*~ Weekly chat thread Jan 10-16 ~* - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 108 Old 01-13-2009, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know Stacey - but I've been totally guilty of letting ds watch more tv then usual these days. NOT more than two hours a day, usually just an hour and a half, but still - I don't like it. I try to balance it out with outside time when it's not too cold, and plenty of interaction besides that, but I have been in total veg out mode, so when he comes insisting for that "one more show", it's hard not to just say ok.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#62 of 108 Old 01-13-2009, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stacey I hope your u/s goes well! I feel bad for my kids too because I am just so tired and feel gross a lot of the time. I wish I could take them out more to run around and play but I just can't. The good thing is it will pass soon and we'll all have our energy back. I think this is nature's way of preparing us and our babes for what life will be like when another baby comes along. When I was preg with DS2 I bought some leapfrog letter and talking word factory movies (cheap on ebay) for my almost 4 year old and he watched them often. I know the extra TV was not the best for him but he learned to read!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#63 of 108 Old 01-13-2009, 06:51 PM

Thanks guys. I guess the guilt comes from him being so young and these being his formative years...yada yada. I am sure I probably put too much pressure on myself.

So, yea! I just got back from the u/s and it was wonderful! My due date is right on. The little baby has a nice, strong, healthy heartbeat. Everything looks great! And the obg-yn was so nice. She supported my choice for homebirth, was kind and gentle and very helpful, and made me feel comfortable. Plus, I found out it is okay to not lie to them about having a hb. I can still come in for the 20 week ultrasound without seeing them otherwise.

The u/s made it so much more real to me. My baby is inside me! Plus, I think I must have been a little worried about the health of this baby, and while we can't see anything but it's growth, the growth looks great.

AND, thank goodness! It is not twins
#64 of 108 Old 01-13-2009, 09:32 PM

Stacey that's great :
#65 of 108 Old 01-13-2009, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats on a good ultrasound and a HB supportive OB! That is certainly uncommon!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#66 of 108 Old 01-13-2009, 11:59 PM

I just posted a paper that I wrote many years ago about the medicalization of childbirth if anyone wants to read it, it's in my blog http://allmybabybirds.blogspot.com/ I site Peggy Vincent's book Baby Catchers and now I want to go read it again, that was a good book I highy suggest!

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#67 of 108 Old 01-14-2009, 02:55 AM
Banned

Had my first appt. today. Loved it! Although the sticking sucked. lol I go back for an U/S thurs. to det the due date down. She was sooo gentle during my pap! I didn't even spot afterward! She encouraged SO and me to look at my cervix. I had to tell her to stop making me laugh or the speculum was gonna come shooting out. lol. Wonderful first experience!
#68 of 108 Old 01-14-2009, 03:55 AM

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).

#69 of 108 Old 01-14-2009, 02:12 PM

Hey Mamas,
So glad that everyone's appts. went well yesterday. I am seeing a MW for the first time tomorrow so I'm pretty excited about that.

The MS seems to be slowing down - not that it was ever awful to begin with but it seems to be getting some better as does the utter exhaustion. I'll be 10 weeks tomorrow.

I finally told one person at work so that was kind of exciting. She was thrilled which was very sweet. I hadn't wanted to tell her as she just had a MC at 6 weeks recently but she kind of guessed and she couldn't have been sweeter about it. I'm still going to wait to tell boss, etc. until early Feb. I think...

I hear you on the parenting challenges. My DS is 4 and going through a really challenging phase which makes my shortened patience and exhaustion even harder. I just don't have it in me to argue with him about things but I also don't have enough oomph to really play with him. I feel guilty about it but I also know that I'm doing the best I can and he's fine overall. This too shall pass as they say.

BTW, Stacey, I was looking at Elijah's blog and the skiing pics made me smile. I grew up in Colorado and started skiing at Keystone when I was 3. I have great memories of those times. It was so sweet to see him in those tiny skis.

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

#70 of 108 Old 01-14-2009, 05:01 PM

Jenn-we really planned on taking Elijah up all the time this season. But I got pregnant and had to turn in my season pass. So he is only going every once in awhile with his dad. He is already obsessed with skiing. Growing up in Colorado, I am sure he will be an expert snowboarder or skiier some day. Lucky him!
#71 of 108 Old 01-14-2009, 05:19 PM

Hi everyone. I'm on the early side for this DDC, but I've never seen my official due date in my previous 4 pregnancies, and I'm carrying twins this time - so I don't think I'll be making it to September 3rd anyway! I'm just about 7 weeks now with fraternal twins (ovulated from both sides due to the stress of my grandmother's death - thanks grandma for the great goodbye gift!). I'm really in a rough place right now hoping and hoping that both babies make it through this fragile time. At the ultrasound on Monday one baby had a small, compressed sac and the doctor basically declared him/her dead - without even measuring the fetal pole or checking for a heartbeat. I was too in shock to press for it, but I'm recovered now and have requested a more detailed scan on Friday. The first baby did measure on for dates and had a strong heartbeat, so that's a relief at least. I suspect the smaller baby implanted late, on 13dpo, compared to 6dpo when I felt the first baby (my ovaries did a progesterone tango back and forth on those days, another tip-off for double ovulation). So my fingers and toes and everything I have are crossed that they are both healthy and going to make to my arms. Your positive thoughts would be so appreciated.

