Im having contractions... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im having contractions. UGH here we go again. I have an irritable uterus and this is just crappy. I'm almost 18 weeks and home alone with no car with my 2 girls. I'm nervous because I have no one to watch them and I can barely stand. I tried drinking a lot of water but its not working. Baby is bouncing around like a nut, but I really think i need to go to the hospital. My DF has to be at work. He cant leave and I have no idea what to do, my step son gets out of school at 245 and I have to be here for him to let him in. UGH... What am I going to do.
#2 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 01:34 PM

Oh Torre that is so scary! What about your neighbors? Are any of them home? Can you call the school? Or maybe have your son stay at a friends house?

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#3 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

my neighbors downstairs would watch them and get Joey off the bus for me, but I feel bad asking. Their grandma is supposed to be getting them at around 330 and I am trying to hold on til then, but I'm getting worried. I'm so crampy and uncomfortable, I have diahrea too and I am getting really concerned. I called DF and asked if his mom could come now and stay here with Aaliyah and my dad will come get me and my daughter and watch her and bring me to the hospital, but I just feel like a huge pain in the you know what. I have been contracting since like 2 am this morning... Thanks for the reply Lisa... I hate going to the hospital, period because I feel like i'm sick and something is WRONG with me and I am going to get the "what do you mean homebirth care?" look... YUCK
#4 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 01:43 PM

Not in your DDC, but I would go talk to your neighbors and go right now, even if you have to take a cab. If I were your neighbor, I would understand. Most of us wouldn't want a mom to get to a point where she had the worst happen and lost a baby because she didn't want to be a pain in the butt. Sometimes it's okay to need people. I hope everything is okay.

Minions...I've got minions. Sheepish.gifblahblah.gifangel2.gifkid.gif  And dogs.  
#5 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

My DF just called and his mom is not home so he is going to have her come and get Aaliyah as soon as she comes home and dismiss his son. As soon as I know she is on the way I will bring Aaliyah down and call my dad. UGH
#6 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 01:58 PM

Thinking about you!

Grumpy72 ::
M 6/2001, S 12/2005, E 6/2009 (31wkr) & birth-mum to H 9/2003
#7 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 03:09 PM

Good luck mama, I'm glad you're going in. Update us when you can.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#8 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 03:35 PM

I hope that everything turns out to be perfectly fine. I'm thinking of you!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#9 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 05:03 PM

How scary for you! You're in my thoughts.

Please don't be afraid to be a hassle. Depending on people and asking for help is a big part of life.

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#10 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 06:08 PM

hope everything is ok
#11 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 06:29 PM

Hope things are okay with you!

Last week, at 13 weeks, I started heavily cramping (I felt like I was in labor) and then bleeding (not spotting...like a period). We went to the ER and the doctor refused to give us an u/s or listen to the heartbeat without us having extensive other testing done first (bloodwork, internal exam, etc). I refused (my friend who's a midwife said an internal would increase cramping and bleeding). I ended up signing a release and leaving after 2.5 hrs b/c they refused to help us out. It was awful.

I called a local midwife and she ordered an ultrasound for me at a different hospital. She had us to her office and found the heartbeat right away. It was strong. The ultrasound showed a very healthy baby but a subchorionic hematoma (a pool of blood across from the placenta). I was put on bedrest for a week and now things are fine!

I have been taking Cramp Bark for the cramping, which still comes at times, but it's been much more bearable and no more bleeding.

Sorry for the long story, but it just shows you that there can still be positive results with cramping (and even bleeding). I never knew that, which is why I assumed the baby was not okay. I wish I'd known so I hadn't been so upset and worried.

Mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09)
#12 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 08:15 PM

I just read this now - I'm thinking of you! Please let us know what the Dr says!

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#13 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 08:15 PM

Big hugs and sticky baby vibes. Hope you're resting easy and the cramps have stopped.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#14 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Your all so nice. I am home finally. Needless to say it was eventful. I got the Dr who wanted to save me from my scary homebirth midwife because I am high risk??? LOL I have had a few miscarriages quite some time ago and he was trying to convince me to switch to a very notoriously C section happy OB I thanked him, but obviously declined. Even that OB said I wasn't high risk.

