2nd Trimester Thoughts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just thought I'd share what's been running around in my head today with the folks who would probably "get it" better than anyone else...

I’m 14w5d today. Thankfully everything seems to continue to move along a pace. Nothing interesting to report — just the way we like it!

I’m pretty sure that I felt movement several times last week. Since my placenta is anterior (on the front wall) they said that it sometimes means that it can take longer to feel the baby. However, the babe seems to like to hang out in this one spot in my lower left side — just where s/he was during the 12 week ultrasound. That’s where I’m feeling the movement so I’m pretty sure that’s the bean. Its definitely not gas traveling - I know what that feels like! :P

The weirdest thing about this phase is that I feel sort of in pregnant limbo. I’m in maternity clothes and starting to show a bit but I don’t feel movement regularly and probably to everyone else I look like I’m eating too much as opposed to being pregnant (although to date I’ve still gained no weight). The fatigue is lifting some and I do seem better able to focus (thank god!). So its just weird - except for the fact that I know I’m pregnant, I’d swear its a figment of my imagination. Its kind of gone back to feeling unreal. This is when it would be so great to have a fetoscope or US on hand just to see the peanut periodically. Yes, I know that’s ridiculous. I’m just saying it would be nice to have that reassurance…

Anyway, I got the appointment for our 18-20 week ultrasound. It’ll be on 3/19 when I’ll be 18w6d. I’m hoping that’s big enough to see the baby’s sex. I’m pretty sure it will be… It was very challenging to get a stinkin’ appointment. They’re super busy!

I am really excited to get to see the peanut. Its only a month away but it feels like an eternity. I’ve been pretty chill about the timing till now but this is so exciting and its 4 weeks away! Sigh. I know I’m being a nerd.

Must go work - thanks for letting me share the oddities in my head.

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

#2 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 03:16 PM

I'm feeling the same way and my first u/s is just a few days before yours. It is weird because sometimes I don't feel very pregnant or I even forget for a little while. I do have a fetoscope but its too early to use it, I think we need to be closer to 20 weeks. I could barely ever hear the heartbeat with the fetoscope last time, even closer to the end. Pretty soon we'll all be feeling regular movements and there will be no peace in our bellies

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#3 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 03:38 PM

I'm just grateful for being in the 2nd tri. I'm 15 weeks today and feeling hella relieved!!! Nothing else really going on. My energy is still low, though the libido is on a rise (hubby will be happy). I'm pretty sure I'm feeling the baby move and that's amazing. Siked about having a cute belly, hopefully very soon. I think I'm gearing up to pop....
#4 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 09:54 PM

I can relate, JuniperMama. Although I do feel super relieved to be in the 2nd trimester after what seemed like an interminable 1st one, the relief came with that sense of limbo you describe. People keep asking me how I feel and I just say, fine, totally normal. Other than the maternity clothes, there are few signs of a baby actually growing in there! I think I'm starting to feel movement here and there though. Not consistent, but enough to know it's not dinner! I am really excited for a nice belly and some baby hiccups...

mama to magical 6 yr old and a full moon Aug baby:
#5 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Banned

I found a babys heartbeat tonight with my doppler,cant find it again,but wow that was a great moment I needed the reasurrance too,I know exsacly how youu feel and what you mean there for sure.
#6 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 10:05 PM

My little guy has definitely found his sea legs at 16w3d, he is a little engine that can! He is all over the place. but mainly I feel solid kicks right below my bellybutton. He was head down last ultrasound *13w3d* and I think continues to stay that way for the most part, god willing, he will stay that way!
But I absolutely understand about the feeling in limbo. I never had a touch of morning sickness, and aside from mood swings and breast and tummy growth and my first trimesters exhaustion Id never have had an inkling of a clue that I was pregnant (disregarding menstrual cycles, lol). Now that I can feel him (he's my first) it makes it so much easier for me to relax. I sing to him alot, and we dance around to fun music (earth wind and fire is a favorite) and he reacts to his daddys voice when he's watching hockey. Maybe its MY reaction to his daddys yelling, but im romanticizing it a bit, I think. hahahaha
This is hands down the most empowering, amazing, blessed, and happiest time of my life. I feel so high off this pregnancy. Like I'm finally a part of something important and real...
Does anyone else feel like this?:::::