Physically I'm feeling fine, I don't typically react too much to the changing pregnancy hormones. A little bit of mild nausea, some bloating, and milk supply dropping off already. I'm nursing all three of my kids still (4.5, 3.5, and 11 months old). My main symptom so far is that I'm intensely hungry all the time - even through the night. Hopefully that's a good sign I'm sure if these two beans both stick around I'll be sporting a HUGE belly quite soon since I carry large early on typically anyway. I'm hiding my pregnancy from work for as long as possible so that should be interesting . . .
#72 of 108 Old 01-14-2009, 05:37 PM

welcome hennalady! Finger's crossed that the next scan brings the answers you need!

I'm starting to feel a bit better... yesterday was really hard in terms of tummy ick, but today I actually ate a muffin and it tasted good! I'm not going to jinx myself I hope, but maybe the tide is turning? I'm in the middle of the 9th week I think so maybe?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#73 of 108 Old 01-14-2009, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome Henna! I'm hoping for the best for your sweet little twins. I hope baby b is doing well.

I think I'm feeling slightly better too. I'm scared to even say it out of fear of jinxing myself. But the last two days have been more manageable. I'm just a little over 8 weeks. I swear I feel pokes at night when laying down now too. It is sooo early but they are so low and different than gas bubbles so I'm pretty sure it is my little one

#74 of 108 Old 01-14-2009, 06:24 PM

I'm soooo happy after my u/s today. I'm measuring right around 9weeks 5 days with a heartbeat of 180. It was such an amazing moment and I fell so in love.

Button 08-12-09 

Baby Vi 05-18-11

#75 of 108 Old 01-14-2009, 07:36 PM

Welcome HennaLady! I hope that everything goes well with your twins!

Hopefully, we'll all be out of the ickies in the next few weeks...

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#76 of 108 Old 01-14-2009, 07:51 PM

Ah well, jinx! I'm back to ick. Sigh. But there were a couple good hours today and that's the longest "ok" spell so this has GOT to be easing up.

My first real appointment is tomorrow.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#77 of 108 Old 01-14-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Sun View Post
Does anyone else feel like they have not been as good of mom as they usually are? I have been a little more snappy and it is not fair to my almost four year old. Does nayone have any tricks to stopping yourself and switching back to normal with your dc? Or something other than movies that could give me an immediate break when I am feeling to snappy?
Ditto. Luckily my amazing DH is really taking up the slack. I don't really have any tricks for stopping the mommy monster. Wish I did. I'm sure my DH would like to have his wife back too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama*pisces View Post
but I have been in total veg out mode, so when he comes insisting for that "one more show", it's hard not to just say ok.
Totally!

Quote:
So, yea! I just got back from the u/s and it was wonderful! My due date is right on. The little baby has a nice, strong, healthy heartbeat. Everything looks great! And the obg-yn was so nice. She supported my choice for homebirth, was kind and gentle and very helpful, and made me feel comfortable. Plus, I found out it is okay to not lie to them about having a hb. I can still come in for the 20 week ultrasound without seeing them otherwise.

AND, thank goodness! It is not twins
Hey, watch it. Wow, that's awesome that you're not having to lie to an OB about homebirth. Will she back you up too if you need to transfer???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomommy1122 View Post
I just posted a paper that I wrote many years ago about the medicalization of childbirth if anyone wants to read it, it's in my blog http://allmybabybirds.blogspot.com/ I site Peggy Vincent's book Baby Catchers and now I want to go read it again, that was a good book I highy suggest!
Oo, excellent. Have you read "Born In the USA?" Pretty friggin' strong book. I haven't read Baby Catchers. Might need to for inspiration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChichosMama View Post
Had my first appt. today. Loved it! Although the sticking sucked. lol I go back for an U/S thurs. to det the due date down. She was sooo gentle during my pap! I didn't even spot afterward! She encouraged SO and me to look at my cervix. I had to tell her to stop making me laugh or the speculum was gonna come shooting out. lol. Wonderful first experience!
Whoa, wait, you saw your cervix?