So they did a vaginal exam, bloodwork, urine specimen. All came back ok except for my raging yeast infection which most likely is causing this. They did a doppler and were unsuccessful in finding a steady rate so they did a brief U/S. The Dr wanted a more accurate one, They gave me a bag of fluid and he ordered the U/S. The tech was only ordered to do a transvaginal, but when I told her how I had my last one at 6 weeks and I was sad DF was not present she did a brief regular. Gave me two pictures. NOW we have not wanted to know the gender. I was adament about that. Since the U/S was supposed to be brief I didn't even mention it to the tech. I kept calling the baby "he" and she said, "UM your HE has NOTHING in between those legs!" I said, "OH" and she said thats a girl. I asked if she was sure and she showed me. I started crying because I felt so bad DF was not there and missed it and she was like "OH was it supposed to be a SURPRISE??" I said yes, but it was ok. I feel so bad.

Anyway. In the pictures, the baby looked right at the monitor and she has DF's nose. You can see the nostrils and everything (DF has a very prominent nose). Anyway. I guess I just thought it was a boy and am a little in shock still. My midwife was really disapointed for me since she knew we did not want to know.

Anyway. I am home. My neighbors watched the kids until their grandma got them and even fed me when I got back. I am still having contractions, but not as bad and I feel generally ok...

SO yeah, I joined the pink team.
#15 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 09:13 PM

Glad to know you're doing okay!

Yeah, the doctor told me the same thing "oh...are you planning a HOMEBIRTH with, like, a MIDWIFE?!" like I was committing a terrible sin.

Eeeee...

Mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09)
#16 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 09:22 PM

I'm so glad you're doing ok and the babe gave you a smile. In my first pregnancy I had a lot of bleeding and I had an u/s picture I carried in my pocket... yes, she looked like an alien skeleton critter, but looking at that picture always made me feel better when I was bleeding/cramping.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#17 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
I'm so glad you're doing ok and the babe gave you a smile. In my first pregnancy I had a lot of bleeding and I had an u/s picture I carried in my pocket... yes, she looked like an alien skeleton critter, but looking at that picture always made me feel better when I was bleeding/cramping.
I'm LMAO at the description there. That is EXACTLY what they look like! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
#18 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 09:38 PM

I'm so glad you're ok, and hope that once the yeasties are gone the contractions go away and don't come back until term.

I'm sorry the surprise was announced congratulations on a little girl
#19 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 09:42 PM

I'm so glad you're okay!

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#20 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 09:45 PM

Glad to hear you and your girl are doing ok!

Mom to K and R

#21 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 10:17 PM

So happy to hear everything is okay!

Laelle - living my dream life : :, very happily married , and expecting our first : in Aug/Sept. '09 : : :
#22 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 10:35 PM

I'm glad all is well! I had luck with cramp bark with DS2 too. I had PTL labor with him and visited the hospital 3 times and a few of the doctors told me I was now "high risk" and should switch to an OB immediately. Uhh, your not "high risk" just for PTL unless you give birth early or having dilation.

I can't believe the tech didn't ask before telling you the sex, they all should know better!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#23 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 11:18 PM

Glad you are doing better. I had no idea that a yeast infection could trigger contractions!

Hope it clears soon!

Congrats on your baby girl! Sorry the surprise was ruined. :

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#24 of 30 Old 02-27-2009, 11:19 PM

So glad you and your girl are doing okay!
#25 of 30 Old 02-28-2009, 12:03 AM
Banned

wooooohoooo to you and MISS Thang being okay!!! Sucks about the tech, but maybe she didn't want to be called a "he" anymore? hehe <3
#26 of 30 Old 02-28-2009, 12:15 AM

I am happy to hear that you are doing well. I have been wondering all night.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#27 of 30 Old 02-28-2009, 12:53 PM

So glad things are looking ok, Mama!

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#28 of 30 Old 03-02-2009, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

So I had my prenatal on Sunday. My midwife thinks the cause of the contractions is actually a mineral deficiency. I haven't been eating SO perfect and she also said that the 3 yeast infections I have got were because all the cran juice I have been drinking (sugar). So she asked me to cut down on my sugar and drink more water/herbal teas.

