Bright Red Spotting after Sex? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-14-2008, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need reassurance and didn't feel I really got it from my doctor today. Hubby and I had sex Wednesday night and I spotted bright red Thursday morning and still am little bits. Its not enough to hit my panties - just when I wipe I get a quarter size bit of red blood. And I have no cramping etc.
I went into the doctor today adn they did another ultrasound and still confirmed the heartbeat. Then basially told me some people do this and I CAN miscarry, or I might not - but there isn't anything I can do about it right now.
Please- someone tell me you had this and things were fine!

Loving Mother to our adoption miracle, Riana :, and our angel baby, Xavier. Trying for baby. Wife to my Hero! BLOG LINK IN PROFILE
#2 of 8 Old 11-14-2008, 08:51 PM

It's totally normal to bleed after sex during pregnancy. What you're describing sounds like mild spotting, not the kind of frank bleeding associated with m/c. Your doctor is right, you could still go on to m/c, but so can any woman at your gestation who hasn't had bleeding after sex, kwim? It would be unrelated to this.

Try not to worry!

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#3 of 8 Old 11-14-2008, 09:32 PM

I was just wondering this too- DH and I held off from sex the other night. Is it safe? Are any positions unsafe? I know when a woman orgasms it can cause contrations to help the swimmers get up quickly, so should I be concerned?

It seems ridiculous to give up orgasms!

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#4 of 8 Old 11-14-2008, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful_maia View Post
It's totally normal to bleed after sex during pregnancy. What you're describing sounds like mild spotting, not the kind of frank bleeding associated with m/c. Your doctor is right, you could still go on to m/c, but so can any woman at your gestation who hasn't had bleeding after sex, kwim? It would be unrelated to this.

Try not to worry!
So - as long as its not hitting the panty liner - then I should be good right? Thanks for responding - Im a mess of nerves. I dont have a lot of trust in my body or its abilities since I have had so many girly issues since my teens!

Loving Mother to our adoption miracle, Riana :, and our angel baby, Xavier. Trying for baby. Wife to my Hero! BLOG LINK IN PROFILE
#5 of 8 Old 11-14-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penstamon View Post
I was just wondering this too- DH and I held off from sex the other night. Is it safe? Are any positions unsafe? I know when a woman orgasms it can cause contrations to help the swimmers get up quickly, so should I be concerned?

It seems ridiculous to give up orgasms!
Unless you have a medical condition which makes you particularly high risk--do it. I don't think anything in particular is unsafe in early pregnancy. Later on it's a comfort issue and so you'll need to make adjustments. Might as well do it now. There will be lots of times in the future it will be the last thing on your mind

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#6 of 8 Old 11-14-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_Mother View Post
So - as long as its not hitting the panty liner - then I should be good right? Thanks for responding - Im a mess of nerves. I dont have a lot of trust in my body or its abilities since I have had so many girly issues since my teens!
Even if it were hitting your panty liner, I wouldn't worry about it if there wasn't a lot and no cramping, and it was only after sex (usually for a couple days). Lots and lots of women have post-coital bleeding in pregnancy, your uterus/cervix has lots of blood flowing to it and the slightest irritation can make it bleed. Doesn't make it any less nerve-wracking though!

And to the pp, there's no reason you can't have sex unless you've been advised for some reason that you're at high-risk. But remember that having sex and/or orgasms can cause some small bleeding and cramping and some mamas think it's not worth the worry for the first few weeks. But it won't increase your risk of m/c or anything! HTH.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#7 of 8 Old 11-15-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful_maia View Post
Even if it were hitting your panty liner, I wouldn't worry about it if there wasn't a lot and no cramping, and it was only after sex (usually for a couple days). Lots and lots of women have post-coital bleeding in pregnancy, your uterus/cervix has lots of blood flowing to it and the slightest irritation can make it bleed. Doesn't make it any less nerve-wracking though!

And to the pp, there's no reason you can't have sex unless you've been advised for some reason that you're at high-risk. But remember that having sex and/or orgasms can cause some small bleeding and cramping and some mamas think it's not worth the worry for the first few weeks. But it won't increase your risk of m/c or anything! HTH.
ITA! That's why we will probably avoid for the first few weeks. I'm such a worry wart anyway.
#8 of 8 Old 11-15-2008, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Well thanks so much for the responses ladies! The bleeding stopped last night and now Im just passing the old brown blood. I did however tell hubby that because of the freak out that caused me - I would prefer to wait until we are 8 or 9 weeks before trying it again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page