Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's your sign?

Mom to K and R

#32 of 50 Old 02-26-2009, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
are you gonna cloth diaper your bebe? We actually plan on trying our hand at EC. We'll be using cloth diapers for back ups/night etc.

Cloth diapers are pretty overwhelming... I have no clue how many of each kind I should be getting and reviews tend to be really baby specific so a lot of it seems to be trial and error (which is horrifying to a perpetual planner like myself.) The up side is DH is extremely amused by the names of the brands (his favorite one so far is "Happy Heiny") so he is getting excited about cloth diapers from that stand point alone.

What's your sign? I am a Cancer Leo cusp so baby and I should get along pretty well!

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#33 of 50 Old 02-26-2009, 01:25 PM

Of all the places you've lived, which is/was your favorite? Why?
*Your least favorite? Why?

Sami; Dedicated to Joey, 6yrs as Wife... already 10 as Sweetheart heartbeat.gif
"attached" SAHM for our spunky Leo boys twins.gif Loki & Joseph (2 & 5)

2ndtri.gif We've got a new addition - our first babygirl - arriving mid to late February! Life is good.

#34 of 50 Old 02-26-2009, 03:24 PM

What are three words you would use to describe yourself?

How many languages do you speak?

What is one of the strangest things you have ever done?

And what is one of the strangest things you have ever eaten?

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#35 of 50 Old 02-26-2009, 05:40 PM

Of all the places you've lived, which is/was your favorite? Why? My first impulse is to say Jamaica but I think a lot of that has to do with an emotional attachment to it being "home". So that country aside, I'd have to say England. We lived in Kent and I have really fond childhood memories of there. Lots of trips to Dover and such. I loved that in our particular town we could walk to everything. The fishmonger was down the street from our house and there was a market every Saturday.

*Your least favorite? Why? That would definitely be Wales.... beautiful country but dull as can be. Thankfully we (family) didn't live there very long.

What are three words you would use to describe yourself? Cautious, bookworm, loyal

How many languages do you speak? Intermediate French (now I live in FL I'm kicking myself for not taking Spanish) and Welsh (which is basically useless also )

What is one of the strangest things you have ever done? I'm afraid to answer this

And what is one of the strangest things you have ever eaten? Strange is relative I suppose... my SIL thinks I'm crazy for eating escargot but if I had to pick a "universally" strange food I guess I could say scorpion. Tastes like a cross between a chip and a prawn.

A close second might be mannish water (a soup made from goats head and feet.)

#36 of 50 Old 02-26-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut Chronicles View Post
Cleo was our princess. We miss her every day. I like to think she is terrorizing squirrels somewhere. Great Danes are such gorgeous dogs... DH's old landlord used to have three of them on his property (blues). They were Cleo's best friends. She used to come home coated in their slobber after a visit!

Raw is definitely a lot easier in warmer climates! When we lived in Cleveland there were just some days in winter that a salad and tepid soup wouldn't have cut it! Which part of Hawaii did you visit? I'm so jealous... I'd love to go there! Did you get to see any volcanoes?

I know what you mean we lost our 12 1/2 year old Great Dane Harly Quinn in 2007 and I know its so tough to be without those fur kids. Harly wasn't a slobbery dog, but maybe she is chasing squirrels with Cleo

I have been to Maui once and Kauai three times, and let me say I am so ready to go back! Kauai is the nature island with lots of different geography, great beaches and lots of fruit just growing on the trees looking YUMMY!!!

We did see the inactive volcanos on Maui and they were so amazing! I had a huge fear of Lava before going to Maui as a kid and I did not want to see any of the active volcanos, though.

Seriously Hawaii is one of my favorite places on Earth, if you get a chance you should so go!! But now you are making me want to hit the Caribean!!

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#37 of 50 Old 02-26-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut Chronicles View Post
A close second might be mannish water (a soup made from goats head and feet.)
That is definitely a unique-sounding soup to me! Where did you eat that? What prompted you to make/order it? How did it taste? Did it have goat meat in it, or was it basically goat broth with veggies? You've made me curious ...

thanks or answering my raw questions! And my job question Both seem like they have a lot of "rules" - something that takes time to learn and follow correctly, I assume

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#38 of 50 Old 02-26-2009, 07:18 PM

Wow, you are so interesting. It's fascinating to learn about some of this stuff - all of the places you've lived, your jobs, being Jamaican, machete-ing coconuts! Etc.

