Fess-up: What are you already shopping for? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 106 Old 01-11-2009, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's always the "jump seat" solution if your older child can stand. They're not much cheaper than a whole new stroller, but they do convert a regular stroller into a stroller + ride along platform. I think the One Step Ahead catalog always has them...

Car/Seat- well, we have two radians and the radian people claim you can fit three across in just about anything. But I dunno. You can certainly fit a (slim) adult between the two seats right now, and DH says they could be securely fastened with a bit more space between them, but I still don't "see" enough room for another Radian. (Radians a re more trim than other seats because they have a steel frame and need less "crumple stuff" to be equally secure... plus they fold kinda flat, which rocked when we took them on the plane last month) One possible solution is to put dd1 in a booster (she'd be 4 when the babe arrived, and she's a big kid... tall and heavy for her age) but I'm not really happy with that and I don't know that a booster would save any width, you know?

Sigh... guess we'll see what happens!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#62 of 106 Old 01-11-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
well, it's not *exactly* a baby thing - but we bought a brand new toyota sienna 8-passenger minivan today!!
when we went van shopping just recently I loves the Seinna and wanted that one but got we 17k off a brand new dodge caravan (chrystler family discount plus my awesome car negotioation skills!) so we got that one 2 months ago

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#63 of 106 Old 01-11-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydensmama View Post
I have been given a pack of newborn diapers and an adorable polo girl newborn dress. I was bummed about the girlie outfit- jinx!

The first thing I will buy will be a baby hammock. Narrowing down between The Miyo, Amby, and Hushamok.

I am pretty sure I am going with The - because of weight and look!

I am also going to buy a new car seat.

That is about it, besides diapers. This is number 3 and we are not finding out the sex. So if it is a girl, she will be in blue for a bit, and if it is a boy we are set!!!!

I have the Amby and looking at the others I would choose the Amby here is why-

hushamok- looks cool but it doesnt look like you can adjust the inclince at all in the Amby you can adjust it so that the baby is siitting more upright ( to help with reflux and gerd or it can be used more flat

Miyo- I like that one but the way baby lays in it makes me uncomfortable I don't know what those things are next to the babies head but I would worry since they are SO close to that babies face of smothering the baby watch the video again and look how the baby pushes it face right up to the side that makes me real uncomfortable.

So although I like the look of the Miyo I would go with the Amby I can show you pics of my kids in the Amby or ask anyquestion about it but what I really love about the Amby it that you can adjust the incline

#64 of 106 Old 01-11-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomommy1122 View Post
when we went van shopping just recently I loves the Seinna and wanted that one but got we 17k off a brand new dodge caravan (chrystler family discount plus my awesome car negotioation skills!) so we got that one 2 months ago
we could've gotten the family discount on the dodge too but consumer reports HATED the '09 caravan. it ranked the lowest out of all the minivans and the new car prediction was "much worse than average" so I didn't want to risk it.

plus that 8th seat, with the front-and-center seating, that really made me love the sienna!

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#65 of 106 Old 01-12-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
Double strollers scare me too, they are all like busses. The only one that seems to be an ok size is the phil and teds double and that thing is a fortune! Then there is the issue of the child on the bottom putting his/her hands in the tires.
I tried that one out and didn't like it - that poor kid underneath can't see anything! We ended up getting the BOB double and it's awesome - yes, it's not the lightest thing, but it's super-maneuverable and fits through single doorways. I use it at the mall all the time! I sold my Graco DuoGlider once I realized how awesome the BOB was And then I bought a single BOB

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#66 of 106 Old 01-12-2009, 01:19 AM

we have the phil & ted's and love it. the kid in the back can see to either side. neither of my kids mind sitting in the back and the stroller is awesome, super light, fits anywhere and pushes like a dream

the tires have hubcaps on them, I haven't had any issues with my kids touching them.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#67 of 106 Old 01-12-2009, 10:44 AM

I broke down and bought some maternity jeans Friday. I really hate to buy maternity clothes before the 2nd trimester just in case. But I just couldn't fit in my pants anymore!

I also scored 4 knit soakers and 1 knit sleep sack for only $35 on another board I am a member of!
#68 of 106 Old 01-12-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
we could've gotten the family discount on the dodge too but consumer reports HATED the '09 caravan. it ranked the lowest out of all the minivans and the new car prediction was "much worse than average" so I didn't want to risk it.

plus that 8th seat, with the front-and-center seating, that really made me love the sienna!
HMM didnt know that! I did like the extra seat in the SeinNa too! There was no way we could afford the Seinna new though and we couldnt find a used one Anywhere I love our Caravan through

#69 of 106 Old 01-12-2009, 12:21 PM

I'm petrified of the double stroller. Even worse, I couldn't possibly get one up my freakishly narrow apt stairs or store anything on the first floor that doesn't fold flat and light enough for me to hoist onto the wall hook with one hand...the other is always holding a baby! Right now I cuss out my Bugaboo every time I have to wrangle it down and assemble it with Nicky on my hip.

