*~ Weekly chat thread Jan 10-16 ~* - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 108 Old 01-15-2009, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!

Just had midwife appt this morning. Its a CNM practice within my HMO so not as great as doing a HB midwife where you just have one or two people you work with, but it might be a good option for me if I am able to go that route. Because I have high BP, I might be risked out of the MW practice all together and need to see the OBs. She did say they might be able/willing to co-manage my care which would be nice. I have to talk to the OB in a month and then we'll see.

Got to see the bean though via external US instead of trans-vag. That was nice, no more internals! All is looking good! It was measuring 9w4d and I'm about 9w6d so she said that was just fine. The heartrate was in the 160s. Got to see the babe move a bit which was fun and she (hate saying 'it') had her little arms up at one point which was so sweet! The MW said "I see no reason why this babe wouldn't stick." Really nice to hear.

I do need to start taking BP again regularly because it was higher in office and I need a log to show what it is at home.

So that's the scoop. I'm due 8/14ish. Hoping I go a little earlier if possible because DH will go back to school around the 3rd week of August (he's a teacher) and it would be nice for him to get some time at home with the peanut. We'll see though. All things in time...

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

#92 of 108 Old 01-15-2009, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Yay for good appointments today ladies! Congrats!

I had a WIC appointment and I've gained a little over a pound so far. Its amazing that it isn't more because my belly is just hanging out there. I need to take another pic.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#93 of 108 Old 01-15-2009, 07:30 PM

Hi mamas. I am 11 weeks and I have my first midwife appointment in the morning. DH and DS will accompany me. I feel pretty ill, but I'm trying not to complain (to DH and my family, that is).

The CPM I'm going to see is the only midwife in town. I have talked to her a bunch but I'm still a tad nervous. My son was born in TX with a CNM who was also my mentor and friend for 5 years. I did the quality assurance at her birth center so I had a copy of the practice protocols to read for myself, and a very inside view in general. Now I have firm ideas about what I like and don't in terms of care. I want to be a little flexible, but I also don't b/c, well, I am the client and it's my birth Anyway....we'll see how it goes.

Quote:
Tomorrow is my nt scan so I am praying everything is ok. My dh and I have very dear friends who are older (like dh and I) and found out their baby had trisomy 18. Their choice to have early screening really prepared them for their beautiful baby girl Faith. They really honored her life during and after the pregnancy. They are amazing parents and treasured her during her short time on this earth. So for me this nt scan is a hard pill to swallow but I want to be there the whole time for my child if I have a similiar diagnosis. Well I hope I did not share too much but am praying everything goes well tomorrow.
Thanks for sharing this

Lucy, mama to Silas and Adelaide
#94 of 108 Old 01-15-2009, 07:48 PM

I just attempted to do a half hour pre-natal yoga video with a toddler bouncing off the walls around me. And sometimes off me. Ha! I got about halfway through , I think, before I got frustrated as I tried to go back a little to the beginning of a pose - it brought me all the way back to the beginning, so I had to start all over. :

I guess I'll be doing my yoga after my ds is asleep. But even those 15 minutes did me some good - I need some serious help in the flexibility department.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#95 of 108 Old 01-15-2009, 08:27 PM

I just started a belly dance class and yeah... even just a little seemed to go a long way. I've danced (middle eastern and more recently ATS) for over 10 years now, but since dd1 arrived I haven't done and formal classes. This class is very very basic but also nice and gentle (it's actually an intro class with a teacher I studied with for 4 years, but a group of my friends wanted to learn and this seemed like it would be "pregnant lady gentle" as well as "getting out of the house with friends and without kids").

The midwife I'm seeing has a "point system" set up with some of the other holistic health providers around town... each client gets 6 or 7 "points" that can be cashed in during the pregnancy. So an hour of pregnancy massage, a one hour reiki session, 4 1.5 hour long prenatal yoga classes (those are all 2 points each)... or you can cash in a bigger amount and attend Birthing From Within, Bradley, or independent "holistic birthing" classes (5 points). And her clients get a discount on her acupuncture service... and given how wonky my moon cycles are (always have been) I'm thinking I may stick with her post-babe for some system balancing work (she's certified in acupuncture an CTM).

Sigh... I'm still not excited about a homebirth, but I have to say this pregnancy is looking a heck of a lot more comfy! Now, if I could just get my tummy under control!

The acupuncture bandaids helped, but I had to pull one out since it really hurt every time I lifted dd2 (she likes to "sit" in that arm and she'd press really hard on the needle). I'll let people know how the moxa goes tonight... she suggested having DH hold the moxa since that way I can relax a bit more so I have to wait till the girls are out for the night.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#96 of 108 Old 01-15-2009, 09:09 PM

I'm lucky if I can make it to the YMCA once a week

Lucy, mama to Silas and Adelaide
#97 of 108 Old 01-15-2009, 10:59 PM

Very cool Wombat - I'm going to look into getting some belly dancing dvds. I hear doing that is great for preparing your body for labor.

