* ~ Weekly Chat Thread Dec 26-Jan 2 ~ * - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 12-26-2008, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope everyone had a good holiday! How is everyone feeling this week? I'm still feeling pretty good, only occasional nausea with a side of constant fatigue. I'm looking forward to hitting the 6 week mark in a few days Has anyone had a MW/OB appt yet? How did it go? I'm going in early Jan. I'm still really excited to be preg again :

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#2 of 58 Old 12-26-2008, 06:26 PM

I've only had the initial appointment/confirmation/beta at 15 DPO last week, and I had another beta on weds. I was hoping to get the results today, but the office is closed.

Nausea in the morning is really starting now. I'm 5 and 2 today. If I go too long with out eating, I feel sick. It's not bad yet.

I'm considering telling my BFF I'm pg when I see her later today. I'm a bit nervous about how she is going to react to me using an OB, because my opinion of midwives heavily influenced her to birth in a free standing birth center. She'll be supportive no matter what, but I know she's going to remind me of the saying 'buy the hospital ticket, get the hospital ride.'

Everyone that shared the news yesterday, I hope it went well and for those of us who are still keeping a secret, I hope it wasn't too hard
#3 of 58 Old 12-26-2008, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I promised my husband we could wait until 12 weeks to make announcements, and I have been leaking like a sieve. At 6w 2d, I have informed both my sisters, and all my LJ friends who are moms, and somehow it got around to my ex, who asked me about it privately at a party yesterday - he's a good guy and he's thrilled for us, and he won't spread it further, but I can't figure out how it got to him in the first place! Except, of course, that when you tell three or four dozen people a piece of news, you should expect three or four more dozen people to find out right away.

So yeah, we're having the worst-kept secret in history.

I feel fine. I have to pee a lot, and I get tired easy. I haven't had nausea, but if I keep stuffing myself with leftover Christmas cookies, I'm sure I will.

I have my first doctor's appointment on the 14th, right after I take the audit section of the CPA exam. I'll be exactly nine weeks. I'm hoping to see a heartbeat and confirm that I'm having only one baby. I found out I was pregnant so much earlier this time than last time (with my son, I didn't get a BFP until 6 weeks), that I'm worried it's twins.
#4 of 58 Old 12-26-2008, 07:11 PM

I'm doing good. I am 8w5d today, and the nausea seems to have peaked and is leveling off. It is worse when I don't eat, especially if I don't eat enough protein.

I had my first OB appointment a week ago and got to see the little blob and its little heartbeat

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#5 of 58 Old 12-26-2008, 07:46 PM

I'm feeling pretty good so far, though super tired. So glad #1 still naps well and I get my daily snooze, too! We were not going to tell people yet really - can't tell my mom cuz she can't keep a secret at all. I told my brother and SIL yesterday. This will be grandbaby #22 on my side, I think, so everyone is always happy to add another little one to the mix! We had a m/c before #1 so I'm trying to resist telling too many people, except people who will pray for us!

Really liking my citrus these days...

Merry Christmas everyone! Hope it was great and you're enjoying your holidays!

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#6 of 58 Old 12-26-2008, 09:44 PM

Hi Mamas,
I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. Ours was good, except for the fact that the turkey roasting smell made me sick sick sick, and I had to be in the kitchen bc I was making half the meal for 12 people. :-) We weren't going to tell anyone yet, but our 2 1/2 DD told everyone for us at dinner. DH started laughing his tushie off when she said, "Mommy has a baby in her tummy." The best part was when I got to put my feet up after dinner and RELAX while everyone else cleaned up.
Good news... last week I saw the OB and saw the heartbeat. :-) Now I'm 7 w 3 d, and the nausea and vomiting are getting bad.... I'm ready for it to peak and level off. (thorn, I hope mine levels off at 8 w like yours....)
Hope you have a great week!
~maddymama
oh, and texaspeach, go with your gut and use an ob if it's the right decision for you. Don't worry what anyone says. I used to think I would use a mw, but was living in a town with a horrible mw when preg with #1 and loved my OB care. He used minimal medical intervention with me and I was really happy. I received much better care than I would have otherwise. Just let the OB know your preferences, and know that you can always say no to something they suggest, KWIM?
#7 of 58 Old 12-26-2008, 10:31 PM

--
#8 of 58 Old 12-26-2008, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

TX, good luck telling your BFF, I hope she doesn't give you too much trouble. There are certainly good hospital experiences, I had one with DS1.

