pregnant after a loss? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 114 Old 01-12-2009, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I had my first complete mw visit today and I fessed up about renting the doppler. The mw I saw gave me "the look" and told me she'd rather have me come in every week for a heartbeat check than to worry myself sick at home alone. She said the chances of me not finding the heartbeat and panicking for no reason were pretty high and she'd rather see me so we can keep talking about my worries... In fact she scheduled me for another visit in two weeks just to listen to the hb. Hooray. I don't know if I'll take her advice, but I think it's pretty wise. So far things are looking good here: I've had great hcg's, a lovely 8 week u/s, and got to hear the hb last week and today. She tried to convince me that it was time to relax and stop worrying. Ugh. Easier said than done... Sending serenity and optimism to all...

mama to magical 6 yr old and a full moon Aug baby:
#62 of 114 Old 01-17-2009, 11:02 AM

Hello all.

Just wanting to post this morning. I wish I could feel my fundus already and feel the baby move. I'm about 11 weeks along. I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks that measured the baby at 5 weeks, so I could be a week behind. My cycles weren't back to normal when I got pregnant so I'm just not sure.

I had another ultrasound at 8 weeks and they didn't take any measurements, just a quick look to see the hb.

I have another appt this Tuesday and I just am about to come out of my skin. I'm not feeling all of the symptoms and I'm just doing my usual worry. I keep telling myself things are fine. Every now and then I'll think I feel movement but when I start to concentrate on it I can't tell for sure. UGH!!!

Tuesday, get here soon! My doc offered me every two week appts for reassurance and I passed on it. I also keep telling myself I can do this - and even if something happens there's nothing I can do about it so to just enjoy the pregnancy for what it is. We've seen a hb so chances are much better. But, then again, what caused my newborns death was pretty rare so I don't put much stock in statistics anymore.

Just wanting to vent a little, I guess. I'm going to try and stay busy this weekend and take my mind off of it. I've got a really busy Monday at work and then the appt first thing Tuesday morning! Yeah!

I went yesterday and almost bought a doppler. With my first pregnancy we rented one and it was nice to have around. With my second pregnancy I skipped it and did fine without it. But, this time things are different. If I don't start feeling movement in the next couple of weeks I think for piece of mind I just might go get one.

I'm glad you ladies are here and understand the anxiety. I'll come post after my appt on Tuesday.
#63 of 114 Old 01-17-2009, 03:19 PM
SMR

Hi Cheshire.. I was just lurking a bit here on the august board.. we have teh similar due date thing going on.. I'm due the SAME day that Dresden was due.. I'm totally buying a doppler this time - but I'm going to wait until my 1st appt... I was thinking maybe the doc would just let me borrow one or something! hehe Anyway, I don't have my first appt until I'm 10.5 weeks!! Does that seem strange for someone just having a full term loss 3.5 months before a pregnancy?? At first I was okay with it, figuring that this early on, there isn't anything to be done anyway.. I mean, if the babies gonna make it, they're gonna make it.. but now I'm feeling like maybe I should be seen sooner!? I'm kind of freaking out about missed misscarriages and stuff.. I think I'd be 'okay' if the baby died.. but I WANT TO KNOW about it ASAP, you know?! Ah, anyway.. good luck to all you August mommas.. I actually will probably have this baby in August - planned early c-section.. so I may be lurking here on and off!

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
#64 of 114 Old 01-17-2009, 10:54 PM

Hi Shannon,
How are you feeling with your pregnancy? If you want an earlier appt call your doc and let them know you would like a little extra attention for a while. I bet they'd be very accommodating (and if not maybe interview a few others???). When my doc offered appts every two weeks (she said just to let them know what I wanted) I thought four weeks would be good. And, it has been - I hate going to the doc. But, like you know, until you can feel movement it is hard to wait.

Good news - this afternoon I'm pretty sure I felt two strong kicks so I'm hoping the baby is big enough now that feeling movement will be more regular.

