-{May 18-24 Weekly Wonder}- - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 57 Old 05-18-2009, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey there amazing mamas and mamas-to-be!

So this week I meet yet another set of midwives/obs and make my final decision as to who my care providers will be. Of course, I also have an appointment (complete with yummy glucola) with my current midwife/ob team so it's going to be a very medical babe sort of week.

Anyone else find that they take more care with their personal care on a midwife/care provider day? I've noticed I make sure I've had a shower and shaved, my clothes are clean (no PB&J toddler finger prints), I select a "nice" headscarf or take the time to braid my hair into a covering, etc. Nothing crazy, and nothing I wouldn't have done on a daily basis before kiddos, but more than I might do otherwise!

In other news, dd2 is sick so I'm getting even less sleep than normal. On the up side, it means my bladder isn't the one waking me up and dh is helping out a lot with house stuff. Hypnobabies is going well, I have a doula I love, the sun is shining, and spring is totally sprung around here. Plus I got to go to a great book sale and I found some really nice books for a dollar each.

So, how goes the week?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 57 Old 05-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Banned

It's hot as heck here, we're already hitting triple digits (thankfully I have excellent AC) which my garden appears to appreciate. It's going to be another looooooong summer, I can tell already. At least I will have lots of yummy veggies to eat when it's all over, hopefully.

This baby seems to kick really hard in the same spots over and over. My poor, poor bladder. The incontinence is horrible and I am always leaking it feels like. I need new panties so I can wear pads all the time!

I'm too big for my XL Motherhood briefs...they must have changed their sizing becuase I was only one size smaller in my last pregnancy and their XL was huge on me. I am like underwear less lately because I can't stand anything touching or pinching me! My stretch marks on my sides and hips are starting up again and they hurt. And I can only stand one pair of my pants for the most part, so I just wash them all the time I need to buy new bras too. My boobs hath exploded. I'm thinking of trying Bravado this time around because I just can't afford Bella Materna.

I am still dealing with nausea and vomiting. I am now convinced it's not going to go away. And the reflux. And the sciatica. And the difficulty sleeping. And the irritability. And and and and and. I HATE THIS PREGNANCY! I HATE IT!!!! /vent

I have been nesting a lot, organizing, cleaning. My yard and garden are awesome!

We are two weeks off from payday and are already to the point where nothing we have I want to eat. It's not that we don't have any food, we have tons, I am just meh about it all and everything requires me cooking from scratch.
#3 of 57 Old 05-18-2009, 05:46 PM

I hurt my back a few weeks ago and it keeps flaring up. I am probably doing too much, but when it feels good I feel good and I want to do things!

I haven't been swimming in almost 2 weeks between the injury and a cold. I am sad about that. but I don't think swimming with plugged ears and on vicodin is probably a very good idea

the baby is doing great, he has a bony butt that sticks out above my belly button, it is really funny. today he had the hiccups for the first time that I know of...

I passed my GTT last week, borderline low iron so I am going to pick up some floradix. Otherwise everything is going well!

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#4 of 57 Old 05-18-2009, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

I'll admit... dd1 asked today "mama, why does your belly need all those line-y things when you have a baby in it?". Sigh. The joy of stretch marks.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#5 of 57 Old 05-18-2009, 07:21 PM

Good luck deciding Clay. I'm the same way when I have a MW appt. Otherwise I'm just too lazy to make myself look presentable.

Talula, I'm insanely uncomfortable some days too and just want to cry.

I'm nesting while I still have the enegry. I'm organizing everything and getting rid of anything we don't need. I'm almost done gathering my birth an pp supplies. I'm hoping to get it all done before I get too big and it gets too hot here in FL.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#6 of 57 Old 05-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Banned

to you too Jilian. It won't last forever, I just keep telling myself that. And I lay down a lot
#7 of 57 Old 05-18-2009, 08:12 PM

Things are mostly going well here - can't complain. It's my birthday tomorrow and dh just took ds out to get me something (I assume)...which means a few mintues of quiet time to myself! And I think dh is getting a baby sitter tomorrow night so that means a night out. Looking forward to that!

