Anyone plan to EC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 03-13-2009, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I"m thinking about it but I need to learn more. We already CD and I only work out of the home about 12 hours/wk, so I think it would be feasible. DH looked at me really weird the couple times I've mentioned it, but he did regarding cd'ing, too, and now he's totally on board.

Anyone else already EC or planning to with this bean?

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#2 of 21 Old 03-13-2009, 02:40 PM

We are planning on ECing also. We are planning on getting together a cloth diaper stash though as a back up and seeing how it goes. DH took it in stride when I mentioned it was something I wanted us to try. I think he is getting used to hearing all my "kooky" ideas

I've been lurking around the EC forums here... have you read any books yet? I haven't ordered one yet but I have been trying to decide between these three: Diaper Free, The Diaper Free Baby and Infant Potty Training

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#3 of 21 Old 03-13-2009, 03:01 PM

I would love to but with both of us working day jobs I don't think it would work. Unless I can find a nanny who will do it.

Also, not sure i could give up my pretty cloth

Pernille, Married to : mom to my 2 littel boys :4/12/07 and : 8/24/09
#4 of 21 Old 03-13-2009, 03:55 PM

Me me! I did with DD2 (after she was about 5 months) and plan to with this one. I'm a bit nervous since we found out this one is a boy (will have to aim a bit more LOL) but still game.
We are going to do it the same way as last time. No pressure. If I notice when he wants to potty I will do it and if not, we have the cloth diapers. I only did it with Colleen because I couldn't NOT do it once I could tell when she had to potty (and could tell she really hated going in a diaper). If this baby shows the same preference we'll do the same. I'm not going to go crazy over it though.

Leigh

#5 of 21 Old 03-13-2009, 04:07 PM

Best luck to you. I just wanted to say that EC is wonderfull and nb's are quite easy to at least catch poo with.

Kiya- Mama to 3 growing Son's. Waldorf joy.gifDoula  hug.gif  Making Recycled Woolens and Trainers every spare moment.
#6 of 21 Old 03-13-2009, 05:26 PM

I want to EC. It sounds great. BUT, my husband is anti-cloth diapers. So we'll see....
#7 of 21 Old 03-13-2009, 05:34 PM

We are going to be trying EC with CD. I am still new to the idea so I have no idea when to start or some of the details, but it just seems to make sense!!

I also have to add I am thrilled to find out we have a local diaper service so all of DH's issues with CD are gone YEAH!

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#8 of 21 Old 03-13-2009, 05:36 PM

Hmmm.. diaper service may alleviate all of my husband's issues.
#9 of 21 Old 03-13-2009, 05:45 PM

LA Mamma you are spoiled you have access to a very well established one in LA, in fact it was the one featured on Dirty Jobs and my Mom used with My sister and I If it's the "ick" factor that is bothering him seriously look into a diaper service.

You toss them just like you would a disposable into a bag and take them out to be picked up but no landfill required and better yet since they bring you your diapers no 2am runs to the drugstore for disposables!!

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#10 of 21 Old 03-14-2009, 12:08 AM

We fell into EC with #1 and will definitely be doing at least part-time with this one. We also cloth diaper. EC was one of the BEST parenting decisions I made and I thought it was totally "kooky crazy" before I actually realized that it would be easier/cheaper/cleaner and more fun than letting my dd sit in her own waste. You can do it w/sposies, but it's easier w/cloth (and you don't actually need to wash too much during the good strides.)

I like all three books mentioned, but "The Diaper Free Baby" by Loh is the most accessible IMO. It's not overly crunchy (not that that's a bad thing) and I think would help getting a dh on board. She also has a whole section on part-time EC for working parents. It's not all or nothing!

L.A. Mama--check out http://www.dy-dee.com/, but in the end I prefer to wash my own. There's a local mom who sells diapers too: http://www.angelbunz.com and of course there's www.diaperswappers.com (beware!)

Mama to two girls 12/05 and 8/09

#11 of 21 Old 03-14-2009, 12:11 AM

Oh, and for those of you thinking about it, see if there's a local support group w/meetings in your area:

www.diaperfreebaby.org

In LA, the yahoo group is "socaldiaperfreebaby" and I know there's a weekly meeting in Pasadena...other get togethers too. It's great to see it "in action" and to talk to moms about how they do what they do.

#12 of 21 Old 03-14-2009, 10:44 AM

I really love my newborn/small diaper stash, but am going to give EC a try afterwards.