Married to my best friend, and favorite person in the world... Proud 1st time mama to our son, Conway James. Born July 29th!::::
#7 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 10:29 PM

Oh how I love the 2nd tri!! My energy has begun to return and the puking has finally stopped for real : I exercised for the first time in months today and feel so good. I am just about 18 weeks and have not felt much movement - some flutters here and there - but nothing major. My ultrasound is next Thursday but I know we are having a girl (I had an u/s at 14 weeks to follow up on a cyst and she said there was no penis visible but not to get too excited just yet - wait until the next one to start buying clothes and picking names)...Yeah to the 2nd trimester!!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#8 of 17 Old 02-19-2009, 12:23 AM

Wow, I feel the exact same way, especially for the past week or so...
I am 13 weeks and 3 days today and have not felt any major movements except a few teeny tiny flutters a few weeks ago.

I am so unsure about the whole thing! I am praying regularly for this little guy, but cannot wait to hear the heartbeat again!

I am getting fatter, but my weight gain has slowed some. I am not as hungry as I was during the first 10 weeks or so. My face is also SO broken out that I am having a really hard time with being out in public, so I have become kinda hermit like.... :

I think things will feel much more "real" in 6 weeks or so. I am so excited to find out what we're having!
#9 of 17 Old 02-19-2009, 02:17 AM

I just can not wait until people really know that I am pregnant and when I can feel the baby everyday in an obvious way, and when I get to find out the sex! Those things can tide me over until the end. My sister had a baby today-Sofia Rose. I can't wait to see her. All these bellies and babies are making me want to feel my baby more. I just want it to be a little more real...
#10 of 17 Old 02-19-2009, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLynn View Post
My little guy has definitely found his sea legs at 16w3d, he is a little engine that can! He is all over the place. but mainly I feel solid kicks right below my bellybutton. He was head down last ultrasound *13w3d* and I think continues to stay that way for the most part, god willing, he will stay that way!
But I absolutely understand about the feeling in limbo. I never had a touch of morning sickness, and aside from mood swings and breast and tummy growth and my first trimesters exhaustion Id never have had an inkling of a clue that I was pregnant (disregarding menstrual cycles, lol). Now that I can feel him (he's my first) it makes it so much easier for me to relax. I sing to him alot, and we dance around to fun music (earth wind and fire is a favorite) and he reacts to his daddys voice when he's watching hockey. Maybe its MY reaction to his daddys yelling, but im romanticizing it a bit, I think. hahahaha
This is hands down the most empowering, amazing, blessed, and happiest time of my life. I feel so high off this pregnancy. Like I'm finally a part of something important and real...
Does anyone else feel like this?:::::

I felt that way with my first pregnancy - I feel kinda in limbo with this one right now. Haven't felt any definite movement yet - most of the time when I think I feel something it's just gas, though there was one time last week when I felt a small little kick and that was it. So, just kinda waiting on that, and hoping to get over this sinus infection/whatever it is I have that's making me feel miserable - very soon. I didn't have a touch of morning sickness either, and feel very lucky about that, but I've felt kinda just blah-ish for most of this pregnancy, and am waiting to feel movement b/c then I know I'll get really excited about it. Hopefully I'll get a burst of energy soon too. That'd be nice.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#11 of 17 Old 02-19-2009, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Sun View Post
I just can not wait until people really know that I am pregnant and when I can feel the baby everyday in an obvious way, and when I get to find out the sex! Those things can tide me over until the end. My sister had a baby today-Sofia Rose. I can't wait to see her. All these bellies and babies are making me want to feel my baby more. I just want it to be a little more real...
Aww - pretty name. I love hearing about new babies. And you and your sis are going to have kids close in age - yay for cousins! Do you guys live close to eachother? My ds just got to hang out for a whole week with his cousin that's 10 months older than him. They live in Florida and this is the first time that the two kiddos really got to hang out and bond. It was cool.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#12 of 17 Old 02-19-2009, 07:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
I feel so high off this pregnancy. Like I'm finally a part of something important and real...
Does anyone else feel like this?
yes!!this is my fourth pregnancy and I am loving it,I especially love my bump-it got commented on for the first time yesterday...hoorah!!!!!::

