-{May 18-24 Weekly Wonder}- - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 05-20-2009, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut Chronicles View Post
Not a stupid question at all... I wasn't familiar with them myself until I moved to the US. It's basically diapers (usually disposables) made in the shape of a cake: CLICK

Some of them are pretty darn expensive! I keep looking at them and thinking man I could buy a whole cloth diaper stash with that amount of money lol.

WOW - baby showers are not done so much over here - and diaper cakes, thats a whole different world.

Talula Fairie you and your dh spend 2-4 hours a day cleaning your house! i sort of potter round after my boys (and 2 dogs, and 2 cats) cleaning up as i go and then collapse on the sofa when they finally go to bed thinking ' i should really clean this house'. once a week we have a mad panic because people are visiting and it needs not to be such a hole.

My MIL keeps on asking me how its been going with the midwife and i have to admit i've been to the booking in appointment at 15 weeks, and popped to the hospital for a scan at 22 weeks but i've not been back since. Midwife said i could come to which ever appointments i wanted too and up until 28 weeks they just do pee in a pot, blood pressure and listen to the baby, so i skip it. But i am popping along this friday as they will do some blood tests etc and i like to keep them happy and on side, so they don't think i'm too alternative. We had an intentional whoops UC last time, but have changed counties so they local hospital etc does not have any records, don't want them thinking i might do the same this time, they will only panic.

Ordered some herbs for birth & PP last night and asked my friend for her birthing pool, need to order a new liner etc. Not sure what else i need... a few more nursing bras etc might wait until after and see what my boobs do this time.

Our study is nearly done, just need to start on the main downstairs room next month, get some shelves up and the house more organised. I've been cleaning a re-organising my (tiny) kitchen cupboards, makes me happy to see them clean and tidy and wish the rest of the house might look a little more like them.

I'd not been too bad on the pregnancy symptoms until last night, propped up with pillows to stop the heart burn and then restless legs (how much do i hate that) and every time i tried to stretch out my legs they cramped, so i had to try and un-cramp them without waking up ds2 who had taken up 80% of the bed by that time. Oh and i've got a cold, which i treated with a little too much vit c, and we all know what that can do, not great when you've got piles!

But apart from all that, happily pregnant and enjoying home educating my two boys who have been rather happy and co-operative this week (so far).

Mummy to T 06/04, L 08/06, R 08/09
:
#32 of 57 Old 05-20-2009, 08:42 AM

Puddle - I take a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement for restless legs and leg cramps. It helps TREMENDOUSLY!

It's something that my grandmother always insisted upon for her girls and now my mother has passed the knowledge on to me.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#33 of 57 Old 05-20-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoremybabe View Post
Puddle - I take a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement for restless legs and leg cramps. It helps TREMENDOUSLY!
Another thing that can help is iron, I had it w/ my last pregnancy, took Floradix and it went away.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#34 of 57 Old 05-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Banned

no, we spend an hour or two each day, more or less. for me it's usually less depending on how I'm feeling.

man, I just saw the election results of our special election to balance the budget, I am scared. Nothing passed, not even the few good ones, except one. my husband's job in serious jeopardy because he works for the state we've already received two "you might get laid off" letters. we turned our lives upsidown for this job...four months of training and being away from the family during those months, investing hundreds and hundreds in uniforms, not to mention the cost of moving 100 miles away. This is our whole future. If he loses this job, we could go back to living on practically nothing, except we'll have THREE kids to support. Just the stress I need to add fun to my pregnancy.
#35 of 57 Old 05-20-2009, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Oh Talula, I'm sorry... I'll keep fingers, toes, hair, etc crosse that it all works out. I feel so lucky that while DH technically works for the state his position is also backed-up by private grants and research income. But his support staff is pretty shaky since their budget line was basically cut to the bone... they're using grant money for almost 100% of their salaries, but you can't ever be certain your grant will be renewed. It's nerve wracking. Hang in there!

