*~ Weekly chat thread Jan 3-9 ~* - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy New Year mamas (and mamas-to-be)! I hope everyone is feeling good this week. Our pediatric cardiologist told us that the heart is fully formed by the 8th week of pregnancy so many of our babies have perfect little working hearts right now I'm so excited to hit that milestone next week!

Has anyone not told yet? Did anyone tell friends/family recently? How did it go? My mom is "outing" me to everyone under the sun : I guess it is pretty obvious at this point anyway.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#2 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 11:13 AM

Hi Jilian and everyone else!!! I'm 7 weeks 5 days today! I have told the people who look at my blog, and my friends who I've seen in person, but I haven't officially announced it on more public forums like Facebook or the such.

Today is a good day. I've had so many bad days, that any good day is appreciated! I'm often nauseous, sleepy, grumpy, hormonal, and headachy. We're going for dim sum today, so I hope I can eat!

Does anyone know of a natural/organic cereal that is similar to LIFE Cereal? It seems to be the only cereal I can fathom eating in the mornings.

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#3 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 12:09 PM

Hey everyone!

Sorry your mom is outing you Jilian, but after seeing your pics I think your secret is out anyway lol

I will be 7 weeks on monday so excited to hit that mark. I have been having a little bit of brown spotting, but nothing to be worried about yet... I just want to get to that doctors visit on Feburary second.. I am far to impatient to hear this little ones heart.

I am so so so tired!! I can't get enough sleep! Anyone else having and extream tiredness. I go to bed at about 8 wake up at six for work and am already too tired to make it through the day attequatly -

well off to take a shower, maybe that will wake me up. Today is my only full day with DD, so I better make it good!

Bec, Married eternally to Dan for ten years. Parents to A (8/17/06) O (12/30/09) one love lost (2/07/09) and my little twin angels (9/24/11, 10/11/11)

#4 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 01:21 PM

Hooray a new week's thread!! Congrats to all of us on making it through another week!

I dk about you women, but I'm actually looking forward to getting back to our household routines after this long vacation stretch. Here we're all on an academic schedule, so there's been a lot of groovy family time. Still, vacation makes these 1st trimester weeks inch along much too slowly...

I'm at 9/4 today, so I'll be thrilled to be heading into week 10 in a few days.

I check constantly to see if I'm showing and honestly, I just look like I'm growing side chunk. My sister and I both showed really late and we're convinced it's because of the retroverted uterus thing, which also explains the constant sacral pains I deal with.

mama to magical 6 yr old and a full moon Aug baby:
#5 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 01:28 PM

I have told my Mom (she knew maybe at 5 or 6 weeks since she and my Dad watched our ds's while doing ivf) my oldest sister and my friend. I would not of told my friend but she is 20 weeks pg and kept asking for my pregnancy and baby stuff. So I had felt it was best to say hey I really need this stuff now . I will tell a lot more people when I am past 12 weeks.

RoseRed ~ have fun with dd. I feel like I am pushing myself to keep ahead of being tired. So I get to the point where I am exhausted and fall into bed. But the worst is when I can not fall asleep or my leggs go all restless on me ugh!

GenomicsGirl ~ Have a great time going out for dim sum. Breakfast is a tricky meal for me too. I am not aware of a Life ceral type organic/natural cereal.
#6 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 01:34 PM

stardust swallower ~ I was thinking the same thing about this vacation time. Everything is just so different I really need to get back on schedule. I should go out and buy by 2009 planner and update my 2009 calendar.

We are pretty close in dd's. I will be 10 weeks on Tuesday and am thrilled to be almost out of the first trimester.
#7 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 02:51 PM

genomicsgirl - I just did a search for organic life type cereal and din't find anything. I know this probably won't be the best idea.. but if worse comes to worse, just eat Life.. I just end up rejoicing when my body holds anything down so it doesn't matter much to me what it is lol

Bec, Married eternally to Dan for ten years. Parents to A (8/17/06) O (12/30/09) one love lost (2/07/09) and my little twin angels (9/24/11, 10/11/11)

#8 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedlings View Post
stardust swallower ~ I was thinking the same thing about this vacation time. Everything is just so different I really need to get back on schedule.
Ooh...not me. My husband had a five-day weekend last weekend and this weekend, and it's been so nice to get to sleep in, and just lay around when I feel crappy. Come Monday morning, I'm going to have to figure out how to pull myself together in the morning. Bleh.
#9 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenomicsGirl View Post
Does anyone know of a natural/organic cereal that is similar to LIFE Cereal? It seems to be the only cereal I can fathom eating in the mornings.
Barbara's Shredded Spoonfuls, and I think there is a Cascadian Farms one too...

