*~ Weekly chat thread Jan 3-9 ~* - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 121 Old 01-06-2009, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That really sucks Wombat!! You guys really don't have a whole lot of options out there! I hope you find a good outcome to this.

I had my first 'sick all day' day. I woke up ate, and immediatly began feeling nauseous. I know the first vomit is comming. I only vommitted three times with alice and I have a bad feeling that this one will be more, but we will have to see...

Any news from the uncle yet sunshyn??

Bec, Married eternally to Dan for ten years. Parents to A (8/17/06) O (12/30/09) one love lost (2/07/09) and my little twin angels (9/24/11, 10/11/11)

#62 of 121 Old 01-06-2009, 08:45 PM

I feel ya Wombat! I would have been a good candidate for homebirth, but our HB midwives aren't allowed to attend twin VBAC. So I have to do a hospital birth. Our birth center can't accommodate VBAC. We have very few CNMs in our community, and the ones that are attached to the birth center don't have current OB backup so can't catch at the hospital very easily. Plus, the one I liked best is now doing family practice nursing.

I don't know what sort of choices I might have locally. I don't know if any of the "supportive" OBs "allow" twin VBAC; I don't know how much presentation plays into it. I know that no one has done a breech birth naturally in ages, so there isn't anyone qualified to do that in the event that 1 or both babies go breech.

The nearest big city is 3 hrs away but out of state so not "in network." I'll have to pay a larger portion. Add on top of that the uncertainty of when twins will decide it's time to be born, and it'd be pretty tough to try and "schedule" a trip to another town. I don't want to be in transit that long laboring with twins.

Our primary c/s rate is 31%. VBAC is nearly nonexistent.

When my HB midwife gets back in town, I'll ask her for advice. For now, I'm just hoping and praying to be growing healthy babies in there!

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#63 of 121 Old 01-06-2009, 09:44 PM

I am so glad I live in a "good" city for vbac. My provider even does twin and breech vbacs, and vbacs after 3, 4, 5 cesareans. He is a rare one though.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#64 of 121 Old 01-06-2009, 10:30 PM

When dd2 was born (hospital vbac) there were a half dozen care providers in my town who were rah-rah yay natural birth go vbac mamas! And within a month of her birth they were all gone. It is absolutely shocking how quickly the birth climate can change.

And I live in a really crunchy town... all organic, natural, biodynamic, extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, land of the co-op and csa. So it is doubly bizarre that the birth options are such a mess.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#65 of 121 Old 01-06-2009, 10:54 PM

Speaking of VBACs, I was pleasantly surprised at my OB appt yesterday. I had mentioned it and they said they would encourage a VBAC over a repeat c-section, even with twins... however my incision makes them super nervous (and me too) since it is an upside down T.

Jayme-
Boy13, Boy12, Boy10, Girl7, Girl5, Twin Boys 6/14/09
#66 of 121 Old 01-06-2009, 11:08 PM

Jayme - why is your c-section an upside down T?

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#67 of 121 Old 01-06-2009, 11:25 PM

we have two practices here who REALLY support vbac, and a handful of others that give lip service to it (if you agree to x, y, z, go into labor before your due date, have a small baby, it's a full moon, etc )

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#68 of 121 Old 01-06-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
I am so glad I live in a "good" city for vbac. My provider even does twin and breech vbacs, and vbacs after 3, 4, 5 cesareans. He is a rare one though.
That's it. I'm moving in. I'm an ICANner, so I think you have to let me move in with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
When dd2 was born (hospital vbac) there were a half dozen care providers in my town who were rah-rah yay natural birth go vbac mamas! And within a month of her birth they were all gone. It is absolutely shocking how quickly the birth climate can change.

And I live in a really crunchy town... all organic, natural, biodynamic, extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, land of the co-op and csa. So it is doubly bizarre that the birth options are such a mess.
I live in a pretty crunchy town too. Well, crunchy for MT. But the mainstream birth culture is completely effed in the A.

DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#69 of 121 Old 01-06-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenomicsGirl View Post
Jayme - why is your c-section an upside down T?
My section was for a 25 weeker who was transverse- she was up under my ribs. I couldn't labor because her cord was presenting first...
My incision on my skin is the low bikini, and that was the original uterine one as well, but they couldn't get in there good to get her out like that so they also did the vertical one. Time was also a factor to getting her out and getting her intubated and to the NICU.

