Anyone else planning a HB? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am SO freaking excited!! I had a epidural free (but pitocin happy, bleh) hospital birth with DD and I really look forward to a homebirth this time.

Anyone else?!
#2 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 12:37 AM

I am leaning that way. The only hospital covered by our weird insurance is 45 minutes away, in Cambridge (in good traffic). The thought of making that trip while in labor is a bit terrifying to me. I am still meeting with the midwife I saw for well women care, who delivers in that hospital. I *think* she will be supportive if we decide on a home birth and might be able to recommend a homebirth midwife or two to interview:
#3 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 01:28 AM

God willing, we are hoping to. We start interviewing midwives on Saturday.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#4 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 01:41 AM

Yes, definitely! We recently found out that our preferred midwife will be on vacation this summer...that was distressing news! So we'll be looking for someone else. I suppose I should start interviewing soon!

Kristen - doula and birth educator, wife to Ben and mama to Sydney Mu (8/06) and Cal Edward (7/09) :
#5 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 01:58 AM

Me! I've had two hospital births and I want nothing to do with that building again.

I was supposed to start calling midwives last week but I've been hesitating. I'm thinking of doing UC and I'm feeling vague on how much prenatal care I want (if any).

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#6 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 03:41 AM

Me! I was devastated to learn our MW is unavailable for this birth (she's pregnant herself which is wonderful for her--but stinks for me)--she was totally fantastic last time. Oh well. She got us hooked up with her friend who is also great.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#7 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 04:12 AM

Granted this little bean sticks, we will be having an unassisted homebirth.
#8 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 08:41 AM

I want to this time around...DH isn't 100% sure, but, I'm looking into it now....I think it will depend if I can find a midwife that takes our insurance, there is no way we can afford to pay out of pocket.
#9 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 10:13 AM

Second HB for me! Its a new midwife because we moved, which makes me a little sad because I sooo loved my last one, but someone would have to put a gun to my head to make me have another hospital birth!!!

Kelly - wife to the best DH and : Mama to 6 younguns
#10 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 10:43 AM

I'm hoping too. I had a hospital birth last time, and it wasn't the worst experience, but it wasn't great either (rude nurses, doctor pushing for c/s, eventual pitocin and epidural). Have you read "Baby Catcher" and "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth?" They are both great, though there is one story you probably shouldn't read in "Baby Catcher." Maybe you can get a friend to pre-skim and tear it out! I have my first midwife interview this afternoon, and I'm really excited!

Bed sharing, baby wearing, breastfeeding mama of Vonn (dob 12/9/07) and Reuben (dob 7/17/09).
#11 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Definitely another home birth for me, possibly a UC, still reflecting on that one!

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#12 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 12:39 PM

Planning on it:
I need to find a midwife!

However, I planned on it last time, too, but my water broke at 34 weeks, so it was hospital for me.
I am really, really, really hoping that it doesn't go that way again.

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#13 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 12:46 PM

Had my one hospital birth - don't want to do that again! It doesn't help that hospitals are scary to me and have too many harsh smells, noises, etc.

There are a lot of homebirth midwives in my area so I am starting to research... But definitely planning on a homebirth.

, , , , , to DD1 (4.5 years old) and DD2 (7 months) and 2
#14 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 12:51 PM

Our house is torn apart because we are remodeling right now, so depending on when my husband finishes it, we will be at home or at the birth center that is 5 minutes away.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#15 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 01:48 PM

i've had 3 homebirths and i wouldn't consider anything else!!! the last one was an accidental unassisted birth. lol i just may consider a purposeful one this time.

Christie

Vegan, homeschooling mom to my 3 boys and my girl, missing Matthew born still at 34 weeks

#16 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 02:01 PM

Me too!

DS was a birth center turn hospital transfer yet still all natural birth. I hated being at the hospital.. never doing that again (if I can help it!).

I have one of the best midwives in all of the SLC area, so I am super excited that I got a spot with her! DH and I are contemplating moving to OR though, and she is one of the reasons that I don't want to!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#17 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 04:04 PM

I had 2 hospital births with midwives and no drugs
1 hospital birth with pitocin and epidural (HORRIBLE)
1 Birth center birth
1 homebirth!

After my homebirth last time, there is no way I would have a baby anywhere else! It was fantastic
#18 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Me too!

DS was a birth center turn hospital transfer yet still all natural birth. I hated being at the hospital.. never doing that again (if I can help it!).

I have one of the best midwives in all of the SLC area, so I am super excited that I got a spot with her! DH and I are contemplating moving to OR though, and she is one of the reasons that I don't want to!
FWIW...Oregon is an awesome place to have a home birth! I moved from SLC when I was 7 mo pregnant. It was hard to leave my MW but I found a great one here too

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#19 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 04:25 PM

I'm a homebirth midwife, and will of course be birthing this baby at home!!