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#10 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenomicsGirl View Post
Does anyone know of a natural/organic cereal that is similar to LIFE Cereal? .

MMMMMMM I love cinamon lifeI havent found anthing organic simliar to it though

I am feeling a little better now still sick a lot but not as sick or tired I'm not looking forward to monday to get back to Homeschooling DS after a long break and I have 3 field trips planned for our HS group this month that I just soooooo do not want to deal with but I had set it up before I knew I was preggo it should be fun they are glass blowing classes (2 of them) and a puppet show at the zoo for preschoolers who get to touch hold lots of rare animals.

Im digging cold cuts latley which I usually try to avoid but at least I'm heating to kill off isteria

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#11 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 03:36 PM

I'm 7 weeks today, and I think everyone close to us knows. I'm a surrogate, and I know the baby's mom has told all of her family and friends. Our first midwife appt. is on Friday. It is so hard to wait to find out if it's twins or a singleton. I'm feeling very queasy and tired, but no puking yet, which is a welcome change compared to my other pregnancies.

Kelly - Labor & Delivery RN, IBCLC, Wife of 22 years, Mom to 4
Proud Surrogate Mommy

#12 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyh_01 View Post
I'm 7 weeks today, and I think everyone close to us knows. I'm a surrogate, and I know the baby's mom has told all of her family and friends. Our first midwife appt. is on Friday. It is so hard to wait to find out if it's twins or a singleton. I'm feeling very queasy and tired, but no puking yet, which is a welcome change compared to my other pregnancies.
thats awesome that your are a surrogate are they close friends or are you doing through a service I keep telling DH I would love to be a surrogate to help someone else, what a great gift you are giving :

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#13 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 05:44 PM

Yawn.

It's 10 minutes to 4 and I have so much to do around here but I am SO tired. Wah.

Pretty much everyone that we know knows, and thankfully most of our family on my husband's side didn't give us any flack, like we kinda thought they would. I even got some nice maternity clothes for Christmas from them, which was nice.

My first MW appt is January 20, and DH is coming with me! : I will be 10 weeks, 6 days then - really hoping we'll be able to hear the heartbeat.

I'm 8 weeks right now and in that really awkward stage right now(already?), where almost none of my regular clothes fit but my maternity clothes are still hanging off me. : BUT I just found out today that my really good friend has a Bella Band she's willing to lend me. I'm so excited - that should at least help with a couple of pairs of pants I have. lol

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#14 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 06:50 PM

Thanks for checking girls - I'll try to find the Cascadian Farms one (and if it's nauseating, I'll just give it to the kids LOL).

I've also had some brown spotting. I have also gotten a thick gelatinous discharge - almost like a mucous plug, but yellowish and translucent. No blood residue in it. Anyone have that?

I have been fortunate to be able to take afternoon naps every day but when dh goes back to work, it all ends

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#15 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
HI guys!

Jillian, we still haven't officially announced, but man, I don't know who's going to be left who's surprised when we do. I think just my mom. Aside from my chronic and horrible lack of desire to keep this particular secret, I'm definitely putting weight on. Last time I was nauseous and lost weight through the first trimester. There appears to be nothing stopping me from eating this time around (touch wood).

My first OB appointment (with an OB I know I'm ditching as soon as I find a MW, hah!) is on the 14th, when I'll be nine weeks exactly. I'll also be taking the audit section of the CPA exam that morning. I have a major exam and a pelvic exam on the same day! Go me!