Please keep posting here. It's nice to keep up with everyone.
#65 of 114 Old 01-18-2009, 12:23 AM

Shannon, you crasher! Glad you're hanging around here too. I think you should ask to be seen earlier if you think it would be helpful.

Cheshire, I'm glad you think you've felt a kick! How exciting.

I wish I could remember when I started feeling movement with my DD. I really have been freaking out the past couple of days - not sure that things are progressing. Probably just my fear getting the best of me since my last loss was probably right around this time. But my uterus is starting to feel heavy again and lower ab feels full. Pretty sure I can feel my fundus, but who knows? There's no way I'd actually feel movement at 8 weeks. My next u/s is 1/26 - a whole 8 days away. Argh!!!!

I'm also really irritated that my progesterone level didn't get communicated to my RE this week. I called on Friday, and they were supposed to refax it, and then the fax didn't actually have the result on it. I really count on knowing that number. If it went down suddenly, I'd want to have a u/s to check on things. I don't want to supplement a failed pregnancy with progesterone. You'd think these folks would be more on top of it - the lab here and the doc there. I'm not sure who to be frustrated with.

Good thing - I feel gross.

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#66 of 114 Old 01-18-2009, 06:31 PM

do those of you who are on progesterone know if it can prevent your body from recognizing a miscarriage?

my symptoms are GONE. all of them vanished a few days ago. last pregnancy they went away at 8w3d, and I'm 8w4d now. With that one, I wasn't on progesterone and started spotting around 9w.

DH asked me today out of the blue if I thought I was still pregnant, and I told him I didn't think so. I'm really upset that I missed the u/s on the 15th because of the neuro appointment, even though the neuro appt was more important in the grand scheme of things. The neuro said that if I do have a blood clotting or autoimmune disorder, it can increase my risk for miscarriage. I'm not bleeding or cramping, but I wonder if it's because of the progesterone. I'm going to see the OB on Thursday and I hope she's able to either a) hear the heartbeat (even though I'll only be 9w1d - very early), or send me asap for an u/s. I've got an u/s scheduled for the 29th to make up the one on the 15th, but I'm hoping the doc can pull some strings and get me in sooner.
#67 of 114 Old 01-18-2009, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

I think progesterone can delay a m/c But I hope that is not the case with you. Does your OB have an in-office u/s machine? It seems like most clinics do these days so if they can't find the h/b on the doppler this week hopefully they can wheel the little u/s and do a quick scan for you. If not, with your history, and a lack of symptoms I would hope they would find a way to get you in for an earlier u/s.

:
#68 of 114 Old 01-18-2009, 10:12 PM

TexasPeach, I sure hope and pray that you're still pregnant. My RE's nurse said not to pay too much attention to symptoms or a lack thereof. Are you supplementing with progesterone? I know how hard it is not to get freaked out by symptoms or not having symptoms. Keep us posted!!!!!!

DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#69 of 114 Old 01-19-2009, 01:40 AM

I think they have an u/s machine on floor. I'm not sure if there is an imaging lab they use on the same floor (there is a blood lab on the same floor they use for all their b/w) or if they have an in office u/s. In any case, there is one there somewhere and I'm sure that if the ob says I need one I'll have one right then. I'm just hoping she sees my concern and sends me for one.

I am supplementing with progesterone. I'm worried about it delaying the natural course of things, which is kind of silly I guess, but last time my symptoms disappeared and then I began to have some spotting which sent me to the mw. This is almost exactly how things went last time - symptoms disappeared over night. The prog still makes me feel hot and nauseous, but the all day sickness, breast pain and peeing all time are completely gone just like last time. It's just weird because I had symptoms for weeks, and then they just vanished.

It would just figure if this is a m/c. we've had really bad luck this year. and we just told our parents what was going on because the neurology stuff - I had to get a more complete history from my parents (dad had a brain tumor and blood clots, it could be related to what's going on). I'm sure my mother has told half the damned planet already.
#70 of 114 Old 01-21-2009, 10:07 AM

Texaspeach, any news on your new appt. You've been in my thoughts.