So our local thrift store was having a 50% off "family" items and I actually got a stroller! We're not really a "stroller family" but there it was... a front spot for the babe and a jump seat/standing ledge for dd2 (dd1 was really upset that there wasn't a seat for her too, but she just turned 4... plenty old enough to walk though I told her she and dd2 could share the back seat). I figured it was 50% off, in good shape (the previous owner had kept ALL the paperwork and extra screws and little bits of stuff... even the original plastic bagging!), and with three kiddos under 4 it would probably get used! Certainly the grandmothers will be happy to have the option.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#36 of 57 Old 05-20-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut Chronicles View Post
That is awesome! I'm in Windermere... does she have a website?
She works mostly wedding-related events with a professional photographer. Her last name is Warren and you see her pics and find out about her here:

http://www.heatherahrens.com/blog/20...efanie-warren/

mama to magical 6 yr old and a full moon Aug baby:
#37 of 57 Old 05-21-2009, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Had my GTT this morning and although they had to poke two different fingers (the first wasn't a "bleeder" and with the super small sample size the test machine kept coming up with crazy low numbers) I "passed". My iron was a touch low but not a problem, my blood pressure was good, and the babe was happy and wiggly.

This afternoon I'll be meeting a different set of midwives/obs who deliver locally. I'd really like to stay at our local hospital but we'll see how this meeting goes!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#38 of 57 Old 05-22-2009, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

So... update. I had really high hopes for this second midwife/OB practice. Not so much for "them" really (they're not very crunchy) but I did hope to stay at my local hospital (where I've had two babes and the staff is really natural birth friendly) and not have to worry about driving as much/arranging funky schedules/etc.

Well... I suppose I should be grateful that the midwife I spoke with was pretty up front. She was very pro-vbac till she saw my medical history and then she basically told me a vbac wouldn't happen with their practice. Yes, they attend vbac, but given my history she wouldn't recommend trying and she knew the OBs would ask me to schedule at 39 weeks. On top of that, she insisted on using the "wrong" date (my lmp, not my conception date) so really what she was saying was rc/s at 38 weeks. She did say I could talk with an OB about this, but they're booked straight until the last week of June. And then she said that because they're so busy as a practice they've taken on two new backup OBs and I happen to know that the practice those two OBs run on their own has a c/s rate of over 50% (primary c/s) and some months they top 80% c/s. As a vbac my birth would be attended by the on call OB (not a prenatal care midwife) and the odds of getting one of these two OBs would be pretty high. So that was the icing on the cake.

I may not be thrilled with the commute to the further off hospital, and the midwife/ob team there may not be 100% yay-vbac, but it looks like that's where I'm going to stay.

#39 of 57 Old 05-22-2009, 10:23 AM

Wombat- sorry to hear about the provider trouble. At least you have a back up plan.

So, I took a vacation day today to get stuff done. DH is at work and DS is at daycare. A whole day (9-4pm) to do baby laundry, clean the upstairs including the closets and if time allows take pictures of my yarn stash and knit for a few hours on the baby blanket that is almost done.

So really, I need to get off line and get started

Pernille, Married to : mom to my 2 littel boys :4/12/07 and : 8/24/09
#40 of 57 Old 05-22-2009, 10:33 AM

Pernillep - How lucky are you! I often wonder how much I'd get done with no children in tow. It makes me wonder if I could arrange something so that one of my sisters watches my kiddos for a day... it sounds unreal!

Enjoy your day!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#41 of 57 Old 05-22-2009, 03:34 PM

Sorry to hear about all the care issues, Wombat.

Woohoo -- 'passed' the glucose challenge test well in the normal range. Was really worried about that since I started this pregnancy significantly overweight.

Baby is still measuring a little on the big side -- 31" at 28 weeks. I'm hoping it doesn't take after hubby's side of the family (both he and his brother were almost 11lbs). Does anyone know if it's possible to just have a big baby even if you don't have GD and even if you're not gaining a lot of weight? (My net total gain is 1lb).
#42 of 57 Old 05-22-2009, 04:26 PM

So I just put the newborn and 0-3 month hand me downs from DS in the laundry.