Meepy, I'm bad at keeping that kind of secret too. I told my mom and siter pretty much right away even though I told DH I wouldn't. It was just so exciting and they'd know if I were hiding something from them.

Heggie, ugh, heartburn is the worst. I had it with DS1 and started popping tums like they were candy then ended up with a kidney stone from all the extra calcium So beware of too many tums!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#9 of 58 Old 12-27-2008, 01:03 AM

I'm tired. I suspect that my last minute holiday stress has simply caught up with me.
I am interviewing a midwife on Tuesday (12/30). I will likely go with her, as my other top contender is also due next summer and will be taking a few months off.

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
#10 of 58 Old 12-27-2008, 11:35 AM

--
#11 of 58 Old 12-27-2008, 12:19 PM

I feel awful (whine, whine). I never throw up (I just don't) but I feel horrible. If I could only eat continuously, but without the food actually going to my tummy . . .

I'm 7 +1 and I WISH I could expect to level off next week, but I just don't.

DH is being great about taking care of the kids. He's mostly off work right now, which isn't great financially but is great otherwise.

I'm going to have a phone consult w/my mw next week - she is newly in independent practice so I have to find out what her limitations are, etc.

I think my biggest anxiety right now (other than just getting through the day) is that I'm a doula and I have two clients in January plus one I'm on back-up oncall for right now through the end of next week. I have no idea how I am going to cope with doing labor support feeling like this! Yikes!

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#12 of 58 Old 12-27-2008, 01:29 PM

Well, I am a little freaked out this morning. I woke up in the middle of the night last night to pee and stepped on the dog and then fell over hard onto a laundry basket. The side of it went hard into my belly. I have a tiny pain there this morning, but nothing else feels off. Do you ladies think it is okay? Has this happened to anyone else?

As for everything else-I am just emotional but dh is handling it great. He acts like it is cute or funny and tolerates me. It is nice being pregnant sometimes I am also naueous, but not bad at all. My sense of smell was so strong yesterday-I forgot how strong it gets when I am pregnant. It is not very pleasant. Esp since ds just had a poo-poo accident in his footsie pajamas (the rewards of being a mother )

Also, I decided that I am going to take a childbirth educator training while I am pregnant and then do lactation training after that. I am really excited about it. I am already a doula and everything I do for a living has to do with babies, so I would love to slip this in as well. I really want to become a midwife someday, it would just be too much now with two little ones. By doing more doula work and teaching childbirth classes I will be much more prepared by the time I am ready to do my midwife training.

How many people here are doing a class this pregnancy? It seems like maybe people will be skipping it due to the economy this year, but I was not sure.

Have a great week, mamas!
#13 of 58 Old 12-27-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Sun View Post
Well, I am a little freaked out this morning. I woke up in the middle of the night last night to pee and stepped on the dog and then fell over hard onto a laundry basket. The side of it went hard into my belly. I have a tiny pain there this morning, but nothing else feels off. Do you ladies think it is okay? Has this happened to anyone else?
I wouldn't worry at all. your uterus is still under your pubic bone at this point - babe is well protected

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#14 of 58 Old 12-27-2008, 05:38 PM

That is good to know about the pubic bone. My daughter still think that my stomach is the funnest thing to sit, roll, and bounce on (although it is getting alot better)

I have days of really bad nausea and and then days when i feel fine. If I gage it by my last pregnancy I will start getting really sick the second week of january...

Bec, Married eternally to Dan for ten years. Parents to A (8/17/06) O (12/30/09) one love lost (2/07/09) and my little twin angels (9/24/11, 10/11/11)

#15 of 58 Old 12-27-2008, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
I wouldn't worry at all. your uterus is still under your pubic bone at this point - babe is well protected
Yeah and your uterus is about the size of an orange while your baby is the size of a coffee bean so there is a lot of protection. But that sure can be scary!

mamabeakley, I doula'd through my last preg and had one client at about 12 weeks and another at 31 weeks. I was worried about being too tired for the first client but I made it through and it was a long labor. The nausea seemed to go away for the labor because I was so excited for her (VBAC mama). The 31 week client kicked my butt! It was a pitt induction that lasted 27 hours. I'd never take another client in the 3rd trimester again. I sure learned my lesson!

