For Homebirthers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you're going to have an "emergency bag" for the hospital (just in case), what are you planning on packing?

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 11:38 AM

as long as we know where the laptop, powercord, camera and video camera is we will be fine.

When I had DS in the hospital I packed all sorts of things and guess what, never used a single one. I have decided this time to just let it go and not worry about it.

Pernille, Married to : mom to my 2 littel boys :4/12/07 and : 8/24/09
#3 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 11:39 AM

I added a change of clothes for everyone to my homebirth supply bag. If we ended up transferring, we'd have stuff we didn't need, but everything we could possibly want.

hh2.gif

#4 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 04:49 PM

I'm not packing one. I refuse to put that sort of energy out there.

UCing loud mouth, Fierce Protector of King Aiden, King Isaiah and Empress Estella
#5 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am not packing one either! Plus I have so much junk in my car that I could probably pull something together just from there.
#6 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 05:46 PM

I'm not even considering that as an option. I figure how hard can it be for someone to pop over to my house and grab a few things for me if need be. I agree with not putting energy into that. I'm ok with it happening if needbe, but I'm planning a homebirth...not a homebirth with a possible transfer

However, if I were wanting to pack one, I'd be simple--throw in a pair of jammies, 2 outfits for baby and some diapers/blanket/hat. Anything else can be grabbed later by your dh or mom or whoever.

Sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#7 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 05:51 PM

Not to sure what to pack. All I really need to function is my contact and glasses! Otherwise I am legally blind! But when do you pack this bag? I can't pack it now. Do I just make a list and post it on the fridge for hubby (just incase)? Or do I pack it when I go into labor? Yet, do I really want to put that enery out there????

Just one more decision to make in this crazy journey.

Interested in green living and money saving ideas? GreenThriftyMama.blogspot.com
Mama to my little dude
#8 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 06:46 PM

This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoet View Post
i'm not packing one. I refuse to put that sort of energy out there.

Mom to K and R

#9 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I was planning on packing one but...yeah. I totally agree with this. Not gonna do it.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#10 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 11:06 PM

I'm packing one just in case because I'm a planner. It would really suck to not have one in an emergency then to have to fumble around while in labor and try to think about what I need. I don't feel it is putting negative energy out there I feel like it is planning for the best but being prepared for the worst. I'm packing:

Clothes and diapers for baby
Clothes, nursing bras, and nursing gowns for me
camera
money
EMAB nursing cream
EMAB bottom balm
toothbrush for DH and I
snacks
Cell phone charger

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#11 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 11:44 PM

I didn't pack one with ds and I'm not planning on packing one this time around either. I do plan on putting a couple of signs for the baby's bassinet (no circ, no vax, breastfed baby, etc) into the glove compartment in my car, just in case. Anything else someone can go and get when we need them. A lot of things I'd want to pack are already in my general emergency bag in the car (change of clothes, toothbrushes, etc), so no need to double up.
#12 of 21 Old 05-01-2009, 01:09 AM

I won't pack one. If we transfer, I'll deal with what we grab on the way out and what's available at the hospital until someone can fetch me things I want.

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
#13 of 21 Old 05-01-2009, 11:32 AM

This is my 3rd homebirth (or it's supposed to be . It has honestly never occurred to me to pack a bag just in case. I did write a transfer birth plan last time, which I had my MW put in her chart, which she would have brought with me in case of emergency. I guess that's the thing, though. If I transfer, it will be for a real emergency. That means the emergency system of family and friends will kick in and there will be plenty of helpers to take my kids, bring me stuff, watch out for the baby, etc. I guess if I lived far from helpers, I might feel differently. But I don't keep a bag packed just in case my kid breaks a leg and I have to go to the emergency room, YK? All bets are off and I don't feel an obligation to have been prepared for the completely un-expected. (Well, okay, maybe with my kids I OUGHT to expect a trip to the ER, but we haven't been there yet [knock wood] in 5 years as parents, so . . ..)

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#14 of 21 Old 05-01-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I had originally intended to pack one but now I am on the fence about it for the same reason you aren't packing one. I'm worried it will become some kind of self fulfilling prophecy.

If I was going to pack a bag though this is what I would put in it:

change of clothes, shoes and socks for the both of us
nursing bra and underwear
pack of hair ties
comb and brush
toothbrushes for both of us along with toothpaste
travel size lotion, shampoo, condition, bodywash and other toiletries
pj's, slippers, robe
assortment of snack items for both of us
several water bottles
newborn items (clothing, diapers, receiving blankets, socks, hat, outfit, baby grooming kit)
waterproof pads (these are being kept in the car)
boppy and nipple cream
books/music/cell/camera/camcorder
address/phone book so we can notify family
about $150 in cash
birth plan
insurance info

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#15 of 21 Old 05-01-2009, 05:03 PM

I'm not packing one. IF something were to happen, my husband could run home and grabbed whatever I needed. I'm not concerned about it.

married to my best friend, stillheart.gif britt, since 8.12.2004 ...homeschooling mama to my girls: avi born 8.3.05, my ryan leanor 1.5.08, azia 9.2.09, and #4 a BOY! due in november 2011.  homebirth.jpg

#16 of 21 Old 05-02-2009, 11:00 AM

I've been thinking about this for a while and here are my thoughts:

While I completely understand not wanting to put negative energy out there about transferring I can't help but to feel like it is something that needs to be considered. Yeah none of us wants to have to transfer, but there is always the very small possibility. I feel like not even addressing the fact that a transfer may have to happen sets you up for a whirlwind of emotions (and possibly even PPD) if it does end up happening. It is sort of like being set in your birth plan and not even imagining that your birth could go otherwise.