So the Phil & Teds seems to be my only option. Part of me thinks I'll hold off, though, as Nikita didn't even get into her stroller until 4 or 5 months old and I hate to give up my two perfectly good single strollers. I always just wore her, and this time around I'm a way more accomplished babywearer.

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

#70 of 106 Old 01-12-2009, 12:38 PM

Nothing yet really, Though I am vaguely worried about the car seat situation... we only have small cars (hondas: 1 accord and 1 civic), so it'll be tight regardless of what we do there... but I'm sure we'll manage. Somehow. As soon as we find out if its a boy or a girl I'll start looking for newborn-6 month clothes, but I don't know that we 'need' anything else, really. Maybe some more diapers, assuming DS doesn't get potty trained in time.. I'm really hoping to work on that this spring/summer when its warm!!
#71 of 106 Old 01-12-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
Nothing yet really,Though I am vaguely worried about the car seat situation... we only have small cars (hondas: 1 accord and 1 civic), so it'll be tight regardless of what we do there... but I'm sure we'll manage.
I can relate. We have one car right now (a 2 door Honda Accord) so we've been considering the possibility of us needing a 4 door soon. But since we just purchased a house I really want to see what our budget looks like for the next few months before we take on anything else. Its a bit daunting!

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#72 of 106 Old 02-05-2009, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Soooo... I'm buying diapers... Browsing turns into CANT PASS UP A GOOD DEAL!!!!!!!11!!1
#73 of 106 Old 02-05-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Car/Seat- well, we have two radians and the radian people claim you can fit three across in just about anything. But I dunno. You can certainly fit a (slim) adult between the two seats right now, and DH says they could be securely fastened with a bit more space between them, but I still don't "see" enough room for another Radian. (Radians a re more trim than other seats because they have a steel frame and need less "crumple stuff" to be equally secure... plus they fold kinda flat, which rocked when we took them on the plane last month) One possible solution is to put dd1 in a booster (she'd be 4 when the babe arrived, and she's a big kid... tall and heavy for her age) but I'm not really happy with that and I don't know that a booster would save any width, you know?
The other thing to remember is that they'll be alternating--you'll either have two forward-facers and one rear-facer, or two rear-facers and one forward-facer. And you can rear-face in a Radian so long that, by the time the baby was ready to forward-face, your oldest will certainly be ready for a booster. How old is your youngest now? Will he or she be forward or rear facing when the baby comes?

We'll likely have two rear-facers for a little bit after the baby arrives (my 2-year-old is about 27.5 pounds right now, so she has about 5.5 pounds of rear-facing left in her (we'll probably have the baby in a carrier-type seat at this point). By the time my youngest (who will then be my "middle child"--sniff!) is ready to turn forward-facing (I'm anticipating sometime around her 3rd birthday), we'll move my son to a Graco Nautilus (checked these out a couple times in the past couple of weeks, and *love* them), and give the baby his Radian. Ta-da!!
#74 of 106 Old 02-05-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
we have the phil & ted's and love it. the kid in the back can see to either side. neither of my kids mind sitting in the back and the stroller is awesome, super light, fits anywhere and pushes like a dream

the tires have hubcaps on them, I haven't had any issues with my kids touching them.
We have this stroller, too, and love it. When we got ours, the backseat kid would sometimes touch the tires--which worried me a bit. But someone stopped me in a store once and said, "I have this same stroller, and did you know that they'll send you a free fix-kit for the back wheels so that your kid can't touch them." So I did, and it's 100% better. The newer ones, of course, just come with the wheel covers.
#75 of 106 Old 02-05-2009, 12:35 PM

Hi Mamas,
Sooo... I've already bought HypnoBabies, and am excited to try it. We're having a hospital birth (I risk out of any MW/HB scenario), and we thought it would be fun to try it, hopefully help with pain management, etc.
Beyond that, I haven't bought anything, but I'm eyeing the Amby/Arm's Reach Cocoon. The Cocoon is definitely in our budget, the Amby definitely isn't. I wish I could get an Amby off of CL, but no one in our area is crunchy enough, and sometimes the shipping off of ebay makes it not a great deal, KWIM?
We are also looking at NB CDs. We started CDing DD when she was 9 months old, so we need newborn CDs stuff- I think I like the look of BG Organic OS, and we need some MEOS covers. I would love to get a GM BBS wrap and a new diaper bag, but those are farther down on my wish list.
The carseat, stroller, highchair, etc. we are planning on reusing.
I love getting ideas from all of you!
~maddymama
#76 of 106 Old 02-05-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