#16 of 58 Old 12-27-2008, 07:14 PM

I am definitely buckled up on the emotional pregnancy roller coaster here.

On Tuesday we went for an u/s and saw a beautiful tiny bean with all the right parts and a miraculous beating heart. I also found out that I'm a little further along than I calculated (phew!) so that makes 8 and 4. :

On Friday I was feeling crampy and found a teeny glob of clear mucous on my panties. I was sure it was the first sign of the end.

Today I'm back to feeling cautiously good and confident. I put the sonogram pictures up on my fridge to remind me to celebrate this life and welcome its coming into our lives.

Still, I go back and forth in wild vacillation and it's tiresome to have so much anxiety. :

I definitely am really crampy though. Nothing painful, just achy. I bought some herbal tinctures that are supposed to help. I'm wondering if my uterus is really stretching that much. everyday. or what.

Here's to a great happy growing week for all of us!! Oh how I long for the end of the first trimester.

mama to magical 6 yr old and a full moon Aug baby:
#17 of 58 Old 12-27-2008, 07:17 PM

I'm feeling terrible and blah at 8 wks. Looking forward to not feeling disgusting and having energy to be with my children. I've had 2 appts already --I'm in england this pregnancy and have the option of a free homebirth with the NHS but I would have to have any of 1/16 midwives in labor AND you are risked out at 41 wks OR use a private midwife and pay out of pocket 3000 GBP, which depending on the exchange rate could be $4500-6000. It's a really tough call - since I've never gone to 41 wks and with my previous homebirths, the midwife got to the house within 30 min of birthing, I'm leaning towards the free one but I'm kind of freaked out by the 41 wk thing, esp because I feel like as a midwife I always noticed 3rd babies can be unpredictable. Anyway, so I'm met with both kinds of midwives - kind of interesting over here they don't do a physical, labwork or anything. Just ask about your periods and previous births and talk about diet. nice and low key!
#18 of 58 Old 12-27-2008, 07:55 PM

Hi gals,
I'm at 8 weeks and have my labwork and an u/s at the OB coming this Friday. I had some early labwork done around 5 weeks and my HCG was rising well, but low progesterone. (I am on supplements now.) Feeling officially horrible. (Which I have to keep reminding myself is a GOOD thing for the pregnancy.) Besides the nausea, extreme fatigue, bloating, and gas I'm also struggling with some anxiety having had 2 miscarriages before my successful pg with DD who is 2 years 8 months. So far so good though. No signs that things aren't healthy and good. I bought some sea bands at target today and have been wearing them for about an hour- not really working I don't think. Bummer. I thought it was worth a try. Does anyone know what I can possibly do about all of this (painful) gas? Is simethicone (gas-x) safe? I'd think I'd rather not take anythng but I'm a little desparate at this point and I feel like it is making the nausea I have lots worse. Anyone else having horrible gas?

Heidi , wife to my DH , mama to Hope Isobel (4/3/06), Molly Grace (7/31/09): , furbaby Callie :
#19 of 58 Old 12-27-2008, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Stardust, clear mucous is completely normal during pregnancy. I get it every single day and did with both my other pregnancies too. It is actually one of the first signs of pregnancy, they call it "creamy cervical mucous" in the charting world. So don't worry about clear mucous at all! It is also somewhat common to have on and off cramps. Drink lots of water and rest and they may ease.

Glitter, I know it is not the most ideal thing to do but is it possible you can go with a free MW and add a few days to your LMP to make your due date later than it acutally is Then it will give you a bit of a buffer so you don't get risked out if you go late. The only downside is that if you go early you may be risked out too when you are actually term.

#20 of 58 Old 12-27-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
Stardust, clear mucous is completely normal during pregnancy. I get it every single day and did with both my other pregnancies too. It is actually one of the first signs of pregnancy, they call it "creamy cervical mucous" in the charting world.
yup. saucy panties!!

