anyone going for NO genetic screening? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 02-05-2009, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
How could downs be missed in CVS? that is an actual genetic test, not a screening, they look at the pairs of chromosomes.
Oops, my bad. I always get CVS confused with AFP (that is the name of the blood test that screens for downs, and neural tube defects, right?).

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 57 Old 02-05-2009, 04:31 PM

ahh. yup, AFP is one of the blood tests, that makes more sense

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#33 of 57 Old 02-05-2009, 09:10 PM

We've had the NT ultrasound and one set of bloodwork, the second set will be done in 2 weeks, for results in week 16. I'll have an amnio if needed beyond that.

One factor that is important to us: if there is a detected issue, in many cases the baby can have surgery or treatment immediately at birth that can improve quality of life or even save their life. We want to know so that we can be armed with that knowledge to help give the baby the best start.

I'll be 39 when I give birth--my prior births were at 28 and 32--and we did standard bloodwork + 18 week ultrasounds before.
#34 of 57 Old 02-06-2009, 10:14 AM

I don't do all that testing... I am very surprised by all the nuchal scans actually. I have never been offered that at my midwives office... Just an AFP which I always refuse.
#35 of 57 Old 02-06-2009, 04:30 PM

We refuse all testing too but we are getting the 20w U/S...
#36 of 57 Old 02-06-2009, 08:44 PM

No screening or ultrasounds here. I dont want anything to marr mine and the baby's time together and I would keep any baby regardless of possible problems.
#37 of 57 Old 02-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Banned

No AFP screen here. I think the rate of false positives is just too high. And my chances of having a baby with any of those problems is very low. My main concern is the baby having a problem that would impede vagnial birth, like spinal bifida or something, but I'm having an u/s at 20 weeks to check the anatomy, so I'm really not all that concerned.

ETA: Oh, I'm also not getting the GD screen either. I'm done with that torture Another test with a lot of false positives that I likely will not need.
#38 of 57 Old 02-08-2009, 01:47 AM

i'm 32, and 14 weeks pregnant with #2. with my dd, i had an afp test. i was so scared and was relieved that it came negative. this time around i am not taking any tests, except for ultrasounds. at least we couldactually see the baby. now way would i ever get an amnio, or cvs test. anything too invasive is a no go.
#39 of 57 Old 02-08-2009, 03:04 AM

I have my AFP scheduled for next week (at 16 weeks), Dr said it was entirely elective, and completely up to me. I agreed at the time (i was still glowing from being told my little one was a boy so I would've agreed to anything at that point) , but he completely seemed very nonchalant about it. Just very "if you would feel more comfortable, theres this test, nonevasive to the baby. simply blood test".. So he gave me the paperwork.
I am really on the fence on if I want to or not.
I am switching to a midwife as soon as I find one that I connect with, even though my dr is a very good guy. And Im very comfortable with him..
Should I skip the AFP? Opinions?

Married to my best friend, and favorite person in the world... Proud 1st time mama to our son, Conway James. Born July 29th!::::
#40 of 57 Old 02-08-2009, 04:16 AM
Banned

After all the blood draws, pokes, ultrasounds, etc for my bleeding early on, I have just said NO to everything else. I do plan to have the 20 week ultrasound because I have a selfish desire to know what I'm having (I want to call them by their chosen names and buy a few gender-specific items), but other than that, I don't care what they come out like, so I'm not doing any more than that.
#41 of 57 Old 02-08-2009, 04:54 PM

I do the 18-20 week ultrasound & the quad screen...I'm 30 so I know that the risks are elevated for each year after early 20's, so I'm having it - plus - I have minor spina bifada - nothing that shows or affects me, but I'm very paranoid about it because my mom ate well, etc. and I still have part of a tailbone that didn't close???
#42 of 57 Old 02-09-2009, 04:30 PM

No testing here. I will get an ultrasound at 20 weeks.