Stardust, I'm looking forward to getting back on a regular schedule too. Yay for vacation, but I feel like we need our routine back. DS definitely does - he's bouncing off the walls today. The daycare says they're moving him up to the next toddler room on Monday. I'm hoping that activities in the next toddler room include, oh, even more running around.
#16 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 07:27 PM

I'm 9+1 and finally feel like I'm starting to come out of my grog. The only thing that is worse now than a few weeks ago is the fatigue. At 4 pm every day, I seriously cannot keep my eyes open. I'm getting excited to tell people - I'm in an awkward situation where all my close friends in the US know, my cousin knows but none of my immediate family or friends here in the UK know! Talk about confusing. I typically wait until it's embarrassingly late to tell people - like 20 wks with my first and 14 wks with my second - I just feel cautious and the good part with popping during the holidays is I can cover up with sweaters and people prob think I've got some holiday chunk going on. I haven't told my parents because my mom is AWFUL when any of us tell her we are pregnant. I have no idea why because she loves our kids and she is fine after the initial outburst but I know she is going to act like my life is officially over. So it's kind of a downer that I dread telling her, ya know?
#17 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 07:48 PM

I'm 9 wks today. So far my m/s has been managable, mostly I've just been feeling "off" and I don't really want to eat anything, except lots and lots of salad.

So far I've only told the friends that we see regularly, the ones that would notice and guess anyway. My family all live pretty far away and I hate the idea of having to make that second phone call if things don't go well... so we're waiting until after we hear a heartbeat to tell anyone else.
#18 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 07:50 PM

I've started walking for 30 minutes a day and that seems to be helping me stay awake during the day, and fall asleep easier at night.

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#19 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 08:51 PM

Not much news here. I'm 9 wks today. I can't wait for my next appointment! It's not til the 13th. I'm so anxious to make sure everything is going ok!

We haven't told many people. My mom and a few close friends are the only ones who know. I'm not that close to the rest of my family and I know they will probably not be excited. I'm not looking forward to telling them!

Has anyone else been so exhausted they could barely move throughout the day? I feel like this will never end!
#20 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
Has anyone else been so exhausted they could barely move throughout the day? I feel like this will never end!
Yes. I've been cleaning for five minutes at a time then sitting down at the computer for ten. I feel useless.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#21 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glittergal View Post
I'm 9+1 and finally feel like I'm starting to come out of my grog. The only thing that is worse now than a few weeks ago is the fatigue. At 4 pm every day, I seriously cannot keep my eyes open. I'm getting excited to tell people - I'm in an awkward situation where all my close friends in the US know, my cousin knows but none of my immediate family or friends here in the UK know! Talk about confusing. I typically wait until it's embarrassingly late to tell people - like 20 wks with my first and 14 wks with my second - I just feel cautious and the good part with popping during the holidays is I can cover up with sweaters and people prob think I've got some holiday chunk going on. I haven't told my parents because my mom is AWFUL when any of us tell her we are pregnant. I have no idea why because she loves our kids and she is fine after the initial outburst but I know she is going to act like my life is officially over. So it's kind of a downer that I dread telling her, ya know?
4pm seems to be when I get super tired too. I think it's because I'm on my feet all day with the boys and that's when I know dh will be home soon so I don't feel quite so bad about letting them watch TV. and no, we still haven't told anyone. just people on my blog and my work. I only told my work because I wanted to make sure it wouldn't affect me coming back (I'm not currently working but will probably start up again soon after we move). I dread what my family is going to say but I think I will be outed this weekend when we go home as I'm so sick and my face is looking really skinny

anne, mama to Isaak (6.13.05) Joe (2.24.07) and Eli (8.17.09) wifey to J since 2002 petparent to our retired racer "Under Rated" aka Jango.  help put an end to dog racing! 
#22 of 121 Old 01-04-2009, 12:23 AM

Hey there! I am also SO TIRED. My dh has this great joke..."are you sooooo tired Heather" over and over he asks. Teasing me, but in a good way. I am happy he recognizes how exhausted I am.

I really do not remember this from my other pregnancies. I can't wait until this to shall pass!

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#23 of 121 Old 01-04-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydensmama View Post
Hey there! I am also SO TIRED. My dh has this great joke..."are you sooooo tired Heather" over and over he asks. Teasing me, but in a good way. I am happy he recognizes how exhausted I am.

I really do not remember this from my other pregnancies. I can't wait until this to shall pass!
My husband is saying the exact same thing!

I am feeling pregnant still. No cramping, no spotting, etc. Getting more tired each afternoon and hitting the hay wayyyy early each night. Nauseous at certain times.

