Homebirth Mamas UNITE!!! :) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 01-09-2009, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_Mommy View Post
However, where we live Midwifery is mostly illegal (only CNM in hospitals is allowed I think). So we are trying to decide what to do.
Are you still in georgia? My SIL has had at least one homebirth in Georgia, so I know it is legal. I'm just not sure what exactly they had to do.

Proud Army wife and Momma of two.
Jay-my precious boy 2/20/08 & Caroline-my beautiful HBAC baby 8/22/09 :
#32 of 59 Old 01-09-2009, 02:21 PM

From what I know, it's legal to have a HB here, but it's not legal for a Midwife to attend. Which really doesn't make much sense. I'm pretty sure the laws are changing though, and that it will be legal soon. That's what one of my possible MW's told me.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#33 of 59 Old 01-09-2009, 02:32 PM

i want a home water birth. i am seeing my MW for first time next week and while i ws filling hte form today i asked the receptionist what the MW was like with HB's and she said it will be fine and wont be problem.

im a little worried about being pit reliant, i had a cold induction with mu 1st baby, spontanious labour with 2nd, augmentation due to Mec and stalling at 3cm for number 2 and pit augmenation due to stalling and blood in the waters with number 4. i am worried at no being able to progress with out help, but i know now that with the last on i didnt progress as i was strapped to a bed for hours on end, it can be coinsidence she was born less than an hours after i was sat up for epidural placement. if only i had been "allowed" to get up and move i would of been OK, same with baby 3.

i am concerend that i wil be told "you cant have a home birth for X Y Z reason" and am looking into the validity of those reasons.

my kids can be there if they want, and im going to ask my sister if she wants to come too, she will be 18 when i deliver.

i am crossing my fingers this baby comes on or very close to their due date, because f its late by more than 2 weeks im cutting in to the school year and thats bad for these reasons
1) i may get arrested for assault if some one asks me "have you not had that baby yet!" err yeah i did but i didnt like it so i put it back!!!! Kidding, i wont hurt them, just astound them with my dry wit. or confuse them, depends on who it is!
or 2) DS2 starts school for the first time and its going to be a big thing for him to deal with, add in a new sibling and the boy who is a handfull by himself is going to be even more of a challenge!
3) i already have a September birhday, i dont want 2 in the same month.

but at he end of the day, its not up to me when baby is born, they will be born when they are born.

Kiz
#34 of 59 Old 01-09-2009, 05:44 PM

I, too, was born at home and saw my brothers born at home - so where else would I give birth? Both my boys were born at home. This one will be, too - barring real emergency, and my list of true emergencies is SHORT - and they all require c/s to resolve (just like someone else on here . . . )

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#35 of 59 Old 01-09-2009, 05:55 PM

I've had a hospital birth and then two amazing homebirths! The first one the midwife made it by 3 minutes and with my last son my husband delivered him because the midwife didn't make it on time.

We're hoping that this one the midwife will be present. We loved the experience with our last birth but it was a little too stressful for us!

I'm so glad that this group was formed! It's nice to talk with like-minded Mamas!

Stay At Home Mama to Three Sons (11, 9, and 8.)  Many, many miscarriages in the past 8 years.  chicken3.gif
#36 of 59 Old 01-09-2009, 06:59 PM

Like a pp, I labored in the birthing tub for about five hours and then got out for about an hour of pushing. I just couldn't keep my footing in the water. Does anybody have experience with the soft inflatable tub without the heater that has handles? The name is escaping me right now, but I'm curious if I'd be more successful pushing with the handles to hold onto as I'd love to achieve the actual water birth this time. I used the aquadoula tub with the hard sides and the heater which didn't work anyway, but I'm less concerned about heating the water in August than December.

Oh, but I wanted to point out for any first-timers that five hours in a birthing tub = no tearing!

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

#37 of 59 Old 01-09-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbabymama View Post
Oh, but I wanted to point out for any first-timers that five hours in a birthing tub = no tearing!
That is really good to know!

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#38 of 59 Old 01-09-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbabymama View Post
Like a pp, I labored in the birthing tub for about five hours and then got out for about an hour of pushing. I just couldn't keep my footing in the water. Does anybody have experience with the soft inflatable tub without the heater that has handles? The name is escaping me right now, but I'm curious if I'd be more successful pushing with the handles to hold onto as I'd love to achieve the actual water birth this time. I used the aquadoula tub with the hard sides and the heater which didn't work anyway, but I'm less concerned about heating the water in August than December.