The other day I was getting ready to shower, and my ds came in while I was undressing. He hasn't really seen me naked since we stopped nursing a few months ago. He's 2 and his vocab is still somewhat limited. So he points to one of my big boobs and says "Mommy...ball?"

Glad he and dh like them because they drive me nuts!

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#8 of 57 Old 05-18-2009, 09:37 PM

Michigan, That is funny! Happy birthday and have a fun night out with your H!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#9 of 57 Old 05-18-2009, 09:47 PM

thanks, Jilian.

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#10 of 57 Old 05-18-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

Anyone else find that they take more care with their personal care on a midwife/care provider day? I've noticed I make sure I've had a shower and shaved, my clothes are clean (no PB&J toddler finger prints), I select a "nice" headscarf or take the time to braid my hair into a covering, etc. Nothing crazy, and nothing I wouldn't have done on a daily basis before kiddos, but more than I might do otherwise!
Funny you say this-bc I just read all the records from my midwife with ds, and there is a lot in the beginning about my presentation-my cleanliness, my dress, etc... I am sure it is just like being a therapist where we need to note all of that to get a measure of where someone is mentally.

So shave those legs ladies! :
#11 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Happy Birthday MM!

#12 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 12:16 PM

Happy Birthday MM, I hope that you have a wonderful day! My DH surprised me with a sitter on my birthday as well and it was great!

Wombat, I do take extra time to get dressed and ready for the day when I see my doctor. Although, lately I find myself thinking, I better do this every day just incase there is an emergency.

I am starting to wonder if the pain I am experiencing is related to SPD. I don't have extemely severe symptoms like joints grinding but I do have severe pain on my backside inbetween my hips. I also have a sort of painful ache in between my legs. I have my 28 week appt. this Friday so I will mention it to my doctor. I will also mention it to my chiro. I wonder if my doctor will just dismiss it as being normal for pergnancy.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#13 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 02:02 PM

Happy birthday MM!

Graduated from grad school this past weekend and so am now at loose ends.. no papers to write, no papers to grade, no deadlines, no nothing. I've got all the stuff I had to put off while finishing my thesis, etc. staring me in the face and don't know where to start.

Baby has been so active the last few days. Yesterday I swear it moved. all. day. And when I lay down on my left side to nap or sleep, it's like it is trampolining off the bed. Really enjoy it but boy can it be distracting!

Tomorrow I have the GTT test which I'm pretty nervous about. Can't believe we're on 2 week appointments already.
#14 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 02:32 PM

Doing well here. I am getting back into walking every morning after such a long time w/o moving a lot w/ MS and the SCH. My sciatica is so improved from the excercise, thankfully. The kids and I moved the chicken pen yesterday closer to the house. We had the goat in w/ the chickens, but she was eating all the chickens feed. That goat can get out of almost any pen, but I think we finally fixed the problem. Dh is going to get a neighbor's bull tomorrow to breed back our cow. Set up the appt. to send steer to butcher in 2 weeks. Things w/ the animals are coming together, now if Molly breeds back quickly! Oh we need to build a small coop for the chickens, kids can do most of that.

We are slowly plugging away at the kids bath. Dh put up the backerboard, but we need another piece to finish, then we can tile. I can't wait.

I need to order a birth pool still, waiting on another amazon gift card from swagbucks before I do that. I need to make a baby, end of pregnancy, after baby list. All the clothes and diapers are washed since I got them down w/ the kids summer clothes.

I am undecided on what to do about Innish and potty learning. He doesn't seem ready, my other two boys were not ready until close to 3y/o. Innish will turn three right when the baby arrives so I thought maybe dh could work on that while he is off the three months. I am also working on getting Eiley to take a cup so I can phase out the bottle and go only to food, cup and nursing. She is an amazing eater thankfully.