Check out my thread here.

Hoping for a Miracle

~Heather, loving my DH and DS with my whole heart. Our newest addition DD July '10
#24 of 121 Old 01-04-2009, 12:55 AM

We haven't told yet. DH has said he's sure his dad knows. We spend a lot of time with FIL and SMIL and I know they've taken note of me not drinking a mimosa on Christmas morning, champagne on NYE, and no margarita today at lunch. They have tactfully not asked, but I bet they won't be surprised when we tell them. I'm 6 and 3 today, and we'll probably tell them, and MIL and SIL, at 9 weeks exactly - if the u/s I have scheduled that day reveals a viable pregnancy. I'm going to wait until 12 weeks or after to tell my parents. I don't have a great relationship with my mom and last time she made a crass remark about me being pregnant. She was also pretty unsupportive when I had the m/c. My MIL was great through that (having had 9 m/c herself).

GenomicsGirl - There is a place near me that makes dim sum to order. It's great. I can have it breakfast, lunch or dinner! no chicken feet for me when pg though, I normally love them but right now the thought turns my stomach.

In other news, I'm considering looking for a job. I think I want to wait until after 12 weeks when hopefully : morning sickness has mostly left, but before I am showing, to start working. I don't know how hard of a time I'm going to have finding work in this economy though. We currently live frugally and have been saving a down payment for a house. DH was talking about getting a second job, but I hate to see him work so much when I'm capable. I haven't worked in over a year and have been going to college full time, but I'll be done for a while after next week.
#25 of 121 Old 01-04-2009, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
Barbara's Shredded Spoonfuls, and I think there is a Cascadian Farms one too...
I was totally going to suggest Barbara's shredded Spoonfuls as well. i think they are really yummy and taste a lot like life.

Very few people know that i'm pregnant. I told my mom right away. And I told another friend who is pregnant also, just because I really wanted to share with someone, and then my (step)father guessed and I can't lie if someone asks me straight out, but really it's still a secret for the most part. Which is weird because with dd we told everyone at 5weeks and this time I'll be eight weeks on Monday, and almost no one knows. It's not totally weird because I think we both of us feel so nervous after the miscarriage (6.5 wks) we had in Nov. I felt like it was a miracle that we made it back home and i was still pregnant. I really wanted to tell people because everyone was around because of the holidays, but at the same time I'm enjoying not having everyone know. It was hard though because we were staying with the Inlaws for 3.5 weeks and i felt exhausted and nauseous and I'm sure they just wondered why i was being so lazy and unhelpful all the time. And unfortunately because of the earlier pregnancy (which they didn't know about either) I've been like this for the last three months and this is the fourth time we've been down to visit them. They probably just think I'm acting like a real b***h.

All in all though things are going well. My nausea seems manageable. I'm eating way healthier this time than I did with dd. I haven't had any spotting (knocks on wood) yet which I had with both dd and with my last pregnancy (I'm 50/50 on it ending badly I guess). I have a doctor's appt on Monday which I'm feeling very excited about. I'm getting ready to start sewing the new babe's diaper stash. I can't wait. I just got a new serger and I have a snap press on the way! Things feel good and I'm feeling positive:

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#26 of 121 Old 01-04-2009, 02:23 PM

I am super tired today, I feel like I might be getting a cold. and DH has been off work since Christmas Eve but leaves tomorrow for 4 days in Pennsylvania! Boo I hate it when he is gone, especially for that long, and pregnant, with 2 kids, all alone.

*whines*

#27 of 121 Old 01-04-2009, 02:46 PM

Hi Mamas,
I'm glad everyone seems to be doing ok, even though we are all exhausted. I'm doing ok- m/s wasn't quite as bad the past few days as it had been. Anyway, we aren't telling anyone that we are pg yet, but my in-laws guessed over Xmas (no drinking). We told them we aren't telling anyone yet and asked if they could hold the news until the end of January. Guess what?!?!? I was in the food store yesterday shopping and across several of the aisles (ala Kate from Jon and Kate + 8's TRU episode), I hear "[my name]!!! Oh my Gosh! I am so excited that you are pregnant and expecting #2! A baby! How exciting!!!!" Yup, from one of my MILs best friends! And yes, we live in a small town, so, while I was too embarrased to look around, I'm sure several people I know now know. Thanks, MIL.
Hope you week goes well,
~maddymama
#28 of 121 Old 01-04-2009, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Add me to the tired club. I am so tired, I just can't get enough sleep. I've also been having awful nightmares about the baby. The other night I had a nightmare that I delivered in the hospital and a nurse gave me a shot that gave me a 160 degree fever and they kept telling me it was ok. Then when the baby came out she was so tiny, like the size of my hand. I kept asking if she was ok and they said "She's fine, she 3 lbs 2 ozs" and I was begging them to intubate her so she could breathe but they said she did not need it.