That's the LeBassine. No experience with it, but it seems like the handles would be really helpful for traction. That's what i'll be renting if I decide not to go with a certain MW who has 3 Aquadoulas she lets her clients use.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).

#39 of 59 Old 01-09-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama*pisces View Post
That's the LeBassine. No experience with it, but it seems like the handles would be really helpful for traction. That's what i'll be renting if I decide not to go with a certain MW who has 3 Aquadoulas she lets her clients use.
She may also be thinking of the Birth Pool in a Box. The midwife I apprentice with owns several of these that she loans to her clients/rents to her non-clients, and they're really nice. I plan to have a baby in one, come August.
#40 of 59 Old 01-09-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpajama View Post
She may also be thinking of the Birth Pool in a Box. The midwife I apprentice with owns several of these that she loans to her clients/rents to her non-clients, and they're really nice. I plan to have a baby in one, come August.
Also wanted to add that another nice feature of this particular pool is that it has an inflatable seat in it. Most of our clients end up giving birth on hands and knees (often sort of hanging their upper body on the side of the tub, and sometimes using those handles we were talking about), but immediately after the birth, it's often nice for them to be able to sit on that little seat. It puts them up out of the water just a bit, so that nursing is easier, or just cradling their babies naturally works better (without putting the baby under water).
#41 of 59 Old 01-09-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpajama View Post
Also wanted to add that another nice feature of this particular pool is that it has an inflatable seat in it. Most of our clients end up giving birth on hands and knees (often sort of hanging their upper body on the side of the tub, and sometimes using those handles we were talking about), but immediately after the birth, it's often nice for them to be able to sit on that little seat. It puts them up out of the water just a bit, so that nursing is easier, or just cradling their babies naturally works better (without putting the baby under water).
Ohhh - I hadn't even heard of that one....sounds even better than the LeBassine! Are they very expensive to rent? I might be tempted to rent one anyway, even if I do go with the MW that has the Aquadoulas.

#42 of 59 Old 01-09-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama*pisces View Post
Ohhh - I hadn't even heard of that one....sounds even better than the LeBassine! Are they very expensive to rent? I might be tempted to rent one anyway, even if I do go with the MW that has the Aquadoulas.
I don't know--I suppose it depends who's renting it to you. I wouldn't expect it to cost much. They also sell a sort of vinyl liner that goes in it (it has cut-outs for the handles and fits so nicely you don't notice it's there) which makes clean-up a breeze.

Here is a picture of one, with the liner in. The only difference I see is that the seats in ours are blue--not brown.

They sell a "personal use" one (that's the one that I linked to), or they sell a "commercial use" one that is for midwives or someone who intends to rent them out. My preceptor has a few "commercial" ones, and a couple "personal" ones. We haven't had any problems with the commercial ones, and the personal ones held up for quite a few births (and being lugged from client to client, et cetera) before they both developed slow (air, not water!) leaks.
#43 of 59 Old 01-09-2009, 11:45 PM

Me too! Me too!

My husband is really excited about it, and although we don't know where we'll be living (and therefore we can't start looking for a mw) but I have resources bookmarked in all four possible locations!

This is our first child, so we're really happy and just can't wait!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#44 of 59 Old 01-10-2009, 01:16 AM

I'm risked out of birth center birth because of the c/s scar.
I'm risked out of HB because of twins.

I don't know what I'm going to do. Any ideas?

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#45 of 59 Old 01-10-2009, 01:20 AM

I am having a homebirth. My DD was born as a UC, but this one will be MW attended.

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
#46 of 59 Old 01-10-2009, 01:25 AM
Banned

I would be if SO wasn't transferinh in JULY! So a freestanding birthcenter it is. Its still bettr for me than a hosp.
#47 of 59 Old 01-10-2009, 02:55 PM

I am planning a HB this time around. I just have to be super careful diet-wise and stuff to keep the cholestasis away. Last time I had it and had to be induced at 36 weeks. Luckily, we kept all docs and nurses out of the room, and birthed in the peace, quiet, and darkness, and amazingly dd was all ready to breath on her own so we were never separated. Anyways this time around I'm taking liver support VERY seriously and making sure I exercise and eat really well, and I'm optimistic that I will avoid cholestasis. I didn't have it with my first two pregnancies, just my third.