Jayme-
Boy13, Boy12, Boy10, Girl7, Girl5, Twin Boys 6/14/09
#70 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labortrials View Post
That's it. I'm moving in. I'm an ICANner, so I think you have to let me move in with you.
I'm actually on the ICAN Board of Directors - I think it was part of my oath of office

My doc has had people fly to him from NY to deliver, and people routinely drive from cities 2-3 hours away in GA. but I think MT would be a new record

#71 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hope nobody was offended by the post I made that was removed. I was just overly annoyed that I had to witness that kind of thing right outside my front door. If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't worry about it.

I'm hitting the 9 week mark tomorrow, with nothing really exciting to report(except my first official MW appointment is on the 20th. Did I mention that already?). I'm feeling very blah and lethargic; it seems like it takes SO much energy to do anything. Thankfully dh was off of work today and did three loads of laundry for me. : I could have kissed his feet. Now I have a small hill of laundry to catch up on instead of a mountain. Haha

OH, and I went to my LLL meeting today, and checked out Ina May's guide to Childbirth. I LOVE it so far, and today I fleetingly daydreamed about going to The Farm to give birth, until I googled it and realized that it's almost a full 6 hrs from where I live. Probably not the most practical choice.

Off to do some reading...

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#72 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 09:26 AM

Mama*Pisces I didn't even notice it was removed... I noticed the thread got closed and reopened... I guess that was why. Everyone needs to vent and if this is your safe space so be it

After reading all of your guys' posts on getting vbac ob's I really hae had to count my blessing that I don't have to deal with the same thing. And trust me - even the nurse midwives who where in charge of my care with dd threatened me with a c-section more than once.

Bec, Married eternally to Dan for ten years. Parents to A (8/17/06) O (12/30/09) one love lost (2/07/09) and my little twin angels (9/24/11, 10/11/11)

#73 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 12:18 PM

Hey Wombat: I am totally feeling for you and wish I could offer some advice. This situation in obstetrics is so unfair to women; it sucks to have to start your pregnancy in this kind of a bind.
I am in a somewhat similar situation because we are having twins. If I were having a singleton I could go to the local birth center. But with twins I am forced to choose between an intervention-filled hospital birth or a home birth. I have talked to a few homebirth midwives, but I am not 100% comfortable going down that road. The area I am in is pretty hostile to pregnant women. Maternity units are closing all over the city and the closest hospitals to me have 40% primary c-sections rates and the unofficial word from the L&D nurses I know is that it is 80% or higher for twins, regardless of presentation. It totally sucks.

I have found myself really down about this pregnancy, which is so sad because we tried for so long to get pregnant. I have not made any decisions yet, but time is marching on so I guess I will have to decide soon.

I hope a good solution comes your way Wombat - sending you good thoughts!

Mama to DS 10/06, DD & DS 08/09
#74 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 12:47 PM

Nothing from my brother in response to the announcement email yet... I'll send him a txt if I don't hear anything soon (we don't do well on the phone). He must be sick or something.

In other news, I broke my "no vomiting streak" this morning when I made the mistake of eating in the car on the way to work. I feel pretty awful still. My family doctor told me that it gets worse in the ninth week. So far, that is shaping up to be true

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#75 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 01:11 PM

Nooooo! The all day icks can't get worse! I protest!

I hope you feel better soon... hang in there!

Thanks for the hugs all... I'll see the midwife tomorrow and maybe call the local OB office just for perspective. I would love to go with the really vbac supportive dr/hospital but honestly the three hour drive is a huge problem. I just can't see how it would work either routinely or for the birth. So the realistic options are local practice with assertive doula/vbac nurse or homebirth if I qualify. I had a lot of physical trauma from my vbac so that has me nervous. I guess I'll see what the midwife says tomorrow!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#76 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 02:09 PM

MamaPisces -

I remember you from our 05/06 DDC - your DS is 2 days younger than my DS2 and this time you are due 2 days before I am!

I have given up. I am no longer going to argue with anyone about TV until next month. I hate having the TV on all the time, but on Monday DH worked and I tried to keep the TV off and I threw up, went on a crying jag when DH got home, and my kids tried to kill each other all day. Not worth it. TV for 6 weeks will not permanently stunt their minds or bodies or even kill me.