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#39 of 50 Old 02-27-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labortrials View Post
Wow, you are so interesting. It's fascinating to learn about some of this stuff - all of the places you've lived, your jobs, being Jamaican, machete-ing coconuts! Etc.
Yea.... I'm going to be so boring compared to Ms. Lisa here... Maybe we shouldn't have let her go first! haha

Just kidding.
#40 of 50 Old 02-27-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl136 View Post
Harly wasn't a slobbery dog, but maybe she is chasing squirrels with Cleo
:... are you thinking of getting another Great Dane? What kind was Harly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl136 View Post
We did see the inactive volcanos on Maui and they were so amazing! I had a huge fear of Lava before going to Maui as a kid and I did not want to see any of the active volcanos, though.
That is so unreal... would you say you prefer Kauai to Maui? Or the other way around? Sounds like heaven to me...would you ever consider moving there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenomicsGirl View Post
Where did you eat that? What prompted you to make/order it? How did it taste? Did it have goat meat in it, or was it basically goat broth with veggies? You've made me curious ...
Well I suppose I could make it but I've never had occasion to It's a very traditional Jamaican soup... in some parts of the country people still consider it an aphrodisiac. The soup itself is usually very spicy (if it's made correctly). Goat is very similar in texture and taste to lamb... kinda like a cross between lamb and beef. Haven't had mannish water in years... My favorite way to eat goat has always been curried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenomicsGirl View Post
Both seem like they have a lot of "rules" - something that takes time to learn and follow correctly, I assume
The job has a lot of rules... but food never really does! That's why I have never subscribed to any one particular "diet" completely. To me there are no rules when it comes to food. That's what makes it fun. One mans bug is another mans dinner and all that jazz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labortrials View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_Mommy View Post
Yea.... I'm going to be so boring compared to Ms. Lisa here... Maybe we shouldn't have let her go first! haha

Just kidding.
You two crack me up... my day to day life would bore you all to tears . Right now the most exciting thing I've got going on outside of work is organizing the garage!

#41 of 50 Old 02-27-2009, 04:10 PM

If you could have a room full of any one thing, what would it be?

If you could choose one of your personality traits to pass on to your children, what would it be?

Can anyone tell I love these threads! It is so cool to me that all of us with different lives and backgrounds have an opportunity to "meet" on a like subject we are passionate about- attachment parenting!

And like everyone else here- you have an interesting life! I too am cleaning/organizing the garage, but I don't have all the other goodness to go along with it

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#42 of 50 Old 02-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Banned

what was the article that brought you and your husband together about? ya, thats right, I asked. hahaha
#43 of 50 Old 02-27-2009, 09:20 PM

We're both Cancer/Leo cusp! I'm 7-24, so always Leo...barely! So my questions are:

When's your birthday?

Besides rock climbing, what kind of exercise are you into?

How old is your DH?

With so much under your belt already, do you have any other pre-30 goals left?

Um...I'd ask boxers or briefs, but I've already seen your cute boy shorts in your belly shot. Mary Green?

Came back with one I forgot: where did you go to college?

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

#44 of 50 Old 02-28-2009, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydensmama View Post

It is so cool to me that all of us with different lives and backgrounds have an opportunity to "meet" on a like subject we are passionate about- attachment parenting!

Yup, totally awesome.

I'm trying to come up with some more questions, but you ladies have been asking some good ones! I'll ask some more 'favorite' ones I guess, since it's late and my brain seems to have shut off.

So Lisa:

~Who is you favorite movie star?

~Favorite movie?

~Favorite holiday and why?

~Best present you ever gave/received?

~Do you get along with your parents? Your in-laws?

That's all I got.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#45 of 50 Old 02-28-2009, 12:25 PM

Wow, lemme just say you're inspiring! FWIW that Stokke Chair is awesome... I got one for my now 7 yr old when she was 18 mos... she and her 3 yr old sis just traded back (7 yr old missed it!) But there are cheaper alternatives (look for hipposmile chairs.)

If you met a cooking, or better yet a food prep ignoramous , who was interested in more interesting and varied diet for her adventurous family - would you recommend a book, a website, or place to start learning about it?