Sami; Dedicated to Joey, 6yrs as Wife... already 10 as Sweetheart heartbeat.gif
"attached" SAHM for our spunky Leo boys twins.gif Loki & Joseph (2 & 5)

2ndtri.gif We've got a new addition - our first babygirl - arriving mid to late February! Life is good.

#13 of 21 Old 03-14-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samikashi View Post
I really love my newborn/small diaper stash, but am going to give EC a try afterwards.
But you can use diapers AND EC...most folks do. Going totally diaper-free all the time is kinda unrealistic in my world.

#14 of 21 Old 03-14-2009, 04:04 PM

Yup, we're planning on it! I can't wait I used to own a cloth diaper store but I think ECing is even better for baby, the Earth, etc. Plus, skipping the whole potty training, esp if its a boy, will be great

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#15 of 21 Old 03-14-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaClaire View Post
But you can use diapers AND EC...most folks do. Going totally diaper-free all the time is kinda unrealistic in my world.
I recently posted to the EC board about this...my friend does this without any diapers and it's disgusting in my opinion. Her daughter has pooped and peed on my carpet and stained it, which is frustrating b/c we're renting, and she doesn't care or appologize. We went to a restaurant and her daughter peed on teh floor there and outside too. Then her daughter is standing around in wet pants. It's worse and not great parenting in my opinion. Really gross. Diapers are great for outings, car rides, and when you can't give them your full attention...

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#16 of 21 Old 03-14-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaClaire View Post
Oh I realize that, and meant I won't be doing EC at all in the beginning.
Been looking forward to putting cloth on a newborn bottom for awhile now...
It's also important for us to get the most out of the great stash already purchased, put together.

2ndtri.gif We've got a new addition - our first babygirl - arriving mid to late February! Life is good.

#17 of 21 Old 03-14-2009, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmm...also in the thinking about it but need to learn more camp. I didn't do it all with ds, but luckily he took to the potty fairly quickly and was out of diapers at 32 months. I kinda think EC'ing will be harder with having more than one child though, but we'll see. Can't hurt to give it a shot...and I'll need to pick up that book to help out dh, cuz at the first mention of it I know he's going to be like: "You want to whaaaat.....?" Not that anything should surprise him anymore.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#18 of 21 Old 03-15-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
I recently posted to the EC board about this...my friend does this without any diapers and it's disgusting in my opinion. Her daughter has pooped and peed on my carpet and stained it, which is frustrating b/c we're renting, and she doesn't care or appologize. We went to a restaurant and her daughter peed on teh floor there and outside too. Then her daughter is standing around in wet pants. It's worse and not great parenting in my opinion. Really gross. Diapers are great for outings, car rides, and when you can't give them your full attention...
Yikes...so sorry about your experience w/EC. Her behavior sounds pretty irresponsible.

#19 of 21 Old 03-15-2009, 11:40 PM

We're thinking of doing this part-time. I'm trying to figure out if it's going to be another complicating factor in creating a good bond/relationship or whether it will be good for us. I will be with the babe probably all the time for the first three months, but after that life looks kind of hectic. It all seems kind of hazy and nebulous. EC and everything else about babies is still kind of overwhelming to me... I don't want to overload on new stuff.

On a related topic, though, I used to take care of animals in a vet clinic/kennel, and I developed a very strong intuition about who needed to potty and when. It sounds crazy, but when a dog needed to go, I'd smell urine/poop (in my imagination) and get an image/notion of the dog, even if I was far from him or her. So I can totally see how a parent would develop an intuitive knowledge about his or her child's elimination needs.

I have read the book The Diaper Free Baby. Before I read it I knew nothing about EC, and I came away with an understanding that it is completely do-able. It was pretty easy to convince my husband this wasn't a bad idea.

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#20 of 21 Old 03-16-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samikashi View Post
Oh I realize that, and meant I won't be doing EC at all in the beginning.
Been looking forward to putting cloth on a newborn bottom for awhile now...
It's also important for us to get the most out of the great stash already purchased, put together.
I guess I don't see why ECing and using all those cute dipes are mutually exclusive. I DO get that ECing from day one can be a bit much for some folks, especially when you're trying to get nursing down as well.

#21 of 21 Old 03-16-2009, 10:43 AM

Because all those cute diapers weren't cheap and they should be used as much as possible before they're grown out of. That's why it's going to be an exclusive thing, for us.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page