. Haven't they been trying to pass further regulations for a couple of years here? I read something about it a couple years ago when we were getting ready to move here.

#83 of 86 Old 12-02-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post
Yikes, I'm in Utah. Haven't they been trying to pass further regulations for a couple of years here? I read something about it a couple years ago when we were getting ready to move here.
This year they passed a bill that made it illegal for LDEMs to attend breeches and twins and began the regs for VBAC births (the Utah Medical Association wanted those to be a no go with midwives as well). Luckily it is still voluntary licensure so I do have a very experienced unlicensed midwife who could attend me if my baby is breech or if I *gulp* have twins. They are past the legislature bit until 2011 I think, but are working on adding restrictions in rules. From what I understand, it is going to be quite the fight.
#84 of 86 Old 12-02-2008, 03:26 PM

Oh no! I had no idea that was going on in Utah! that is our biggest fear here in Oregon, that twins, vbacs and breeches will be taken away from licensed midwives. that is just ridiculous. What about choice for women? Women have the choice to schedule a cesarean but not the right to hire a midwife for a home breech birth???? Craziness......

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#85 of 86 Old 12-02-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reha View Post
Oh no! I had no idea that was going on in Utah! that is our biggest fear here in Oregon, that twins, vbacs and breeches will be taken away from licensed midwives. that is just ridiculous. What about choice for women? Women have the choice to schedule a cesarean but not the right to hire a midwife for a home breech birth???? Craziness......
I don't know about in Oregon, but here in Utah we only have ONE doc who knows how to do vaginal breeches, most docs are terrified of them and were never taught. On the flip side, many of the midwives here are experienced with vaginal breech births, so what to us is just a variation of normal, to them is high risk and an automatic c-section. Talk about a larger cascade then, as fewer docs and hospitals are "allowing" for VBACs. We are hoping that a woman's right to make decisions for her body and baby will end up getting us through this, but unfortunetely, money seems to play a much bigger factor than rights over one's body or true "healthy moms, healthy babies". Sorry, this has been a long standing bee in my bonnet....
#86 of 86 Old 12-02-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonygoony View Post
This year they passed a bill that made it illegal for LDEMs to attend breeches and twins and began the regs for VBAC births (the Utah Medical Association wanted those to be a no go with midwives as well). Luckily it is still voluntary licensure so I do have a very experienced unlicensed midwife who could attend me if my baby is breech or if I *gulp* have twins. They are past the legislature bit until 2011 I think, but are working on adding restrictions in rules. From what I understand, it is going to be quite the fight.
I know mw attended VBACs and such are illegal here, but there are liscenced midwives who will still attend them. But if something goes wrong, you don't know them and they don't know you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page