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#77 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Wombat: I hope your appointment goes well. Birth climate can change so fast and its so frustrating. Once ACOG comes out with a statement everyone likes to jump onboard. So now it is so hard to get a VBAC or a HB even in many places Its so unfair, everyone deserves the right to choose.

I'm having food issues. I'm so hungry all the time but the thought of eating makes me sick. I've found love with corned beef hash and scrambled eggs with cheese. Weird combo, eh? It just works for me so I'm sticking with it. Today I mixed everything together and it was fabulous. The only drink I can stand is juicy juice orange-tangerine. Come on second trimester! I'm dying to feel better!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#78 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 03:15 PM

I'm going to the store this afternoon and just walking the aisles with the girls till I see something that doesn't make me gag. DH said we could spare 10 dollars (our budget is tight tight so we really do need to go over every expense) and I am determined to make it count.

Honestly, the ick comes and goes... my heart goes out to the mamas who aren't getting even a few minutes off. I have entire 15-20 minute periods where I feel more or less ok and I'm trying to remind myself that this is more than many have! But Jilian I am so with you on getting through this. I need to be able to make dinner without hurling. Yesterday I even had to pull the car over with the girls in it because the apple Ro was nibbling on was making me woozy.

#79 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 03:17 PM

Wow, wombatclay, that is crazy. Talk about convoluted policies. :

I am so glad I am not the only one hungry all the time. Yet I also feel sick. I actually took a pregnancy test because I was feeling nauseated and look where I am now. Haha. I warned DH that dinner may not be very impressive from here on out and he sighed and went "and so it begins". lol

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#80 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
I'm actually on the ICAN Board of Directors - I think it was part of my oath of office
And I am a CL and "executive staff" or something silly like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama*pisces View Post
I hope nobody was offended by the post I made that was removed. I was just overly annoyed that I had to witness that kind of thing right outside my front door. If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't worry about it.
Totally missed it. Sorry you were frustrated, and I hope you're feeling better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by August09baby View Post
I am in a somewhat similar situation because we are having twins.
Ditto twins + VBAC. Good luck to us all, eh?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshynbaby View Post
Nothing from my brother in response to the announcement email yet... I'll send him a txt if I don't hear anything soon (we don't do well on the phone). He must be sick or something.

In other news, I broke my "no vomiting streak" this morning when I made the mistake of eating in the car on the way to work. I feel pretty awful still. My family doctor told me that it gets worse in the ninth week. So far, that is shaping up to be true
Sorry you haven't heard back from your brother yet. And I'm sorry you're feeling awful still today. Vomiting is no fun. I haven't vomited, but I feel pretty gross and nauseated most of the time. Please don't tell me it'll get worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksera05 View Post
I am so glad I am not the only one hungry all the time. Yet I also feel sick.
Totally starving; totally nauseated most of the time. :

#81 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 04:36 PM

I just fully collapsed into sobs watching the end of The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons. I'm not usually super hormonal, emotional, whatever, so that was...interesting!

Can I tell you all how utterly indignant I am at the plight of the pregnant and laboring mother in this country? I'm honestly considering law school in a few years just to focus on the rights of birthing mothers. From the outright human rights violations committed in hospitals (to women only, there are no comparable male scenarios to the way a woman can be treated in childbirth) to the authoritarian bullying practiced by so many in the medical community, all the way down to the hoop-jumping nonsense that we have to endure just to achieve the birth we want. It makes me so so sad and angry.

RANT RANT RANT. I really wanted to just chime in with my support for Wombat and others sorting through their options. Hey, like mamapisces said, there's always The Farm!

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

#82 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 04:59 PM

yikes! lots of birthing place drama. so sorry mama's! I have no clue what I'm going to encounter as I haven't even called a provider yet. I found 3 different mw's online and I actually know one of them from our MI natural parenting group so I'm hoping that she can help me out. I have no clue what out insurance covers as we're getting new ins on Monday: our current ins sucks so I'm very excited.

still no place to live. I'm freaking out. I've got a few leads but they're more than what we wanted to pay so it sucks. I just want to crawl into bed and wake up in a new home with everything moved and put away for me

we still haven't told our families about the baby :

anne, mama to Isaak (6.13.05) Joe (2.24.07) and Eli (8.17.09) wifey to J since 2002 petparent to our retired racer "Under Rated" aka Jango.  help put an end to dog racing! 
#83 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labortrials View Post
Please don't tell me it'll get worse.

I guess the upside of it getting worse is that it will soon get better!