And I love that point system you get to take part of! How cool is that! I'm meeting the midwife I'm probably going to go with tomorrow - hoping she has something like that, but I probably won't be that lucky.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).

#98 of 108 Old 01-15-2009, 11:41 PM

wombat, I took a belly dance class with one of my girlfriends and just loved it. You'll have so much fun! Our instructor mentioned that it was great for lining baby up (we weren't pg at the time)
#99 of 108 Old 01-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Banned

Love all the happy updates!!!

Belly dancing sounds like a good time! I must look into this!
#100 of 108 Old 01-16-2009, 04:47 AM

Belly dancing is awesome! I have been dancing for almost three years in several styles. I really want the pregnancy video! Some of the moves are already helping the pains in my back and hips. Yippee!

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#101 of 108 Old 01-16-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
The midwife I'm seeing has a "point system" set up with some of the other holistic health providers around town... each client gets 6 or 7 "points" that can be cashed in during the pregnancy. So an hour of pregnancy massage, a one hour reiki session, 4 1.5 hour long prenatal yoga classes (those are all 2 points each)... or you can cash in a bigger amount and attend Birthing From Within, Bradley, or independent "holistic birthing" classes (5 points). And her clients get a discount on her acupuncture service... and given how wonky my moon cycles are (always have been) I'm thinking I may stick with her post-babe for some system balancing work (she's certified in acupuncture an CTM).
How cool is this!!??!! Let us know how the alternative ms treatments work for you.

Here's a link to a prenatal belly dancing video that I've thought about buying. Anyone know anything about it?

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#102 of 108 Old 01-16-2009, 10:54 PM

Belly dance kicks butt. I've been studying belly dance since '93 (the woman teaching this class is the woman I took my first classes with oh so many moons ago ) and although I was initially trained in very classic/traditional belly dance I've developed a HUGE fascination with American Tribal Style and Tribal Fusion. I adore Rachel Brice and Sharon Kihara. MMMmmmm...

I don't know if anyone here followed the Pagan Summer Camp this past summer, but I "hosted" a week and every day I included belly dance "stuff". If you search the pagan resource thread over in Spirituality you'll find the link, but if you search YouTube you can find some amazing pregnant dancers. It's really inspiring!

And yes, belly dance is a wonderful way to prepare for birth... if you've never danced then go slow and gentle and don't do anything that feels funky (you'll probably want to avoid hip twists and really fast shimmies) but there are some great prenatal videos (that same thread had links) though I've never used a specifically prenatal dance dvd so I don't know how good they are.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#103 of 108 Old 01-16-2009, 11:35 PM

I've decided on a midwife!! :

She was recommended to me by four different mamas - I finally met with her today, and there is no doubt in my mind that she is who I'm supposed to birth with. She's a little older(I'm actually her oldest daughter's age, let's put it that way ), and I originally thought that I wanted someone younger, but she's awesome. She's the most expensive one out of all three I interviewed(though not by much, only 200 more than the second one I interviewed), but her price includes a birth tub that I can use - of choice even. I was kinda surprised at that, I wasn't expecting to meet more than one midwife that had tubs for her clients to use. That was kinda the deal closer for me I think, though I think I would have liked her the best either way.

SO excited! But now, my appointment's been pushed back. I was going to go to my first appt with the other MW this coming Tuesday. I have to go on either a Tuesday or a Sunday, so dh can come with me, and she's not available until a week from this Sunday. But that's not too far off.

The only thing I'm slightly disappointed about is that she generally listens to the heartbeat with a fetoscope, which I do prefer over a doppler. But what I didn't know is that you generally can't hear the heartbeat until 20 weeks with the fetoscope. I'm not totally against the idea of using a doppler, so maybe I'll see if she can try with a doppler at least just once - I have a pregnant friend that had one rented out, but not sure if she still has it or not. I don't want to get an ultrasound til 20 weeks, but I'm dying to hear my bebe's heartbeat!

So, anyway, there's my happy news.

#104 of 108 Old 01-17-2009, 12:34 AM

Mia, that's terrific! Must be such a relief to have that figured out!!

DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#105 of 108 Old 01-17-2009, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Congrats Mia! Does she have a doppler? Most MWs use them during labor so I'm pretty sure they all have one. My MW uses a doppler until 20 weeks then switches to a fetoscope, maybe you could ask your MW to do that.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#106 of 108 Old 01-18-2009, 01:03 AM

Yeah, pretty sure she has one. I mentioned wanting to hear the heartbeat soon though, and she said that I would have to get an ultrasound.(?) I don't know, I'll have to ask her again.

#107 of 108 Old 01-18-2009, 11:55 AM

Mia, she should be able to find the HB with doppler around 10 weeks or so. I wonder why she's telling you you'd have to have a u/s!

#108 of 108 Old 01-18-2009, 12:54 PM

Mia that is awesome news!

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page