I have more onsies than I will know what to do with. Honestly, while cleaning up I found 3 unopened packets and I probably just put 20 in the wash. How did I end up with so many? I guess that is what everyone assumes you need. Well, since we cloth diaper I prefer t-shirts so I can use my cute wool covers. Think I may cut some and hem for shirts so I don't have to do buy a ton of shirts since it appears I have only a few of those.

I also just realized I only have 2 sleepers so I may get a few more of those for fall.

#43 of 57 Old 05-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Banned

Now that I'm 7 months pregnant with my third baby, it looks like my husband is going to get laid off. We are fairly sure now. HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN? This was supposed to be a safe job. That was the point of taking this job. I feel like I am watching our entire future go down the drain.

Roger was one month shy of the cutoff date for layoffs.

All that money spent (close to 2,000 on uniforms and related gear), relocating our family 100 miles away (another 3,000), the hell that was him gone at the Academy for four months (including a breakdown and hospitalization for me after a miscarriage that I suffered through alone), all for nothing. NOTHING! Now I am stuck in the stupid valley, away from my friends, feeling more alone than ever before.

I just want to bury myself in a hole and never come out.
#44 of 57 Old 05-23-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
Now that I'm 7 months pregnant with my third baby, it looks like my husband is going to get laid off. We are fairly sure now. HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN? This was supposed to be a safe job. That was the point of taking this job. I feel like I am watching our entire future go down the drain.

Roger was one month shy of the cutoff date for layoffs.

All that money spent (close to 2,000 on uniforms and related gear), relocating our family 100 miles away (another 3,000), the hell that was him gone at the Academy for four months (including a breakdown and hospitalization for me after a miscarriage that I suffered through alone), all for nothing. NOTHING! Now I am stuck in the stupid valley, away from my friends, feeling more alone than ever before.

I just want to bury myself in a hole and never come out.
- thats really harsh, hope it all turns out ok

Mummy to T 06/04, L 08/06, R 08/09
:
#45 of 57 Old 05-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleduck View Post

- thats really harsh, hope it all turns out ok
Me too. I'm trying to look at the positives. He has a year of law enforcement experience now. He qualifies for other law enforcement positions, stuff we couldn't get before because they weren't hiring people with no experience. Our hometown, which I really want to get back to, has a police department that is actively recruiting right now. He can go on unemployment for up to one year. If he does get laid off, he'll get the summer off and will probably still be off after the baby is born, so that help will be invaluable. We'll definitely stay here through the summer so I can birth with the midwife I have.

At least this happened just days before we signed a 14 month lease on our house!
#46 of 57 Old 05-23-2009, 01:31 PM

Sorry Lindsay, that just sounds so hard, especially bc you are so far along. Hang in there!
#47 of 57 Old 05-23-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
it looks like my husband is going to get laid off.
I'm sorry, mama. I am glad there are some prospects and that you dodged the lease bullet.

I'm boring with nothing out of the ordinary to report. I'm tired. See? Boring.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

Lucy, mama to Silas and Adelaide
#48 of 57 Old 05-23-2009, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so sorry Talula... there's so much of that "going round" and it just stinks. I'm glad you've been able to find some positives though, and hopefully it'll work out in the end. I forget... were you in the Treasure Mapping thread too? Maybe make a vision board or other visualization tool to help you focus on what you can do now and in the near future?

Hang in there...

#49 of 57 Old 05-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
I'm so sorry Talula... there's so much of that "going round" and it just stinks. I'm glad you've been able to find some positives though, and hopefully it'll work out in the end. I forget... were you in the Treasure Mapping thread too? Maybe make a vision board or other visualization tool to help you focus on what you can do now and in the near future?

Hang in there...
no I'm not in that thread...link?

Yeah, a lot of people are getting laid off. Unfortunately, Arnold has a vendetta against CA Corrections Dept. The union president and him are not on good terms and he is being pretty vindictive. Of almost 5,000 layoffs for the state, over 3600 are from the Dept of Corrections, with about 2,000 COs being laid off.
#50 of 57 Old 05-23-2009, 05:56 PM

Lindsay, I'm so sorry to read about your dh's lay-off. Why lay off corrections officers? It seems like the prisons are in dire need of correction and attention themselves, why eliminate those positions? Rhetorical questions Hugs to you at this stressful time.