Last night I dreamed that I gave birth at my MWs house during a cookout and the cord prolapsed right after my water broke so I tried to stuff it back in No one would help and I kept crying "my baby is going to be born still!" Then the baby turned breech and poked it body out through my abdomen so I could see the entire outline of the baby and I hugged it. Then I decided I was going to try to rip my skin open to get it out. I changed my mind and helped the baby turn back into position and did a cervical check on myself and accidentally poked my finger through the baby's soft spot. My contractions stopped and I was trying to find a way to start them again to get the baby born. The whole time I was so scared it was going to die and I could not find my MW because she was cooking food. Such a freaky dream!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#29 of 121 Old 01-04-2009, 03:49 PM

I'm tired and my brain has ceased to function. This happened last time...I lose my words (aka my vocabulary). The other night I was trying to conjure up "voyeur" during a conversation with DBF and all I could think of was "osteopath". ????

And I just posted in July DDC by mistake (I think my EDD is 7-29, so I just waltzed right in without thinking).

Good news is little to no sickness, just some dizzy spells. Pretty much the same as last time with even less food/smell sensitivity. Oddly, I've been wantonly stuffing my face for days to keep my energy up and yet the scale says I'm down a few pounds. It must be defective, I'm not a super tiny, metabolically-gifted mama.

No appointment yet, so I'm a bit freaked as I've had odd little roving pains. I know it's my uterus stretching and is probably due to the close proximity of my pregnancies, but I can't wait to hear little Rosie's heartbeat for the first time.

Oh, and we're still on a need-to-know basis with telling people. My father in particular wouldn't want to know until after the first trimester. We tried to tell DBF's family on Christmas...I had a calendar made with a picture of me pregnancy on a day at the tail end of my EDD range of normal with the caption "Rosie's birthday?????". So his mom looks through the whole thing, up until August, I swear looks at that day, looks at me and shuts the calendar. So she's either evil or stupid, but DBF is forbidden to mention it to them until they wise up. His grandmother is getting the same calendar and she's a pretty smart cookie, so maybe she'll figure it out and clue in the mom.

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

#30 of 121 Old 01-04-2009, 04:07 PM

We told a few close friends and the members of my ICAN group (since I needed care provider ideas). I'm also exhausted and generally quesy... although I'd like to get back to our normal schedule, part of that schedule means dh will be gone from about 7am until around 7pm Mon-Fri and honestly that thought scares me. I've been falling apart almost every day this past week even with his constnt prescence and support so I'm scared about how this is going to work with him back to his regular hours. Not to mention he loves to cook so when he is on vacation he does all the cooking... but starting tomorrow I'll be taking over food again and that wont be pretty. He's making a giant lasagna tonight so that should help.

Ugh.

I've called the homebirth midwife who takes VBAC and haven't heard back yet... I'll call again tomorrow and hopefully get a meet/greet visit soon. I'm 8 weeks or so, and I'd like to have my care in place! If I need to arrange care at a distance then I want to know that sooner rather than later. I'm a very "plan ahead" sort of person, even though I'm also a big procrastinator.

Hmmmm... so far food has been evil, but I've been having some luck with the store brand of frosted miniwheats (eaten dry). And reduced fat triscuits with mozarella cheese. Other than that, it's pretty hit or miss. Egg drop soup is usually yummy, homemade pizza has worked about half the time, pasta cooked in chicken broth, oatmeal with coconut butter, and (to be completely honest) lime sorbet.

I've been drinking a lot of ginger tea, preggo tea, and hot water with honey and lemon. And hoping this whole early pregnancy ick ends soon... I remember being really sick with dd1 but not really anything with dd2.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page