Passing out in the shower - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2009, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, every time I take a shower, I nearly black out and frequently end up throwing up/retching/dry heaving. What is the deal? I am 14w4d, and this has been going on for at least the last month. Is it the change in temperature, going from cold room to hot shower? Standing in one place? What is the deal? I don't even shower every day anymore because it is just getting to be too damn dangerous. And that's crazy! : Anyone else experience anything like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2009, 07:45 PM

yikes! I've had that happen before when the shower was too hot, but it isn't a regular occurrence for me. I can only take luke warm showers now or I get dizzy.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:50 PM

Hmm.. that's strange. I feel that way when my blood sugar is low. Does it help to drink some juice before?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:05 PM

I had this problem my entire pregnancy with my daughter and it's been slowly starting with this one. I've learned that baths work :-) LOL.

Seriously though, I just STAY dizzy. I did it with my pregnancy with Ari and I'm doing it this time (and hoping that means girl for me LOL). I lay down a lot. Keep my feet above my head often. Eat small frequent meals to keep blood sugar in check (although I've never had gestational diabetes).

For me the shower does it so easily because 1, I'm standing too still for my body. 2, I'm usually leaning my head back for a few minutes at a time to rinse my hair. 3, The water I like it usually REALLY REALLY warm. I love hot showers. If its lukewarm or cooler, I can't do it LOL. and 4, I'm just dizzy to begin with LOL
Old 03-05-2009, 08:16 PM

I was feeling dizzy during/after showering or bathing & I found if I ingested protein just before (even a piece of cheese or 2) I had no dizziness. If I take a shower w/o eating protein, I'm likely to vomit at the end still (at 19 weeks).
Old 03-05-2009, 08:25 PM

I would say, turn down the temp. have something in your stomach, and keep it short. Or switch to baths. I know when I take hot showers, I feel dizzy and begin to black out. I've also considered putting some sort of shower chair in there, so I could sit while I shower. hmm... I still might do that.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:49 PM

If you take pretty warm showers, it could be blood pressure related. A really hot shower might increase your bp suddenly. (I'm just speculating here.) I used to have this problem. Being in the hot shower would make me dizzy, except that I would only black out or almost black out when going from the really hot shower to the colder air outside the shower. I have pretty low blood pressure anyway, so I'm sensitive to decrease in bp.

(I love hot, long showers, but they are so bad for my skin and hair and everything else in general... not to mention the environment. Still I crave one after a rough day. : )

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:59 PM

Doesn't happen in the shower for me, happens when I'm standing still at church...

It's helps somewhat for me to move my legs a little. Like bend my knees alternating or rise up on my toes or something...

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:04 PM

It's low blood pressure. When you're pregnant your blood volume goes up, and your pressure can be wonky. A warm shower will dilate your blood vessels, which can cause a drop in blood pressure (not an increase), which will make you dizzy. Standing up rapidly can do the same thing (though it's not due to vasodilation, in that case it's because your body can't counteract gravity quickly enough, but same end result) - that's called orthostatic hypotension.

If you are eating a diet that is low in salt, that may exacerbate this issue. My blood pressure tends to run low, and I definitely need to eat what seems like a lot of salt to others. Definitely, definitely try more salt (unless your doc/midwife gives you a specific reason not to) - you should see a difference very quickly.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastyToes View Post
It's low blood pressure. When you're pregnant your blood volume goes up, and your pressure can be wonky. A warm shower will dilate your blood vessels, which can cause a drop in blood pressure (not an increase), which will make you dizzy. Standing up rapidly can do the same thing (though it's not due to vasodilation, in that case it's because your body can't counteract gravity quickly enough, but same end result) - that's called orthostatic hypotension.
Thanks for the excellent explanation!

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:18 PM

Also, double check that you're not newly sensitive to a smell/component in your body care stuff. With this pregnancy I discovered I would heave every time I smelled dd1's shampoo! I'd get into the shower and start gagging for no reason... it took a while to track down what was happening and it stopped once we switched her shampoo. And on the up side, DH's body wash was an excellent cover for other bathroom smells that were making me feel sick... at one point I'd even squirt a little of his body wash into the shower pan before getting in since it kept me from gagging (this was before we figured out the "shampoo thing").

Anyway, blood pressure is the most likely culprit, but also double check the scents and ingredients you're exposed to.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 03-06-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by footprintsbaby View Post
Doesn't happen in the shower for me, happens when I'm standing still at church...

It's helps somewhat for me to move my legs a little. Like bend my knees alternating or rise up on my toes or something...
I get it at church too! I end up sitting long before everyone else LOL.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:15 PM

The same thing happened to me while I was pregnant. My first passing out experience happened in the shower.I blacked out and next thing I knew I was throwing up. I also passed out just standing in line @ walmart, and I also passed out just riding in the truck with my husband. Not really sure what the deal was. The only since I could ever get out of anyone was that the baby was probably just laying a certain way that possibly effects my body that way.It may have been related to the blood pressure thing someone else has mentioned.My blood pressure was always good through out the pregnancy, but I never checked it right after I had passed out so I dont know what it was.My first passing out experience was when I wasn't very far along, probably about like you are now. Maybe it wont happen to you to often!

User Tag List