What is on your "must have" list for pp recovery? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 72 Old 04-19-2009, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting to build my labor and pp stash and wanted to know what you mamas absolutely must have on hand for pp recovery. I tend to be really sore, rip to shreds, and have issues with blisters from nursing. I need all the help I can get! Here is what I'm planning on so far:

After Ease tincture by Wishgarden for pp cramping
Arnica tablets
Advil for when the cramping gets really bad
disposable pp pads soaked in herbal bath then frozen
PP herbal bath for my peri bottle
Earth mama angel baby bottom balm - AWESOME STUFF
EMAB natural nipple butter butter

I need something to relieve the pain of engorgement. Last time it was so insanely painful. I had gerber hot/cold packs and they didn't do a thing.

What are you mamas planning on getting?

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#2 of 72 Old 04-19-2009, 10:20 PM

Cabbage leaves worked awesome for engorgement for me with my DD's. Put them in the fridge, when you get them out give them a rinse in cold water and pat dry, cut a hole out for your nipple and put inside your bra. Once they wilt, get more. The coldness of the leaves feels great when you are engorged and the cabbage produces a chemical that reduces your milk supply.
#3 of 72 Old 04-19-2009, 10:39 PM

Thank you for mentioning this and for sharing your list! I am just having my first baby, and even though I have planned much for the birth itself, I have been timid about thinking about the post-birth recovery for me. So I'm excited to hear what others have to say.

spiritedmama: how amazing about the cabbage leaves! Thank you!

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#4 of 72 Old 04-19-2009, 11:58 PM

I'm going to haunt this one as I'm delivering with an OB and won't have my midwife for support this time (different province, no midwives here available!)....

Tamika
Mum to 5 wonderful gifts!!
#5 of 72 Old 04-19-2009, 11:59 PM

Just as a side note, I used to date the Wishgarden lady's son and he is now a good friend of mine I should have stocked up on tinctures, hers are AWESOME
#6 of 72 Old 04-20-2009, 12:00 AM

I loved my sitz bath afterwards. But other than that, there was nothing else I really needed. maybe some nipple cream?
#7 of 72 Old 04-20-2009, 12:02 AM

Sorry, also wanted to add that I love this mama for all my tea and have been ordering mama stuff from her for a couple eyars now (and she is a mdc mom). I noticed she now has a sitz bath, so I am going to for sure order that!
Love and Tea
#8 of 72 Old 04-20-2009, 10:06 AM

The Love and Tea mama was in my dd1's DDC. She's wonderful and I'm so glad her business has expanded.

My pp kit (a lot of this is doubled in my birth kit, or just around the house first aid kit):

--honey infused with comfrey for putting on tears
--lansinoh or other nipple cream (I make my own because lanolin and I don't agree)
--aloe gel also for tears
--breast soothies and breast pads (though a prefold in a nursing tanks works at home)

--sitz bath blend (homemade)
--pp pads soaked in sitz bath and frozen
--disposable "heat pads" (alternate hot and cold to speed healing)

bach remedies
--Rescue Remedy for everything
--Olive for exhaustion
--Rock Rose for any birth trauma (from skid marks to c/s)

homeopathics
--Arnica for all sorts of physical birth trauma
--Aconite for any emotional shock or trauma
--Sepia for emotional numbness or exhaustion

herbal/aromatherapy
--RRL tea and Nursing tea
--lavender and clary sage oils for relaxation
--rose
--peppermint
--geranium
--ginger for circulation and warming

medications
--tylenol for pain/swelling
--gas x for gas
--colace for constipation

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#9 of 72 Old 04-20-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedmama View Post
Cabbage leaves worked awesome for engorgement for me with my DD's. Put them in the fridge, when you get them out give them a rinse in cold water and pat dry, cut a hole out for your nipple and put inside your bra. Once they wilt, get more. The coldness of the leaves feels great when you are engorged and the cabbage produces a chemical that reduces your milk supply.
Just as a warning, cabbage is can really really dry you up quickly. So, if you're going to try cabbage leaves, be careful. Here's what KellyMom recommends as far as cabbage leaves goes.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#10 of 72 Old 04-20-2009, 11:07 AM

Thanks Flower of Bliss! I was thinking I probably should have put a bit more info. in there about that
#11 of 72 Old 04-20-2009, 11:34 AM

ooooooooh. great links! thanks for thinking ahead, ladies.

mama to magical 6 yr old and a full moon Aug baby:
#12 of 72 Old 04-20-2009, 12:06 PM

After the hemorrage(sp) and 3rd degree tear with my daughter, Tucks pads or just cloths doused in witch hazel were my best friends!!!! Ahhhhhh!