Quote:
Jenn-we really planned on taking Elijah up all the time this season. But I got pregnant and had to turn in my season pass. So he is only going every once in awhile with his dad. He is already obsessed with skiing. Growing up in Colorado, I am sure he will be an expert snowboarder or skiier some day. Lucky him!
I learned to ski as an adult, really. I married into a family of expert skiers, so the learning curve was steep. I am bummed I don't get to ski this season. We were visiting family in Denver over Christmas, and DD went up to Winterpark for her first ski lesson. She did great, evidently. I'm so sad I missed it. I imagine that I won't be able to ski again next season... DH would kill me. He'll probably be a SAHD with 2-3 kids every day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennaLady View Post
I'm hiding my pregnancy from work for as long as possible so that should be interesting . . .
I think that was real "jerky" of your CP. I'm glad you're getting another scan on Friday. I really hope everything turns out well for both little beans. By 6-1/2 to 7 weeks, we saw measurable heartbeats, the yolk sacs, and the babies. Hoping you will too!!!
Oh, and I'm hiding mine from work too. At least for another couple of weeks. It's tough though b/c I see a number of these folks socially, and the fact that I'm not drinking will be a dead giveaway. So, I'm avoiding them. LoL!

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#78 of 108 Old 01-14-2009, 10:43 PM

Lol labortrials - you are like the super 'mad' quoter chick of the day.

And I'm totally laughing at myself over here - up until now I was reading your screen name as "labrotorials" and I was kinda wondering what that meant. It made me think of you being a scientist working in a laboratory or something. Then when I went to spell your name out just now I went back and looked at the exact spelling for the first time, and was like, OH!

#79 of 108 Old 01-14-2009, 10:52 PM

Stacey, I've totally been plunking Nikita in front of Yo Gabba DVDs lately. We don't have cable, but she gets to watch movies...ideally not this frequently, though. We do what we can, right?

Have you been skiing since you got pg? I rode at...I think 10 weeks last time? Only VT, so the altitude wasn't evil. Took it easy, and it was soft springtime bumps and 60 degrees so totally tranquilo. It was the last time I was up there, too. Last winter my LO was too small and attached to me to make it worth going, and we didn't make it up before I found out this year. I'm sorely missing it.

So, I went for my nuchal ultrasound yesterday and while my dates put me at 12 weeks today, I only measured at 11 weeks 1 day and unfortunately too small for the nuchal test (though I heard the heartbeat and got pictures ). So I have to go back next week. But I knew it, I always run to long cycles and Nikita was considered 6 days postdates though she came on exactly the day I expected her based on my 33 day cycle. My fetus is now 98 weeks, 2 days. So when I run the calculator for this baby, I get an EDD of 8/3 which I'm sticking with. I can finally sign my name to the roll call sticky!

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

#80 of 108 Old 01-14-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labortrials View Post
Oo, excellent. Have you read "Born In the USA?" Pretty friggin' strong book. I haven't read Baby Catchers. Might need to for inspiration!
Baby Catchers is amazing! There are a few stories the squeamish may opt to skip, but it made me cry. Then again, I was pregnant.

#81 of 108 Old 01-14-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbabymama View Post
So, I went for my nuchal ultrasound yesterday and while my dates put me at 12 weeks today, I only measured at 11 weeks 1 day and unfortunately too small for the nuchal test
they wouldn't do the test at 11+1? they told me any time between 11-13 weeks. I had mine today at 11+3...

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#82 of 108 Old 01-14-2009, 11:51 PM

HennaLady ~ Hoping everything goes well with your babies. Maybe the baby was just a late implanter.

Olives, ChichosMama, Spring Sun and if I forgot anyone ~ Congrats on the wonderful u/s and seeing your babies!

brooklynbabymama ~ Man that is a bummer about you nuchal scan. I have mine tomorrow and will be 11 weeks and 2 days. Strange that their making you come back but I would not worry about it all. Enjoy seeing your baby again.

wombatclay and JuniperMama ~ Good luck tomorrow!

ohiomommy1122 and mama*pisces ~ When I have more time I will read your blog posts. I love to see, learn from and understand people from their blogs.

Hi to everyone else!

I am feeling ok. I have been having a hard time sleeping at night. It seems like if I get woken up it takes me forever to get back to bed. We are so cold here tomorrow the high is perdicted as -1, ugh. It is really windy so the snow is just drifting all over the place.

