Brutally honest baby name thread - Page 18 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#511 of 521 Old 06-09-2009, 04:29 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Oh...help me too for DD.

Most of these are family names... I also need help combining them if possible. My son has three names + family names.

Tilden

Freya

Imogene
#512 of 521 Old 06-09-2009, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if you want to use all three, i'd split up the syllables...2-3-2...sounds better to me. and i like Tilden first, Tilden Imogene Freya Surname. you could call her Tillie.

living and working in DC - with Fig, two hairless kitties, dd Benedicte (10/06) and El Dos due 8/12!
#513 of 521 Old 06-09-2009, 05:35 PM

So we chose Gloriana-Rose Ajahna

her last name is Mangual.

We love it and thats all that matters, but sometimes I get funny looks when I tell people... Just wondering what ppl think really..

Gloria is for a patient I took care of who passed in December

Ana- is a form of ANN, my mom is Maryann

I loved Rose and the name Ajahna was so original, it means teacher in Thai.

So let me kno what you think!

Also my older is Abrielle Lisette... Opinions welcome there too and of the 2 together
#514 of 521 Old 06-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Mireille: Definitely spell it the "original" spelling, but it is pronounced Mee-Ray, if you say it in an English accent. It's pretty
Verity: Is that suppose to be "truth" in French (but mispelled)? Cute!
Dominique (dh fave) I *hate* the nn Dom, so I say NO.
Ruby (too trendy?) Yes, compared to your other choices, which are not trendy.
Corinne (nn Coco) How are you going to pronounce it? Core-In, or Core-Een (rhymes with chlorine)? I despise the 1st pronunciation, but like the 2nd.
Bele'n (that's an accent over the e): What sort of accent? Is it pronounced Bay-Len, Buh-Len, or what? It's unique, but I'm stuck on how it's pronounced...

JudiAU: I would pick the combo: Freya Imogene Tilden Last name. Is it Fray-ah or Free-ah? Is it Eemo-gin Eemo-jean, I-mo-gin, or I-mo-jean? Tilden is a car company in Canada, so to me it's like naming your child "Hertz" or "Alamo"!

Gloriana-Rose Ajahna Mangual: I'm not crazy about Gloriana, but I appreciate the meaning behind it and I think it will be a wonderful choice to commemorate those women. I think Ajahna is super-cool and it goes really well with Mangual. I would *prefer* Ajahna Gloriana-Rose Mangual, since she would primarily go by Ajahna Mangual, which I think sounds great! But whatever! You're lucky to have chosen such a meaningful name so early on!

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#515 of 521 Old 06-10-2009, 01:26 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
[QUOTE

JudiAU: I would pick the combo: Freya Imogene Tilden Last name. Is it Fray-ah or Free-ah? Is it Eemo-gin Eemo-jean, I-mo-gin, or I-mo-jean? Tilden is a car company in Canada, so to me it's like naming your child "Hertz" or "Alamo"!
[/QUOTE]

Good to know about the car company. It is actually my grandmother's family name going back about 300 years. I didn't realize there was a company with a similar name. Imogen is usually pronounced Im-o-gin and is an old English/Irish name. Freya is frey-a and is old Norse.

I should have specified that we don't need to combine all in some super scary name. =) We just like them all a lot and if I could come up with a way to combine two, possibly with a sturdy middle name I would be happy. Thoughts on individual names are cool too.

My son is Wolfram Charles Damsey. We call him Wolfie. Charles is the sturdy name and Damsey is the family name. I think we managed to combine two somewhat unusual names with some harmony.
#516 of 521 Old 06-10-2009, 04:10 PM

Shannon- I actually PREFER Ajahna as well. But my heart is so set on Gloriana, especially the GLoria part. I actually left the nursing home after she passed. I hated it there, but promised I would never leave her alone there. Her death was pretty nasty and although there were strict instructions to call me, no one did. She was left alone in her room, screaming while she could not breathe and the DR on call would not let them call an ambulance. The CNA's left her because she was "annoying" them. I had to leave after to avoid being violent with some of the CNA's who thought this was funny. I just miss her so much. There is nothing like an 80 year old lady who can make you laugh while wiping her rear end.. LOL She was awesome and everyday I think of her.
#517 of 521 Old 06-10-2009, 10:03 PM

I think Gloriana is beautiful and unique. :

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#518 of 521 Old 06-10-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post
I should have specified that we don't need to combine all in some super scary name. =) We just like them all a lot and if I could come up with a way to combine two, possibly with a sturdy middle name I would be happy. Thoughts on individual names are cool too.

My son is Wolfram Charles Damsey. We call him Wolfie. Charles is the sturdy name and Damsey is the family name. I think we managed to combine two somewhat unusual names with some harmony.
Well, to avoid the super-scary name, I would go with Freya - it's very pretty. I actually do like Imogen, but it's not feminin, IMO. I would do Freya (girly) Imogen (strong) Damsey

Torre - I think you've picked a wonderful way to honour your former friend/patient. It's feminin and not too cutesy. And definitely unique!

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#519 of 521 Old 06-11-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genomicsgirl View Post
well, to avoid the super-scary name, i would go with freya - it's very pretty. I actually do like imogen, but it's not feminin, imo. I would do freya (girly) imogen (strong) damsey

torre - i think you've picked a wonderful way to honour your former friend/patient. It's feminin and not too cutesy. And definitely unique!
thanks!
#520 of 521 Old 06-11-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
I think Gloriana is beautiful and unique. :
Thanks!!!
#521 of 521 Old 06-11-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post
Oh...help me too for DD.

Most of these are family names... I also need help combining them if possible. My son has three names + family names.

Tilden

Freya

Imogene
I love Imogene. I also like Freya. I would use Freya as the first and Imogene as the middle.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page