How is everyone else doing?

I had my appt yesterday and things are good. HB was 150 and the doc then took us into the u/s to take a look. I'm just 12 weeks and the baby was really active. The doc said she couldn't see any boy parts but it is so early and their machine is not as nice as the perinatologist. I don't have a preference on girl or boy - I just want this one home safe and sound, yk?

I have an appt with the peri next week to take a look at the placenta and umbilical cord. We want to see how it has formed, any oddities as before, etc. I'm looking forward to that appt. I'm praying that the placenta implanted high, high, high in my uterus!!!
#71 of 114 Old 01-21-2009, 06:27 PM

Cheshire, yay for a good appointment!

TexasPeach, thinking of you! What's going on?????

Me, just biting my nails until my u/s on Monday. Hoping and praying the babies are ok.

#72 of 114 Old 01-21-2009, 06:40 PM

I lost a twin pregnancy in January of this year. It's been a bumpy road to this point, but I lost a lot of my fears and stress when I saw the small child on an ultrasound on Tuesday. Everything is where it should be!
#73 of 114 Old 01-22-2009, 12:04 AM

nothing really going on, symptoms still MIA but no spotting. have an OB appointment tomorrow. I had the brain thing done today, but won't get the results until the 12th. DH has freaking pneumonia. He was supposed to have a job interview Friday (because he was laid off about two weeks ago) and now has to try to reschedule... ugh. will this : ever end? I'm really hoping I don't get what he has.

My fingers are crossed the OB sends me for an U/S I may just start bawling right there in office if she refuses, I don't think I can handle not knowing for another month. Honestly though, I am a bit afraid. I have to go to this appointment alone because DH is so sick. My MIL went with me the last time, but she is on a cruise this week. Am I going to be able to drive home if I get devastating news? I think I will, I live not 5 minutes away. but still.. I wish dh were going with.

Cheshire, I'm so glad you saw/heard the heartbeat : here's hoping for a reassuring peri appt next week

labortrials, I hope the time passes quickly for you

welcome DallasAnn
#74 of 114 Old 01-22-2009, 12:22 AM

TexasPeach, I hope you're able to get the info/care that you need. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll find the HB with the doppler. Otherwise, I think you should feel like you can ask for the u/s referral. Please let us know how it goes for you tomorrow. Do you have a girlfriend who could go with you? I wouldn't want to go alone either. I really think things are going to be ok for you and the baby though.

Me, I posted in the multiples area complaining about how this seems to be an atypical twin pregnancy. I mean, there are women in our DDC who say they look 4 months pregnant at 8 weeks and who are feeling movement at 9 weeks and are puking 24-7. Anyway, several moms there posted and made me feel a whole whole lot better.

#75 of 114 Old 01-22-2009, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
TexasPeach, my OB used to "require" an ultrasound with practically every visit, so I'd be surprised if you didn't get one. But then, in retrospect, I realized that my OB also suffered from litigation-phobia and wanted to order and document every possible test and intervention.

I'm really scared to go in for my first MW appt next week. DH is thrilled at the prospect of the Doppler, and I'm dreading them not finding a hb. Once you've experienced that before, and the sinking feeling that follows it, it's hard not to imagine it happening again. :

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#76 of 114 Old 01-22-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR View Post
I don't have my first appt until I'm 10.5 weeks!! Does that seem strange for someone just having a full term loss 3.5 months before a pregnancy??
Hey Shannon -- That is a bit late. I had a loss at 22 weeks, and I'm now seen every two weeks, with ultrasounds beginning before 6 weeks. If you're uncomfortable, I'd insist on an earlier visit.