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#20 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 05:34 PM

I am also planning another homebirth. I have had two hospital births and two home births so far. My babies come so quickly, I would end up having them in the car if I went to the hospital.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#21 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 06:17 PM

Hoping for one, but my situation is complicated. I had a c-section the first time (coerced, scheduled for fetal macrosomia) and HBAC's in Florida require a "physician sign off" My local midwives don't have a supportive backup physician. I am seeing them for prenatal care, then will probably travel three hours away to rent a house to use a midwife that does have a physician that will "sign off". I am waiting to get that all set up, because I was pregnant this past summer, sent in my deposit, got all excited, and then had a miscarriage. So, I am waiting until I hear a heartbeat. Also, another midwife might be available closer by the time I am ready.
#22 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 08:21 PM

we are planning a homebirth. we've birthed everywhere that's a common option (hospital, birth center, and home) and home was our favorite.

plus, i tend to have speedy labors and births. no time for a trip to the hospital.

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#23 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 09:36 PM

Assuming this button sticks...Definately a home birth.

My first was an induction for true pre-eclampsia, pit drip 6hrs labor.
Second also hospital birth 7hours labor.
Third was supposed to be a home birth but he developed some odd and disturbing problems at about 36 weeks, perinatologest ordered an induction at 39.5 weeks. pit drip 2+ hrs of labor and baby came flying out (into the ungloved hands of some shocked general practice Dr they grabbed from the hall) My little one had tied a true (and tight) knot in his cord.

I really want a home-birth this time. And my new husband is very supportive.

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#24 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlewomyn View Post
Hoping for one, but my situation is complicated. I had a c-section the first time (coerced, scheduled for fetal macrosomia) and HBAC's in Florida require a "physician sign off" My local midwives don't have a supportive backup physician. I am seeing them for prenatal care, then will probably travel three hours away to rent a house to use a midwife that does have a physician that will "sign off". I am waiting to get that all set up, because I was pregnant this past summer, sent in my deposit, got all excited, and then had a miscarriage. So, I am waiting until I hear a heartbeat. Also, another midwife might be available closer by the time I am ready.
Wow, this makes me so upset! I'm sorry that you have to deal with stupid midwifery regulations.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#25 of 86 Old 11-14-2008, 12:06 AM

Yep, homebirth here too. My labors have been 8hrs, 6hrs, and 3hrs so I figure I wouldn't make it anywhere else in time anyway There are no birth centers here and my 1st was a hospital birth that was not horrid but certainly medically monitored and they wouldn't let me walk around-grrr.
I wish I was still on the west coast where homebirth was a lot more common! I'm in the midwest now -blech when it comes to birth options.
I'm interviewing the first of 2 midwives tomorrow.

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#26 of 86 Old 11-14-2008, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Me, God willing! Have had 2 homebirths and loved it! HAve my first midwife appointment 18 Dec.
#27 of 86 Old 11-14-2008, 10:41 AM

I was hoping for a uc my last pregnancy. Dh did not like the idea. We ended up with a birth center birth. Dh has said if I decided to UC he won't be in the house when I go in labor. he doesn't know I'm pregnant yet. We'll probably end up doing a home waterbirth.

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#28 of 86 Old 11-14-2008, 11:49 AM

I am really hoping for a homebirth. We're still talking about it and are meeting with her next week. We will have to pay out-of-pocket for it, but with our tax refund, I know we could do it. If we use $1,500 of the tax refund, we would pay $200/month until 36 weeks.

One thing that I'm disappointed about is the MW told me she knows my OB won't back a HB, so I would have to see another OB who is a stupid male with bad bedside manner. I know I wouldn't have to see him but a couple of times, but I loved being with MY sweet OB for my last 2 pregnancies.
#29 of 86 Old 11-14-2008, 01:52 PM

This will be our fourth homebirth (second UC) and I am looking forward to it! I see I am not the only one here with a surprise baby - what is it about us 3rd- and 4th-time mamas and the surprises? We must get lax about certain things, lol.

Kelli, radical unschooling mama to four beautiful homebirthed lovies (ages 14, 9, 5, and 19 months) 
#30 of 86 Old 11-14-2008, 02:16 PM

I'm planning on a homebirth in a home that hasn't even been built yet! My contractor knows he has a new deadline, although he's already assured me it will be done long before then.

I'm so excited - there's a new law in NH that requires insurance to cover homebirth, plus I'll finally have a house in which to give birth. Yay!! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page