Extra large maxis or a large cloth- the first time I gave birth, I was completely unprepared for the 5 weeks of bleeding that came afterward. Someone left that out of my pre-birthing talks.

I'm not sure about BF, I never had any milk come in, and I never got engorged... I tried to BF, but I was unable to. I will try again this time, but if he is not getting anything, I will be more prepared and not feel as guilty this time.

**Jessica:Mommy to Laynie Claire 10/22/2007 and Ryan Wesson 8/14/2009: Loving my Marine Colt**
#13 of 72 Old 04-20-2009, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

I love cabbage leaves for extreme engorgement. I used them as a last resort both times because for some reason my body makes enough milk to feed a small country. When you say it can "dry you up" do you mean your milk, your skin (ouch!), or both? I could stand to lose a little milk but would hate to get dry skin because I usually get blisters and don't want to make things worse.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#14 of 72 Old 04-20-2009, 01:40 PM

Cabbage leaves can reduce milk supply... so they can be an over-supply mama's best friend, but a nightmare for a low-supply mama.

For engorgement they work well, but if you know you have supply problems or suspect you might then it's better to stick with something else or to only use the cabbage leaves as a "one time treatment" option.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#15 of 72 Old 04-20-2009, 03:36 PM

Uh..lets see..A house cleaner and a cook ::

I have not actually thought about this yet but I am :

Thanks to all

Mama to DS 10/06, DD & DS 08/09
#16 of 72 Old 04-20-2009, 03:41 PM

the only thing i had really thought of was arnica and sitz.
i'm so glad this thread came up. Although as we get closer i'll have more talks with my MW about this so i'm not really worried.

Mom to K and R

#17 of 72 Old 04-28-2009, 10:23 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The hospital I delivered at had these pads that you twisted and they would get cold. Heaven. Anything cold was great.
#18 of 72 Old 04-29-2009, 12:49 AM

Advil, tylenol and cal/mag to manage after birth cramps. W/ all that they still sucked last time.
Some new nursing/lounge jammies. I had some last time w/ Eiley I loved and was just thinking I want another pair.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#19 of 72 Old 04-29-2009, 08:19 AM

I love this thread. Great ideas ladies!

One thing I am planning on having on hand this time around is more food. I ate so much pizza and junk food after DD was born. I asked my hubby to start a big pot of nourishing soup when I go into labor, and I can chop veggies to have the time pass. Then when I have the baby, all the midwives and I can enjoy a nice bowl of soup.
#20 of 72 Old 04-29-2009, 09:38 AM

Colace
curved Poise pads for pp bleeding (I think they are actually for incontinence but someone gave them to me after ds and they were great)
a couple pairs of pj's I can answer the door in and feel comfortable visiting w/ people in
oatmeal cookies: they are supposed to help w/ milk supply (and easy to eat)

I'd like to try some type of tea(?) in the peri bottle this time. Any suggestions?
#21 of 72 Old 04-29-2009, 05:54 PM

-I absolutely must has Soothie Pads. These saved me from totally giving up nursing with my son. My nipples had actually split apart and there was a point where my son was drinking as much blood as milk (sorry tmi). Lanolin cream was messy and I didn't really want my son to eat it.

-Nursing pads and lots of cotton rags to catch milk. Although this time I might try to donate all my extra milk to a baby in need.

-Sitz bath

-Emergen-C

-Cute cotton summer dresses to wear around the house, etc. This should be better than pj sets because it will be hot out.

-My best girlfriend to help around the house.

-Lots of fruit. Someone mentioned soup, but I can't imagine eating anything so hot in mid-August...

-Pain killers

-Tons of over-sized pads

-Stretchy, cotton, nursing bras or sports bras

-Underwear that I can throw away

-Cal/Mag (which I always take anyway for muscle pain)

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of them now.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#22 of 72 Old 04-29-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
-Lots of fruit. Someone mentioned soup, but I can't imagine eating anything so hot in mid-August...
Soup doesn't have to be hot! There are lots of cold soup options... my favorite is a yogurt/mint/cucumber/hint of garlic soup. Oh, and cold cherry of course. Mmmmmm.

