Question.. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-26-2009, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How often are those of you that are 6 months or more along feeling baby move?

I get really nervous when I dont feel the baby move for a few hours at a time and that seems to be happening a lot the past couple days. I'm so paranoid!

Happy mama to Asia born 07/15
#2 of 21 Old 04-26-2009, 08:53 PM

I am 25 weeks and I am honestly not feeling him very often or very hard. Maybe a few times a day and especially right after I eat something sweet.

I know it is because of where the placenta attached and was warned not to freak out if I didn't feel him as much as I felt DS.

I have only seen him move with a little poke on the outside once or twice.

Pernille, Married to : mom to my 2 littel boys :4/12/07 and : 8/24/09
#3 of 21 Old 04-26-2009, 09:29 PM

I'm 23 weeks and the baby's movements are still pretty gentle most of the time. I can only feel kicks, I have yet to feel any other body parts moving.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#4 of 21 Old 04-27-2009, 12:20 AM

I hadnt felt baby that much today until ds was playing with his toy horn and that got bubby going! lol This baby seems really sensitive to sounds and movements. More then Ds did anyways.

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :
#5 of 21 Old 04-27-2009, 01:00 AM

I am 23 weeks and feel the baby every so many hours. I am trying to not worry too much until we are a bit further along, around 26 weeks or so. I have an anterior placenta, so I know that blocks some of the feeling of movement. But I think the placenta has moved more to the side because of where I am feeling movement and where I have never felt movement.
#6 of 21 Old 04-27-2009, 01:30 AM

My baby moves a ton. However, I'll often go several hours without feeling anything. Sometimes she moves all day and other days she is a lot more quiet. I think it's pretty normal..

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#7 of 21 Old 04-27-2009, 01:53 AM

I just make sure I feel her twice a day or so. There is not much use worrying can do at this point anyway, honestly, so I just try to relax.
#8 of 21 Old 04-27-2009, 08:15 AM

I'll be 25 weeks tommorrow and am feeling baby move pretty often but like you, sometimes not for hours - so basicly just kicks still. I find if I want to feel him, all I have to do is lie down - either on my back (for a few seconds) or on my stomach Either way he inevitably starts squirming!!
#9 of 21 Old 04-27-2009, 09:17 AM

So glad you posted this question. I am 26 weeks and I am feeling the baby mainly at night, and sometimes not at all during the day. I guess I am running around too much to focus on it. I do remember with my last pregnancy feeling it way more often and much harder.
#10 of 21 Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 AM

I'm 25+ weeks. I can go most of the day w/o feeling movement. Though when I'm still (watching a movie, in bed, just finished eating, in the car with dh driving) I do feel quite a bit of movement so I don't worry about it. Baby has earned the nn Kung-Fu. Though the more intense kicks and jabs happen only once a day and not every day. I also think our babe is moving positions a lot. Some days the movements are much more subtle and lower/farther back. Other days I get hard jabs front and center. So I very a lot too. I think this is probably normal. Try not to worry too much!
#11 of 21 Old 04-27-2009, 02:21 PM

There are times when the movement is non-stop and there are times when I don't feel anything for hours and hours. I read that babies have down times when they don't feel like moving around so much. I also think there are times he could be moving but I'm not in tune with it because I'm busy moving too!

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#12 of 21 Old 04-27-2009, 03:25 PM

Related question that's really stupid, I know, but this is my first time. For some reason it never occurred to me that you'd feel the baby move a lot. Dumb, but I just always though it gave a kick every so often and that was it.

But mine seems pretty active.. every couple hours it will really get going for a few minutes, and when I lie down on my side it loves to kick right against the bed.

How much are you *supposed* to feel it move? I'm at 24 weeks now -- do you get to a point where it's moving all the time? Is not feeling it move for a couple hours bad? How do you figure out what's normal?
#13 of 21 Old 04-28-2009, 10:54 AM

I feel movement often, but there are a few long stretches during the day where it's quiet, so I take it babe is sleeping during those hours. Perhaps I should write it down and see if he/she will continue these naptimes after birth.