(I explored raw a little while ago but dh won't buy in! HA - he's been the cook for the last 7 yrs but the girls and I are looking for more adventurous and fun foods for breakfast and lunch!) :

Grumpy72 ::
M 6/2001, S 12/2005, E 6/2009 (31wkr) & birth-mum to H 9/2003
#46 of 50 Old 02-28-2009, 05:47 PM

If you could have a room full of any one thing, what would it be? Sweetsops! (Though a room full of money would be useful too )

If you could choose one of your personality traits to pass on to your children, what would it be? You've got some great questions! My open-mindedness probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydensmama View Post
I too am cleaning/organizing the garage, but I don't have all the other goodness to go along with it
Ooooo you have to post before and after pictures!! I was trying to get mine finished for the February Challenge thread in the Decluttering forum but some shelves we ordered haven't come yet.

what was the article that brought you and your husband together about? ya, thats right, I asked. hahaha You are too funny! I tried to dig up the exact article but haven't found it yet. I can tell you the topic was using the occlusive method to heal a tattoo (exciting stuff eh? LOL). But I did find the email where I convinced him to come visit! I did a top ten reasons to come to Jamaica list.... such a nerd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbabymama View Post
We're both Cancer/Leo cusp! I'm 7-24, so always Leo...barely!
*high fives* July people are the best!

When's your birthday? July 22

Besides rock climbing, what kind of exercise are you into? I like to run... I dig tennis too but I'm absolutely terrible at it. I mean embarrassingly bad! DH is trying to get me into golf but... I'm not really seeing the appeal. His whole family golfs... even his 86 year old grandmother!

How old is your DH? 33

With so much under your belt already, do you have any other pre-30 goals left? I haven't even accomplished half the things I want to. I have tons more things I'd like to do before 30 but I'm going to have to reevaluate some of them because of the baby... scaling Mount McKinley, for instance, is really going to have to be put on the back burner!

Um...I'd ask boxers or briefs, but I've already seen your cute boy shorts in your belly shot. Mary Green? : good eye!

Came back with one I forgot: where did you go to college? University of Leicester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama*pisces View Post
I'm trying to come up with some more questions, but you ladies have been asking some good ones!
They really have been asking some creative ones! Which is great though because I will just refer to this thread when it's their turn

~Who is you favorite movie star? It's a toss up between Edward Norton and John Cusack

~Favorite movie? Oh man... that's hard. Either "Big Fish" or "What Dreams May Come"

~Favorite holiday and why? Boxing Day! It's bigger than Christmas back home. The whole day is spent cooking the meal while friends drop in for drinks and then family shows up in the late afternoon to start eating. We always end up with a good 40 people at the house. I have tried to carry that tradition up here but it is not celebrated in the US so it's harder to get friends to come over.

~Best present you ever gave/received? Best present I ever received would probably be my grandfathers sword which was part of his dress uniform. And the best present I ever gave (according to DH) was to him. As part of his wedding present he got a set of letters addressed "to my future husband" that I had written at 16 as part of a class assignment (my mum had saved them and it was her idea.)

~Do you get along with your parents? Your in-laws? I'm very close to all my family. I try and see them as often as I can but it can be difficult because we're huge and spread out over a number of countries. I speak to most of them at least once a week though. My in-laws... well they think I'm strange and I think they're crazy . There have been a number of cultural differences that have come up but I accept them as a part of DH and view them as family.

#47 of 50 Old 02-28-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy72_ga View Post
FWIW that Stokke Chair is awesome... I got one for my now 7 yr old when she was 18 mos... she and her 3 yr old sis just traded back (7 yr old missed it!) But there are cheaper alternatives (look for hipposmile chairs.)
Thank you so much for that recommendation. I will definitely look up hipposmile! I've also been looking at the Euro II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy72_ga View Post
If you met a cooking, or better yet a food prep ignoramous , who was interested in more interesting and varied diet for her adventurous family - would you recommend a book, a website, or place to start learning about it?
Bittman is the perfect author for you! He is not a trained chef so his food is accessible but he has a very elegant palate. Check out his book How to Cook Everything. It's thick and there are no pictures but his recipes are amazing (the kind that make you go "why didn't I think of that?"). He did a vegetarian version of his Everything book that you might want to check out also. If you find either of those two daunting because of their size check out The Minimalist Cooks Dinner or The Minimalist Cooks at Home both are also by Mark Bittman. I also recommend Myra Kornfield. Check out her book The Healthy Hedonist. Her recipes are easy to follow but the results always impress me.

And my favourite food website is hands down Epicurious. It's indispensable and will make you look like you trained with Julia Child

#48 of 50 Old 02-28-2009, 08:57 PM

Okay, not feeling creative enough to come up with any questions right now. But I've really enjoyed reading this thread and getting to know you, CC.
#49 of 50 Old 03-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Banned

Ok, I forgot to mention this before, but plz to be linking me to the raw seed and nut bars and cacao brownies. I already have raw cacao powder so I bet I could churn them out pretty easily...

that tahini smoothie sounds delicious :
#50 of 50 Old 03-04-2009, 09:56 PM

I really enjoyed keeping up with this thread, too!

mama to magical 6 yr old and a full moon Aug baby:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page