Amanda, Wife to James and Mom to Bub (11/00), Gracie (5/02), Brystol (7/09), Elleigh (3/11) and Piper (10/11).  angel1.gif  Missing our angels: Bean (12/05@6w) Ainsley (10/06@10w) Zachary (4/07@22w) Sweet Pea (8/07@9w) Twin B (12/08@8w) and Lil Bit (8/10@8w).

winner.jpgadoptionheart-1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifselectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpg

#77 of 114 Old 01-22-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
I think they have an u/s machine on floor. I'm not sure if there is an imaging lab they use on the same floor (there is a blood lab on the same floor they use for all their b/w) or if they have an in office u/s. In any case, there is one there somewhere and I'm sure that if the ob says I need one I'll have one right then. I'm just hoping she sees my concern and sends me for one.

I am supplementing with progesterone. I'm worried about it delaying the natural course of things, which is kind of silly I guess, but last time my symptoms disappeared and then I began to have some spotting which sent me to the mw. This is almost exactly how things went last time - symptoms disappeared over night. The prog still makes me feel hot and nauseous, but the all day sickness, breast pain and peeing all time are completely gone just like last time. It's just weird because I had symptoms for weeks, and then they just vanished.

It would just figure if this is a m/c. we've had really bad luck this year. and we just told our parents what was going on because the neurology stuff - I had to get a more complete history from my parents (dad had a brain tumor and blood clots, it could be related to what's going on). I'm sure my mother has told half the damned planet already.
Hey there -- I just wanted to address a few questions you asked.

(1) In most pregnancies, HCg peaks and begins dwindling around 8 weeks, so it's normal for symptoms to follow suit. Symptoms are comforting from time to time, but as was said before, they're not accurate indicators of a healthy pregnancy. Don't be discouraged by their coming and going. It doesn't necessarily mean something bad is lurking on the horizon.

(2) It is possible that progesterone supplements could delay a miscarriage, but unless you're taking extraordinarily high doses, they don't necessarily always cause a delay. I was taking 200mg Prometrium and lost at 8.5 weeks without delay. Another time, I was taking 300mg Prometrium plus a 50 mg compunded suppository (dosed three times a day) and still miscarried through. The miscarriage didn't complete until I stopped taking the progesterone, but I did spot/bleed heavily for days before the loss was confirmed.

(3) Since my latest loss, my MFM recommended testing for clotting disorders. I was tested for Factor V Leiden and a whole bunch of other things, but two different panels (one pre-pregnancy, one while pregnant) have come back clean, so I'm not scheduled to take Heparin during this pregnancy. My MFM does have me taking a baby aspirin as a precaution, though, and my progesterone levels have never, ever been better. (I usually struggle to get to 14-15 on high levels of supplements, but I'm taking low doses of supplements this pregnancy and have ranged between 21-46.) Do you think your OB would support something like that until you know for sure whether you have a clotting disorder?

(4) Since my last loss, an endocrinologist also determined my thyroid antibodies were elevated. He told me that might have caused all my first trimester losses (though there's no way to know for sure). Have you had your thyroid tested? It's commonly tested in pregnancy, though often not until that 12 week appt.

Thinking of you today as you have your appointment, and praying for good news...

Amanda, Wife to James and Mom to Bub (11/00), Gracie (5/02), Brystol (7/09), Elleigh (3/11) and Piper (10/11).  angel1.gif  Missing our angels: Bean (12/05@6w) Ainsley (10/06@10w) Zachary (4/07@22w) Sweet Pea (8/07@9w) Twin B (12/08@8w) and Lil Bit (8/10@8w).

winner.jpgadoptionheart-1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifselectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpg

#78 of 114 Old 01-22-2009, 01:02 PM

I wanted to update you all on my weekend -- mostly because it completely freaked me out, but also because I was certain everything was over when, miraculously, it was not. I hope my experience might encourage someone even just a little bit. I copied my blog post from Saturday and posted here:

On and off for the last couple of weeks, I've struggled with pretty constant spotting. It's primarily been the brownish-colored spotting that's often attributed to residual implantation bleeding, so there wasn't a great deal of concern on the part of my care team. Additionally, I'd had ultrasounds while the spotting was ongoing, and since the baby was always growing well and seemed stable, and since there were often signs of blood around the deteriorating ectopic twin, my doctors felt that the spotting was normal and not worrisome.