#84 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 06:01 PM

the birth climate here is crazy.

none of the birth centers do vbac. The doctors that say they will often just say it to get you in the door and when it comes time, they begin imposing all sorts of restrictions (like you can't go past 40 weeks, you must get an epi as soon as you walk in the door, baby can't be "big", stuff like that). There was one hospital that tried to impose a defacto ban on vbac by only having an anesthesiologist oncall during day light hours, and the requirements for vbac said that one must be on call all the time (or something like that, to paraphrase). I'm not vbac, but it pisses me off that it's so hard to have one in this city.

One hospital here has a c/s rate of 43.77%! That's the overall c/s rate, I'm not sure what the primary rate is. But it's just outrageous. One hospital my doctor works at has a rate of 39.99%, and the other 31.45%

Your best bet for a normal birth here is to stay out of the hospital. I know this, but I'm still with an OB. I'm worried about my BP risking me out of homebirth. It's normally 120/80, which is right on the cusp of being high.
#85 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 06:08 PM

labortrials
#86 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbabymama View Post
I just fully collapsed into sobs watching the end of The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons. I'm not usually super hormonal, emotional, whatever, so that was...interesting!
I cried during Mulan the other day

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#87 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksera05 View Post
I cried during Mulan the other day
I sobbed during and after Marley and Me. We had to sit in the theater until I calmed down. Oh crap. I'm starting to cry just thinking about it

#88 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
Add me to the tired club. I am so tired, I just can't get enough sleep. I've also been having awful nightmares about the baby. The other night I had a nightmare that I delivered in the hospital and a nurse gave me a shot that gave me a 160 degree fever and they kept telling me it was ok. Then when the baby came out she was so tiny, like the size of my hand. I kept asking if she was ok and they said "She's fine, she 3 lbs 2 ozs" and I was begging them to intubate her so she could breathe but they said she did not need it.

Last night I dreamed that I gave birth at my MWs house during a cookout and the cord prolapsed right after my water broke so I tried to stuff it back in No one would help and I kept crying "my baby is going to be born still!" Then the baby turned breech and poked it body out through my abdomen so I could see the entire outline of the baby and I hugged it. Then I decided I was going to try to rip my skin open to get it out. I changed my mind and helped the baby turn back into position and did a cervical check on myself and accidentally poked my finger through the baby's soft spot. My contractions stopped and I was trying to find a way to start them again to get the baby born. The whole time I was so scared it was going to die and I could not find my MW because she was cooking food. Such a freaky dream!
Oh my goodness, Jillian! Those are terrible dreams!! You poor thing...

Amanda, Wife to James and Mom to Bub (11/00), Gracie (5/02), Brystol (7/09), Elleigh (3/11) and Piper (10/11).  angel1.gif  Missing our angels: Bean (12/05@6w) Ainsley (10/06@10w) Zachary (4/07@22w) Sweet Pea (8/07@9w) Twin B (12/08@8w) and Lil Bit (8/10@8w).

winner.jpgadoptionheart-1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifselectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpg

#89 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

I'm weepy too, I can cry over just about anything and I'm not a cry baby usually. I had my first MW appt today with the MW who delivered Evan. It was so great. We talked a bit about Evan's birth and the small warning sings that we missed. I feel so confident having her as my MW. We've been through a lot and I know she will give this new babe the best care possible. A fetal echocardiogram is the only extra test I'll need and she's already referred me to the specialist who does them so I should have my appointment scheduled soon. It will likely be sometime around 20-22 weeks.

Clay: I went food shopping for food that I could eat today too Hummus was on sale so I stocked up. And raisin toast too, for some reason that seems good. I hope you find some things that work for you too.

I keep trying to remind myself that nausea is a good sign of a nice healthy pregnancy. So we all have super-healthy pregnancies I was cursing hormones last night to DH and telling him they were evil for making us women forget how rough pregnancy/birth/pp recovery is and making us just have to have another baby. Evil hormones!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#90 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post

Clay: I went food shopping for food that I could eat today too Hummus was on sale so I stocked up. And raisin toast too, for some reason that seems good.
Ewww... I hope you're no going to put your Hummus ON your raisin toast! Bu hey, whatever floats your boat

For me it's fruit - I ate 2 lbs of cherries yesterday, a whole cantelope tonight. a bag of grapes a couple of days ago ... maybe they could be attributing to my gassiness...

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page