hows your bump today?
I can feel mine,it feels fuller and rounder,can almost feel it expanding...amazing xxx
#13 of 17 Old 02-19-2009, 11:21 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling in limbo - not too much going on right now except some other health problems. I feel more anxious this time than last. I'm not sure if I've felt the babe or not yet, hard to tell, still - so I will feel so relieved to go back to the midwife on Tues and get to hear the heartbeat again... Wish I had a doppler at home to do myself!! : ) Some days I still feel really whipped, but overall feeling a bit more energetic than before. It is fun having a small bump - people are starting to ask now! :

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#14 of 17 Old 02-19-2009, 05:38 PM

Yeah, I'm in that "I-feel-better-but-I-can't-feel-the-baby-move-frequently-enough-for-it-to-feel-real" limbo, too!

I definitely have the "belly" but I feel like it's mostly chub - I started this pg about 10 - 15 lbs above where I started my other two. The thing that feels odd and sort of freaks me out is that both my MW & I have a hard time palpating my uterous. I'm *pretty* sure it's about halfway between my pelvic bone & belly button (which is a fine place to be at 14.5 weeks) but it's really hard to find. We did hear a hb . . . last week? week before?, which was sweet!

And I really feel like I still have more indigestion/constipation/digestive yuck than I remember having at this point in pg. I'm WAY better, but still have times of ultimate yuck, mostly in the late afternoon/early evening (right in time for dinner!) But energy is way back up (whoo hooo). And I want to be excited and connect w/baby etc. I just need some more motion in there!

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#15 of 17 Old 02-22-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytobe View Post
hows your bump today?
I can feel mine,it feels fuller and rounder,can almost feel it expanding...amazing xxx
I'm wondering about that expanding feeling. Do any of you have days where your uterus feels really achy and sore? I get these on and off and it's a feeling I don't like because I visualize my uterus sort of swollen and pink and irritated (like not in a good way). I think someone in our ddc mentioned that this usually means bump growth, which means that it really is the feeling of expansion. I'm going to try to reinterpret it next time it happens as happy growth rather than sore ick.

mama to magical 6 yr old and a full moon Aug baby:
#16 of 17 Old 02-22-2009, 10:09 PM

Add me to the limbo group too! I am showing, no doubt about it, but I have not really felt anything that tells me these babies are moving. I am starting to feel better, less tired, fewer headaches, no more nausea, so in a way I don't really feel pregnant anymore. It is weird. But I am going to enjoy feeling better and not being too huge because I know the huge days are coming!

I am starting to feel that pressure type feeling of my skin stretching above my uterus. I forgot about that from the first pregnancy, or maybe I did not feel it as much?

Anyway, I am wishing all a wonderful second trimester

Mama to DS 10/06, DD & DS 08/09
#17 of 17 Old 02-22-2009, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad that you guys are in this odd stage with me. I've been really bothered by it this weekend. I am not feeling any consistent movement and I so want to. I still have a lot of exhaustion and sadly I'm not done with the headaches. The bump is there but to the outside world, I look "thick" I think. I am ready for the true unmistakable baby bump and regular movement.

I know intellectually that everything must be fine since I'm not having any "bad" signs. I know that the anterior placenta (on the front wall) may make the feeling of movement even more delayed. Yet, I just find myself really wanting to hear the HB for a little reassurance...

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page