I've been on MDC for 6 years now and I've seen this pattern repeated time and time again. It sets mom up for feeling like a failure when she fails to remain open to whatever may need to happen during birth. If you take a trip over to the PPD forum you'll see what I'm talking about. Birth doesn't always work out the way you hope, and I think it is important to have a mental backup plan because it forces you to acknowledge that even though you have a hope for how the birth will go it is not set in stone. Anything can happen.

My whole point is that the women that I've seen who are not even open to considering the possibility of their birth not going as planned are the ones at the highest risk for PPD and PTSD when the plans do have to change. We as women and mothers need to prepare ourselves for anything that may come our way and that means researching and planning for things that we hope may never happen. For example: you hope that you will never die before your children are grown but you still make out a will with custody arrangements to make sure they are taken care of if the unthinkable happens.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#17 of 21 Old 05-02-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
I've been thinking about this for a while and here are my thoughts:

While I completely understand not wanting to put negative energy out there about transferring I can't help but to feel like it is something that needs to be considered. Yeah none of us wants to have to transfer, but there is always the very small possibility. I feel like not even addressing the fact that a transfer may have to happen sets you up for a whirlwind of emotions (and possibly even PPD) if it does end up happening. It is sort of like being set in your birth plan and not even imagining that your birth could go otherwise.

I've been on MDC for 6 years now and I've seen this pattern repeated time and time again. It sets mom up for feeling like a failure when she fails to remain open to whatever may need to happen during birth. If you take a trip over to the PPD forum you'll see what I'm talking about. Birth doesn't always work out the way you hope, and I think it is important to have a mental backup plan because it forces you to acknowledge that even though you have a hope for how the birth will go it is not set in stone. Anything can happen.

My whole point is that the women that I've seen who are not even open to considering the possibility of their birth not going as planned are the ones at the highest risk for PPD and PTSD when the plans do have to change. We as women and mothers need to prepare ourselves for anything that may come our way and that means researching and planning for things that we hope may never happen. For example: you hope that you will never die before your children are grown but you still make out a will with custody arrangements to make sure they are taken care of if the unthinkable happens.
Thanks for putting it that way. It makes a lot of sense.

Interested in green living and money saving ideas? GreenThriftyMama.blogspot.com
Mama to my little dude
#18 of 21 Old 05-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Banned

I'm not going to have one. I feel like doing that would kinda give my birth negative energy....I have a relatively firm belief that I will not transfer. If I do, my hubby can pack some stuff for me and bring it to me in the hospital (assuming we have to rush, otherwise I can just pack it really quick).

I've definitely addressed and thought about transfer, it's a fear of mine I have worked through. And I absolutely will transfer if I have to. The thing is, if I thought about every rare possibility of birth...I'd just terrify myself, you know? A big part of homebirth for me is the aspect of letting go. Yes, anything can happen, but where is the line between being prepared and focusing on the negative?
#19 of 21 Old 05-02-2009, 04:12 PM

I live 6 blocks from the hospital. I know from experience (being in the hospital with DD 1 year ago) they have toiletries there that they give you and stuff so I would just send someone home for the camera (which hopefully we would grab on our way) or whatever. I am remaining open to whatever comes and will discuss the transferring option with DH, Mom, and midwife so everyone would know what their role would be should the need arise. However, I am also spending more time and energy preparing for the homebirth......decluttering, deep cleaning etc. so during birth I can remain calm and peaceful and not worry about the little stuff
#20 of 21 Old 05-02-2009, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
don't feel it is putting negative energy out there I feel like it is planning for the best but being prepared for the worst.
Yeah, I agree. I'm a planner too. I'm not going to focus on it, but I'm going to pack it and get it out of my sight, but know it's packed so that I *can* be calm and relax. I dont' see how there would be time in case of an emergency (hemorrhage for instance) to remember to grab things like contact solution and cases, glasses, etc...no way.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#21 of 21 Old 05-03-2009, 12:39 AM

I haven't even thought about this. I didn't pack one last time because it didn't occur to me. I figure if I need to transfer I grab my wallet and cameras. I can always just come home in the clothes I went there in and they do provide you so many things there. I also figure if I'm transferring, I'm getting a c-section so who cares what I'm wearing
Oh, we'll probably already have the car seat in the van, and someone can always run home to get a onesie for him.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page