Anyways that was long winded but yeah, we're planning on a beautiful home birth!
#48 of 59 Old 01-10-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labortrials View Post

I'm sorry mama. If it were me I'd find a great hospital MW to go to (ask around in the doula community to find out who is truly natural birth friendly) then I'd hire a HB MW as my labor doula and labor at home for a long time and go into the hospital towards the end. Here in FL we get risked out for twins too so I'm scared I'll find out I'm having twins and be risked out.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#49 of 59 Old 01-10-2009, 07:16 PM

Jillian, thanks for the response. I won't bother with a CNM b/c since I'm also a VBAC, a CNM would have to be backed up by an OB on the hospital campus. Our birth center just lost their OB - he died unexpectedly at age 51. But I'm hoping that they'll hire an OB who's not afraid of childbirth.

The woman I would have hired to be my HBMW does doula as well. When she gets back from her oversees vaca, I'll give her my news and ask her about attending me as a doula.

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#50 of 59 Old 01-12-2009, 01:31 PM

Count me in. Baby number two and homebirth number two!
And my midwife will still take me even if I have twins- unless there are other complications, of course.
#51 of 59 Old 01-12-2009, 03:19 PM

My first appointment with the our hb midwife is next Wednesday! I can't wait!
#52 of 59 Old 01-12-2009, 04:13 PM

We will be this time as well. I just talked to the insurance today and they will cover it. I was surprised b/c they are a national compnay with a rep for not covering hb. But it should be good. We met with the midwife last week. We willa ctually be moving halfway through so she will won't be our birth midwife, but she is a good start.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#53 of 59 Old 01-27-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labortrials View Post

i don't know what kind of twins you are having, but if it was safe maybe uc?
#54 of 59 Old 01-28-2009, 01:00 AM

Count me in for a HB! This is HB #2 for me and I'm really excited. I'm not sure if I want to rent a tub...last time I never had the urge to get in it and everything went soooooo fast at the end. I don't really have a desire to give birth in one, but for laboring it might be a nice option if my labor is more drawn out this time.

Mama to two girls 12/05 and 8/09

#55 of 59 Old 01-29-2009, 07:51 PM

Hi everyone. This will be my second home birth DH is adamantly for it, so that's nice.

I worked as an assistant to a CNM for several years, and we did a set of twins. So some midwives will do it. Actually, that mama was very sweet and let like 5 other MWs come to the birth so they could learn. It was quite a party. Anyway, if home birth is what's on your mind and heart, I say call around. All they can do is say "no." Good luck!

Lucy, mama to Silas and Adelaide
#56 of 59 Old 01-29-2009, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone already thinking supplies? I know I want some depends this time. I hated those gigantic pads, they slipped and leaked. Not sure what things I will actually GET off the list this time. My midwife said I din't NEED to get the kit this time, she has all of the stuff handy...

Anyone have something at a previous homebirth they couldn't have done without?
#57 of 59 Old 01-30-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Anyone have something at a previous homebirth they couldn't have done without?
Peri bottle!
BIG underpads for the floor

I also like the pads you can get online that get cold. You just twist it and it becomes a handy, absorbent ice pack for your heiney. Cascade health products has them.

Lucy, mama to Silas and Adelaide
#58 of 59 Old 01-30-2009, 05:03 PM

inhishands has great supplies. And they have the cold pack pads, those are great!!
Rebecca
#59 of 59 Old 01-30-2009, 08:01 PM

We are also having a home birth! Husband is not entirely in unison with me on the plans but has agreed to allow me to do what I feel is best.
I am excited. We found out he is a boy, and I truly love our doctor, but I feel I must have him at home. So I am on the quest to find a midwife!
Excited to meet my little angel in comfortable surroundings, with my family and friends nearby.
(also, I live a block from my hospital which makes me happy knowing if something is in need of attention, we are right around the corner!)

Married to my best friend, and favorite person in the world... Proud 1st time mama to our son, Conway James. Born July 29th!::::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page