She sent me home with Magnesium for my heart arithmia (sp). I was aware of that already. I have never been diagnosed with any heart problems though. She also gave me Calcium to coat my nerves better to stop the contractions. She asked me if I had been having headaches/muscle aches and I have. She also told me I had to start taking a prenatal. I confessed how money is tight for us right now and I have been sacrificing my nutrition for the kids sake (we are applying for food stamps and WIC) So she sent me home with some chocolate chip muffins, an 18 pack of eggs, RRL tea, Cran tea, A huge container of water and all the minerals.

She is amazing and I love her. She also is renegotiating her birth fee for me AGAIN. So we can afford it.

When I got home, I was still having contractions, on top of round ligament pains, and being gassy and having Diahrea. I ate and ate and drank and rested and felt a bit better. I never had round ligament pains with my daughter. My weight distributed differently with her and this time I am so far out front and it hurts already. I hate to think about the next 22 weeks.

Now WE ALL HAVE A HORRIBLE VIRUS.. LOL So that is making me sore and tired and crabby.

But baby sounds awesome. My midwife, J, thinks she is head down because as she palpated Gloria kicked her hand up by my belly button. I have been feeling kicks up that way for the last few days. I know she will flip again probbaly, but its cool tho.

Also J used the doppler and her HR was around 145, she thinks my placenta is in the front but to my right side. She said babies tend to face their placentas so she may be posterior. I have been having back pain so that makes sense.

I am trying to remain positive but I am so uncomfortable right now and I am hoping it dies down in the next few weeks.
#29 of 30 Old 03-02-2009, 02:56 PM

Your MW sounds awesome! My MW put me on similar vitamins with my PTL. I was on a calcium/magnesium supplement and an omega 3,6,9 supplement. Bananas every day helped get rid of leg cramps. They helped a lot.

Putting on my heart mama hat for a second here: Have you always had a heart arrythmia? Do you also have a murmur? Have you ever had an echocardiogram done to check the anatomy of your heart? Arrythmias are a little scary and you should definately find out what is causing it (it could be a structual abnormality or something as common as a prolapse). My sister has an arrythmia and it is caused by WPW syndrome but they did tell her if it got too out of control she'd need a pacemaker. I have Mitral Valve Prolapse and it causes a murmur that gets a lot louder during pregnancy due to the increased blood volume. Murmurs during pregnancy are somewhat common but arrythmias are not so common.

#30 of 30 Old 03-02-2009, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
Your MW sounds awesome! My MW put me on similar vitamins with my PTL. I was on a calcium/magnesium supplement and an omega 3,6,9 supplement. Bananas every day helped get rid of leg cramps. They helped a lot.

Putting on my heart mama hat for a second here: Have you always had a heart arrythmia? Do you also have a murmur? Have you ever had an echocardiogram done to check the anatomy of your heart? Arrythmias are a little scary and you should definately find out what is causing it (it could be a structual abnormality or something as common as a prolapse). My sister has an arrythmia and it is caused by WPW syndrome but they did tell her if it got too out of control she'd need a pacemaker. I have Mitral Valve Prolapse and it causes a murmur that gets a lot louder during pregnancy due to the increased blood volume. Murmurs during pregnancy are somewhat common but arrythmias are not so common.
Jilian- She is awesome.. She also gave me a banana and an apple. (not sure I mentioned that)

About my heart. I am not sure. I noticed when I would skip a beat I would feel out of breath which I feel that way often. My mom has the Mitral Valve issue and a murmur. It never has come up in my physicals. The first time i heard of that was at my CNA classes in May. The instructor wouldn't let me be a model for pulse because of it.I thought I was just nervous, but J noticed in and then had me listen and also had Jose who was EMS before listen and we all heard it. I guess I should call, but I am afraid of it scaring me and risking me out of homebirth and then making me "high risk". My midwife was glad to know it was there, but didn't say anything other than it will be helpful to know that come time for your birth. Maybe I should call me primary care DR.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page