Tomorrow is my nt scan so I am praying everything is ok. My dh and I have very dear friends who are older (like dh and I) and found out their baby had trisomy 18. Their choice to have early screening really prepared them for their beautiful baby girl Faith. They really honored her life during and after the pregnancy. They are amazing parents and treasured her during her short time on this earth. So for me this nt scan is a hard pill to swallow but I want to be there the whole time for my child if I have a similiar diagnosis. Well I hope I did not share too much but am praying everything goes well tomorrow.
#83 of 108 Old 01-15-2009, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedlings View Post
Tomorrow is my nt scan so I am praying everything is ok. My dh and I have very dear friends who are older (like dh and I) and found out their baby had trisomy 18. Their choice to have early screening really prepared them for their beautiful baby girl Faith. They really honored her life during and after the pregnancy. They are amazing parents and treasured her during her short time on this earth. So for me this nt scan is a hard pill to swallow but I want to be there the whole time for my child if I have a similiar diagnosis. Well I hope I did not share too much but am praying everything goes well tomorrow.
I hope your scan goes well tomorrow! What a sad story about your friend and their sweet baby Faith. I completely relate to your feelings and would do the same. Let us know how the scan goes, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything is just perfect!

#84 of 108 Old 01-15-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Lol labortrials - you are like the super 'mad' quoter chick of the day.

And I'm totally laughing at myself over here - up until now I was reading your screen name as "labrotorials" and I was kinda wondering what that meant. It made me think of you being a scientist working in a laboratory or something. Then when I went to spell your name out just now I went back and looked at the exact spelling for the first time, and was like, OH!
Ha, well it's how I remember what I want to say to folks. SO BACK OFF! : j/k
And I've had that happen a couple of times - I have made up some pretty funny wrong ones at MDC before. I don't work in a lab though I do fancy myself a scientist of sorts.

Quote:
Baby Catchers is amazing! There are a few stories the squeamish may opt to skip, but it made me cry. Then again, I was pregnant.

Sorry you weren't able to get your nuchal scan done yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedlings View Post
So for me this nt scan is a hard pill to swallow but I want to be there the whole time for my child if I have a similiar diagnosis. Well I hope I did not share too much but am praying everything goes well tomorrow.
I think it's a wonderful outlook. I'm hoping that the diagnosis is a good one; please let us know.

DD is in bed. DH left to go watch a bad movie at our friends' house. House is so nice and quiet. Off to veg...

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#85 of 108 Old 01-15-2009, 02:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
And i'm totally laughing at myself over here - up until now i was reading your screen name as "labrotorials" and i was kinda wondering what that meant. It made me think of you being a scientist working in a laboratory or something. Then when i went to spell your name out just now i went back and looked at the exact spelling for the first time, and was like, oh!
omg me too! Ahahahahha
#86 of 108 Old 01-15-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChichosMama View Post
omg me too! Ahahahahha
You guys are not alone!! I did this as well!!!

Bec, Married eternally to Dan for ten years. Parents to A (8/17/06) O (12/30/09) one love lost (2/07/09) and my little twin angels (9/24/11, 10/11/11)

#87 of 108 Old 01-15-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
they wouldn't do the test at 11+1? they told me any time between 11-13 weeks. I had mine today at 11+3...
I know, I was grumbling about it. But I guess the measurement they're looking for has to be at least 4.5mm (if I'm understanding correctly, they spent no time with me on this) and we were only 4.39. Looking back, I had the test at 11.7 weeks with #1, so I figured I should be safe for next Thursday.

#88 of 108 Old 01-15-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I know, I was grumbling about it. But I guess the measurement they're looking for has to be at least 4.5mm (if I'm understanding correctly, they spent no time with me on this) and we were only 4.39. Looking back, I had the test at 11.7 weeks with #1, so I figured I should be safe for next Thursday.
ah, ok. that is the CRL - crown to rump length. Mine was 4.7 something

well, at least you got to see the bean and I'm sure the test will go well next week

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#89 of 108 Old 01-15-2009, 03:40 PM

So my first appointment went well! They (midwife and her student) took blood, did the basic physical stuff (height/weight/bp/pee in a cup/heart/lungs/etc), and chatted for about an hour and a half about my previous births and my general medical history. It was really laid back and nice and they worked around my dd2 who had fallen asleep on my shoulder during the appointment.

And I have to say... instead of an exam table they have a really comfy chaise lounge (those couches with one arm and half a back?) with big pillows. Very nice.

The midwife put little "mobile acupuncture" strips on my wrists to help with the morning sickness (a little bandaid with a tiny needle attached... needle pokes in, bandaid holds it in place, lasts 2-3 days). Oh, and gave me a moxa stick and instructions (she drew on my leg with a marker ) on using it to also reduce morning sickness. Huzzah! Soon I will be eating again (one way or the other since I'm almost 10 weeks).

#90 of 108 Old 01-15-2009, 05:44 PM

Hi All,
I had my 2nd visit with my OB today- heard the heart beat- yippee! Also found out I lost 3 lbs in the past month- oops! Well, I'll gain it back easily once m/s passes in a few weeks (I'm 10 weeks).
Hope you are all doing well,
~maddymama

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page