LDS, natural birthing,, , mom to 6 super fun crazy kids!
#43 of 57 Old 02-12-2009, 02:05 AM

I don't have genetic testing done. I'm okay with the u/s and blood draws in theory, but what will I do with those results? I'm not willing to accept the risks of an amnio to give conclusive answers. I'm not going to terminate a pregnancy under any circumstances.

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
#44 of 57 Old 02-12-2009, 01:39 PM

I'm preggo with twins and have been monitoried since 5.5 weeks, maybe even earlier. I have an MFM and OBGYN. Both do ultrasounds every visit.

The choice of having an amnio was really difficult. I would terminate the pregnancy if there was something wrong with the baby(ies).

So at 10 or 11 weeks I did the test that measures the nuchal (via ultrasound), measures protein in the blood and hcg in the blood. Results:
-nuchal -- normal
-protein in blood -- normal
-hcg in blood -- on the high end of normal (most likely b/c I have 2 babies)

My doc recommended an amnio. My husband and I really think everything is okay. But even though I'm 29, statistically I'm considered 34 with a singleton. I finally agreed to do an amnio on 2/25. I'm currently 14w 1d. It was a very difficult choice, one that I'm still struggling with.
#45 of 57 Old 02-12-2009, 10:36 PM

I'm also not planning to get the Quad screen at my next pre-natal visit with the midwife. I went into this pregnancy not really thinking I'd want to get any of the tests, but staying open and listening to all of the information provided by my midwife (and in books, articles, etc.). When she told me that 98% of people who get a positive test result on this first blood screen end up with healthy babies and NO abnormalities...it sealed the deal!

That's WAY too high of a false positive result for me. Then I'd have to choose if I wanted to go through with the amnio after that, which causes miscarriage 1 out of every 200-300 times, and I'm definitely not up for experimenting with those percentages either!

So that made my choice easy, and I feel even better now about trusting the pregnancy process and the baby growing inside me

Laelle - living my dream life : :, very happily married , and expecting our first : in Aug/Sept. '09 : : :
#46 of 57 Old 02-13-2009, 05:46 PM

We're having no testing done either...I was kind of on the fence about it, and then my husband said, What would happen if we got a positive (very possibly incorrect) screen? Well...knowing me, I would stress every second of every day until I found out for sure what was going on, probably slip into depression (which I've been known to do), and then what? I wouldn't terminate the pregnancy for anything other than the most extreme circumstances, so it would just dampen my ability to love and connect with my baby because I'd be so worried the whole pg. So I kind of just went along with him (SO not in my nature!) and I'm very comfortable with that. We'll have the structural u/s at 20 weeks to check overall measurements and such, but nothing beyond that (and that's only because I had a relatively late miscarriage with pg #1 so they order the super-duper u/s for me).

But I can totally understand the other side of the coin, too - our decision is mainly for the mental and emotional health of me and my family.
#47 of 57 Old 02-14-2009, 10:44 PM

Well, congratulations to all of you who chose to do no testing! You are definitely going against the grain and making the best choice for your families The chances of something being "wrong" are slim, so I'm wishing you all a very healthy & happy pregnancy!

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#48 of 57 Old 02-16-2009, 08:35 PM

No testing here either. When the OB asked me if we would be interested, I told him no- and then when hubby came with me to last check up he asked again (ok?) and we still said no. I'm 30- I'll be 31 when baby comes- but I just know that whatever happens we'll make it. I'm not even considering the possibility of terminating. So, I'm trusting the process and then I leave the rest up to God.
#49 of 57 Old 02-16-2009, 11:10 PM

No genetic testing here of any kind. I just do not feel it is necessary. I had a triple screen 9 yrs ago with my oldest when I did not know anything. Never done one since.