#23 of 72 Old 04-29-2009, 05:59 PM

nak

I am so going to freeze pads- that would have been great with DD!

I have All-purpose nipple ointment on hand that I had asked my doc for recently. I blistered on my nipples within the first 2 hours after dd was born. I only found out about APNO months later when we had thrush and it helped so much- for all kinds of nursing issues.

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#24 of 72 Old 04-29-2009, 06:01 PM

not in your ddc, but:
thanks for the thread!
I would suggest getting some things together to do wile you're nursing. Some good books, a nice water bottle, knitting, whatever....

mama to Journey (1/07) Sequoia (1/07) and Camellia (7/09)
#25 of 72 Old 04-29-2009, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

What are soothies?? I get nasty blisters and have the whole nip bleeding issue too so I'd love something to help with that!

#26 of 72 Old 04-29-2009, 08:23 PM

The soothies I know (I got them at Target) are sort of stick on gel blobs. They're round blue gel pads that you place on your nipple and they cool things off/prevent rubbing. Similar to those blue gel stick on fever-reducing things they sell for children?

#27 of 72 Old 04-29-2009, 08:35 PM

The only thing I didn't like about Soothies was that you had to wash your nipple after using/before nursing. Which ended up irritating all the blisters/cuts that I got, even gently wiping/rinsing with water.

But they're great for soreness.

#28 of 72 Old 04-30-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Soup doesn't have to be hot! There are lots of cold soup options... my favorite is a yogurt/mint/cucumber/hint of garlic soup. Oh, and cold cherry of course. Mmmmmm.
Hmmm, you're right. I never make cold soup so it didn't even occur to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouso View Post
The only thing I didn't like about Soothies was that you had to wash your nipple after using/before nursing. Which ended up irritating all the blisters/cuts that I got, even gently wiping/rinsing with water.

But they're great for soreness.
Uhm, I never washed my nipple before or after using Soothies. Although I did rinse the Soothies off and re-use them for a couple of days. I didn't know that you're supposed to clean your nipple too? Is there some sort of chemical in them that needs to be washed off? I didn't like lanolin or cream because it had to be washed off completely in between feedings (sometimes every 10 minutes). My nipples were so torn up (one of the worst cases my midwives had ever seen) that I couldn't wipe them at all. It took everything I had just to keep nursing. These really helped me heal and feel better.

Soothies actually work by keeping your skin moisturized and completely cut off to oxygen. They are very similar to burn relief pads that are often given by doctors for serious burns (only they're breast shaped). I started off by using burn relief pads before finding Soothies (which were much harder to come by 5 years ago).

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#29 of 72 Old 04-30-2009, 10:06 AM

I guess the soup thing doesn't bother me because my hot summer is almost to Canada and it isn't that hot here.
#30 of 72 Old 04-30-2009, 12:39 PM

[QUOTE=Abraisme;13680421

Uhm, I never washed my nipple before or after using Soothies. Although I did rinse the Soothies off and re-use them for a couple of days. I didn't know that you're supposed to clean your nipple too? Is there some sort of chemical in them that needs to be washed off? I didn't like lanolin or cream because it had to be washed off completely in between feedings (sometimes every 10 minutes). My nipples were so torn up (one of the worst cases my midwives had ever seen) that I couldn't wipe them at all. It took everything I had just to keep nursing. These really helped me heal and feel better.
.[/QUOTE]

http://soothies.com/gelpads_faqs.html :

Quote:
Do I need to wash my breast after Soothies are removed to breastfeeding?
Gently wipe or cleanse your breast prior to breastfeeding to remove any gel residue.
I was told to not wash lanolin off, and everything I've read says the same, including Lansinoh's site.

I swore by The All-Purpose Nipple Ointment, though. It REALLY helps with all nipple issues and doesn't have to be washed off either. Even though I'm still nursing my DD I have some I got just in case, I think it would have made nursing so much better from the start and kept the thrush away.

I was like you, with terrible blisters/cuts immediately. Then thrush, oversupply, Reynaud's, plugged ducts. I just tried to keep myself from screaming for a couple of months whenever we nursed. I would get some of the APNO to have on hand at the first signs of discomfort.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page