I also need to decide about school. Need to order school books for Makaley and Arden, a few things for the younger ones. I think we will start the last week in July and do 3-4 weeks before the baby arrives, then take two months off after baby as usual.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#15 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 02:42 PM

I am finally meeting with our midwife today. Jeesh, it only took me 26 weeks. I have been getting random prenatal care with friends that are midwives and my dr, so I have not been neglectful or anything. I just realized that I really need someone to care for me.

We just got all of our old videos put onto dvd, so I will be posting Elijah's birth later tonight! I am so psyched about sharing this with you guys-it was beautiful and I can't wait to see it again.

My summer is going to be so busy, I really think it might fly by. I wish we could peek into the future and meet our baby really quick. I think I would enjoy the pregnancy a lot more if I were not just counting down the days until I find out who this little being is.

Anyways, may is filled up, June is my baby shower, my best friends bridal shower that I am throwing, and a trip out to my parents and sister's with all 8 grandchildren. I am planning some (car) camping trips nearby, too, and then we will have bbq's and such. Hopefully this all helps occupy me. I am not due until the end of August.
#16 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats Balcony!

Potty learning- dd2 is two next month and while she is obviously "capable" (she can and does "hold" and "go" with intent, not just "oopsie") she has zero interest in it. Well, that's not totally true... she knows what the potty is for (she'll tell you) and she likes to play with the small potty and put her dolls on it. But she gets very annoyed if you suggest that she actually use it herself! DD1 was totally diaper free at 3yo and overnight dry at 4yo so I'm not stressing over it or anything, but it would be nice to have only one in dipes.

Summer fun- hmmmm.... well, we had the book sale this past weekend, then the last weekend of May is the festival and dd2's birthday. Then I have a mother's day massage scheduled for June 1st. Then dd2's actual birthday, dd1's preschool graduation, my MIL moving to be near us (she is currently about 4 hours away, she'll be moving to a house a half hour away), a photo shoot, and hopefully a final trip to Boston to visit friends and pick things up at IKEA in June. July is mostly empty though... I really need to figure out something to stick into July to keep me focused on the present.

#17 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 03:41 PM

Happy Birthday Christina!! Hope you are having a great day!

Quote:
Anyone else find that they take more care with their personal care on a midwife/care provider day? I've noticed I make sure I've had a shower and shaved, my clothes are clean (no PB&J toddler finger prints), I select a "nice" headscarf or take the time to braid my hair into a covering, etc.
I am totally guilty of this also. And I usually take it a step further... because our midwife does all home visits I usually spend a good hour or so before our appointments making sure every area of our house is spotless. DH thinks I'm .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalconyBirdie View Post
Tomorrow I have the GTT test which I'm pretty nervous about. Can't believe we're on 2 week appointments already.
Congrats on graduating and : for your GTT test!

My week is going okay so far... I am starting to lighten my workload now. I trying to take an afternoon nap as per my midwife's request but I always feel like I could be using that time to accomplish more important things.

My girl friends are driving me crazy with almost daily calls about the shower (end of June). Nonsense like: can they shape the cookies into onesies... what are my thoughts on diaper cakes... how many types of tea should there be (its a high tea theme)... :

Have any of you ladies started looking into maternity photographers yet? We don't seem to have many options here in Central Fl and it's frustrating the hell outta me.

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#18 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 04:45 PM
Banned

I remember the days when I could have a spotless house if I just cleaned it enough. Cleaning your house when you have two preschoolers is like shoveling snow when it's still snowing.
#19 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Cleaning your house when you have two preschoolers is like shoveling snow when it's still snowing.

But you have to keep shoveling or you'll be buried so deep you can't find the door. Or maybe that's just my house?

Maternity photos- with dd1 and dd2 I had a friend take some pictures. They came out really well and it was a lot of fun/laid back/ This time dd1 has been taking some shots but dh gave me an amazing mama's day gift... a 90 minute prenatal massage here and a 90 minute photo shoot with this artist. I'm really excited!