Christine, SAHM to DD ('05), DS1 ('07) and : DS2 ('09)
#14 of 21 Old 04-28-2009, 11:11 AM

I feel him move all day long! He's very very active - more active than my last 2 (and I don't remember how active my first was). I am 24 weeks.

I don't know how often you're "suppose" to feel a baby move at this point - The Drs don't have you do the fetal movement test (10 movements in 1 hour) until closer to 32 or so weeks (from what I remember).

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#15 of 21 Old 04-28-2009, 12:35 PM

I haven't noticed when I feel him or how often but I do know he is usually pretty active at night. I'm 22w and I think because this is my 4th he thinks he needs to utilize all the space, now! I mean he is already in my ribs so much and sliding his feet across my stomach.
#16 of 21 Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 PM

23 weeks and s/he moves like clockwork, when they don't move I just figure that they are taking it easy that day. But this is my third so I'm not as paranoid.

Is this your first?

UCing loud mouth, Fierce Protector of King Aiden, King Isaiah and Empress Estella
#17 of 21 Old 04-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Banned

Uh....a lot. Sometimes it feels like all the time. But there are periods that several hours go by without a thump, then she starts in again.
#18 of 21 Old 04-29-2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalconyBirdie View Post
How much are you *supposed* to feel it move? I'm at 24 weeks now -- do you get to a point where it's moving all the time? Is not feeling it move for a couple hours bad? How do you figure out what's normal?
whenever you get nervous, you can do kick-counts. just lie down on your left side for 2 hours and see if the baby kicks 10 times in those 2 hours. if so, everything is fine. it usually only takes 15-20 minutes or so, though, at least in my experience.

as pp said, when i'm active, i don't feel much at all. but as soon as i lie down, look out! which is a relief, but also stinks a little, since that's when i'd like to be able to rest....

s momsling.GIF - JW asl.gif writing geek.gif wifey to j aaman.gif  (11/03) and cd.gif  homeschool.gif  knit.gif sewmachine.gif read.gif mommy to s dreads.gif (10/04), l kewl.gif (8/08), j diaper.gif (8/09), and little s boc.gif (12/12)

#19 of 21 Old 04-29-2009, 10:49 AM

I read somewhere that while you are active and walking about it rocks the baby to sleep so it would be normal not to feel anything until you sit down or try to sleep. I heard this is why babies often have their nights and days mixed up when they are born....Seems to be pretty true with me anyway....
#20 of 21 Old 04-29-2009, 05:48 PM

This kid moves constantly- he even kicked DH in the nose the other night when he was talking to him.

DD didn't move this much at all, I think it also depends on the baby.

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#21 of 21 Old 04-29-2009, 07:47 PM

A lot depends on the babe, your uterus, and on your placental location.

Some babes are really active and like to kick and roll and walk and do all sorts of wiggly things. Others are more laid back and happy to have mama's activity lull them to sleep. Plus a bigger babe can sometimes pack a bigger wiggle than a smaller babe, so your individual babe's growth makes a difference.

In terms of the uterus, a tipped uterus might mean you have less sensation. A "lived in" uterus (mama has already had a babe) offers more room and since things are a bit looser in there the babe has more room to stretch, meaning you might have more sensation.

And if you have an anterior placenta (the placenta is in the front) then you may not feel as much movement until much later in the pregnancy since the placenta acts as a cushy layer between you and the babe. I had an anterior placenta with dd2 (it's more common to have this if you've had a c/s or other uterine scarring in the past) and I knew exactly where the edges of the placenta were!

Me personally, with the babe, I'm almost always getting a wiggle show in the early morning and early/mid evenings. In the last week I've started feeling things pretty constantly during the day... a jab here, a roll there... with maybe a few quiet hours in between each show. I'm about 24.5 weeks and this is babe number three.

Also, while it's always ok to call your provider, many times they will ask if you've done a kick count. Drink some juice, lay on your left side, and if there aren't 10 movements within 2 hours call your provider. However, it's usually best to do a kick count at the same time during the day so you have a good feel for whether your babe is actually having a slow day or not.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page