height of uterus at 11 weeks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-17-2009, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where should your uterus be around 11 weeks? Can anyone else feel where theirs is? I remember going to my midwife at 13.5 weeks with #2 and she said "oh, here it is!" and I was astonished because I couldn't feel it. But I've been really watching and feeling my abdomen nightly when I go to bed and last night it felt like it wasa couple inches below my belly button...which seems kind of high.

I'm one of those mamas with twin dreams, higher hcg, and supreme anxiety about the possibility of twins. I don't go to see the midwife for another 2 weeks and I'm driving myself crazy!!!!!!!

so...the question is where should your uterus come up to around 11 weeks?
lol,
sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#2 of 12 Old 01-17-2009, 05:29 PM

I'm not sure exactly where it SHOULD be, but I am also 11 weeks with my 4th pregnancy (2 m/c though) and mine is about 2 inches above my pubic hairline. I know for sure I only have one baby in there! (U/S) Hope that helps!

Heidi , wife to my DH , mama to Hope Isobel (4/3/06), Molly Grace (7/31/09): , furbaby Callie :
#3 of 12 Old 01-17-2009, 06:01 PM

I think for first timers, it should be right around the pubic bone. but if you've already had a baby, it is normal to be bigger faster?
#4 of 12 Old 01-18-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
I think for first timers, it should be right around the pubic bone. but if you've already had a baby, it is normal to be bigger faster?
I agree. I know that it's sort of "textbook" for the uterus to come just above the pubic bone at 12 weeks, and to reach the umbilicus at about 20 weeks, but if you look, there's another thread started a week or so ago (in this DDC) about this same thing, and lots of mamas saying they're feeling their fundus higher than they would expect to.

I noticed that you're expecting your third--so am I. I'm 10 weeks tomorrow, and I am really terrible at palpating these relatively small uteruses--on myself and others--but I definitely feel it above my pubic bone. I can definitely feel it when I come at it from the sides, but am having a hard time locating the top of it. But I definitely *feel* it, so it isn't entirely inside my pelvis anymore, which makes it higher than it "should" be. But maybe it's sort of like due dates--I think that normal "due dates" often don't apply to first-time moms (not that they apply strictly to *anyone,* but I think they tend to be particularly inaccurate for first-time moms). Maybe these fundal height standards actually favor fist-time moms.

I dunno. But I think it's common--I wouldn't think too much of it.
#5 of 12 Old 01-18-2009, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

The more I tap around my uterus, I'm thinking it's quite close to my belly button--especially on my left side, where I believed that the baby was implanted...of course I don't know for sure on that, but I feel a lot of energy on that side (I can only say that on MDC without getting a funny look)...but maybe I'm totally wrong and I'm just feeling my intestines or something, lol.

sarah

thanks everyone for the imput--keep it coming!

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#6 of 12 Old 01-18-2009, 01:54 PM

This article suggests that although the gestational weeks = # of cm, that it's not as accurate until about 18 weeks. I looked for some other articles and they all seemed to say the same thing.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...40/ai_16722346

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#7 of 12 Old 01-18-2009, 02:31 PM

Mine is a little below my belly button, but I have two in there and it's my 11th pregnancy

Jayme-
Boy13, Boy12, Boy10, Girl7, Girl5, Twin Boys 6/14/09
#8 of 12 Old 01-18-2009, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

applepiebaby--are you around 11 weeks?

This is my 5th pregnancy (2 losses) and I don't remember being this high with either dd or ds. I should just bite it and go get the ultrasound...I'm going a little nuts.

sarah

#9 of 12 Old 01-18-2009, 04:13 PM

I am 12 weeks 1 day

Jayme-
Boy13, Boy12, Boy10, Girl7, Girl5, Twin Boys 6/14/09
#10 of 12 Old 01-18-2009, 07:34 PM

10 weeks and my midwife found it just a hair above the pubic bone. Which she said was totally normal in her experience given this is my third. I think her exact words to the nurse were "yup, about where I'd expect at 10 weeks".

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#11 of 12 Old 01-19-2009, 05:25 PM

I'm 10.5 weeks with my 5th baby. My fundus is about 4 finger widths below my belly button - right where it should be. BTW, you really have to push in hard to feel it.

Robin and dh-Mark married 1997
Kiana - 1999, Quinn - 2002, Ciela - 2004, Carina - 2006 and Sullivan born 8-18-09
#12 of 12 Old 01-27-2009, 06:57 PM

mine is a couple of inches below my belly button too. i am pretty sure that there is only one in there because i have only been able to find one heartbeat with the doppler. it is my 4th that has stuck, my 7th total. I am pretty sure there is lots of room in there though because i can tell when baby moves to the back or down lower. I have been able to find really lumpy shapes at times when it feels like he/she is nearer to the top and front. I can't feel the motion yet, but i can tell what is where.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page