When the spotting began, my OB/GYN suggested doubling my progesterone supplement as a precaution, and my MFM prescribed an antibiotic to ward off bacterial infection. Despite these additions, the spotting continued and I became used to it. We just decided I was a "spotter," as some women are.

On Tuesday, when I hit ten weeks gestation, my OB's nurse instructed me on the plan to begin weaning me off of the progesterone supplements. Hormone supplements have to be reduced slowly, so I was told, beginning Tuesday, to move from two tablets per day to one tablet per day for three days. On Friday, I wasn't to take anything. Saturday, take one a day for three more days, skip, take it for two days, skip, and so on. I began following the instructions with minimal stress and noticed as my supplements decreased, so did my spotting.

On Thursday, I went to the lab for my last blood draw to monitor my progesterone levels. I stopped at a bakery on the way to bring cookies to the women who've taken such good care of me. They celebrated the milestone of my last test with me and seemed excited that I'd made it as far as I had. One woman even shouted, "Thank you, Jesus!" there in the lab with other clients waiting to be drawn. On Thursday evening and all day on Friday, I experienced no spotting at all. It felt like things were continuing to come together for me -- that I was "normal" after all!

I still had no spotting this morning, and this afternoon at Bub's basketball game, I jokingly mentioned to James that because of the lack of the spotting, something must certainly be wrong. Again, I was absolutely kidding, but I'd grown so accustomed to what would be abnormal in another woman's pregnancy being acceptable in my own.

After the game, we spent some time running a few errands and went to dinner at Gattitown. We thought it'd be fun to take the kids to a pizza buffet and let them go willy-nilly on the video games. We ate our crummy, overpriced pizza and watched a little Kung Fu Panda in the Theatre Room. After we finished our dinner, we stood to head to the arcade and a really good day suddenly went bad.

When I stood, I knew I was passing a large clot. Everything felt very similar to my experience losing Ainsley -- when I passed clot after clot and pools of blood until I lost consciousness and was told I was close to not making it through. There we were in a child wonderland far from my doctor and chosen hospital and I knew my uterus was about to explode.

As I was rushing to the bathroom, and I thought I made it clear to James that something was very wrong. I guess I didn't. By the time I made it 40 feet from the Theatre Room into the bathroom, I'd passed two large clots and was absolutely covered in blood.

I stood there shaking in the bathroom stall, wondering if I should scream for James to call an ambulance, or if I was okay to make it to the hospital in our car. I decided against an ambulance. The clots weren't coming as quickly as they had with Ainsley, so I thought I could make it in the car a few miles. I stepped out of the bathroom, obviously in distress, clothes covered in blood, to find James lounging on a bench with the kids nowhere to be found.

James immediately recognized my distress, jumped up, and began rounding up the the children. I was afraid to move, afraid to leave a pool of blood where I stood, afraid to be noticed, afraid to get worse. Gracie accidentally locked herself in a bathroom stall, Bub was full of questions, the manager noticed me and thought all the blood meant a certain lawsuit, and James ran to the parking lot to get the car, leaving us all behind. I huddled the children out the door to find James actually running through the lot, having forgotten that we'd parked right in the front.

Because we were east of my Mom's Home Depot heading west to the hospital, we called her to keep the kids. At the hospital, they took me into Triage right away, and when my pulse rate went from 100 resting to 140 standing, they rushed me back to a room to push IV fluids. They drew a large vial of blood and had me wait two hours for the sonographer. I noticed as I waited that the bleeding didn't continue, but I dismissed it, sure the plum-sized clots meant I'd already miscarried.

When the sonographer arrived, I updated her on the whole heterotopic thing and asked her to not only check my uterus, but also that crazy left ovary. She began her exam, and right away, we noticed my uterus wasn't as empty as we convinced ourselves it would be. Still, all we saw at that moment was a shadow and a spine, so though there was a body, there surely couldn't be a heartbeat... could there?

