What are ya girls reading to prepare for the babies? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-25-2009, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any good recs on books on vaginal deliveries, breast feeding (even better if discusses 2 babies) or holding off until solids (i.e. avoid rice cereal)/making baby foods.

My good friend the nutritionist and I had a convo yesterday and she was so suprised that I didn't want to feed the girls rice cereal fortified with iron. And she's a darn good nutrionist, so I was surprised by her reaction, lol. Seems like I've got a lot of reading to do... especiallly if my peds isn't on board with stuff the way I am.

There's so much out there and I wanted to know if any of you girls have started reading up and think something is fab.

*Not sure if this is posted in the right place.... So apologies in advance!
#2 of 20 Old 03-25-2009, 04:34 PM

Hah! My MIL told me I was jumping ahead by reading Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth! (which is fantastic, btw. Very empowering, very concise, makes sense.)

So far I've got my eye on:
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
and
Dr. Sears's Baby Book
but that's it so far.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#3 of 20 Old 03-25-2009, 04:48 PM

I actually didn't prepare for children last time, only for pregnancy and childbirth. Oops. Right after my daughter was born, though, I sped through The Nursing Mother's Companion. One of my friends also gave me Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense by Ellyn Satter. I only read the breastfeeding parts because I forgot that I had the book by the time we were on solids.

I'd recommend both.

I usually go to Dr. Sears' website when I have specific questions about various issues like fevers, sleeping, etc.

Mom to : July 2007 and : August 2009!
#4 of 20 Old 03-25-2009, 05:08 PM

there are so many!
i liked Birthing from Within and The Birth Partner, which my husband is now reading. Also The thinking woman's guide to better birth and Gentle Birth Choices.
Right now i'm reading Dr. Sears AP book which i really love! And anything by Ina May will be informative and inspiring!

Mom to K and R

#5 of 20 Old 03-25-2009, 05:51 PM

For fun read baby catcher! LOVED it!

Then Ina May's guide to childbirth. LOVED IT also!

Then tried to read Birthing from within and couldn't get into it. A lot to do with the read- which is great, but I read at bedtime and it wasn't relaxng when I had to write, think and explore myself

And finally just finished The thinking woman's guide to a better childbirth. Liked it ok. Couldn't read more than two or three pages without falling asleep. But was good!

I am now taking a break- and I am going to read Twilight. Just to break my brain from birthing babies!

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#6 of 20 Old 03-25-2009, 06:47 PM

I really like Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and Birthing from Within. I also enjoyed the Mothering pregnancy publication when pg with ds. My favorite breastfeeding book is "so that's what they're their for" which is what convinced me to breastfeed ds. Also the LLL "womanly art of breastfeeding"
#7 of 20 Old 03-25-2009, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_mama View Post
I really like Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and Birthing from Within. I also enjoyed the Mothering pregnancy publication when pg with ds. My favorite breastfeeding book is "so that's what they're their for" which is what convinced me to breastfeed ds. Also the LLL "womanly art of breastfeeding"
That's just a great title -- "So that's What They're Their For."
#8 of 20 Old 03-25-2009, 07:11 PM

For pregnancy, I enjoyed a book called "Organic Pregnancy". Just don't drive yourself nuts trying to follow all of it...I just liked having the general ideas in my head.

For the birth (especially for home birth), I liked:

Ina May: Spiritual Midwifery (I read this in early labor last time )
Peggy Vincent: Baby Catcher

The best baby book by far, IMO, is Dr. Harvey Karp's "The Happiest Baby on the Block". I loan it out to everybody. That reminds me, have to get it back to review before this babe comes! I'm also a Dr. Sears fan, but I tend to get most of his info off his website. I also dig kellymom and, oh yeah, MDC

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

#9 of 20 Old 03-25-2009, 08:23 PM

a thinking woman's guide to a better birth by henci goer

gentle birth choices by barbara harper and suzanne arms

ina may's guide to childbirth by ina may gaskin

spiritual midwifery by ina may gaskin*

babycatcher by peggy vincent

TheJoy of Natural Childbirth by Helen Wessel

Birthing from Within*

AmericanWay of Birth

The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin

A Good Birth, A Safe Birth

MindOver Labor by Carl Jones

Birth Reborn by M. Odent

homebirth sheila kitzinger

The Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth

I've read them all already haha. And L.A.Mama, if your ped isnt on board, find another ped, or even better do the 'smile and nod' and do what ever the HELL you want.

UCing loud mouth, Fierce Protector of King Aiden, King Isaiah and Empress Estella
#10 of 20 Old 03-25-2009, 09:27 PM

Some not mentioned titles for pregnancy/birth:

Hearts & Hands: a midwife's guide to pregnancy and birth (a midwifery textbook, great for homebirth but still good for hospital)

Labor Progress Handbook by Penny Simkin (especially good for the partner or a mama who had a hard/complicated birth in the past. Basically walks through the entire birth process and explores what might cause problems, what can be done to resolve those problems, and potential downstream implications of those different options)

Mothering Magazine's Having a Baby, Naturally: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth by Peggy O'Mara

And already mentioned but great for after the birth:

The Baby Book and the Attachment Parenting Book by Dr Sears

Natural Family Living: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Parenting also by Peggy O'Mara

The Happiest Baby on the Block by Dr Karp (though a lot of his ideas are a bit obvious... he has a toddler book too that is pretty good as well)

No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley (though honestly I like her toddler version better... it has the same info as the baby book, but then goes on to look at sleep in older kiddos too).