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#51 of 57 Old 05-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenomicsGirl View Post
Lindsay, I'm so sorry to read about your dh's lay-off. Why lay off corrections officers? It seems like the prisons are in dire need of correction and attention themselves, why eliminate those positions? Rhetorical questions Hugs to you at this stressful time.
Because Arnold hates corrections. He and the union president have been at odds for some time. It really makes no sense. They are threatening to lay every CO with less than 15 months experience....which will end up actually costing the state more money becuase the prisons in less desirable areas are staffed with a high percentage of new officers...if all of those officers are gone, that means more overtime for the higher paid higher seniority officers.
#52 of 57 Old 05-23-2009, 06:07 PM

Talula Fairie I'm right there with you in layoff land.
#53 of 57 Old 05-23-2009, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Talula- well, the "official" treasure map is over for the year, but lots of people make vision boards or moon boards or similar items whenever they feel the need. The 2009 treasure map thread is here (people still post there, and the first few posts give the general "what is this" outline).

This is my third year of doing the "official" map and it's been an interesting experience. My current "thing" is making intention specific or seasonal specific prayer beads (or meditation beads if the term "prayer" doesn't fly for you)... I found a spiffy book called "Making Pagan Prayer Beads" and kind of went from there. It's nice because beads cost just a few dollars total (so my budget can stand it), they're easy to carry so the reminder to focus my intent/thoughts on whatever it may be is always "at hand", there are lots of options so there's always something that speaks directly to whatever my current need is, and they're an easy craft to do with small kiddos around since you can do it in tiny chunks of time/put the supplies in a tiny box up high!

This is the necklace I made for this season and these are the beads I made for my birthday as a focus for the whole year (amethyst, purple flourite, smokey quartz, and aventurine).

I'm going to be making a set for birth as well... but I could imagine a set of beads to carry in your pocket or as a necklace/bracelet/anklet that would include stones or symbols that say "security" or "family" or "balance" or "joy" or "financial health" or things like that.

#54 of 57 Old 05-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Banned

Ah ok, so it's basically a visualization map thing. I have actually done that with a folder instead of a board, and it does totally work! Maybe I will try it.
#55 of 57 Old 05-24-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Because Arnold hates corrections. He and the union president have been at odds for some time. It really makes no sense. They are threatening to lay every CO with less than 15 months experience....which will end up actually costing the state more money becuase the prisons in less desirable areas are staffed with a high percentage of new officers...if all of those officers are gone, that means more overtime for the higher paid higher seniority officers.
See that makes no sense to me. I can see a business who is loosing customers having to do layoffs but department of corrections, that is just silly. They are not running out of "customers", as a matter of fact isn't it the opposite?
Hopefully, you guys will figure something out if it does happen.

#56 of 57 Old 05-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernillep View Post
See that makes no sense to me. I can see a business who is loosing customers having to do layoffs but department of corrections, that is just silly. They are not running out of "customers", as a matter of fact isn't it the opposite?
Hopefully, you guys will figure something out if it does happen.
Yes!! Our prisons are horrifically overcrowded. At Folsom where my husband works, they have about double the amount of inmates the prison was designed for. Arnold's solution? Deport the illegals in the prison system (all 19,000 of them, many of whom are too violent for their own country to take back) and let out many of the non violent offenders, about 80% of whom will be back within 6 months.

It boggles the mind!

We have plans for places he can apply to. He may go to the police academy while on unemployment or apply for a position in the sheriff's department.
#57 of 57 Old 05-25-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
We have plans for places he can apply to. He may go to the police academy while on unemployment or apply for a position in the sheriff's department.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardust swallower View Post
She works mostly wedding-related events with a professional photographer. Her last name is Warren and you see her pics and find out about her here:

http://www.heatherahrens.com/blog/20...efanie-warren/
Thanks for the info stardust!

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page