She rolled around, checking out the environment, and returned to my uterus. Not only was there a baby there in my uterus, there was a baby with a heartbeat. There was a baby with a heartbeat dancing around so vigorously it was nearly doing the Cabbage Patch. A baby who at 10 weeks 4 days measured in at 11 weeks. My uterus looked fine with no evidence of fluid. My cervix was long and closed with no fluid inside.

The clotting is officially unexplainable, but there is no evidence of it coming from my uterus. I have theories about the release of the blood from the ectopic being delayed by my high levels of supplementation, but really, it could have come from any old thing. My pulse rate regulated after the IV fluids, and I was sent home to follow-up with the doctor on Monday. Since arriving home, the bleeding has begun again, but it's lighter and likely related to the aggressive exam today. I've not passed any more clots, and I have no pain or cramping or any other sign often associated with miscarriage. On this side of today, I really feel very little concern.

I'm taking it easy tomorrow, planning a day at home on my left side. Unless my symptoms change significantly, I'll connect with my OB/GYN on Monday for a repeat ultrasound. Fortunately, mercifully, miraculously, our big, exciting day was all for naught -- I'm still pregnant and my baby is still growing. Though we may never be able to go back to Gattitown again, I can't thank God enough.

Update: We ran into my OB on Sunday morning, so he didn't want to see me in the office on Monday. I've really had no more spotting or bleeding to speak of, and have successfully made it through another supplement skip day. I still don't know what happened on Saturday, and don't know if I ever will. I see my OB on Wednesday for a check-up and u/s.

#79 of 114 Old 01-22-2009, 02:50 PM

Wow that is so scary. I am glad that everything looks alright and hope the rest of your pregnancy is normal, healthy, and medicaly boring.

Unschooling Mommy of 3: Lilith (14), Panda (6), and Fox (4)
#80 of 114 Old 01-22-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycandigirl View Post
Wow that is so scary. I am glad that everything looks alright and hope the rest of your pregnancy is normal, healthy, and medicaly boring.
Medically boring would be AWESOME.

#81 of 114 Old 01-22-2009, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Mama, how scary and stressful! There's a law out there, maybe it's Murphy's, dictating that these things have to happen in a public place. I'm so glad that you and your little guy/girl are OK. Please update us on what your OB tells you. That's just downright bizarre . . .

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#82 of 114 Old 01-22-2009, 08:23 PM

famille_huggins that's enough excitement to last a life time.
#83 of 114 Old 01-22-2009, 08:25 PM

doing a drive by to update:

:

had an u/s today and we have a : It was only 136 which seems low to me, but the OB was unconcerned.

here's a picture of the u/s

famille_huggins, I really appreciate all the info
#84 of 114 Old 01-23-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
doing a drive by to update:

:

had an u/s today and we have a : It was only 136 which seems low to me, but the OB was unconcerned.

here's a picture of the u/s

famille_huggins, I really appreciate all the info
You're welcome for the info, and congrats on such a beautiful baby and good u/s! I hope you feel better about things...

#85 of 114 Old 01-23-2009, 01:28 PM

Hi there,

Thought I'd check in here, too...I'm just over 12 weeks pg with baby #2, and even though we have a beautiful 2 year old now, I'm still SO nervous and stressed and worried all the time because my first pg ended with a 'missed' miscarriage at 12 weeks and it was the hardest thing I've ever gone through (and really, am still going through, emotionally). I guess once you experience a loss, you never really regain that innocence...

Anyway, I am trying to stay positive and focused on this little cashew (that's what the nurse said it looked like at my first u/s). Sometimes it's hard (I overanalyze every change in my body as if it's surely a sign of something bad, and then I have to consciously tell myself to stop doing that), but I know that I want to have a heart full of nothing but love and good feelings for this little one.

Glad to meet you all, and I wish you happy, healthy and uneventful pregnancies and births!
#86 of 114 Old 01-23-2009, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

texaspeach, glad your u/s went well!

and welcome Christina!