Take care,
Jen

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

#50 of 57 Old 02-18-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenomicsGirl View Post
Well, congratulations to all of you who chose to do no testing! You are definitely going against the grain and making the best choice for your families The chances of something being "wrong" are slim, so I'm wishing you all a very healthy & happy pregnancy!
You may not realize that your statement comes across as a really offensive and unsupportive statement for those of us who do choose testing.

It also sounds as if you're wishing only those who choose not to test a healthy and happy pregnancy. Those who *do* choose to test have explained why in this thread--there is no right or wrong approach to genetic testing, and no need to congratulate one group over the other.
#51 of 57 Old 02-18-2009, 01:11 PM

This is just a super difficult decision. My amnio is on Wednesday of next week 2/25 and I'll be honest -- I'm terrified. But I've had 3 miscarriages and I did IVF to get pregnant this time. Statistically there's a higher chance of something being wrong according to my doctor. And even though hubby and I have discussed terminating if something is wrong -- I don't know how I'll actually feel if that decision has to be made. This sucks.

Support is always a good thing.
#52 of 57 Old 02-18-2009, 01:12 PM

Clarification on "Statistically there's a higher chance of something being wrong according to my doctor" -- in cases of IVF.
#53 of 57 Old 02-18-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurumama View Post
You may not realize that your statement comes across as a really offensive and unsupportive statement for those of us who do choose testing.

It also sounds as if you're wishing only those who choose not to test a healthy and happy pregnancy. Those who *do* choose to test have explained why in this thread--there is no right or wrong approach to genetic testing, and no need to congratulate one group over the other.
In the October DDC, but I also got offended by that statement! Those of us who have made thoughtful decisions about how much testing/monitoring *we* need have also made the BEST decisions for our families. Until you have lived my life, don't presume to know what is best for me and mine.
#54 of 57 Old 02-18-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preemiemamarach View Post
In the October DDC, but I also got offended by that statement! Those of us who have made thoughtful decisions about how much testing/monitoring *we* need have also made the BEST decisions for our families. Until you have lived my life, don't presume to know what is best for me and mine.
I'm also in the October DDC and was a little offended by this statement. While I'm sure the poster meant no harm, it does come across as implying that mothers who choose to test are making a poor choice and mothers who don't, are making a better one.

With my first pregnancy I was 37 and chose to have a CVS. It was an agonizing decision and I vacillated on it up until the day of the test. The results came back 5 days later. My poor baby had triploidy (a full set of extra chromosomes). This is a condition incompatible with life. The day I got the news was one of the worst of my life and ended with a decision to terminate the pregnancy, I was eleven weeks along.

Now, months later and pregnant again I still mourn my loss but don't regret either the test or the termination. My reasons for feeling this way are myriad and deeply personal but I am confident that I made the right choice and will have another CVS with my current pregnancy.

There are no easy answers with genetic testing and in my opinion, no good or bad or better or worse, there's only what's right for each of us. No one makes the choice easily and if they do decide to test, it doesn't mean they love their babies any less. I don't think any mother would be here at all, if they didn't love and want their children with all their hearts, I know I do, more than words can say.

Wishing everyone the best,
~N~

Working mama to a wonderful baby girl. Married to a really sweet guy. Just trying to do my best.

#55 of 57 Old 02-18-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurumama View Post

GenomicsGirl had CVS done, so I really doubt that is how she meant it. I think she meant we are all doing what is best for our families.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#56 of 57 Old 02-19-2009, 02:30 PM

We aren't. I can't remember if I had the quad screen with dd because i transferred obs and moved around htetime I would have had it. Anyway this time my midwife explained what it was for and we decided not to do it. I don't want the stress of a false positive and I won't have an amnio regardless so there is really no point for us. We will have one ultrasound about midway and thats really all I am planning on.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#57 of 57 Old 02-22-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMindedMomma View Post
I did not plan on terminating and am receiving HB care. I refused all tests. No 20 week ultrasound either. My midwife delivers breech babies at home too, so no worries about positioning.

I'm with you on the tests.
Same here!

Mom to K and R

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page