Sigh... guess we'll see what happens!
We can get 3 across in our VW Golf using 2 Radians and 1 Britax marathon. It is tight, but doable. When haveing three in the same row it is much easier to use a harnessed seat. It is nearly impossible to squeeze my hand in to buckle and unbunckle the booster the few times I have had an older child in the car and needed too.
#77 of 106 Old 02-06-2009, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

#78 of 106 Old 02-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Banned

Well, I already know what I need. Some Kissaluvs, covers, baby clothes, and a new carseat.

I need a stroller too.
#79 of 106 Old 02-07-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyinMN View Post
We can get 3 across in our VW Golf using 2 Radians and 1 Britax marathon. It is tight, but doable. When haveing three in the same row it is much easier to use a harnessed seat. It is nearly impossible to squeeze my hand in to buckle and unbunckle the booster the few times I have had an older child in the car and needed too.
I'm impressed! I drive a rabbit/city golf and am glad I've only got to fit 1 in there
#80 of 106 Old 02-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Banned

I have two britax marathons and there's no way I can fit another seat in the car. We drive an Oldsmobile Alero.

I dunno what we are going to do when #3 comes.
#81 of 106 Old 02-07-2009, 03:54 PM

I am so excited! It was yard sale day in my neighborhood and we got a practically new (the woman has only had it for 6 months and they are moving) 3 in 1 crib, matching 5 drawer/2 shelf dresser, mattress, changing pad, Graco Pack n' Play and 4 baby books for $250!! :

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#82 of 106 Old 02-07-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
I have two britax marathons and there's no way I can fit another seat in the car. We drive an Oldsmobile Alero.

I dunno what we are going to do when #3 comes.
Try sunshine kids Radians. They are very narrow. They also puzzle well with a Marathon if they are both FFing or both Rfing. Dh used to drive a 2 door Alero so I know the back seat is tight. 3 Radians would probably work if you can get a good install with them and they fit newborns very well.
#83 of 106 Old 02-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyinMN View Post
Try sunshine kids Radians. They are very narrow. They also puzzle well with a Marathon if they are both FFing or both Rfing. Dh used to drive a 2 door Alero so I know the back seat is tight. 3 Radians would probably work if you can get a good install with them and they fit newborns very well.
That is a thought.

Though likely we will just try to get a car loan for a van.
#84 of 106 Old 02-07-2009, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut Chronicles View Post
I am so excited! It was yard sale day in my neighborhood and we got a practically new (the woman has only had it for 6 months and they are moving) 3 in 1 crib, matching 5 drawer/2 shelf dresser, mattress, changing pad, Graco Pack n' Play and 4 baby books for $250!! :
What a steal! Yay for you!

I convinced SO to buy bebe some Goodmamas while they are on sale bc I will never pay full price. Only catch was we had to get one with airplanes. lol
#85 of 106 Old 02-08-2009, 04:22 AM
Banned

Since this is our first time, I couldn't resist a few gender-neutral articles of clothing. I haven't made any other purchases, I'm waiting for the end of my 2nd trimester to even start.
#86 of 106 Old 02-08-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChichosMama View Post
That is so cute!

Coconut, SCORE!

I am at the point where I want to buy everything but we really don't need anything. I'm forcing myself to wait until we find out the sex. All we really need is maybe another baby carrier (I sold my mei tei and want a new one). I'm still drooling over the Phil & Ted but why does it have to be so freakin expensive?! Maybe I'll watch Craigslist.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#87 of 106 Old 02-26-2009, 06:46 PM

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

#88 of 106 Old 02-26-2009, 07:03 PM

Hi Mamas,
Well, I didn't buy anything recently, but DH has ordered me a GM BBS Aphrodite for my birthday next month!!!! Yippee!!!!!!!!!
~maddymama
#89 of 106 Old 02-26-2009, 07:34 PM

not too much. I have bought a few maternity clothes since some of mine from my last pregnancy no longer fit. A few onesies that were on sale and a few used outfits. I also bought a fisher price rainforest swing that was half off.

Megan: Wife to DH (2-19-09) Mother to DD (3-26-07) and DS (8-14-09) Exclusively breastfeeding, babywearing and cosleeping.
#90 of 106 Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

All I've been doing is shopping! hahahaha I just bought this http://hyenacart.com/prod_details.php?id=30121&vid=526 . I officially have no control of my clicker finger. hahahahaha Ill post pics of the dipes soon. lawlz

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page