Actually, I've been trying to do something "new" with each pregnancy. With dd1 I made belly casts, with dd2 I made a birth necklace with my ddc, and this time I'm having professional photos (and I'm thinking about maybe a belly henna in July).

#20 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Banned

Well of course! I was just saying it's pretty impossible to get my house spotless and have it stay that way for longer than 10 minutes. Unless I am willing to clean nonstop, and I'm not even able to do that this pregnant. I do clean for an hour or two every day, and my husband does the same. Our house is not trashed, but it could be more organized and I am dying to deep clean it (again! we just deep cleaned it like two months ago and I am talking scrubbed every inch).
#21 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 05:30 PM

My friend has taken most of my pregnancy pics, she does a wonderful job. I'm thinking of doing a belly cast this time. I have not done it before.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#22 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
I remember the days when I could have a spotless house if I just cleaned it enough. Cleaning your house when you have two preschoolers is like shoveling snow when it's still snowing.
Ditto for me, except replace two preschoolers with two dirt tracking shedding dogs and a cat

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#23 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
and a 90 minute photo shoot with this artist. I'm really excited!
I can imagine! There are some incredible images on that site... will you be posting a few when you get them done? :

#24 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

I do the every-so-often "reset" method of cleaning... but I'd love if I could wake up some day and discover the deep cleaning fairy had visited in the night. If you'd asked me ten years ago if I'd blow a wish on a clean house I'd have looked at you like you had two heads. And now...

photos- I hope so. I haven't had my initial consult so I don't know what exactly to expect during the shoot (DH said "she has some really neat ideas") and I don't know if I can post the picks she takes. But I'd love to share!

#25 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshynbaby View Post
Ditto for me, except replace two preschoolers with two dirt tracking shedding dogs and a cat
Oh yes, I forgot to mention my THREE cats. That pee everywhere. That enzyme cleaner and lots and lots of vinegar and cleaning my hardwood floors every few days is the only way to combat this. I also wash my sofa cover every week and all the bedding in the house....it's amazing how much needs to be done just to 'maintain'
#26 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut Chronicles View Post

Have any of you ladies started looking into maternity photographers yet? We don't seem to have many options here in Central Fl and it's frustrating the hell outta me.
where are you in Central FL? My sister is Orlando and does amazing photos of all kinds. Let me know if you're interested!

mama to magical 6 yr old and a full moon Aug baby:
#27 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardust swallower View Post
where are you in Central FL? My sister is Orlando and does amazing photos of all kinds. Let me know if you're interested!
That is awesome! I'm in Windermere... does she have a website?

#28 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I do the every-so-often "reset" method of cleaning... but I'd love if I could wake up some day and discover the deep cleaning fairy had visited in the night. If you'd asked me ten years ago if I'd blow a wish on a clean house I'd have looked at you like you had two heads. And now...

photos- I hope so. I haven't had my initial consult so I don't know what exactly to expect during the shoot (DH said "she has some really neat ideas") and I don't know if I can post the picks she takes. But I'd love to share!
Did you see the naked pregnant lady in the snow on her site? Whoa. I like some of her work, can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

I have photographer friends stopping by to do pregnancy photos a lot starting this week. The first is on Thursday, I will def post them as they come in.
#29 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 09:56 PM

Coconut -- a high tea theme sounds awesome! Probably a stupid question, but what's a diaper cake though?

Mamatoabunch -- So jealous of all your livestock. Do you farm?
#30 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalconyBirdie View Post
Probably a stupid question, but what's a diaper cake though?
Not a stupid question at all... I wasn't familiar with them myself until I moved to the US. It's basically diapers (usually disposables) made in the shape of a cake: CLICK

Some of them are pretty darn expensive! I keep looking at them and thinking man I could buy a whole cloth diaper stash with that amount of money lol.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page