#21 of 58 Old 12-27-2008, 11:11 PM

thanks, Jillian and thorn, wise mamas, for the reassurances!! fingers crossed that it's all normal panty junk and growing pains.

mamaheids, I totally have horrible gas, too. I'm sort of used to it, because I get it all the time -- even when not pregnant. I spend a lot of time lying on my left side. I slow down on hefty whole grainy things like bread and pasta when I get really out of control. But I'm telling you, plop yourself on the couch on your left side and tell everyone to stay away from your feet for about 15 minutes. It does the trick for me every time!

mama to magical 6 yr old and a full moon Aug baby:
#22 of 58 Old 12-27-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Sun View Post

Also, I decided that I am going to take a childbirth educator training while I am pregnant and then do lactation training after that. I am really excited about it. I am already a doula and everything I do for a living has to do with babies, so I would love to slip this in as well. I really want to become a midwife someday, it would just be too much now with two little ones. By doing more doula work and teaching childbirth classes I will be much more prepared by the time I am ready to do my midwife training.
Are you sure you didn't read my mind and then type this? Before we found out we were expecting this was our exact plan. I may still try to do the educator training while preggo, but I don't know for sure. Our only dilemma is we technically already have 3 running around when my dss is at our home (which has been a lot more as of recently!)

It's nice to know that there's another crazy preggo lady out there with the same plan!

Crystal- aka "Momma" toLara Karlene 1-1-05 ~ Keira Skyler 1-31-07 ~ Rohnin Viper 8-12-09 & stork-suprise.gif March 2014!!!!

intactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#23 of 58 Old 12-27-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi.birthdoula View Post
Are you sure you didn't read my mind and then type this? Before we found out we were expecting this was our exact plan. I may still try to do the educator training while preggo, but I don't know for sure. Our only dilemma is we technically already have 3 running around when my dss is at our home (which has been a lot more as of recently!)

It's nice to know that there's another crazy preggo lady out there with the same plan!
Where are you going to do yours? I was thinking cappa as they have a distance training program. I honestly think I could teach it now if I brushed up on a few things, but I know I need to get certified. We should do it together
#24 of 58 Old 12-28-2008, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

I used CAPPA for my labor doula training and really liked them.

I started getting acid reflux a few days ago and it is progressively getting worse. I've never had it before, but it burns! Any non-med suggestions for dealing with it? I thought it was too early for this!

#25 of 58 Old 12-28-2008, 10:40 PM

Happy after Holidays ladies!

I am so happy for the whirlwind to be over. We had a blessed and wonderful, exhausting time!

Feeling ok, but ready for a "modified" diet tomorrow!

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#26 of 58 Old 12-29-2008, 01:08 PM

Hi ~ Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays. Any plans for New Years eve? I think we may just do dinner and a movie with our boys.

I have an u/s and appointment today with a high risk specialist and for some reason am very nervous. I made the mistake yesterday of looking at "high rish" pregnancy books at the library and they were just so negative, ugh. I too wish this was not such a roller coaster.

I am looking into and researching vbac and it is going slowly. I am kind of new to this area so I am not familiar with many groups but I am trying. It seems like being unfamiliar with vbac and who does it is making this hard. I was hoping to switch doc's by Jan but I don't think I'll have a decision by then.
#27 of 58 Old 12-29-2008, 01:16 PM

seedlings, did you contact your local ICAN chapter?

#28 of 58 Old 12-29-2008, 02:08 PM

Hi Thorn,

I e mailed the local chapter almost a week ago and have not heard anything. I thought for sure they would be a great resource. But I am still trying.
#29 of 58 Old 12-29-2008, 04:11 PM

was there a phone number listed? sometimes the emails don't get checked as often as they should, especially around the holidays. if there was a phone number for the leader, I'd try and call.

otherwise if you let me know the name of the chapter, I can try and get in touch with the leader for you

#30 of 58 Old 12-29-2008, 07:24 PM

thorn,

I checked my sent e mail and I had sent one to my ican local group on the 19th. So I did call her just now and she has been busy with the holidays and we talked for a little. But I am so glad I did (thanks for the suggestion). I see a bit of sunshine for my vbac.

My appointment with the perinatologist went ok. It was nice to meet him but no real great info was gained. I am will be 40 when I deliver and am considered high risk. The whole risk thing makes me sad. I wish I could just jump over these next couple of months.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page