I don't think I ever updated about my last appt with the RE, but everything is looking good. The collection of fluid/blood that was under the placenta at the previous appt was completely gone, so everything looked fine this time and measuring right on, etc. My RE felt comfortable referring me back to an OB so today I called and set up the appts for that. At first I almost started crying on the phone because they said they couldn't see me until the END of Feb! But I told them that my RE said I needed to be seen by 12weeks (which is true, he said if they couldn't do it I should come back and see him instead) so the woman on the phone was SO sweet, she is coming in on her day off next week so I can get my paperwork appt all straightened out and then I have my first appt. with the OB on Feb3rd and I'll be right at 12 weeks then.
#87 of 114 Old 01-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Banned

chiming in to this thread.

I've had three pregnancy losses. One ectopic and two miscarriages. The first two, I started to bleed within days of finding out I was pregnant. But the last one, that happened in May of last year, totally fooled me. It was a blighted ovum that never developed past 5 weeks gestation. They found out at my 8 week checkup/sonogram (they do a lot of sonograms on me in early pregnancy because of my previous ectopic). I really had no warning, no bleeding, nothing. I was totally blindsided. Even my hcg levels were normal.

So this pregnancy I am super paranoid. What if the baby dies and I don't know about it? I have been vomiting a lot as is common for me in the healthy pregnancies I had (when I had the losses I was not sick)...and then recently I had a few days where I wasn't particularly queasy and didn't throw up at all. I was starting to get all paranoid, even though I'm 10 weeks, even though the heartbeat was clear and strong at 8 weeks, even though I know I have a less than 5% chance of miscarriage at this point. And then I threw up this morning

I hate how every little thing makes you worry, you know? I'll be so relieved when I can feel those reassuring kicks every day.
#88 of 114 Old 01-23-2009, 06:17 PM

Talula Fairie - I'm in the same boat with a past blighted ovum. We didn't find out until the day of my first u/s at 12 wks that there was no baby in there. We had no reason to think there was anything wrong until the very morning of that ultrasound when I started brown spotting. So I'm with you, I don't think I'll feel truly comforted until I can feel the baby myself, even though we've seen the hb @ 9 1/2 wks. *hugs*

to Dale, : to Ronan (2-22-06) and Nessa (8-6-09), Monkey to 4 :, and geek to everyone else.
12/07 & 7/08
#89 of 114 Old 02-01-2009, 08:04 PM

hey gals:

this has been such a quiet thread lately that I thought I'd give us a bump. How's everyone doing? I guess we should be on the cusp of feeling pretty good these days. I'm 13 weeks as of yesterday. Phew.

We told ds this week by taking him to the mw and having him hear the hb with us. What a thrill! He has been adorable and hilarious about the new babe -- but also suddenly super clingy. When we asked him if wanted a boy or a girl he said, "Boy or girl is okay. I just don't want the baby to have a mustache." Man, he is a quirky one.

We've also leaked the news out to family, friends, colleagues... you name it! It was so fun to tell folks. Still, I was surprised at the backlash anxiety that letting the news out gave me. Whereas I had been feeling pretty groovy before we let out the news, I was suddenly a nervous wreck again after we broke the silence.

Nice to have the doppler around in times like that. I listen to babe for about 2 seconds and then feel great relief.

I am still holding out for week 14 for some arbitrary reason. I wonder if I'll say that every week. "Feeling great; still holding out for the next week, though!"

sending good thoughts your way!

mama to magical 6 yr old and a full moon Aug baby:
#90 of 114 Old 02-02-2009, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the bump -- I can never find this thread! I'm also doing well. I'll be at 13 weeks tomorrow and have been trucking along nicely. That surprises me to no end! My sonogram last week showed good results on my nuchal translucency test, and early indicators show this baby is a girl! (It's too early for us to be absolutely certain, but still, it's fun to guess.) I see my perinatologist next week for another check-up and scan, and will discuss beginning 17P injections at 16 weeks. Hope everyone is well! Updates?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page