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#11 of 20 Old 03-25-2009, 09:38 PM

Great suggestions here. Definitely get yourself some books on nursing -- I had no idea how useful those would be.

For solids Super Baby Food is incredibly useful -- tells you what to start when, how to make it, and how to get your kid super nutrified with all natural foods at home.

mama to magical 6 yr old and a full moon Aug baby:
#12 of 20 Old 03-25-2009, 09:43 PM

Oh, and websites!

The Kellymom Breastfeeding site has just about everything you'd ever want to know about breastfeeding (from day one to delayed solids, from major medical publications to show your dr/relatives to one liners to support your decision to nurse, from nursing your first to tandem nursing with a toddler, breastfeeding safe herbs/medications and breastfeeding related concerns like mastitis/thrush/over supply/low supply). Seriously every question I've had about breastfeeding in the past 5 years has been covered on that website.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#13 of 20 Old 03-27-2009, 01:54 AM

Great books listed so far! Others I really enjoyed:

Our Babies, Ourselves by Meredith Small (required reading IMO!!!)
The Continuum Concept by Jean Liedloff
Pushed by Jennifer Block (really brilliant!)
Caring for Infants with Respect by Magda Gerber
The Vaccine Book by Sears
Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide by Romm

Definitely get The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding or something by Jack Newman. Also ATTEND A LA LECHE LEAGUE MEETING (at least one) before the babies come. There's a day and night meeting in Silverlake: http://www.llli.org/Web/California.html

Mama to two girls 12/05 and 8/09

#14 of 20 Old 03-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Banned

Anything by Dr. Sears

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

For breastfeeding, I rarely see this book recommended, but it was a LIFESAVER to me. It's very straightforward, mother-to-mother format, and reassuring. It also had a handy chart for documenting feedings and wet/poopy diapers.

Bon Apetit Baby is the title.

I also agree with kellymom.com. That website is another lifesaver to me! Make sure to check it out before you give birth, read up on how milk making works, how supply works, and common breastfeeding concerns.
#15 of 20 Old 03-27-2009, 02:39 PM

I am reading how to make good cocktails!!!I can't wait to have one or five!!!

as for baby books the only one I read was Ina mays guide to childbirth.The sphincter thing really helped me.

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#16 of 20 Old 03-27-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimunklemama View Post
I am reading how to make good cocktails!!!I can't wait to have one or five!!!
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH!

I'm busting out the champagne and strawberries this go around RIGHT after birth!

UCing loud mouth, Fierce Protector of King Aiden, King Isaiah and Empress Estella
#17 of 20 Old 03-28-2009, 11:14 PM

Dr. Sears' The Baby Book is a MUST for all parents IMO. Peggy O'Mara's Natural Family Living. I can't say about her birth/pregnancy book but I have heard good things. As for websites besides kellymom.com askdrsears.com is full of such great info.

Oh and http://www.naturallyparentingtwins.com

I can also add NOT to read anything by Ezzo or Pearl.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#18 of 20 Old 03-29-2009, 12:40 AM

I'm trying NOT to read anything about pregnancy right now. occasionally I'll look through the pregnancy book (sears) but other than that I'm staying away for now. I'd already read every thing from ina may to penny simkin to freaking varney's midwifery and williams obstetrics, with some fun books on water birth and other random stuff thrown in for good measure before I got pregnant (not to mention all the 'political' birth stuff like immaculate deception and others). my brain needs a break from that so I can enjoy this.

I have been looking through the sears baby book and breastfeeding book. I gave my copy of so that's what they're for and womanly art of bfing away last year. I should pick them up again.
#19 of 20 Old 03-29-2009, 12:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Dr. Sears' The Baby Book is a MUST for all parents IMO. Peggy O'Mara's Natural Family Living. I can't say about her birth/pregnancy book but I have heard good things. As for websites besides kellymom.com askdrsears.com is full of such great info.

Oh and http://www.naturallyparentingtwins.com

I can also add NOT to read anything by Ezzo or Pearl.
:
#20 of 20 Old 03-29-2009, 04:17 PM

Anything from Ina May!!! I've ready Spiritual Midwifery and Guide to Childbirth already (mama sent it to me)
And am in the process of finishing The thinking womans guide to a better birth..
I was drawn to the Dr Sears book, but didnt buy it. So thanks to this thread and the like minded mamas I've seen in here, I will go buy it today! I need something new to read anyhooooo!!!!!

(to be honest, I'm nearing the point in my pregnancy where Im looking for things other than pregnancy related genres... I've done SO much reading since finding out that I feel a bit bogged down with all the info, and am ready to just experience my pregnancy the way it wants me to. But I have to admit, I'm ADDICTED to baby stories!)

Married to my best friend, and favorite person in the world... Proud 1st time mama to our son, Conway James. Born July 29th!::::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page